As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Well I solved our home base's little acid rain problem, the base is now contained within a giant glass dome.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Found another one of those planets that have firearms peddling sky pirates.

Coordinates:

-36024057 -16345208

Which sector? From spawn, which direction, left or right?
    Starting sector. I discovered it by going right from the spawn point, it's quite abit away though, distance could be shorter going left but I didn't do a full circle so I'm not sure.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Found a planet with a temple, and stole things from it. I used the beacon again, but I think the damage to my house gives it character.
    wop1Ba7.jpg

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    That is a pretty rad lookin house

steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Do all planets have asteroids hitting it? My house is getting wrecked.

Steam: offday
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Well project treedome doesn't actually work, it seems. The dome will protect the base itself, and I made it so that you at least spawn in a sheltered area, but the tree farm is just too tall and ceilings only seem to protect against acid rain up to a certain height.

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Well project treedome doesn't actually work, it seems. The dome will protect the base itself, and I made it so that you at least spawn in a sheltered area, but the tree farm is just too tall and ceilings only seem to protect against acid rain up to a certain height.

Yeah, if the ceiling is too far out of view, raindrops will start spawning below it.

Edit: Unless... maybe if you made the entire background glass as well?

Kashaar on
    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Do all planets have asteroids hitting it? My house is getting wrecked.

The frequency is probably a planet/biome property, like the mini meteorite showers, etc. I was running through a Glitch village in Alpha when the building next to me got hit - scared the bajeezus out of me. Doors, chairs, building materials, and pixels from dead villagers started popping into my inventory as I surveyed the wreckage, which is pretty goddamn grisly now that I think about it.

My wife and I got to Beta last night and set up shop in a sweet hill/Hobbit hole at the spawn. And there's a lab next door, which means cool swag for my NERD BASEMENT WOOOO.

VT09mOz.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Found some base with human soldiers and robots with shields. All I managed to grab before I was killed was some milk. :D

So have they said no more wipes? Or will there be more wipes?

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    So have they said no more wipes? Or will there be more wipes?

No more character/ship wipes - but possible planet/world wipes.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Someone said a hotfix just went out. Can anyone confirm? I dont want to SSH into my server from my phone to update unless I have to(it's a pain but I love you guys).

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Someone said a hotfix just went out. Can anyone confirm? I dont want to SSH into my server from my phone to update unless I have to(it's a pain but I love you guys).

There was a hotfix last night. But I'm not seeing one this morning.

steam_sig.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

Unless it hasn't propagated to whatever steam servers I'm connecting to, no patch here.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited January 2014
    Can people get onto the server now? I was playing around 10 pm fine.

edit: Nack said he can get in, thanks.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Game still wont start up, leads right to error every time.

Blagh.
    empty your 'mods' folder if you haven't yet. you may have something incompatible in there (i did)

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    After seeing that there are no more wipes, I may dive into this game. I don't care much about building on planets, but the whole spaceship-building thing seems interesting. How much detail goes into the spaceships? Or are they just a means to get between planets?

steam_sig.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

Blagh.
    Are you on a Mac? I've got the same problem.

cB557 on
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Blagh.
    Are you on a Mac? I've got the same problem.

For Mac Users the temp fix is to disable the Steam overlay. It's apparently causing problems in a lot of steam games in Mac Land at the moment.

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
    edited January 2014
    f3rret wrote: »
    After seeing that there are no more wipes, I may dive into this game. I don't care much about building on planets, but the whole spaceship-building thing seems interesting. How much detail goes into the spaceships? Or are they just a means to get between planets?

Very limited interior, you don't build spaceships, you are just given the equivalent of a small 1 room apartment space that you can place items in(and replace the back panels). They say that space shop modification will come eventually (I'm thinking a modular upgrade system that plugs into the current layout.

For singleplayer there are mods that make your ship fully editable, and replacement mods.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Z6QjvZw.png

Aaaaaaaa why do castles have to be so big I'm only about halfway done

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    edited January 2014
    I had trouble with the idea of randomly killing everyone and tearing their house apart, but I just remembered some good advice from our buddy Jim:
    darths0143.jpg

cB557 on
    I try not to kill random's, I'll probably even stop robbing them once it throws a hostile flag for it.

steam_sig.png
    Hey, they attacked me first, it was self defense.

So I found a chef spawner. How's this work? I put it in my house, but I'm not getting a chef?

Beam down, and then beam back up.

I try to mow down as many NPCs as possible if they don't have anything to offer me on repeat visits.

It would be a shame to let good food go to waste.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I setup a server on my DigitalOcean droplet running Debian 7.0, for my buddy and I. We'll see how quickly just the two of us blow right by my RAM allocation hehe. Luckily I pay hourly for my droplet, so when we're not playing StarBound I just shut the server down and it stops charging me.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited January 2014
    I don't think the apex are as bad as people make them out to be. I'm sure they're just misunde...
    raKfIkR.jpg

OH MY GOD, WHY?! What the hell is that?!

Dr. Chaos on
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »

Very limited interior, you don't build spaceships, you are just given the equivalent of a small 1 room apartment space that you can place items in(and replace the back panels). They say that space shop modification will come eventually (I'm thinking a modular upgrade system that plugs into the current layout.

For singleplayer there are mods that make your ship fully editable, and replacement mods.

Cool, I suppose I'll give it a try anyways.

steam_sig.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    moddable ship is a mod that works in multplayer as well even with people who don't have it (you can delete the mod after creating the character)

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I'ma get on and play the shit out of this tonight.

Bless your heart.
  • VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    I try not to kill random's, I'll probably even stop robbing them once it throws a hostile flag for it.

Same here, I like having villages on my planets. They do furnish my homes with their belongings, though, which is only fair. Anything/anyone hostile is put down with glee, of course.
    So I found a chef spawner. How's this work? I put it in my house, but I'm not getting a chef?

Like cB said, just beam up and down, and the spawner will spawn.

Be aware they love to run around and open doors in your house, which can invite mobs to walk right in. Kind of a pain in the ass.

VT09mOz.png
    GODDAMNIT, NO!
    THE SERVER CRASHED WHILE I WAS TUNNELING THROUGH THE LAVA LEVEL
    I GOT SO FAR
    AND NOW IT'S SENT ME BACK ONTO MY GODDAMN SHIP
    DAMN YOU ADMIN PERSON
    DAMN YOU

Grah, shit.
    Waste of a hellivator.
    Funny thing, while I was down there, a fish spawned in the lava. Just offscreen, swam onscreen, and died.
    Made the battle music start up too, which was scary as fuck. I though the Devil or Lava!Cthulhu was about to murder me.

• KiasKias Registered User regular
    Hardcore mode actually looks pretty fun since player dropped items won't disappear and you can journey back if its worth it. It gives a little more incentive to have a stockpile/base when you go exploring. I am glad they separated that from perma-death, because perma-death in this game just doesn't seem that fun. Since it is a character creation thing, people playing hardcore can run with people playing normal? That is a pretty cool approach for playing with friends, but it would be nice to have hardcore as a server option as well.

steam_sig.png

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Why were you tunneling through lava?

I understand all of these words, but the sentence makes no sense.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Because it's there?

*confers with panels of experts*

Yes. Because it's there.

steam_sig.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I understand all of these words, but the sentence makes no sense.
    "Is there anything on the other side?" is what I'm asking. Because if it's like Minecraft, under the bedrock is nothing, literally.

edited January 2014
    So has anyone figured out how to make a house asteroid proof? I found a bridge made of light metal and dismantled it and cased it around my house, but it doesn't work much better than cobble.
    B65903F614D6277D7C47E92BEB62E8CB41BA8486

I'm thinking I might just move everything underground. Are plants growable underground? Maybe with some torches?

anoffday on

Because it's there?

*confers with panels of experts*

Yes. Because it's there.
    Bingo.
    Plus, if I can't go to every planet in the galaxy, tunnel to their cores, and then either strip the core bare for the metal and/or kill the devil, I'm going to write a strongly worded letter.