Options

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I know i did go down into the bar and scan...I'll just have to recheck the entire place again. I just figured there might have been some way to get to those areas i could not reach above the giant gate or some secret room.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I know i did go down into the bar and scan...I'll just have to recheck the entire place again. I just figured there might have been some way to get to those areas i could not reach above the giant gate or some secret room.

It's a bit weird in that you have to scan some shop stalls that aren't yet open.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    How are dyes crafted? I need some for this watering can but can't see the recipe in any if the workbenches I'm able to make.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Finished the mining facility last night and then started collecting Tungsten while searching for a Floran village.
    Found an ape village instead filled with all sorts of loot for my to steal.
    Then found an Avian dungeon which was holy fuckballs difficult for a starting area planet (At least as hard as Deadwing would be if you did it as soon as it became available) had to nope the fuck out of there.
    Right now I have a "low" damage rocket launcher that homes in on enemies and a giant mace that poisons enemies and sends them flying away if they get too close.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    How are dyes crafted? I need some for this watering can but can't see the recipe in any if the workbenches I'm able to make.

I think they're on one of the tabs of the weaving station but you might need to upgrade the weaving station first.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

I think they're on one of the tabs of the weaving station but you might need to upgrade the weaving station first.

They're a tab as soon as you create weaving station. (last tab)
    requires flower petals/coal and...bottles i think?

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Aha, yes they are. The one station I didn't look at the other tabs of, I guess. Thanks.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    How do you redo quests? Like i did the mining station one but dont see it as an option to teleport to anymore?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Derp, I can just make a wooden watering can anyway.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    How do you redo quests? Like i did the mining station one but dont see it as an option to teleport to anymore?

The ship computer should give you an option to revisit it in the missions interface. The quest giver npc won't offer the option.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    The Mission should be in your Missions Tab it will say something like "Revist such and such." I need to Grind some bosses for the Action figure drops

The Adaptable crossbow from the Treasured Trophies vendor is worth the hassle of farming off all the drops needed

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    If you guys don't mind, could you take screenshots of the "you got the thing!" screens that come up when you get the orb things?
    I just noticed that there was some of that ancient text onscreen during the last one I got, and I just got the ancient alphabet so I'd like to translate that text.
    Speaking of, the text on the ark gate says
    collectthesixkeysandplacethemheretoopentheblackhole
    and the text
    by the first half of the alphabet that you get in the erichius missions
    says
    2 will return
    and the runes by the doors to the alphabet halves say 1 and 2, referring of course to the switches that activate them.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I don't suppose there's any talk of playing this with a 360 controller, is there? KB&M makes my arthritis flare something awful.
    I don't think so - the aiming mechanics don't seem like they would work that well for it.
    And all the inventory managment.

Steam controller should work though.

• Options
    I don't suppose there's any talk of playing this with a 360 controller, is there? KB&M makes my arthritis flare something awful.
    I don't think so - the aiming mechanics don't seem like they would work that well for it.

Well they're not really any different then Terraria and that can be played with a controller.

edit: I'm not sure how well, but....

Unlike Terraria, most melee weapons get aimed instead of just swinging in a big arc. Even some of the ones that swing in a big arc have followup attacks that need to be aimed. Not an insurmountable issue, but not quite as straightforward as Terraria either.

Steam Profile
  • Options

Well they're not really any different then Terraria and that can be played with a controller.

Unlike Terraria, most melee weapons get aimed instead of just swinging in a big arc. Even some of the ones that swing in a big arc have followup attacks that need to be aimed. Not an insurmountable issue, but not quite as straightforward as Terraria either.

I'm pretty sure most melee weapons aren't aimed? It's just axes and spears that get aimed afaik.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I vaguely recall a LOT of weapons in Terraria that had to be aimed too. I played back on launch tho and haven't tried the console version yet.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    cB557 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure most melee weapons aren't aimed? It's just axes and spears that get aimed afaik.

One handed swords have both attacks aimed. Two handed swords have their second and third attacks aimed after an unaimed arc attack. Not sure about hammers but I thought they acted like axes.
    I vaguely recall a LOT of weapons in Terraria that had to be aimed too. I played back on launch tho and haven't tried the console version yet.

A lot of weapons were aimed but there were a ton of weapons in Terraria. Spears and flails were the launch melee weapons that needed to be aimed but swords were fixed arc and swords were the only weapons you could craft back then.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I keep finding pretty cool hats and backpacks and shirts, especially in the first orb dungeon place, but I have my doubts that anything will be good enough to replace what I currently have.
    Resigned bear + butterfly wings + fancy wedding dress top for life

354FA087AA4DD6EA5A1ECFD5DC31E1092F8D4F6D

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Cosmetic armor and hats seem to be a big thing with Starbound.

Though my favorite find so far as to be on the first planet i went to when going to scan for the Floran mission i came across a huge open Human filled "Camp grounds." complete with about three dozen tents and a bunch of RV's scattered around in the middle of this camp was a bag of trash inside it

Cardboard hobo helmet Flavor text 1% water resistance when dry.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

One handed swords have both attacks aimed. Two handed swords have their second and third attacks aimed after an unaimed arc attack. Not sure about hammers but I thought they acted like axes.

A lot of weapons were aimed but there were a ton of weapons in Terraria. Spears and flails were the launch melee weapons that needed to be aimed but swords were fixed arc and swords were the only weapons you could craft back then.

Good to know, thanks!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Right above me there's this little yellow critter that flew away and he was wearing sunglasses and now I'm going to have to craft a ton of capture balls and go back to that planet because I need to have him floating around my ship

054800BBBEC3F8FA29FF794A6D0160C14DB9C088

edit: oh, and the last weapon on my item bar up top is this cool bracelet that has 3 orbs circling you. When you click it sends out orbs like boomerangs, and if you right click it has the orbs form a shield in the direction you're pointing. It's not the most powerful weapon I have but it's not the weakest either, and it doesn't cost energy to shoot the orbs out. Plus it's versatile and I like that

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Woah, theres a post apocalyptic cityscape biome?

Fuck yes. I got to find that.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Seriously I laugh every time I remember that goddamn bear is there, focus on him, and see his eyebrows. He's the best. Just all "welp... guess i'm a hat now. This is a thing."

• Options

I just tried with four different broadswords with three attack combos and none of them had any aimed attacks in there.
    Hammers have an arc attacks similar to broadswords, except you have to hold down the attack button for a few seconds before letting go.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

I just tried with four different broadswords with three attack combos and none of them had any aimed attacks in there.
    Hammers have an arc attacks similar to broadswords, except you have to hold down the attack button for a few seconds before letting go.

This right here is why I stopped using hammers after about five minutes. I'm pretty much exclusively using a spear and assault/sniper rifles now, though i keep a pistol around to use with a flashlight in dark caves. I should probably get around to crafting the explorers lantern tonight though...I had the worst luck striking oil.

• Options
    more translations
    Apex key text says "the regal medalion", and the text at the end of the credits says "thank you for playing".

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Getting back into this, hitting the point where my initial camp isn't enough.

I am also feeling lazy. I will probably just steal building materials from a village or something. If I dismantle their houses will npcs start attacking me?

Or, for that matter, is anything preventing me from just murdering an entire village and moving my own folks in?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I am also feeling lazy. I will probably just steal building materials from a village or something. If I dismantle their houses will npcs start attacking me?

Or, for that matter, is anything preventing me from just murdering an entire village and moving my own folks in?
    I don't think you can attack non-hostile NPCs anymore, so I don't think you could murder a whole village. I think it might be possible to aggro guards by breaking things or walking with you weapon out? But I'm not sure.
    However, you can make blocks in batches of like, fifty from single ingots and the like, so it's probably faster to just harvest resources and make blocks from them.

• Options

I don't think you can attack non-hostile NPCs anymore, so I don't think you could murder a whole village. I think it might be possible to aggro guards by breaking things or walking with you weapon out? But I'm not sure.
    However, you can make blocks in batches of like, fifty from single ingots and the like, so it's probably faster to just harvest resources and make blocks from them.

Guards won't attack you until you break several items in a village. The first time or two people will ask you to cut your shit out, then if you keep up acting like an ass the guards will come. I don't think the regular villagers ever attack though, but if you murder the guards and tear down all their houses the local fauna will finish them off eventually.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

(You get the block recipe after stealing one, so you'll still need to shave off a sample.)

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Been finding a lot of avian homes populated by humans below on this one planet.

CJapv7Y.jpg

Just chilling deep underground living in these abandoned homes. Not creepy at all.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Added egg and milk production to my farm, yayifications! Double yay, if I take screenshots where a lot of the picture is solid black, the filesize drops, so I can inline this one.
    F1CQ6QJ.jpg

:edit: also I grabbed that workshop mod where harvesting plants like wheat drops the plant back to the first growth stage rather than giving you a seed and making you manually replant. Much nicer that way.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options

(You get the block recipe after stealing one, so you'll still need to shave off a sample.)

Oh that's much easier than I expected. I'll just find a nice planet then.

• Options

I should tell you than unless they changed it, you'll get better rent the higher the danger rating of the planet your colony is on.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Hunting cores for Refrigerators is oddly difficult!

Is there an HVAC colonist type I can attract?

Currently my agriculture game isn't supplying enough potatoes to turn this meat into profitable cuisine. Also, hoard-bot gotta hoard.

Also. I want a mysteriously large meat warehouse hidden beneath my idyllic little Glitch farm.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options

I should tell you than unless they changed it, you'll get better rent the higher the danger rating of the planet your colony is on.

Hmm... what are my defensive options?

I suppose I can make my stuff on the surface and banish my colonists underground where it's safer. Or maybe live at the bottom of an ocean world.

• Options

Currently my agriculture game isn't supplying enough potatoes to turn this meat into profitable cuisine. Also, hoard-bot gotta hoard.

Also. I want a mysteriously large meat warehouse hidden beneath my idyllic little Glitch farm.

I believe I bought a bunch of fridges from an ape town. Maybe one of their merchants?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

I believe I bought a bunch of fridges from an ape town. Maybe one of their merchants?

Or just loot a fridge from one of the houses.
    If you're far enough along for such, some of the possible research outpost layouts on frigid planets (the high level ones, not just snow planets) have fridges like the one on the outpost, and you can also find a matching microwave if you're lucky.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

I would assume eventually it'll happen unless they decide they're not going to do console versions like they planned. Unless Terraria never added support, maybe. I played Terraria on Vita only, so I don't know about the other versions.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options

You can buy ice fluffalo eggs at Terramart and they'll produce the cryotic cores.

Hmm... what are my defensive options?

I suppose I can make my stuff on the surface and banish my colonists underground where it's safer. Or maybe live at the bottom of an ocean world.

Just be sure it's not on a world where some of the enemies can phase through walls. Otherwise your options are guard colonists, automated turrets (at least, they used to be in the game), and building monster tethers and capturing monsters to put in then

JtgVX0H.png