As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

Elvenshae wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Yea, this isn't the game for me. Restarted on a new planet that was much more giving in the initial stages. Then get to the Mining Facility and. . .restart the whole thing if you die. Yea. I'm out. I can take losing shit on death and being meticulous with your navigation, but having to redo a slog of a level because you get stuck between enemies that do massive damage and can hit you through planes that you can't shoot through? I'm done. Unfortunately I'm sure I'm past the "tryout" phase for STEAM so I'm stuck with this license.

Meh.

So, on your basic crafting menu, you can make a flag using ... copper bars and some cloth, I think?

Anyway, you can drop that wherever you want and then us'E' it to set a teleport beacon. You can then teleport to that location from your ship, making trips back-and-forth between your home base (put a flag there, too) and the mine very quick.

Well THAT would have been handy to know. I assumed I was waiting for some sort of advanced teleporter technology.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Yea, this isn't the game for me. Restarted on a new planet that was much more giving in the initial stages. Then get to the Mining Facility and. . .restart the whole thing if you die. Yea. I'm out. I can take losing shit on death and being meticulous with your navigation, but having to redo a slog of a level because you get stuck between enemies that do massive damage and can hit you through planes that you can't shoot through? I'm done. Unfortunately I'm sure I'm past the "tryout" phase for STEAM so I'm stuck with this license.

Meh.

So, on your basic crafting menu, you can make a flag using ... copper bars and some cloth, I think?

Anyway, you can drop that wherever you want and then us'E' it to set a teleport beacon. You can then teleport to that location from your ship, making trips back-and-forth between your home base (put a flag there, too) and the mine very quick.

Well THAT would have been handy to know. I assumed I was waiting for some sort of advanced teleporter technology.

Just remember you can't teleport FROM a flag, just to one. Teleporters let you go both ways

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    The Flag is easily overlooked!

On flags:

If you tear it down and rebuild it, the old bookmark still seems to exist. I haven't dared trying to warp to it or delete it, but if you're crash-shy: I would suggest deleting the bookmark before removing the flag.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    The Flag is easily overlooked!

On flags:

If you tear it down and rebuild it, the old bookmark still seems to exist. I haven't dared trying to warp to it or delete it, but if you're crash-shy: I would suggest deleting the bookmark before removing the flag.

In those cases you just teleport back to the ship.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

Meh.

No kidding! Every time I've flipped through the crafting menu looking for something to help a little guy survive on a hostile alien world, I've skipped right over the flag because how could that possibly help.

I'm getting the sense that these devs have gotten so accustomed to their community being all-up-ons their wikis and guides that they've neglected to include some really basic in-game information.

I guess someone could make the Dark Souls comparison here again, but that's not really the kind of obscurity I'm looking for in this kind of game.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I don't mind the item drop too much but the hunger depletes a bit too damn fast for my liking.

Only bothers me when I get pulled away to address toddler problems and I return to find myself standing in my ship with all my items on the deck and my wallet somewhat lighter.

But I have invested heavily in agriculture; so a backpack full of solid meals only takes a few minutes to prep.

Your hunger bar doesn't move while you're in a bed. Or if it does, it's a lot slower than normal.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I don't mind the item drop too much but the hunger depletes a bit too damn fast for my liking.

I find this more frustrating than having to go back for items, especially when they don't disappear (or does it work like Dark Souls? I haven't died twice).

I'd rather do the admin mode for the mines honestly, than lower the difficulty; it's the restarting that frustrated me.

I enabled Admin to get a feel for the level, and did find the shortcut. I also have been using a spear, and was able to get the timing of the enemies attacks right to basically make it so they didn't shoot shit at me. Same with the mad guys. Managed to kill the boss of the level on the third try (said fuck it and just ran around spamming heal and hitting buttons; I don't have the finger dexterity to avoid getting hit, avoid the enemies AND navigate back to healing items when needed) and was rewarded handsomely (machine gun, Jedi sword, and a better spear that shoots poison spew).

I do wish the game were a little less esoteric and controlled a little bit better but I just needed to take a break I guess after several setbacks yesterday.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I do wish the game were a little less esoteric and controlled a little bit better but I just needed to take a break I guess after several setbacks yesterday.
    Did you do the quests to unlock the techs yet? If you don't like the way you move around currently, techs might change that.

cB557 on
  • Options
    Well, this is odd. The crashes on osx are fixed, but now when I start a new character, every single one of the main story NPCs is already at the outpost and the gate to the Ruin is already open.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Did you do the quests to unlock the techs yet? If you don't like the way you move around currently, techs might change that.

I have the jump and dash (which took me an hour. . .maybe I just suck at this game). I have a whooping two gold bars; I know I can go back down to go get some but my body shakes just thinking about that.

I mostly mean using the keyboard to do these jumps I'm not the best at. Just feels clunky for me.

• Options
    Well, this is odd. The crashes on osx are fixed, but now when I start a new character, every single one of the main story NPCs is already at the outpost and the gate to the Ruin is already open.

Was this not already the case? The solution I found to fix my Outpost was predicated on its state being shared across toons, and it wasn't new.

• Options

Was this not already the case? The solution I found to fix my Outpost was predicated on its state being shared across toons, and it wasn't new.
    Oh, huh. I hadn't taken any new characters to the outpost until after the patch, and I hadn't heard anything about this before, so I figured it was new.

• Options
    You could just delete your universe folder and it'll reset everything if you want to make sure that doesn't happen.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Nah, I don't wanna lose that stuff on my other character.
    It is kinda annoying for a reason I doubt anyone else would have. I'm playing this on a pretty crappy computer. This game runs okay on it, for the most part, but for some reason the open gate to the Ruin lags my game really bad when I'm near it. Like, decimal point at the start of frames per second bad. And for some reason once that happens it makes the game slow down even once I've gotten the gate offscreen, and I have to restart the game to make that go away. So, that's gonna make the main quests annoying.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I always strip the first planet bare of vines at the top level almost solely to make healing items.

Enjoying the release so far, but as always the combat remains the worst part of the game. Enemies do too much damage with too little in the way of ability variety, WASD movement is too fiddly for how fast they are, and the only way to make things tolerable is to trivialize them with weapons powerful enough to one-shot them.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    It seems like my farm is reaching the point where its too much of a pain to water with just a wooden watering can anymore. I've just gotten to titanium so I can probably make a better watering can soon,* but I thought I'd try making myself an irrigation system since I just got the liquid collection matter manipulator upgrade thingy. No dice. Seems like I can't just plop water down wherever I like; it has to have a closed container to sit in. So I made a cistern, thinking I'd just let the water out and have it wash over all my plants. Nope. It just floods the couple of tiles it hits reverting the plants on them to seeds, and soaks straight into the ground. Is it actually possible to make an irrigation system before you get sprinklers?

* Incidentally it seems ridiculous that the only thing I'm missing for the watering can is green dye, which can only be made by mixing blue and yellow dye at a sewing machine. Which raises the questions:
    • Why can you not just harvest green dye from the green plants that are freaking everywhere?
    • Why does mixing two liquids require a sewing machine?
    • Why does the sewing machine have to be made out of titanium?
    • Why can't I just make the watering can a different colour, eliminating the need for green dye?

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Well I mean you COULD use just random plant juice for green dye

but then it'd turn all brown and icky and we just can't have that.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I'm just annoyed that I can have blue dye in one hand, yellow dye in the other, and yet my dude can't figure out the complex alchemy of combining the two to make green without the aid of space-age machinery.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I'm just annoyed that I can have blue dye in one hand, yellow dye in the other, and yet my dude can't figure out the complex alchemy of combining the two to make green without the aid of space-age machinery.

Once you upgrade your agriculture desk (can't remember actual name) you will be able to craft sprinklers. Costs darksteel, iirc. Range is about 8-10 blocks both ways.

• Options
    Reboot wrote: »

Once you upgrade your agriculture desk (can't remember actual name) you will be able to craft sprinklers. Costs darksteel, iirc. Range is about 8-10 blocks both ways.

15 blocks (!), just got some. I've not found any durasteel deposits, but 15 ore is a pretty common quest reward. Loving that system.

And it just occurred to me that they are 2 wide, thus a natural spot for the passthrough platforms in a vertical farm... excellent.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Build your farm on a planet that rains regularly

Build it so your crops get rained on

Never have to worry about watering your plants

• Options
    But if it's above ground the Glitch villagers will see the vulgar technologies used to produce their food. How else am I supposed to secretly corrupt their way of life and awaken their true potential?

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen an issue where (on a dedicated server) if players are on the same screen, they appear choppy/laggy but the NPCs don't?

I know if the server CPU is close to maxed out the NPCs start slowing down, but I'm not sure why the players would start to 'stutter.'

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    My guess on stuttering players would be network related. NPCs come straight from the server, but a player needs to send their information to the server, which then shunts it to the other players.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Al_wat wrote: »

Is it possible to see the frequency of rain on a planet from orbit? Like, I know I can see the types of weather that can happen, but can you actually get the frequency anywhere?

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    My guess on stuttering players would be network related. NPCs come straight from the server, but a player needs to send their information to the server, which then shunts it to the other players.

Hmm, good point. I hadn't considered it too much since the connection between a player and the server was okay.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options

Is it possible to see the frequency of rain on a planet from orbit? Like, I know I can see the types of weather that can happen, but can you actually get the frequency anywhere?

not that I know of

I know on my ocean world base it rains quite often. When I sometimes do break down and start watering my plants manually, it always starts raining within 30 seconds

• Options
    Found a unique sword, the Asuterosaberu DX, that matches the rainbow cape and hood I'd picked up awhile back, so now I have a new outfit! The sword itself has falling sparkles like the rainbow cape, and it has a unique slash animation to it. It's special ability is called "astral rift" and you basically tear open space and time to damage enemies that walk into the tear. It's nearly as powerful as the repaired Protectorate Sword so I figured I'd play with it for awhile.

EDAF2106D757AFE64E27BD3A114AD212D683D287

The astral rift is behind me, while I show off the slash animation
    2C5A32E6BAE3A42FE745B2F490044A9464480BF5

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Ah, man. I have that sword, but I don't have that hood, and I saw an NPC warp into the outpost with it a bit back and I immediately knew I needed it.

• Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    Just got that sword too. Astral Rift... hmmm.

I usually carry sword/shield with a 2H ranged alt. So I dunno if I'll change to use it as a main weap.

• Options
    Ah, man. I have that sword, but I don't have that hood, and I saw an NPC warp into the outpost with it a bit back and I immediately knew I needed it.

Just look for colorful sub-biomes. It'll have a chance to be in any of the rainbow chests. Also, if you place a bunch of rainbow furniture in a house and place a colony deed, you'll have a rainbow rogue NPC show up (I have one on my ship because why not?)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I may or may not have admin'd my way to the bottom of an ocean of magma to build a winter home.

5A0CE86E789EEF4A0519C48716567F08B42F0958

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Fuck. I copy and pasted the storage folder after admin'ing to see what items you get from the upgraded crafting tables, and now my mouse wont go below a certain level at full screen full resolution. The issue is fixed if I delete my "universe" folder, but I had all my shit stored there and really liked my starting planet. Anyone come across this issue or have a fix for it?

• Options
    now I want to make a magma base

• Options

I didn't think to try it out, but the heat resistance epp augment and/or good healing food/stims might let you do it without having to cheat like I did.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

I didn't think to try it out, but the heat resistance epp augment and/or good healing food/stims might let you do it without having to cheat like I did.

sadly the fire resist EPPA only works on the fire dot, not the lava/magma dot.

• Options

I guess that leaves either admining your way down like I did, or going the very labor intensive route of building a tunnel or dirt/rock down to the bedrock, then constructing your base from there.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    The extra sentient races you find around the various planets every once awhile has been a nice surprise.
    Like the koala people (that say exactly what they're thinking out loud) I found while roaming a cosmic outback.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options

I guess that leaves either admining your way down like I did, or going the very labor intensive route of building a tunnel or dirt/rock down to the bedrock, then constructing your base from there.
    The latter isn't too hard.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Finally found the irradiated shit hole of my dreams. Acid rain, abandoned/doom civilization, poisonous water and toxic sludge everywhere.
    o4PB8fy.jpg

Perfect place to create my garish golden super villain lair. Currently torn between building a large tower base vs an underground lab.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile