As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shovel Knight] Strike the Earth!

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    That rainbow spewing statue is a beautiful creation.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    It's something that the game doesn't teach you about, but it seems like the most intuitive thing once you get it going.

It was the best thing about that infuriating stage.

edzepp on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I keep clicking on this thread and then closing the window because I don't want to spoil anything.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I just finished the game, it's awesome. The Tower of Fate in particular has some great what-the-hell moments to really hype things up. There's so much personality surrounding all the characters and their simple, but effective, archetypes that I actually got some feels from the ending.

Keep shovelin!

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I feel like I have to take breaks from the game due to how annoying some of the rooms are. Mind you, I realize that's part of the point, but still.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    That best friends video covers king, specter, and plague knight, plus three of the kickstarter non-knight knight fights for people worried about spoilers in it.

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    This is one of the best parts of the game, so mega boss spoilers, but how many of you flipped out when...
    Black Knight went One Winged Angel/Full Vergil mode during the final battle? My favorite boss fight in the game.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    That best friends video covers king, specter, and plague knight, plus three of the kickstarter non-knight knight fights for people worried about spoilers in it.

Their fight with Baz was great, as it was always going to be.

I really hope they continue that.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Just beat the game. How exactly does one go about playing the alternate characters? Or is that not 'in' yet?

Magus` wrote: »
    Just beat the game. How exactly does one go about playing the alternate characters? Or is that not 'in' yet?

Not in yet. They'll be adding the King Knight, Specter Knight, and Plague Knight modes in the coming months.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    How do you get the fishing rod? I just beat Treasure Knight and I don't know if I'm supposed to have it yet.

Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    How do you get the fishing rod? I just beat Treasure Knight and I don't know if I'm supposed to have it yet.

Buy it from Chester in the village.

That's also where you get the Chaos Sphere.

It also took me a while to find him as I didn't notice I could walk through that part

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    my friend Jammer made a review of this game for everyone still on the fence - he's a neuroscientist that's also a platforming conesuir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgmj8zMiDQ&feature=youtu.be

imdointhis on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    This game is surprisingly quite good. The gameplay is addictive, the music is quite good and memorable, the level design pretty good although suffers from Ninja Gaiden syndrome where most of the difficulty is hitting you into bottomless pits (makes me think of AVGN's rant about not even needing a health bar since you're almost always going to die by falling). I actually think they got a little too dependent on this tactic to make the game harder. Oh and the last checkpoint before the boss checkpoint for propeller knight stage, fuck that shit. way to change the rules completely from the first screen to the second.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    You can break the check point globes for more gold, but you go back to the previous checkpoint when you die.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Huh, neither the Clockwork Tower or the Flying Machine were as hard as I thought they'd be. The Tinker Knight is kind of easy even in his second form, and the level itself is kind of short.

I'll agree that the knockback on hits has resulted in more than my fair share of pit deaths. Those flying enemies in The Flying Machine that blow you back are a pain in the butt. The fire magic does mitigate that slightly though.

Lives are one old-school thing I am so glad they didn't bring back.

edzepp on
    I don't think the goal was to make a NES game that was super hard, just super good. And I think they succeeded there. It's also considerably longer and with more content than any Mega Man game. Heck, Duck Tales can be speedrun in less than 15:00 minutes.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    This game seriously is very, very good. The Dust Gloves and Propeller Blade especially are very fun items to use (I try to avoid using the Phase Locket, though).

I've encountered a very annoying bug twice, though. When defeating Tinker Knight's first form, sometimes the screen doesn't follow Shovel Knight's fall to the second part of the battle. Instead, when the boss music starts, the game suddenly switches to the correct screen only for Shovel Knight to be completely unresponsive. He just waves his shovel in the air while Tinker Knight rolls around firing missiles and whatnot. I'm not 100% certain, but I think defeating Tinker Knight's first form with the downward shovel strike and then going off screen with it causes the bug.

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Questions: how does this look on the 3DS and is it worth the price of admission? It looks fun but I wanna be sure it's worth $15.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It's definitely worth the money, it looks great on the 3DS, the smaller screen really helps the appearance of the sprites, and the 3D is layered nicely.

• Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    This game seriously is very, very good. The Dust Gloves and Propeller Blade especially are very fun items to use (I try to avoid using the Phase Locket, though).

I've encountered a very annoying bug twice, though. When defeating Tinker Knight's first form, sometimes the screen doesn't follow Shovel Knight's fall to the second part of the battle. Instead, when the boss music starts, the game suddenly switches to the correct screen only for Shovel Knight to be completely unresponsive. He just waves his shovel in the air while Tinker Knight rolls around firing missiles and whatnot. I'm not 100% certain, but I think defeating Tinker Knight's first form with the downward shovel strike and then going off screen with it causes the bug.

Theres an actual bug notice on the Kickstarter Page. It says don't land on the ground at the same time as Tinker Knight but dosn't specify when you shouldn't do this in the first phase.

Blood Drive on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    So on PC, how do you swap relics? I just started and I have no idea how to change equipment.

EDIT: NVM figured it out

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Viskod wrote: »
    It's definitely worth the money, it looks great on the 3DS, the smaller screen really helps the appearance of the sprites, and the 3D is layered nicely.
    Is it not out in Europe yet? I can't seem to find it on the UK 3DS e-shop, just a details listing on the website.

Edit: Never mind just read the KS update...

Zilla360 on
    NH844lc.png | PSN | GACSALB.jpg My Blog |🏳️‍⚧️♥️
    Also a quick tip since the game never actually says this, you have to switch armor back at the armor outpost. You can't do it during a regular level.

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    This game is super great! I actually double dipped on the 3DS version despite getting the Wii U copy from Kickstarting. Really solid gameplay, and a great soundtrack!

EDIT: Never mind about the purple armor, was right under my nose the whole time. Though I wonder what the empty slot is in the armory...

Niceguyeddie616 on
    Man, I already want a sequel to this game.
    Starring Shovel Knight and Shield Knight together

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I skipped the Kickstarter because it seems like there's dozens of indies saying "we're making a NES game" and it winds up just being pixely and mediocre, but holy poop on a stick these guys actually did it. Fantastic stuff.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    So I tried this game a bit.

It really is quite fun. I got all the way to Plague Knight (who seems to be the first wake up boss, since Black, Spectre, and King were super easy but Plague actually attacks and dodges). Met the Baz - is this the same dude from Divekick, only huge'd up? What's the relation?

Steam ID: Right here.
    Anyone think Rieze feels like he was inspired by Tales of Symphonia's Lloyd Irving? I mean, nothing really conclusive is there, but there's somethig about his overall design. Maybe it's the clothes, or the hair, or his two scarves, or his "Knight's Vows"
    Drascin wrote: »

It really is quite fun. I got all the way to Plague Knight (who seems to be the first wake up boss, since Black, Spectre, and King were super easy but Plague actually attacks and dodges). Met the Baz - is this the same dude from Divekick, only huge'd up? What's the relation?
    He's a running gag from the Two Best Friends Play series. A rejected Street Fighter character, or so the joke goes.

Two of the ( more than two) guys from the show donated enough during the Kickstarter to have a character added to the game as an extra boss.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

Long story, but the Baz is a Street Fighter II "rejected" design that's a running gag on the Two Best Friends Play channel.

They were big supporters of both Divekick and Shovel Knight, and so the Baz had made his way into real games.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Whoo, I beat Shovel Knight last night. Such a fantastic game, easily one of my favorite games of this year and probably of all time. I was rocking the Gold Armor pretty much the entire time because why the fuck not? I liked the swag factor. Favorite bosses were Specter Knight, Propeller Knight, Mole Knight, and
    Black Knight in Tower of Fate. DEM WINGS! DEM METEORS!

Speaking of Tower of Fate... [super mega ultimate end of game spoilersssszzz]:
    Yoooo how about that boss rush at the end?! I love how you drop down and they're all having dinner, that was hilarious.

The final-final boss fight was pretty tense. I didn't die, but I had to use both health ichors and make liberal use of the Phase Locket to avoid the projectiles. It took me a good while and maybe that was because it was my first time seeing it, or because of how finicky Shield Knight's positioning could be, I dunno. Pretty awesome fight, though.

My final tally for deaths was 95. Welp.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    +1 for game beaten. So end spoilers inbound.
    I had Black Knight pegged as secretly being Shield Knight from almost the beginning. ...Until the last fight with him and the resulting dialog pretty much spells it out.

The only true "Screw you designer" moment I had was the final room with the rising blocks, specifically the one block near the end that wouldn't pop up, forcing you to take a leap of faith. Wasn't gonna put up with that, so a quick 'tube video to find out how many more jumps I needed, and realizing I was right at the end, just cheezed the last 2 jumps with the propeller blade.

First form boss got dicey, I came real close to getting knocked into the abyss. Second form confused me initially. First I tried staying near Shield Knight thinking she'd block the orbs, but no. Then I kept bouncing off her shield to get a slice in... before I stopped being stupid and slow and instead started bouncing on the boss's head for more damage.

And boss rush was awesome. It's embarrassing how many times during the regular game I leaned on the chalices and phase locket for the bosses. Here though took them all on and made chumps of them. No achievement for doing the noble thing and rescuing them though? Boo-urns.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I think my favorite thing about Shovel Knight might be the tiny one-pixel squat you can do by pressing down. It's completely useless, but I like being able to do a little dance while I wait for moving platforms and such.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    edited June 2014
    I had Black Knight pegged as secretly being Shield Knight from almost the beginning. ...Until the last fight with him and the resulting dialog pretty much spells it out.

The only true "Screw you designer" moment I had was the final room with the rising blocks, specifically the one block near the end that wouldn't pop up, forcing you to take a leap of faith. Wasn't gonna put up with that, so a quick 'tube video to find out how many more jumps I needed, and realizing I was right at the end, just cheezed the last 2 jumps with the propeller blade.

First form boss got dicey, I came real close to getting knocked into the abyss. Second form confused me initially. First I tried staying near Shield Knight thinking she'd block the orbs, but no. Then I kept bouncing off her shield to get a slice in... before I stopped being stupid and slow and instead started bouncing on the boss's head for more damage.

And boss rush was awesome. It's embarrassing how many times during the regular game I leaned on the chalices and phase locket for the bosses. Here though took them all on and made chumps of them. No achievement for doing the noble thing and rescuing them though? Boo-urns.
    getting to talk to them once more is a better reward than an achievement, anyway.

Also, try doing it in the Ornate Armor; King Knight gets an extra line.

Enlong on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

getting to talk to them once more is a better reward than an achievement, anyway.

Also, try doing it in the Ornate Armor; King Knight gets an extra line.
    I'll flip it around. There ought to be an achievement for leaving their asses to hang. :P

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    one of those shame achievements

CD World Tour status:
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

Oh jeez, now I feel dumb. I had no idea you could bounce on her head, I was bouncing off of Shield Knight and doing normal slashes. No wonder that fight took so long.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I'm really loving this game, though I'm trying to take my time with it. I'm trying to go through about one level a day. The music might be my favorite part. I've found myself idling in the village while I study just for background music. So good!

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm really loving this game, though I'm trying to take my time with it. I'm trying to go through about one level a day. The music might be my favorite part. I've found myself idling in the village while I study just for background music. So good!

You might be interested in picking up the soundtrack and the arranged soundtrack then! You can choose your price and there's a ton of music to listen to

JtgVX0H.png