As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    How do you make copper wire, batteries, silicon board, etc? I assume it's some crafting table but i've made all the things on my engineer's table and it needs those items in order to be upgraded.

E: Oh maybe the tier 3 furnace? That just needs durasteel, gold, glass and volatile powder. The problem is i've found literally zero core fragments outside of the first tutorial planet region. I've explored pretty deep on several... maybe not deep enough. Blegh.

Yeah, it's the atomic furnace (tier 3). You need to literally go to the core of a planet to find the core fragments. Right above the bottomless pit of lava will be lots of core fragments (and lots of little pools of lava)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Aistan, you know what they look like naturally right? cause when i first saw them they looked like lava and i stayed away. I only got the first quest done because i found a bunch in boxes in a mine dungeon. but yeah they are deep but pretty common at that level and in batches of like 30+

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    How do you make copper wire, batteries, silicon board, etc? I assume it's some crafting table but i've made all the things on my engineer's table and it needs those items in order to be upgraded.

E: Oh maybe the tier 3 furnace? That just needs durasteel, gold, glass and volatile powder. The problem is i've found literally zero core fragments outside of the first tutorial planet region. I've explored pretty deep on several... maybe not deep enough. Blegh.

They still show up on other planets. Dug down to the magma layer on a jungle planet for some recently.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Aistan, you know what they look like naturally right? cause when i first saw them they looked like lava and i stayed away. I only got the first quest done because i found a bunch in boxes in a mine dungeon. but yeah they are deep but pretty common at that level and in batches of like 30+

I was short 5 in the mine on my starting planet. I had to dig down to get the rest; took me over 2 hours. MAN I hated that

• Options
    I finally maxed out my ship upgrades and I've started decorating in it. I'm not quite finished though but I'm getting there!

61D0E9D27BCA5B01DA70283280EC90B668573BFD
    8D7CC8A97EFBFD50808487E4143E418284666221

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I was short 5 in the mine on my starting planet. I had to dig down to get the rest; took me over 2 hours. MAN I hated that

I did this. Then I found 15 more in the crates of that guy's camp. So I stole all his crates.

Asshole.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Magic Pink

Were you not emptying every crate in the mine? I had way more core fragments than I needed between the couple dozen I grabbed from the chests and the ones the boss dropped.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    As far as ranged weapons go, I've found the flamethrower I got to be the most useful one.

It just melts through everything. Everything else I've found to be abit underpowered (with the exception of maybe launchers) but still prefer guns to melee overall.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @Magic Pink

Were you not emptying every crate in the mine? I had way more core fragments than I needed between the couple dozen I grabbed from the chests and the ones the boss dropped.

It's random. Sometimes you'll get 30, sometimes you'll get like 5. My first run through I got 19, so I had to do like Magic Pink and dig down for the last one, though it didn't take me long at all (just point the MM below me and hold down the button. I was at the core within minutes)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Eh, going deep mining isnt that difficult. You want the pulse jump to keep you from dying as you drop down but all you have to do is dig straight down, dropping a flare or putting up a torch occasionally (This is before you get mining helmet or backpack). as long as you have a straight down hole (its actually pretty forgiving not requireing an exact vertical shaft), you can teleport out.

It's even easier when you have a good light source. My weapons suck at this point, ive made no armor beyond cosmetic and have gone to the lava level of planets several times.

• Options
    edited July 2016

No I scoured it about 4 times to make sure; every other youtube video I watched of it had people slopping over with the dang things.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    @Magic Pink

It's random. Sometimes you'll get 30, sometimes you'll get like 5. My first run through I got 19, so I had to do like Magic Pink and dig down for the last one, though it didn't take me long at all (just point the MM below me and hold down the button. I was at the core within minutes)

Yeah, but you have to watch for fall damage and then you have to come back UP.

• Options
    Eh, going deep mining isnt that difficult. You want the pulse jump to keep you from dying as you drop down but all you have to do is dig straight down, dropping a flare or putting up a torch occasionally

You can't have the pulse jump at the first mine.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Eh, going deep mining isnt that difficult. You want the pulse jump to keep you from dying as you drop down but all you have to do is dig straight down, dropping a flare or putting up a torch occasionally (This is before you get mining helmet or backpack). as long as you have a straight down hole (its actually pretty forgiving not requireing an exact vertical shaft), you can teleport out.

It's even easier when you have a good light source. My weapons suck at this point, ive made no armor beyond cosmetic and have gone to the lava level of planets several times.
    Whaaaaat

Did they change it from where you needed to be 'above ground' and punch a hole in the back wall?

• Options
    @Magic Pink

I happened to have a lot of salve so damage wasn't an issue (and I got lucky that I didn't fall into any real big caverns), and you can teleport from underground (or at least I could. I'm on casual so maybe that's why?)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I happened to have a lot of salve so damage wasn't an issue (and I got lucky that I didn't fall into any real big caverns), and you can teleport from underground (or at least I could. I'm on casual so maybe that's why?)

I wasn't able to. And the save and quit trick didn't work either.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Whaaaaat

Did they change it from where you needed to be 'above ground' and punch a hole in the back wall?

That has not been the case for me. I just dig more or less a straight hole downward and I've ported out all the way down at the lava level. The pulse jump is pretty obtainable from just finding copper ore near the surface. when i say deep mining i mean you pick a spot and dig straight down until you see something interesting, continue going down as needed...then transport out.

btw, i am playing casual so maybe thats a difference.

azith28 on
  • Options

Whaaaaat

You can port out from anywhere on casual mode. Survival requires open space above.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'll give a deep dig a try then. For the first 20 I found all of them in crates, didn't dig any of them. And since I haven't needed them at all up to this point I completely forgot they even existed.

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I was just looking at the wiki, to see the current techs.. and I died a little inside when I saw that Butterfly Boost and the other techs of its type are gone :(
    I need to be able to fly around in the air with a guitar, or keytar or something, playing the Superman theme song!

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Oh awesome

Crew recruitment stuff:
    I took a quest to hunt down a challenging target, with the npc hired assistance. When I got there the npc was one-shot by the guy's sniper rifle, but i'm able to dodge and set him on fire. Down low enough and he does his surrendering thing, but instead of nothing happening at all when I put my weapon away instead he says he needs to lay low and offers to join my crew.

So now i've got a guy with a kickass eyepatch on board. I doubt he kept his cool sniper rifle though.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Every planet should have core fragments.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Oh awesome

Crew recruitment stuff:
    I took a quest to hunt down a challenging target, with the npc hired assistance. When I got there the npc was one-shot by the guy's sniper rifle, but i'm able to dodge and set him on fire. Down low enough and he does his surrendering thing, but instead of nothing happening at all when I put my weapon away instead he says he needs to lay low and offers to join my crew.

So now i've got a guy with a kickass eyepatch on board. I doubt he kept his cool sniper rifle though.
    Yeah, when they surrender, if you put your weapon away they'll either do that or something to the effect of "haha! Fooled you!" and resume attacking. Usually with a rocket launcher, it seems.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I killed a bat and it dropped a bat statue.

That's a thing i guess

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I wish you could change crew inventories and weapons. Themed crews would be pretty fun.

Edit: Crew displays on the UI to show their health would be good, too. Maybe also have their commands available on the UI instead of via pressing E on them, as I keep accidentally giving them orders when I wanted to interact with an object behind them.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    I killed a bat and it dropped a bat statue.

That's a thing i guess
    Every unique monster has a 1/1000 chance to drop a figure of themselves.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Got my first crewmate.

He's a janitor and under his name it just says "dead inside".

He's a keeper.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Anyone else experiencing crashes seemingly related to certain windows? I've had three crashes that I'm pretty sure have been caused by excavation and vehicle repair windows closing.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Anyone else experiencing crashes seemingly related to certain windows? I've had three crashes that I'm pretty sure have been caused by excavation and vehicle repair windows closing.

my buddy just experienced a crash at the sign making thing at the colony?

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »

my buddy just experienced a crash at the sign making thing at the colony?
    Just went and tried it on my end. Crashed over here as well. Can anyone else try these out?

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Guys help me i have been doing nothing but strip mining planets all day just digging giant gaping holes.
    ksc61xpmzjw2.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    The lack of checkpoints in the Avian temple can go eat a dick.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    So I'm a colony slumlord now. I have too many colonists, actually, and now my framerate suuuuuuuucks. But the avali-themed rooms up top I'm pretty proud of, while everything else below it is a shithole.

524C5CCB67982269426ACAD9E480A8371068AACF
    564C1166E750F60A647608565C96E6750BF92943

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmmm is durasteel armour the end of that tech tree? I don't see any better armour and I have found anything non cosmetic out in the wild

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hmmm is durasteel armour the end of that tech tree? I don't see any better armour and I have found anything non cosmetic out in the wild

I think the armors after durasteel have to be crafted at the accelerator/manipulator/separator tables

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

I found some purple armor on vendors on volcanic/dark planets, but they are fairly rare. Not especially expensive (less than 10k IIRC) if you find them though.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

I think the armors after durasteel have to be crafted at the accelerator/manipulator/separator tables

Yeah, you'll need to build those at the architect table.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I've been playing the launch version of this game off and on for about a week or so and I am still living in a repurposed broken tower I found on my starting world. Seeing the majestic palaces and spaceships you all inhabit makes me think I need to put some more time into upping my architecture game.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Is the screen flickering a lot a known thing or am I a special flower?
    Get it? Because I'm a floran.
    named Bayonettle

Magic Pink on