As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starbound] Has actually released!

1313234363743

Posts

  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    How do you expand your maximum health/energy?

    BTW, something that would be a great help to everyone just getting started would be a list of commands and things (like the above mentioned shift clicking for single targets, R to pull out the matter manipulator, etc) that are commonly used but not really talked about (I know R is mentioned once its just the best example i can think of before my coffee).

    Armor increases your health, energy and damage you do.

    Once you can build a kitchen counter, you can make food items that can also give health and energy buffs to temporarily increase it further.

    I've found several pieces of armor but never noticed any kind of stats showing that. Have i just not found real armor just cosmetic stuff so far?

    You've only found cosmetic stuff, then.

    Real armor - like you make at the anvil - will have a bunch of stats on it. Lowest-level one required iron bars to make (for a human, anyway).

  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I am defeated my clever and expensive defenses did not work at all once the people i invited noticed that the door to my treasure room would not open they just matter manipulated the door down.

    Nobody is allowed on my ship ever again

  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    @Zunde I'm sorry man, your sequence of posts I found to be hilarious.

    On a somewhat related note, I remember in the Long Ago we used to have a PA server. Maybe we need another again?

    Or maybe we do have one and I am a fool?

    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Well, it really is kinda obvious that you shouldnt expect open invitations of strangers into your home is always going to have positive results.

    People are dicks man. While Your at it, perhaphs i should warn you not to give your Social Security number out to the general public as well.

    azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Never play games online with people you don't know. For quality of life if nothing else, avoiding griefing/stealing is just a side benefit.

  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I wouldnt go that far....but the whole 'you have to invite someone into your ship' thing means 'only people who have at least garnered at least some amount of trust'.

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Never play games online with people you don't know. For quality of life if nothing else, avoiding griefing/stealing is just a side benefit.

    I just wouldn't play co-op or sandbox games with strangers. In a game like Counter Strike or whatever it doesn't matter

    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Managed to re-discover the Avian Village I found the other day an plopped a flag on it. As well as a flag in the Hylotl city I found because its a pain to swim down to. Also makes getting back for questing much easier. (trying to unlock some more crew)

    Hylotl really like them some cooking quests. It's a pain to have to go farm and then come back and cook it for them, but it does mean I get some of the rarer seeds off them.

    Anyway got the recipes for the nice sandstone looking bricks in Avian style and found a nice forest world with some ruins to build around. Weirdly, it's around a radioactive star but the planet itself is just a normal temperate forest planet. (No Durasteel). It will make a good home for now. Later I will make apartments for NPCs on some super dangerous world for rent purposes. Tonight I try to figure out how to turn the ruined tower I found into a guard tower.

    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    guys i'm not trying to be passive aggressive or anything but ..
    where is the fun in this game.
    what am I missing.

    I was expecting terraria in space but the combat and crafting is shallow by comparison.
    is it the zipping around different planets? does settlement building become any more engrossing?

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    guys i'm not trying to be passive aggressive or anything but ..
    where is the fun in this game.
    what am I missing.

    I was expecting terraria in space but the combat and crafting is shallow by comparison.
    is it the zipping around different planets? does settlement building become any more engrossing?

    There's a definite lack of depth. The best parts for me have been the npc villages and hitting dungeons I come across. The main quest cycle of going to a tougher planet type and story mission not so much. Terraria's different biomes felt different beyond just having different enemies and that feeling has so far been issing in Starbound so it's the dungeons that break things up for me.

    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I found another one of those unique weapon things.

    A giant clockhand sword that has a special attack that causes any enemies in range to freeze in place for a few seconds

  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I don't really get the combat complaints.

    Yeah it's slower than Terraria but Terraria's also "hold M1 while walking backwards" in most cases. You can even do that in Starbound with the melee weapons, if you hold M1 it does the first attack over and over instead of the combo.

    The combat in neither is super good, people just have these rose tinted glasses for Terrarias combat when comparing it to Starbounds for some reason.

  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I don't really get the combat complaints.

    Yeah it's slower than Terraria but Terraria's also "hold M1 while walking backwards" in most cases. You can even do that in Starbound with the melee weapons, if you hold M1 it does the first attack over and over instead of the combo.

    The combat in neither is super good, people just have these rose tinted glasses for Terrarias combat when comparing it to Starbounds for some reason.

    I think it's more to do with the enemies in Terraria though the faster speed is a factor for some. Regarding the latter, 2D Metroid tends to have faster combat than 2D Castlevania and some people prefer it that way.

    But the enemies just tend not to be memorable in Starbound and there's not a lot of variety in attack patterns or the like. Getting chased around by 2 chaos elementals while dodging a ghost sword or dodging ranged fire from corruptors while having to jump over or bridge those deep whole in the corruption were amusing in ways Starbound hasn't matched so far even though technically Starbound has somewhat deeper combat mechanics.

    Edit: I was reminded of another thing: Terraria enemies could drop neat things like accessories, rainbow blocks etc. Starbound enemies tend not to drop anything interesting so it doesn't feel rewarding to fight them and more of a hassle.

    Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I guess I like Starbound better becuase it has its own lore and stronger sci fi themes. It looks better, it sounds better.

    I can see why people like combat better in Terraria, it can get abit more crazy and wild at times. I don't remember the crafting being particularly better though.

    Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Zunde wrote: »
    I found another one of those unique weapon things.

    A giant clockhand sword that has a special attack that causes any enemies in range to freeze in place for a few seconds
    Yeah, I got one of those as well. Kinda underwhelmed by it, honestly. You can't attack enemies that you've frozen so it'd only be really useful if you're fighting a lot of enemies at once and need crowd control.
    Might be useful on
    the Glitch story mission.
    So far my favorite unique weapon has been the grenade launcher with remote detonation instead of detonation on contact. To be honest it's probably less killy than just dual wielding two normal 1-handed grenade launchers, but I just like using it more.

    cB557 on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Oh neat, an Alien Worm Gun. Let's try it out!
    ...

    :bigfrown:

    Aistan on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fuck, I want to build using Avali materials but I need their crafting tables and now I can't find one of their settlements to save my life.

    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fuck, I want to build using Avali materials but I need their crafting tables and now I can't find one of their settlements to save my life.
    Do what I do and just cheat constantly.

  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Oh neat, an Alien Worm Gun. Let's try it out!
    ...

    :bigfrown:

    Oh, the hentai gun. Yeah, I found one those.

    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So apparently 1.0 doesn't work on some versions of Windows and Mac that it used to?

  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fuck, I want to build using Avali materials but I need their crafting tables and now I can't find one of their settlements to save my life.

    Should have just been an Avali

    Look at all the awesome stuff we have.

    though I need to pretty up some spots.

  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fuck, I want to build using Avali materials but I need their crafting tables and now I can't find one of their settlements to save my life.

    Should have just been an Avali

    Look at all the awesome stuff we have.

    though I need to pretty up some spots.

    I kind of need to know where you got that hanging cloth thing above your teleporter.

    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fuck, I want to build using Avali materials but I need their crafting tables and now I can't find one of their settlements to save my life.

    Should have just been an Avali

    Look at all the awesome stuff we have.

    though I need to pretty up some spots.

    I kind of need to know where you got that hanging cloth thing above your teleporter.
    I'm pretty sure you just make it with the nanoloom or something.

  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fuck, I want to build using Avali materials but I need their crafting tables and now I can't find one of their settlements to save my life.

    Should have just been an Avali

    Look at all the awesome stuff we have.

    though I need to pretty up some spots.

    I want your awesome stuff, I just wanted to play through the 1.0 release for the first time as a hylotl (last time I played the game was as an avali anyway). I have the nano loom and the weapon table so I can make some of the cloth stuff but I need the nano lathe to make the rest.

    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fuck, I want to build using Avali materials but I need their crafting tables and now I can't find one of their settlements to save my life.

    Should have just been an Avali

    Look at all the awesome stuff we have.

    though I need to pretty up some spots.

    I kind of need to know where you got that hanging cloth thing above your teleporter.
    I'm pretty sure you just make it with the nanoloom or something.

    Yup. Think it's like decorative tent wall or decorative tent roof or somethin.

  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fuck, I want to build using Avali materials but I need their crafting tables and now I can't find one of their settlements to save my life.

    Should have just been an Avali

    Look at all the awesome stuff we have.

    though I need to pretty up some spots.

    I want your awesome stuff, I just wanted to play through the 1.0 release for the first time as a hylotl (last time I played the game was as an avali anyway). I have the nano loom and the weapon table so I can make some of the cloth stuff but I need the nano lathe to make the rest.
    cheeeeeat

  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I usually go glitch but I decided to go Novakid this time. I'm liking it.

    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Easy access to guns is best. IMHO

    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fuck, I want to build using Avali materials but I need their crafting tables and now I can't find one of their settlements to save my life.

    Should have just been an Avali

    Look at all the awesome stuff we have.

    though I need to pretty up some spots.

    I want your awesome stuff, I just wanted to play through the 1.0 release for the first time as a hylotl (last time I played the game was as an avali anyway). I have the nano loom and the weapon table so I can make some of the cloth stuff but I need the nano lathe to make the rest.
    cheeeeeat

    Nooooooooooooooooo I don't wannnaaaaaa
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Easy access to guns is best. IMHO

    I almost never use guns. More of a melee and staff guy

    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I can't cheat in these kinds of games because for me the progression of unlocking new items and outfits is the entire reason I keep going. If I just gave myself these decorations or hats I'd play for a couple hours building with them then never play again.

    I'm not above using an invulnerability cheat if I get too frustrated on something though. Difficulty isn't why I play most games.

  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I can't cheat in these kinds of games because for me the progression of unlocking new items and outfits is the entire reason I keep going. If I just gave myself these decorations or hats I'd play for a couple hours building with them then never play again.

    I'm not above using an invulnerability cheat if I get too frustrated on something though. Difficulty isn't why I play most games.

    I cheat when I first try out a mod to see if I like it or not. You know, give myself all their building blocks and toys and fart around for a bit and see what I think. But then I'll delete that character and start fresh without cheats and play all legit-like, because like you I enjoy the progression and unlocking stuff and finding stuff on my own. Cheating that stuff into the game is cheating myself out of me personally acquiring it and the satisfaction that goes with it.

    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    evilthecat wrote: »
    guys i'm not trying to be passive aggressive or anything but ..
    where is the fun in this game.
    what am I missing.

    I was expecting terraria in space but the combat and crafting is shallow by comparison.
    is it the zipping around different planets? does settlement building become any more engrossing?

    For me its the ability to explore and find crazy shit that you've never seen before. Like the aforementioned Hentai gun which I haven't come across yet, or the Gnome gun which I'm disappointed is now just a Gnome, whereas previously it was a Gnome holding a smaller gun (which shoots rainbows). Or a "grenade launcher" that shoots pigs with dynamite strapped to them. Or any number of crazy weapons and artefacts they've added recently that I haven't discovered yet.

    Other than that, its the same as any other game where you collect things; must collect all the things. All the crew. All the different types of colonist. All the plants. All the animals. Gotta catch 'em all.

    And then build myself a big-ass space mansion to show off all of my things.

    Mr Ray on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    My cheating in this game is mostly confined to things like "okay, so I need like, ten more of this block type. I could go back to orbit, find a planet with this type of resource, fly there, beam down, find the resource, beam back up, fly back to where I started, beam back down, and then after all that be able to finally place ten blocks, or I could /admin and then /spawnitem and be done with it".

  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    My cheating in this game is mostly confined to things like "okay, so I need like, ten more of this block type. I could go back to orbit, find a planet with this type of resource, fly there, beam down, find the resource, beam back up, fly back to where I started, beam back down, and then after all that be able to finally place ten blocks, or I could /admin and then /spawnitem and be done with it".

    I get that, and maybe at some point in the future I'll be that way too. But for now I enjoy actually doing all that work you described

    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I haven't decided how I am going to deal with trophies.

    I know I will have a house/bedroom/kitchen. A barn/warehouse for storage. Farms.

    Crafting stuff will probably be in a bunker below the house.

    NPCs will get guard towers, merchant booths, etc...

    Guess I should make trophy type stuff in the main house or build a gallery.

    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Whenever I beam down to a moon my mental faculties pretty much immediately devote themselves to repeating the phrases "spoopy," "gettin' spooped on," and variations thereupon over and over until I beam back up.

  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Whenever I beam down to a moon my mental faculties pretty much immediately devote themselves to repeating the phrases "spoopy," "gettin' spooped on," and variations thereupon over and over until I beam back up.

    I just suck up moon jizz until the glowing pink buttholes eat me

    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Trophies are easy, make a trophy room!
    LvT2ePt.jpg

    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Trophies are easy, make a trophy room!
    LvT2ePt.jpg
    q5wlg4myyllo.png

Sign In or Register to comment.