As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Florans are bessssst.

I'm Bayonettle.

Bayonettle.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Florans are bessssst.

at stabbingssss

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Just finished the storyline! It wasn't bad, wasn't great. I did enjoy the missions though, they were pretty fun. I'm gonna keep playing with this character for now though. I want to keep building up my colony and get it all fancy and shit.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Just finished the storyline! It wasn't bad, wasn't great. I did enjoy the missions though, they were pretty fun. I'm gonna keep playing with this character for now though. I want to keep building up my colony and get it all fancy and shit.
    It certainly was an odd choice to play up the "gathering a team along the way" angle but not actually do anything with the characters.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    It certainly was an odd choice to play up the "gathering a team along the way" angle but not actually do anything with the characters.
    And meanwhile I'm sitting here wondering if a later patch is going to do anything with the Glitch guy's post-recruitment interaction blurb.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    And meanwhile I'm sitting here wondering if a later patch is going to do anything with the Glitch guy's post-recruitment interaction blurb.
    As in, make it say something else after you've done his sidequest?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

...I never got a sidequest from him. Floran chick had sidequests, hylotl dude had sidequests, avian and glitch and apex had nothing.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options

...I never got a sidequest from him. Floran chick had sidequests, hylotl dude had sidequests, avian and glitch and apex had nothing.
    You need to have the broken broadsword from the start of the game. If you got rid of it, then just use /admin and then /spawnitem brokenprotectoratebroadsword.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I'm stuck at a early point in the game where my equipment is just not enough to kill off the Mine aliens. Guess I'll have to go spelunking some more and hope I find something random and potent.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

You need to have the broken broadsword from the start of the game. If you got rid of it, then just use /admin and then /spawnitem brokenprotectoratebroadsword.

I figured that's what the glitch guy was talking about. And the avian guy doesn't give you a quest because he gives you a blessing from Kluex (I've only gotten a speed boost that lasted several minutes) and the apex woman sells you EPP augments (they change daily)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Disappointed Novakid don't have villages. Wild West desert towns would have looked fantastic.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Disappointed Novakid don't have villages. Wild West desert towns would have looked fantastic.

Yeah I hope they add some. I would like to have Nova NPCs for my settlement.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MuddBudd wrote: »

You can still get them, I have a few. Just grab Saloon theme furnitute from the furniture shop at the outpost, then throw a colony deed into the room they're in. I'm planning to make my own Wild West-themed colony eventually.

Far as I can tell it's only base clonists, though. Can't seem to get Novakid merchants.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited July 2016

You can still get them, I have a few. Just grab Saloon theme furnitute from the furniture shop at the outpost, then throw a colony deed into the room they're in. I'm planning to make my own Wild West-themed colony eventually.

Far as I can tell it's only base clonists, though. Can't seem to get Novakid merchants.

Doesn't putting containers in a room make the colonist that appears a merchant? You might try placing several in the room and see what happens (that could have changed since the 1.0 update though)

edit: also, I learned that I can't capture flying critters, which means I can't get that flying jelly thing with the sunglasses I posted a picture of earlier. Noooooooooooooo

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    As Darmak said, it's possible they changed it, but it couldn't hurt to check the colony page on the wiki and see what furniture you need for what colonists.

• Options

Doesn't putting containers in a room make the colonist that appears a merchant? You might try placing several in the room and see what happens (that could have changed since the 1.0 update though)

edit: also, I learned that I can't capture flying critters, which means I can't get that flying jelly thing with the sunglasses I posted a picture of earlier. Noooooooooooooo

Tried that, didn't work, hence I suspect Nova merchants aren't in.

• Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Do guns get good at any point in the game? At least early on, they seem fairly junky. Way, way, way too weak and energy hungry.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Do guns get good at any point in the game? At least early on, they seem fairly junky. Way, way, way too weak and energy hungry.

I pulled a shotgun from a chest whose alt-fire is "Burst Shot" - shorter range focused blast that sends enemies flying.

Working well for me so far!

• Options
  • Options
    Colony Eustia, a renovated derelict Hylotl fortress.

wJlAUhS.jpg

I should turn the underwater hylotl cities into a colony. Those are pretty huge and look pretty badass too

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I have a lot of success with dual wielded crafted machine pistols. After I get my colony set up I plan to finally start harvesting durasteel to get the next tier.

My favorite gun so far was a rocket launcher with an alt-fire guided missile mode that let me shoot around corners. I outleveled it though.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    I'm stuck at a early point in the game where my equipment is just not enough to kill off the Mine aliens. Guess I'll have to go spelunking some more and hope I find something random and potent.

Having a ranged weapon helps immensely. You're not going to find stuff much stronger than what you can craft at that point. Novakids get to craft guns while others don't so you may have to make due with a hunting bow and taking pot shots.

They remain energy hungry but get stronger. A full energy bar is usually enough to take out two enemies. Bear in mind that upgrading your armor increases energy reserves and weapon damage so guns scale with the rest of your gear more than melee weapons.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    There are some staff weapons that put down an 'increased energy regen' field as well, so you could stand in a safe spot and snipe a lot of things that way.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I usually had several ranged weapons on my action bar and one melee weapon in case the enemies rushed me or I ran out of energy. My usual setup was a wand and grenade launcher (wands let you kill things around corners, grenade launchers are good against several enemies and are just fun to use), one assault rifle (killing flying enemies and distant enemies on flat ground) and one whatever weapon I felt like trying out, or maybe a gun with alt fire flashlight for dark caves.

Melee does a ton more damage but you tend to get hurt when meleeing. Far less hassle to kill things before they get near you most of the time. Also for most bosses having shield + pistol equiped in one of your action bar slots was a great idea since it allows you to weather their bullet hell -phases easily.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Oh no I just discovered archaeology, and fallen into a deep dark hole as a result.

Luckily there are bones to dig up down here.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Oh no I just discovered archaeology, and fallen into a deep dark hole as a result.

Luckily there are bones to dig up down here.

Oh shit, I forgot about that!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    Colony Eustia, a renovated derelict Hylotl fortress.

wJlAUhS.jpg

My Glitch char just found one of these derelict fortresses and planted a flag. Plan on restoring after I'm done with my homeworld / Glitch mansion :)

• Options
    remove inappropriate tag from farm animal eggs

???
    make it impossible to starve to death during cinematics

this happened to me last night. they really need to make the cut scenes skipable.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    remove inappropriate tag from farm animal eggs

???

:winky:

• Options
    Hum.. Okay so I think im missing something in the main questline.

I finally found some unexamined locations in the outpost and finished that one, got the quest to scan florian objects. Got a little distracted because i wanted to unlock all the techs, went looking for gold ore for the third tech quest update. was a pain because first i needed to find oil to make a backpack lantern to do some serious mining. Hopped to a desert planet, finally found two small puddles of oil, and luckily i had enough MM upgrade items to get the liquid absorb...made my lanterns, went underground, found a challenge room, eventually found a nice gold vein or two.

Then i started checking the other planets in the original system. havent found anything florian yet. am i just hopping around checking the surface for a florian colony at this point?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    azith28 wrote: »

I finally found some unexamined locations in the outpost and finished that one, got the quest to scan florian objects. Got a little distracted because i wanted to unlock all the techs, went looking for gold ore for the third tech quest update. was a pain because first i needed to find oil to make a backpack lantern to do some serious mining. Hopped to a desert planet, finally found two small puddles of oil, and luckily i had enough MM upgrade items to get the liquid absorb...made my lanterns, went underground, found a challenge room, eventually found a nice gold vein or two.

Then i started checking the other planets in the original system. havent found anything florian yet. am i just hopping around checking the surface for a florian colony at this point?

yup. look on forest planets

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Should i consider it a given that forin will have a colony in my home system or may i have to move around, change systems.

• Options
    Should i consider it a given that forin will have a colony in my home system or may i have to move around, change systems.

I think there's supposed to be one by default on the forested planet in your system but don't quote me

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular

Oddly enough, I had no Floran settlements on jungle planets in my starting area, but I had 2 on a desert planet. So look on every planet, but you can't miss them as they are huge pits on the surface.

• Options
    Tulabelle wrote: »

Oddly enough, I had no Floran settlements on jungle planets in my starting area, but I had 2 on a desert planet. So look on every planet, but you can't miss them as they are huge pits on the surface.

is a forest planet different from a jungle planet?

• Options
    some pixels in armors were bad and are now not bad

Excellent, they're doing the job of just making the bad stuff not anymore. It's so simple, I don't get why a lot of game designers have trouble with that.
    NPCs will now beam away to join your ship crew as soon as you recruit them

I really like this one. Was kind of a pain when I was doing a big quest session at one village and even though three people wanted to join my crew I could only take two of them unless I went back and dropped them off. This also made it impossible to recruit people if you had two crew members following you around.

• Options
    I really wish they'd fix the resolution issues

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Tulabelle wrote: »

is a forest planet different from a jungle planet?

jungle planets are radioactive I think

• Options
    edited July 2016
    How do you make copper wire, batteries, silicon board, etc? I assume it's some crafting table but i've made all the things on my engineer's table and it needs those items in order to be upgraded.

E: Oh maybe the tier 3 furnace? That just needs durasteel, gold, glass and volatile powder. The problem is i've found literally zero core fragments outside of the first tutorial planet region. I've explored pretty deep on several... maybe not deep enough. Blegh.

Aistan on