As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shovel Knight] Strike the Earth!

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm really loving this game, though I'm trying to take my time with it. I'm trying to go through about one level a day. The music might be my favorite part. I've found myself idling in the village while I study just for background music. So good!

You might find this interesting, then: Shovel Knight soundtrack on bandcamp as well as an arranged version also on bandcamp.

The fact that Jake Kaufman did the music makes total sense to me now. He does good work.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Loving the game so far. got 3 bosses down.

The only annoying thing is the game's speed seems to be slightly inconsistent, which isn't gamebreaking but kinda annoying. Playing this on steam, and I've got a decent PC that runs most modern games anywhere from medium to high settings. So a 2-d sidescroller shouldn't be challenging my pc at all.

It's easy to notice when there's moving platforms on screen. The platform will be moving at a certain speed, then just very slightly slow down for a moment then return to normal speed. I also notice it in my jumps when there's more stuff on screen.

Edit: I guess maybe my computer was having trouble that other day or something. Haven't seen it happen once today.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I'll be picking that up when I get home tonight. That is wonderful. Thanks everyone.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I like how the boss themes give the Order knights nicknames. "The Apparition", "The Bounty Hunter", "The Decadent Dandy".

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    For fun:

J&!JSMP

IM&SGC14

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Just finished. Pretty much loved it. Some nit picky gameplay stuff that I found frustrating, but the art and music were simply choice. Definitely picking up both the soundtrack and the arranged from bandcamp. I had no idea that virt did the soundtrack for this, totally makes sense now. AND the girl who did Mega Man helped on some tracks?! Jeez, this game really did have tons of love put into it.

Easily one of my favorite games this year, so good that I wrote a steam review about it (Spoilered for size):
    As a startup game designer myself, this is the kind of quality game that I hope to create some day. Something that obviously has months and months of care and hard work put into it, regardless of how simple the game is. Shovel Knight is in short, a joyful walk down NEStolgia days with inspiring tight gameplay, beautiful and admiring pixel art, and an abundance of incredibly polished chiptune music. I was a kickstarter backer since it was announced, and I was very worried with the few delays they made, but the final product has proven to be 100% worth the price of admission.

You play as an adventurer Shovel Knight, our pogosticking protagonist who's searching for his long lost companion Shield Knight. Both of them were exploring the mysterious Tower of Fate, when the dark magic of a cursed amulet cast them out and sealed the tower. When Shovel Knight awoke, Shield Knight was no where to be found, but instead The Enchantress has risen to power and spreads evil across the land. Now Shovel Knight must quest out on a search for his long lost companion. Also in his way are several other cleverly themed knights in an ensemble known as "The Order of No Quarter", each with their own unique character and fighting specialties.

The gameplay itself is a side-scrolling mixture between NES classics like Mega Man, Super Mario 3, Castlevania, and DuckTales. It also happens to take some modernization from newer games. For example: there are no lives per se, but instead when you die, three money bags spring where you bit the dust, and you must recover them to save from losing any gold a la the notoriously difficult Souls series. Along your journey you can spend gold you collect to upgrade your shovel to perform new attacks, or purchase different armors that all have different effects. You can also buy relics from a traveling salesman which allow you to shoot fireballs, dash in mid air, and go invincible for a short period of time among several other abilities.

The art is very impressive for that 8-bit pixel look that so many developers are caught on lately (myself included). The animations are very characteristic and help bring the game to life with ease. The game can almost guarantee a giggle the first time you see Shovel Knight dig through a treasure chest. Speaking of the giggles, the dialog is extremely humorous and doesn't allow the game to take itself too seriously. It tries for the casual joke or two at the expense of actual game knowledge, which helps make the game feel more alive and interesting. These two components help seal the game and bring it to life. However, there are a couple reused assets for enemies. For example different mage enemies, and rat like enemies are made different only by their color palettes. A small nitpick to an otherwise gorgeous and endearing world.

Finally, the music is possibly my favorite thing about the whole game. Jake Kaufman(Shovel Knight's composer and OCRemix veteran code-named "virt") is bound to have put himself on the map with this soundtrack, and with the help of Manami Matsumae(Mega Man composer) it's really no surprise. Each tune is specifically designed to run on actual NES hardware and helps secure that classic retro feel to the game. Thus, the music in this game not only shines, it radiates light in every way. Every level has it's own distinct composition, while each boss has a remixed version of that same song. It's instantly catchy chiptunes will have you hook, line, and sinker throughout all of the almost 50 compositions. Jake has also been kind enough to offer the entire soundtrack, as well as a second full arrangement album from various artists, each for a "you name it" price tag on his BandCamp page.

Shovel Knight is an astounding achievement that just plain works. Every person attached to this project put their heart and soul into the game, and it shows in every way. Rarely do I say that an independent video game has a shot at making it to Game of the Year status, but Shovel Knight easily digs its way to the top of the list. A must-have gem in any Steam, 3DS, or Wii U library. (9/10)

KoopahTroopah on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @UncleSporky‌ you were very correct. The 3D on the 3DS version is perfect!

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      I love how this game does music. The way that each major character has a musical motif that shows up whenever they are features heavily in something is really cool. Reminds me of the musical direction of Final Fantasy VI.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
      I cannot overstate how wonderful this game is. It's so, so good. And the music is going to be in my head for a long time.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
      edited July 2014
      Hearing parts of the main theme in the last black knight fight and the final fight just adds to the already great atmosphere in those battles.

Viskod on
    • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
      Do the sparkling pits only show up if you have the fishing rod equipped or can you just run across them with anything?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
      Dr. Chaos wrote: »
      Do the sparkling pits only show up if you have the fishing rod equipped or can you just run across them with anything?

I saw them without the fishing rod equipped, but I did have the rod in my inventory. I didn't even realize that's what the sparkles were for until after I ended the game.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
      You can see them without having bought the rod, they're just there.

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
      Thanks. Figured as much but the game is pretty oldschool so I wasn't sure if there was a requirement to reveal their existence.

The lazy griffin midbosses are an early contender for my favorite enemy of the game. They could not be less interested in their job.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
      In terms of enemy I most wanted to murder, the propeller enemy from Propeller Knight's stage. YOU know the one.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      In terms of enemy I most wanted to murder, the propeller enemy from Propeller Knight's stage. YOU know the one.

vB3PYmK.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
      No way those guys are cake no matter where they are. He's got to mean one of two kinds of propeller knights. either the green one that shows up to blow you off of shit, or that other one that jumps the fuck around everywhere.

I think Sporky just loves the flying rats.

I concur.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      So far the anchor throwing knight is probably my most hated enemy. So annoying.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
      Throw anchors back at him. That's what I do. Or I Horn him. I love that Horn.

Charged shovel slashes also work wonders.

edited July 2014
      Game is excellent so far.

Levels are balanced well but the bosses from King Knight up to Tinker Knight have been pretty disappointingly easy. You can crush them all on your first try without ever using a chalice.

Dr. Chaos on
      Just wait until New Game+ :)

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
      I really enjoyed the Tinker Knight battle. One of those situations where you know the language of games so well, and you know the developers know that language just as well, and the whole thing plays out perfectly.

That battle also nearly got my ass handed to me. I never managed to work out out the proper approach to the second stage, and hadn't been bothering to keep my ichors stocked.

• V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
      I just picked this up. I've never been a retro fan/NES-like game kind of guy. But what a game.

NES tunes. Is there anything catchier?

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
      Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
      "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
    • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
      Viskod wrote: »
      No way those guys are cake no matter where they are. He's got to mean one of two kinds of propeller knights. either the green one that shows up to blow you off of shit, or that other one that jumps the fuck around everywhere.

Yeah, it's the green one.

I don't want to admit how many times I died during one section. :P

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
      edited July 2014
      The relic that makes you temporary invincible is just too overpowered vs bosses and it's one of the first relics you can pick up!

The bosses just don't last long enough and the spell isn't very expensive so you can use it a lot during the fight to play pretty recklessly and still win before you run out of health without having to learn the bosse's patterns.

Fireflash on
      PSN: PatParadize
      Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
      Steam Friend code: 45386507
    • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
      edited July 2014

*whispers into the wind*

butt mode

*vanishes into the nether*
      Start a new game file, enter that as your name. ENJOY.

Dibby on
      DNiDlnb.png
      Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
      Fireflash wrote: »
      The relic that makes you temporary invincible is just too overpowered vs bosses and it's one of the first relics you can pick up!

The bosses just don't last long enough and the spell isn't very expensive so you can use it a lot during the fight to play pretty recklessly and still win before you run out of health without having to learn the bosse's patterns.

I've not found the temporary invincibility to be too handy, since it fades before you even touch the ground.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
      Yeah, for most bosses I use the fire wand instead.

Half the bosses seem to have no defense at all against simply getting shot a lot in the face.

Steam ID: Right here.
    • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
      edited July 2014

I agree. I don't bother dodging against bosses. I just spam Phase Locket and come at them. I definitely think it should be toned down.

Grey Paladin on
      "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
    • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
      Phase Locket has some major advantages over Mega Man Zero's Jackson.

edited July 2014

I've not found the temporary invincibility to be too handy, since it fades before you even touch the ground.

You can activate it again before its over to keep it up. It's been the most useful Relic to me outside of the Horn, which is used for "Fuck your enemy placement" moments.

Also Butt Mode changes all uses of the words "Knight" and "Shovel" to "Butt".

Viskod on
      Hell, it basically outclasses the Mobile Gear. The levels in which you encounter a line of spikes long and stable enough to warrant the Gear are limited, and the Locket is a much better panic button anyway.

You can activate it again before its over to keep it up. It's been the most useful Relic to me outside of the Horn, which is used for "Fuck your enemy placement" moments.

With two exceptions:

The stage intro text (So, it will never read "For Buttry!")
      and the music sheets (No songs entitled "One Fateful Butt", and the Bard's descriptions are inconsistent. Giving him one song had him talk about Black Butt, but another one has him talk about the name "Shovel Knight")

Otherwise, yeah, you're playing as Butt Butt, fighting the invincible butts of the Order of No Quarter.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
      Enlong wrote: »

With two exceptions:

The stage intro text (So, it will never read "For Buttry!")
      and the music sheets (No songs entitled "One Fateful Butt", and the Bard's descriptions are inconsistent. Giving him one song had him talk about Black Butt, but another one has him talk about the name "Shovel Knight")

Otherwise, yeah, you're playing as Butt Butt, fighting the invincible butts of the Order of No Quarter.

game of the year.

I find it oddly disconcerting that the game has met complaints of not being mundane and serious enough, for example that the shovel should have been a sword.

That's stupid. You can't dig with a sword.

Well, not with that attitude.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
      And Mega Man shouldn't be blue because robots aren't blue and he should use an assault rifle instead of an energy cannon in his arm because that's silly.

I'm going to have an aneurism from trying to think of ideas this dumb.