As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I was wandering around a volcanic planet when inspiration came to me for what I wanted to do with the final room on my ship by the engines. It's decidedly low-tech, but I'm okay with that

816E7B958F215CB8D28F2F05807C2FBE13B186B1

I'm also wearing the Fire Lord armor because it seemed to fit the theme.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Alien worm gun is devastating from a DPS perspective and you can use it to trick shot around corners/walls.

It's amazing.
    It comes with a pretty big "have to look away lest I dry heave" debuff though.

Really? Why?

Honestly, you do not seem to be living up to your name, Dr. Chaos.
    Well, can't say I've ever been a big fan of creepy flesh colored tentacles complete with skin crawling sound effects.

It is quite powerful though. Definitely won't argue with that.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Alien worm gun is devastating from a DPS perspective and you can use it to trick shot around corners/walls.

It's amazing.
    It comes with a pretty big "have to look away lest I dry heave" debuff though.

Really? Why?

Honestly, you do not seem to be living up to your name, Dr. Chaos.
    Well, can't say I've ever been a big fan of creepy flesh colored tentacles complete with skin crawling sound effects.

It is quite powerful though. Definitely won't argue with that.

Man I love the hentai gun. I sold mine because I was raising money to upgrade my ship but now I don't need pixels as much and can start collecting the cool stuff again

JtgVX0H.png
    edited July 2016
    Think I'm starting to get into explosives myself. I've become quite fond of dual wielding grenade launchers.

Game isn't making it easy to craft bombs though. You need core fragments to make volatile powder and usually takes awhile to get through the blocks down there.

Dr. Chaos on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Anything unique both outfit-wise or weapon-wise I have to keep. I'm never going to use most of them, but they are rare drops so I can't get rid of them that'd be crazy.

Already my hat box filled one of my size 32 storage boxes and has almost halfway filled another. All the other types are less numerous. I did find the wedding dress skirt though so now i'm the perfect prettiest carnivorous butterfly princess. With a bear on their head.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    What's the best way to mine? I've been doing pickaxes but they are still slower then I want

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Better pickaxes. Drills eventually.

Upgrade your Matter Manipulator.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure a fully upgraded matter manipulator is just better than anything else in the base game for drilling.
    Though, if you really wanna break blocks fast, the Ronin Rho mech from that XS-Corp mechs mod's left click is actually super good for mining.

edited July 2016
    Bucketman wrote: »
    What's the best way to mine? I've been doing pickaxes but they are still slower then I want
    First thing I did was max out the matter manipulator's deconstruction rate. It helps alot.

Though some stuff like blocks close to the planet cores still take abit longer than I would like to dig out, especially if it's stuff you're trying to hoard.

Dr. Chaos on
    Anyone wanna hop on and help me build a thing? (I'm having trouble deciding on aesthetics)
    Though this would also in all likely hood also be finding out what happens when you connect to someone who's using different mods.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I've only played for about 4 hours so far but god damn, there is just so much stuff to do in this game. I've just beaten the Erchius "dungeon" and I have no idea what I want to do next. I could start building a colony, or go look for some gold to get the next tech upgrade, or start building a farm or a bigger base, or look for Tungsten so I can get some better armor, or I could even actually get round to the next story mission! Which is actually what I think I should do, since I don't think I have enough stuff to do any of the above and its not really worth trying to build a huge farm when I'm using a wooden watering can to water it.

Does anyone know where/if you can sell your old weapons? I've got a few obsolete ones that I'm not using and I really need the pixels more at this stage.

Mr Ray wrote: »
    I've only played for about 4 hours so far but god damn, there is just so much stuff to do in this game. I've just beaten the Erchius "dungeon" and I have no idea what I want to do next. I could start building a colony, or go look for some gold to get the next tech upgrade, or start building a farm or a bigger base, or look for Tungsten so I can get some better armor, or I could even actually get round to the next story mission! Which is actually what I think I should do, since I don't think I have enough stuff to do any of the above and its not really worth trying to build a huge farm when I'm using a wooden watering can to water it.

Does anyone know where/if you can sell your old weapons? I've got a few obsolete ones that I'm not using and I really need the pixels more at this stage.
    You can sell stuff at any merchant. There's several merchants around the outpost. The closest one to the teleporter in is the Legal Goods shack just out the right exterior door of the outpost.

cB557 wrote: »

You can sell stuff at any merchant. There's several merchants around the outpost. The closest one to the teleporter in is the Legal Goods shack just out the right exterior door of the outpost.

Can't you sell to the teleporter shop?

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »

Can't you sell to the teleporter shop?
    Nope.

I was wandering around a volcanic planet when inspiration came to me for what I wanted to do with the final room on my ship by the engines. It's decidedly low-tech, but I'm okay with that

816E7B958F215CB8D28F2F05807C2FBE13B186B1

I'm also wearing the Fire Lord armor because it seemed to fit the theme.

Looking at my own screenshot at work makes my ship look really dark. Is that just the monitor here at work, or is my monitor at home just really bright? Because at home everything looks like it's at a normal brightness to me.

JtgVX0H.png
    edited August 2016
    It looks about as dark as my ship does with no/low lighting. Your monitor is probably a bit brighter.

E: My ship for comparison.
    B6A19C13BEDAA6747F665D9F6B3150FE1E7E5C3C

Aistan on
    So that would probably mean I'm not supposed to be able to see well on midnight planets without a flashlight, lol. I think I'll turn my monitor's brightness setting down a bit when I get home then, because I do like being forced to use lights and stuff. Right now everything is just sort of mostly samey unless I'm underground and it's pitch black.

JtgVX0H.png
    Yeah for me on planets at nighttime I can barely make out anything. The shape of the ground and that's about it.

Oh, boy. I started a new character, and it turns out one of the windows that causes the game to crash when you try to close it is the one to repair the gate on the starter planet.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    My friend and I made a huge base

Built on an ocean world, the very top is a farm that goes into the sky with multiple levels, good for making money

second part is crafting and gear/junk storage, this is at about water level

then we made a huge tunnel going all the way to the bottom and lined it with apartments/colony deeds

still filling it out but its mostly built

at the bottom is a huge glass enclosure with trees

going to make a village there later

Al_wat wrote: »

Built on an ocean world, the very top is a farm that goes into the sky with multiple levels, good for making money

then we made a huge tunnel going all the way to the bottom and lined it with apartments/colony deeds

Pix please, I love seeing other people's builds

JtgVX0H.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Is the screen flickering a lot a known thing or am I a special flower?
    Get it? Because I'm a floran.
    named Bayonettle
    It generally starts happening whenever I find a heavily populated settlement or visit the more populated side of the outpost.

There was a patch note that said the screen will purposely flicker if you use bad puns to name yourself.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    azith28 wrote: »
    named Bayonettle
    It generally starts happening whenever I find a heavily populated settlement or visit the more populated side of the outpost.

There was a patch note that said the screen will purposely flicker if you use bad puns to name yourself.
    Does it do that for goddamn incredible puns too? If not, that still doesn't explain Pink's issue.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    named Bayonettle

Mine happens literally all the time. It's like a 3 inch wide bar of static on the bottom half of the screen. I'm gonna try switching back to windowed mode and see if it stops.

Not sure how you guys are doing the quests / upgrading your ships so quickly. I've been playing on and off about a week, I've only managed to grab 2 crewmembers even though i spent like 2 hours in the same village just doing quests for people. I'm on the second race search and thats going swimmingly (the fish people...sorry..i just made my screen flicker) but still kinda slow.

I've got tons of the upgrade ship items but i presume i need either lots of pixels to cheat the license or more people. Whats the fastest way to get crew? I'd really like to move all my stations into my ship and start organizing my storage.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Oh man, don't lose power while playing. Relogged, inventory was intact, universe was intact, bookmarks were wiped, and the Outpost had reverted to the initial state with the stores closed.
    I fixed it!

You have to start a new character and do the first 'scan all.the crap/defeat the horror' quest to re-unlock the shops.

Protip:
    /admin
    /spawnitem corefragmentore 20
    And in admin mode you are invincible and can craft without resources, so get your self a pair of aegisalt pistols to burn through the horror mission.

So your solution to the problem of losing your progress was to beat the game via admin cheats?

Not sure how you guys are doing the quests / upgrading your ships so quickly. I've been playing on and off about a week, I've only managed to grab 2 crewmembers even though i spent like 2 hours in the same village just doing quests for people. I'm on the second race search and thats going swimmingly (the fish people...sorry..i just made my screen flicker) but still kinda slow.

I've got tons of the upgrade ship items but i presume i need either lots of pixels to cheat the license or more people. Whats the fastest way to get crew? I'd really like to move all my stations into my ship and start organizing my storage.

I didn't start bothering with crew until the end of the game, but when I did I just built some quick, shitty apartments and had a bunch of people move in and then I started doing every quest for them that came up. For me it was a lot faster initially to just raise the money to buy the licenses, but your experience may vary

JtgVX0H.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So your solution to the problem of losing your progress was to beat the game via admin cheats?

I think they meant start again but use admin cheats to quickly get back to where they had gotten before.

Which honestly still isn't a great "fix" but what can you do?

No: The Outpost is shared. New character re-opened the bugged shops and went in the bin allowing First character to finally blow all those pixels he's been forced to hoard on eggs.

(I also had to replant all my crops, rebuild all my silk-things and my colonists had to be evicted and resettled before they would produce. The one cow I had already bought will never produce milk again, and is now just freeloading off my grass.)

No: The Outpost is shared. New character re-opened the bugged shops and went in the bin allowing First character to finally blow all those pixels he's been forced to hoard on eggs.

(I also had to replant all my crops, rebuild all my silk-things and my colonists had to be evicted and resettled before they would produce. The one cow I had already bought will never produce milk again, and is now just freeloading off my grass.)

I believe I read that you can remove any unwanted cows with lava. Just sayin

JtgVX0H.png
    Oh really...

I wonder if a bone avalanche would also serve? I have plenty of those. (I don't seem to suffocate, but I have an EPP? I swear that was a thing)

edited August 2016
    named Bayonettle

Hey.

Professor Bananas didn't choose the name.

The name chose Professor Bananas.

Dr. Chaos on
    edited August 2016

Pix please, I love seeing other people's builds

This is the crafting area. You can see the very top of the tunnel that leads down to the bottom.

0cbabb0c-4231-4b15-9fe1-1d4d9b45933e_zpsl17nes9y.jpg

The next image is above and to the left of the previous pic. There are more rows of crops to the left and right, and a few levels up. Just above this image is the cooking area with a Terramart shipments launcher thingy.

Linked for size

This shows the apartments at the bottom of the tunnel. The tunnel itself is lined on both sides with those apartments - they have no furniture yet and need colony deeds; but the rooms themselves are built in terms of walls and platforms. You can see the teleporter we setup at the bottom - we have one at the top too so we don't need to climb the tunnel if we don't want to. The tunnel itself has 22 apartments in it - 11 high from the point they start doubling up above the glass enclosure part *(not including the three shown in this pic, so there are a total of 25 apartments)

smaller%20Bottom%201_zpsuarr5zja.jpg

This shows the right end of the glass covered forest. Its about a screen and a half over from the prev. image when i run 1080p at min zoom.

smaller%20Bottom%204_zps1mj7njko.jpg

Al_wat on
    edited August 2016
    Going to refrain from downloading it for awhile for challenge's sake but the mech mod looks fucking amazing.

Surprised theres not already one in the game. Would make for a pretty badass endgame goal.

Dr. Chaos on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I read that you can remove any unwanted cows with lava.

Modern factory farming methods in the US really are brutal.

Wait what thread am I in?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Anyone know an easy non /admin way to get Sticks of RAM?

I can start making airlock tunnels like you see in that underwater hyotl mission once i get some

Anyone know an easy non /admin way to get Sticks of RAM?

I can start making airlock tunnels like you see in that underwater hyotl mission once i get some
    Just gotta find a biome with mechanical enemies and get to stabbin', I think.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I should have bookmarked the one I found a while back. It had neat floating lightbulb enemies.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    You can actually craft sticks of ram with a upgraded furnace