[Starbound] Has actually released!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Getting back into this, hitting the point where my initial camp isn't enough.

I am also feeling lazy. I will probably just steal building materials from a village or something. If I dismantle their houses will npcs start attacking me?

Or, for that matter, is anything preventing me from just murdering an entire village and moving my own folks in?
    I don't think you can attack non-hostile NPCs anymore, so I don't think you could murder a whole village. I think it might be possible to aggro guards by breaking things or walking with you weapon out? But I'm not sure.
    However, you can make blocks in batches of like, fifty from single ingots and the like, so it's probably faster to just harvest resources and make blocks from them.

(You get the block recipe after stealing one, so you'll still need to shave off a sample.)

Oh that's much easier than I expected. I'll just find a nice planet then.
    I should tell you than unless they changed it, you'll get better rent the higher the danger rating of the planet your colony is on.

Hmm... what are my defensive options?

I suppose I can make my stuff on the surface and banish my colonists underground where it's safer. Or maybe live at the bottom of an ocean world.
    Just seal it off entirely and just put a teleporter in it.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    automated turrets (at least, they used to be in the game)

They're still there in the wiring station, not sure how effective they are.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    automated turrets (at least, they used to be in the game)

They're still there in the wiring station, not sure how effective they are.

I remember they used to suck when the game first released, but in a later update they let you slot in your own guns to increase the dps

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CZpDjrp.jpg

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Way to not listen to the NPC, jerk.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    So I'm guessing more advanced crafting is still story gated/you have beat certain bosses?

Think I remember it being that way.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I may pick a middle tier world just so I can have actual houses and stuff. I like how Avian Villages look (not the temples)

Example

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    So I'm guessing more advanced crafting is still story gated/you have beat certain bosses?

Naw? I am past Durasteel and still on scan floran stuff. Just need to mine stuff and upgrade tables. They put high level ores on hazard stars and you need different breather packs to not die on entry a la super metroid varia suit. No need to story, though apparently boss drops are good.

• Options
    Man I am getting annoyed at how many kiwis I am not finding. Something like 75% of the desert planets I've landed on haven't even had the oasis biome anywhere, it's always that savanna one with the animal people or whichever biome it is where there is literally nothing, no plants, no animal spawns, no anything other than funny colored dry sand.

• Options
    edited July 2016

It used to be that way, but I'm pretty sure you can just ignore all the story content without locking yourself out of any technow. Like, the missions don't give you any unique progression items, and all the gear you need to survive on the next planet is craftable with the ore from the previous tier of planet.
    I actually really like how many options you have for progression. You can still just dig into a planet and no come back up until you've got a new set of gear like you used to have to, but now you can also get ore from quests, there's a merchant at the outpost who sells ore, merchants in towns will just sell armor of the level you can get with the highest level ore on the planet you're on, and you can get lots of pixels from farming and colonies and shit, so you can just do so many different things and still be making progress. I imagine you could just spend your time making the biggest damn farm/colony you can and rake in enough pixels to tech up at about the speed of someone exploring and mining.
    Man I am getting annoyed at how many kiwis I am not finding. Something like 75% of the desert planets I've landed on haven't even had the oasis biome anywhere, it's always that savanna one with the animal people or whichever biome it is where there is literally nothing, no plants, no animal spawns, no anything other than funny colored dry sand.
    I have one kiwi seed that an NPC gave me for a quest and asked me to grow. For reference of how far I am and yet still haven't found any other kiwis, here's a picture of the end of the game.

cB557 on
  • Options
    I've found a lot of ore just sitting around in crates in NPC villages, grabbing it as I do quests for them.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Oh, shift to place single blocks.

Motherfucker I wish I knew that dozens of hours ago.

Suriko on
  • Options
    I should probably mention that applies to mining/removing as well.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

It used to be that way, but I'm pretty sure you can just ignore all the story content without locking yourself out of any technow. Like, the missions don't give you any unique progression items, and all the gear you need to survive on the next planet is craftable with the ore from the previous tier of planet.
    I actually really like how many options you have for progression. You can still just dig into a planet and no come back up until you've got a new set of gear like you used to have to, but now you can also get ore from quests, there's a merchant at the outpost who sells ore, merchants in towns will just sell armor of the level you can get with the highest level ore on the planet you're on, and you can get lots of pixels from farming and colonies and shit, so you can just do so many different things and still be making progress. I imagine you could just spend your time making the biggest damn farm/colony you can and rake in enough pixels to tech up at about the speed of someone exploring and mining.
    Thats good to hear.

Guess I just got to find some rarer ore than tungsten to start unlocking more things. Works for me.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    When/where do diamonds start becoming common

• Options

Thats good to hear.

Guess I just got to find some rarer ore than tungsten to start unlocking more things. Works for me.

Yeah from what I can tell now, you just need to find/make mats to upgrade your crafting benches to improve your armor. I ignored the first 'gem' quest for a while, same with Dreadwing.

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, never.

• Options

I have one kiwi seed that an NPC gave me for a quest and asked me to grow. For reference of how far I am and yet still haven't found any other kiwis, here's a picture of the end of the game.

Yeah, I like that there's options for progression and you aren't tied into any of them. Even upgrading your ship has a couple of different ways to do it (getting crew members or getting enough pixels to buy the illegal license (and to do that you could farm and sell produce, you could mine ores and sell them, you could do what I did and scour the surfaces of planets and murder everything and find chests with weapons to sell, or if you're crazy you could build a huge colony and collect the rent)). Lots of stuff to do in the game. I'm also filling up cabinets with instruments, and then sometimes I'll sit at my farm and just play music and watch the sun rise and set.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

Weak

• Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Oh, shift to place single blocks.

Motherfucker I wish I knew that dozens of hours ago.

O_o thanks for sharing.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

If you need them for teleporter cores, you eventually start finding the cores themselves in chests. I've played 23 hours and I still don't have enough diamonds to buy a core but I've found 3 cores. Haven't done much deep mining though, I mostly just walk on the surface and loot all the ore I need from boxes and chests. Kinda funny how the villagers never complain about that.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    This sounds like I need to pick this up...never played the beta though. Seems like it's right up my alley, if a bit daunting.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

If you need them for teleporter cores, you eventually start finding the cores themselves in chests. I've played 23 hours and I still don't have enough diamonds to buy a core but I've found 3 cores. Haven't done much deep mining though, I mostly just walk on the surface and loot all the ore I need from boxes and chests. Kinda funny how the villagers never complain about that.

Yeah, I thought it was weird that they complain when you bust their vases up and dismantle their homes, but they're totally cool with you rooting through their chests and cabinets for goodies

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Coming from one of the very early beta versions, the first quest is horrible. I'll freely admit to turning admin mode on to walk through that first mining dungeon boss thing to get my engines repaired.

So stupid to lock a sandbox platformer like that. The game's amazing afterwards.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Yeah, the Erchius mine is a horrible slog unless you've RNG'd into a gun that isn't complete trash, in which case it becomes trivial. tl;dr the game needs to hand you some sort of gun in the early stuff. Unless the hunting bows are actually half decent at it, never really tried.

• Options
    Yeah, the Erchius mine is a horrible slog unless you've RNG'd into a gun that isn't complete trash, in which case it becomes trivial. tl;dr the game needs to hand you some sort of gun in the early stuff. Unless the hunting bows are actually half decent at it, never really tried.

Bows are horribly clunky to use with their slow draw and release -fire and ballistic arrows. Even the NPCs can't hit with them reliably.

• Options
    I didn't have much trouble with the Erichius mission. Just used the barrier ability my spear had and the way the mutants tend to charge you to get them to just keep walking into a damage field.

• Options
    I just crafted some guns and those were fine.

Also, remember you can dual-wield/fire 1h pistols.

• Options
    I didn't have much trouble with the Erichius mission. Just used the barrier ability my spear had and the way the mutants tend to charge you to get them to just keep walking into a damage field.

My spear just had the spear whirl so that wasn't helpful, but just regular spear attacks are so great that it doesn't matter. That mission gave me no problems at all, though to be fair I'd beaten it so many times in the early access phase that I don't have to think about it too much.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

My spear just had the spear whirl so that wasn't helpful, but just regular spear attacks are so great that it doesn't matter. That mission gave me no problems at all, though to be fair I'd beaten it so many times in the early access phase that I don't have to think about it too much.
    Yeah it's possible that having beaten it like half a dozen times already may have given me a leg up as well.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm completely new to Starbound, but I lucked into some silly lightning sword and a grenade launcher for the facility. Breezed through it.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    It occurs to me playing Novakid is probably why I was able to craft decent guns. Which made that much easier.

• Options
    It occurs to me playing Novakid is probably why I was able to craft decent guns. Which made that much easier.

Yeah, as a Floran I haven't been able to craft any guns until the endgame. I've found or bought most of my gear so it doesn't matter much but I can imagine it might help very early on.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Hunting cores for Refrigerators is oddly difficult!

Is there an HVAC colonist type I can attract?

Currently my agriculture game isn't supplying enough potatoes to turn this meat into profitable cuisine. Also, hoard-bot gotta hoard.

Also. I want a mysteriously large meat warehouse hidden beneath my idyllic little Glitch farm.

I assume your trying to make friges yourself. Last night i found an ape labortory and it had lots of refrigerators. Are they any different from what you make? Just saying it would probably be much easier to just steal them from labs.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    How do you expand your maximum health/energy?

BTW, something that would be a great help to everyone just getting started would be a list of commands and things (like the above mentioned shift clicking for single targets, R to pull out the matter manipulator, etc) that are commonly used but not really talked about (I know R is mentioned once its just the best example i can think of before my coffee).

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Oh man, don't lose power while playing. Relogged, inventory was intact, universe was intact, bookmarks were wiped, and the Outpost had reverted to the initial state with the stores closed.

I also found myself in hyperspace heading to a new starter world with a portal. Luckily, I had an open quest on my home planet so I could find it again (once I gassed up for the 500u journey).

I also learned mining for gas is not for the faint of heart.. wall jump really paid off there! Gotta see if I can knock the Outpost loose if I do the next phase of the quest.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

BTW, something that would be a great help to everyone just getting started would be a list of commands and things (like the above mentioned shift clicking for single targets, R to pull out the matter manipulator, etc) that are commonly used but not really talked about (I know R is mentioned once its just the best example i can think of before my coffee).

Armor increases your health, energy and damage you do.

Once you can build a kitchen counter, you can make food items that can also give health and energy buffs to temporarily increase it further.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    So i joined a public server and found out that when you invite people to your ship they can destroy and pillage your things.

So being that i am capable of learning from my mistakes my ship now has a teleporter and a wiring station that seals the back of my ship where all my stuff is from the inside so that only i can get to it.

• Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

Armor increases your health, energy and damage you do.

Once you can build a kitchen counter, you can make food items that can also give health and energy buffs to temporarily increase it further.

I've found several pieces of armor but never noticed any kind of stats showing that. Have i just not found real armor just cosmetic stuff so far?