As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Bleeeeeh I accidentally broke the teleporter to my colony world, then after making a flag forgot to interact with it before beaming back to my ship.

Bleeeh.

BLEEEEEEH.

Time to go back to every jungle planet around a radioactive star I guess.

E: Found it. Dumile Tide III for when I do this again accidentally.

Aistan on
    cB557
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Perfect place to create my garish golden super villain lair. Currently torn between building a large tower base vs an underground lab.

Why not both?

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    DarmakElvenshaeDr. ChaosErin The RedNackmatholnBasil
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Bleeeeeh I accidentally broke the teleporter to my colony world, then after making a flag forgot to interact with it before beaming back to my ship.

Bleeeh.

BLEEEEEEH.

Time to go back to every jungle planet around a radioactive star I guess.

E: Found it. Dumile Tide III for when I do this again accidentally.

I did something like that once, except I had cheated my way to whatever star system was closest to 0, 0 at the time to set up an easy to find place for every new character I made to get loaded out for however long that universe lasted

leaving my actual storehouse at something like 700,000,000, -900,000,000 and nothing but the dashed line in the nav computer to give me any clue where it was

it was on zell frontier 3b, but since I had just done some remodeling I had knocked all the flags down. I still had flags on zell frontier 3, but since my ship was on the other side of the universe that didn't matter at all

I could see it, in the sky

in the end I spent like three hours refining a slope function accurate enough to let me scan up the route-traveled line in intervals of ten million

which was actually pretty fun? I'd have to say it was probably the most fun I've ever had doing math and finally setting that bookmark in the nav computer felt like a real accomplishment

but then it turned out the endeavor had blown my save file up to something ridiculous like twenty gigs, so I reverted to my weekly backup

not realizing until several days later that I had not at any point written down the actual coordinates

AistanAl_watDarmakcB557Erin The RedMr RayDrake ChambersBasil
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Whenever I beam down to a moon my mental faculties pretty much immediately devote themselves to repeating the phrases "spoopy," "gettin' spooped on," and variations thereupon over and over until I beam back up.

I just suck up moon jizz until the glowing pink buttholes eat me

I was going back through the thread looking at people's pictures and this post I made still cracks my shit up because I am literally 7 years old

JtgVX0H.png
    Al_watElvenshaecB557Erin The Red
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Is there seriously no map generator/display program for this game anywhere?

I've scoured the internet and come up with nothing. Why would an enthusiastic community fail to figure out how to hack the map files and generate something, even a bare bones preview? I mean in my experience people like to show off overviews of their worlds, how much they have built on the surface etc. Mindblowing to me that nobody has done anything with it, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Found StarboundEd which I guess is a dead project from 2 years ago that won't work in recent releases.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    ArbitraryDescriptorElvenshae
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Is there seriously no map generator/display program for this game anywhere?

I've scoured the internet and come up with nothing. Why would an enthusiastic community fail to figure out how to hack the map files and generate something, even a bare bones preview? I mean in my experience people like to show off overviews of their worlds, how much they have built on the surface etc. Mindblowing to me that nobody has done anything with it, as far as I can tell.

The major hurdle I see with mapping would be if you (as a modder) can get a snapshot of the blocks on screen as data and can draw arbitrary bitmap data to the screen. I've got some ideas for a tiered progression* for mapping tech, so I keep meaning to have a look at the mod framework, but I think I may be bored again.

And I strongly suspect the world is only simulated within a certain distance from you, so my survey dones wouldn't be possible.

*Paper map, manual use, chalks a symbol on the wall or drops a survey stake, records what's on screen. Must manually infer location from nearby landmarks (or ref symbols). For some reason, this amuses me greatly. Upgrades to digital, auto tracking, auto mapping, etc.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Not even minimap on screen, I just mean being able to point a program at your world files and say "make me a png." Can't even do that.

I would guess that the dev never put a framework in place for recording areas you've seen/haven't seen on a planet like in Terraria, probably would bloat saves when you have to store 3000x2000 visibility bits for every single planet...but as far as I'm concerned that's not even necessary, just want to be able to see, well, this kind of thing:

VqhFeW7.png?1

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    cB557DrezAistanArbitraryDescriptorAl_wat
    Hmm.

The world grid should be in there as an array. Maybe separate for foreground/background. Mobile objects probably stored with coordinates. Placed objects could be in one or the other. But that should be inferrable from some diffs.

Diffing the file after building a vertical pillar should help determine row length, which should lead to identifying where that is stored. Which is all you'd need to infer object location refered to by a coordinate system.

Diff after building a table should zero you in on placeables, and planting a chicken or a colonist should give you some indiciation of where non-statics live.

Sounds fun, unless the file uses some proprietary compression scheme.. In which case blerg. One would hope they just zip them.

World files are weird. I looked at the source for StarboundEd, and it looks like they've changed a fair amount. 1-7 used to identify preceding var types, they appear to be stored differently now, at first glance. The bulk of the file is 2k chunks of something, and these are consistent between saves, but their order changes which makes diffing useless; will have to write something to rip them out and match them to see if I can correlate them to simple alterations.

The files also seem to get longer over time; the chunks at the end of the file are prefixed with FF (ascii F, not byte) , these seem to be the ones filling up with... something over time, appending new chunks as they fill. The bulk of it are "LL" chunks, so I think those are tile chunks.

I should probably be posting this in their mod forums, but I don't wanna make an account.

Hey! Starbound interest renewed!

(I did find some indication that it is possible to keep-alive arbitrary world chunks via the LUA api, so maybe those drones are possible!)

cB557ElvenshaeNackmatholn
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Any tips on recruiting crew members?

I wearing Durasteel armor and I have yet to get even a single crew member D:

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Do missions for NPCs. Find a village or something and you'll usually get several at a time you can go do nearby, then turn in. Eventually one of them will offer to join your crew after.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    cB557HappylilElfNackmatholnErin The Red
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Do missions for NPCs. Find a village or something and you'll usually get several at a time you can go do nearby, then turn in. Eventually one of them will offer to join your crew after.

Ah ok I usually don't stick around one village very long so that probably explains it.

edited August 2016
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Ah ok I usually don't stick around one village very long so that probably explains it.

Yeah it usually takes me 3-4 runs outside the village doing a couple quests at a time. Usually it's just 'Go kill this thing' or 'Get me some ore so I can build a kickass hat'. Although Hylotl ones often seem to be about cooking food, so if you go into one with a ton of crops on hand you might be able to just do them all there in their kitchen. (bonus, this is a good way to get rarer seeds)

MuddBudd on
    I've been searching for a Glitch village for ages but all I've come across is a single small castle that wasn't handing out quests at all

I wish there were Novakid villages but those still don't exist right?

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    I've been searching for a Glitch village for ages but all I've come across is a single small castle that wasn't handing out quests at all

According to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPSrlOpuZg4&feature=youtu.be&t=1m52s

they should be coming soon in a content update (timestamp, in case that breaks, is 1m52s)

76561197966849367.png
    HappylilElfcB557Dr. Chaos

If you want glitch crewmembers and can't find a village, you could always use a colony deed and some glitch furniture to get some glitch colonists, then do quests for them until they offer to join.

JtgVX0H.png
    HappylilElf
    Woot, Novakid stuff!

ElvenshaecB557Dr. ChaosGenji-Gloves
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I'm well and truly hooked, are there any Penny Arcade servers knocking about? I'd love to explore an actual populated universe.

Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Chaos
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    I'm well and truly hooked, are there any Penny Arcade servers knocking about? I'd love to explore an actual populated universe.

I attempted to set one up on my VPS, and it ate all the RAM in about 10 seconds :( If anyone has recommendations for a reliable host, I'll be happy to look into it for a PA server.

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
    Dr. Phibbs McAthey
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Version 1.1 is our first content patch since the full release of Starbound -- we've added a fishing game, item collections, Novakid villages and more! Check the changelog below for a list of major/minor changes and bug fixes, and then go relocate some Fluffalo!
    Major Changes
    Fishing
    Two tiers of fishing rods are now craftable from the Foraging Table and can be used to fish on ocean planets (including arctic, toxic and magma oceans)
    Added 48 unique fish types to catch
    Rare fish can give valuable rewards, including reel and lure upgrades to enhance your fishing rod
    Collections
    New Collections interface tracks various kinds of collectables including captured pets, figurines, fish, cooking recipes, fossils, and bugs
    Added the Relocator tool, which allows non-hostile creatures such as critters, fish, bugs, and farm animals to be moved
    Added friendly Novakid villages including a variety of new Novakid-themed furniture and objects
    Minor Changes & Bug Fixes
    Saloon furniture previously sold at Frogg Furnishings is now available in Novakid villages, and has been replaced with the Pastel set (which has its own unique tenant)
    Novakids can now be generic tenants or guards
    Added Novakid NPC dialogue
    Implemented party chat and local (planet) chat
    Acid rain now applies poison instead of direct damage
    Console objects are now available as themed tenant rewards
    Added option for “borderless window” style fullscreen mode
    Improved sound effects for Staff abilities
    Improved sound effects for several unique boss weapons
    Adjusted which bugs appear in Midnight, Mutated and Giant Flower biomes
    Shockhopper Mk I and Dreadwing now have a chance to drop their respective action figures
    Mother Poptops on starter worlds now drop enough Core Fragments to complete the initial gate quest
    Added chance for Snuffish to appear in ocean biomes
    Kelp now unlocks the Rice Cake cooking recipe when picked up
    Reduced moon threat level from 10 to 1
    Fixed a bug causing merchants to offer material items for free (which made them impossible to purchase)
    Fixed several armor descriptions that didn’t fit within their tooltips
    Fixed a bug causing fireworks to deal large amounts of damage
    Fixed birds and other monsters spawning in the atmosphere and asteroid layers of moons
    Made several NPC-like monsters uncapturable
    Fixed monsters getting stuck outside arena in final arena side quest
    Fixed friendly NPCs and monsters being damaged by environmental effects such as traps
    Fixed a few edge cases in pathfinding
    Fixed several items displaying erroneous recipe unlocks when obtained
    Fixed a bug causing underwater audio filters to continue after quitting to title
    Fixed several cases of incorrect cursors displaying over GUI elements
    Fixed a bug in LoS calculation determining whether the player can reach objects
    Fixed a bug causing Dreadwing’s UFO to visually flip
    Fixed a bug causing boats to oscillate at the surface of water
    Fixed a bug causing physics AoE effects to move projectiles
    Wire Mode overlay is now hidden on protected tiles
    Lots of typographical/grammatical text fixes

cB557ElvenshaeIanatorDr. ChaosXaquin
    And here I'd been thinking their fishing rod was oddly shotgun-like.

ElvenshaeNackmatholn
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Anybody know of a quick and easy PVP server? I want to get the achievement for killing someone. It's one of the few I have left.

Oooooh, Starbound 1.2 is coming! Click the link for a much more detailed breakdown of the changes and additions, but here's a small summary from the developers
    For 1.2, we wanted to focus on giving you more to do after you’ve finished all that saving the universe business. To that end, we’ve added endgame procedural dungeons and bosses, the ability to terraform planets, weapon upgrades, and elemental damage!

JtgVX0H.png
    IanatorcB557SkutSkut
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    So, I haven't played this since release and I'm interested with this new patch. But I have to know... does combat still kinda suck? Last I played the weapons seemed stupidly underpowered (ranged weapons especially), and it made combat for me really unfun.

I never thought the combat was bad so I don't know how to answer that question. From what I've been playing recently it doesn't seem much different than from release, other than that they've added elemental resistances and weaknesses to enemies now with the latest update. You can check their patch notes for the 1.1 and 1.2 updates and see if anything else has changed (I'm at work and can't view their site). And while it's not the optimal solution, you could also look into the modding community and see if anyone's made any balancing mods or combat overhauls or something.

JtgVX0H.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Combat is just a thing to do now, it's not bad or good.

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Rise Starbound thread. Rise from your grave!

1.3 was just released today on the [Unstable] branch. You will find it in your steam library alongside Starbound.

What does this update bring you may ask?
    • Navigation and flight overhaul. Planets, moons, ships, and more are visible along their orbital paths in the nav computer. Systems now contain friendly and hostile ships, anomalies, and NPC space stations!
    • Customizable mechs! Find blueprints, farm materials, and create the devastating mech of your dreams to crush your enemies with. I've just unlocked the base model and I'm already loving this part.
    • Modular player-owned space stations! Build your own orbital station and move it around the galaxy wherever you like!
    • Loads more minor stuff I'm too lazy to list along with myriad bug fixes.

I got Starbound as a gift and pretty much ignored it until the 1.0 launch last summer. Once I get into it I immediately fell in love much like Terraria. But I think my affinity for this game is far greater than that of Terraria. I've played one multiplayer but I'd really like to play this with some PA folk if there was some interest.

How long has it been since you've touched the stars?

DarmakArbitraryDescriptorElvenshaecB557Xaquin
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    It all looks very nice, once it hits stable I'll restart.

Shogun wrote: »
    Rise Starbound thread. Rise from your grave!

1.3 was just released today on the [Unstable] branch. You will find it in your steam library alongside Starbound.

What does this update bring you may ask?
    • Navigation and flight overhaul. Planets, moons, ships, and more are visible along their orbital paths in the nav computer. Systems now contain friendly and hostile ships, anomalies, and NPC space stations!
    • Customizable mechs! Find blueprints, farm materials, and create the devastating mech of your dreams to crush your enemies with. I've just unlocked the base model and I'm already loving this part.
    • Modular player-owned space stations! Build your own orbital station and move it around the galaxy wherever you like!
    • Loads more minor stuff I'm too lazy to list along with myriad bug fixes.

I got Starbound as a gift and pretty much ignored it until the 1.0 launch last summer. Once I get into it I immediately fell in love much like Terraria. But I think my affinity for this game is far greater than that of Terraria. I've played one multiplayer but I'd really like to play this with some PA folk if there was some interest.

How long has it been since you've touched the stars?

Awwwww yuss, I know what I'ma do when I get home from work in the morning!

JtgVX0H.png
    I've actually been putting a lot of time into Starbound recently. Albeit, extremely heavily modded with some 90 or so mods in effect. A lot of them are very simple effectively 1 line mods which strip out the annoying shit I feel really hamper the flow of the game for no real benefit such as reducing the scanning requirements for the story quests, lowering (but not removing) the hunger rate amongst other things.

The big fat content load though is the Frackin' Universe mod which adds a lot of stuff like new biomes and planets as well as adjusting the equipment curve and combat difficulty, but unfortunately it also adds a lot of crap that should stay in Minecraft such as bee keeping. I'm sorry, but I'm a space adventurer. I can teleport halfway across the known galaxy in seconds, vault over mountains while pegging aliens with a rocket launcher, morph into a sphere to travel through tiny spaces, 3D print anything I've seen using universal matter, but yet I'm breeding bees to crap out uranium?! What?!

If you do want to dive into Frackin' Universe, a few words of caution:
    1 - You're going to want a better storage solution, otherwise you'll need a huge storage array. You can use the Enhanced Storage mod, which allows you to expand storage containers at a cost and/or use the StarTech mod which effectively implements a sub-set of the Applied Energistics mod from Minecraft.

1b - If you decide to use StarTech, for the love of all that's holy, do not use the drive bays! I knows it sounds odd to avoid using the massive storage compaction of the storage drives, but there's a really annoying bug which wipes the content of random drives. Using storage busses onto actual containers (hence pairing with Enhanced Storage) avoids this. So you're basically using StarTech as a cataloguing and central/remote access system

2- The power system in a nutshell is stupid. Power is split evenly across all entities that are connected to a power source. Which means, if you are generating 8u and have 5 entities that use 2u when they are being used, they each get an allocation of 1.6u. ie: none of them work. Even if you're only trying to use one of them. Get used to overproducing like crazy, or employ a lot of manual division, battery segregation and individual wiring to balance the power split exactly.

cB557
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I've been watching people play FU and I like the look of it but it just looks so overwhelming in terms of the content and the changes made to crafting. I still may check it out once 1.3 hits stable.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I pretty much prefer everything in Starbound to Terraria except for the combat.

If they nail that in a sequel or future update, it'll pretty much become a perfect 10 for me. Might be some interesting mods I could look into though.

Looking forward to getting back into the game in the next few months. Really starting to miss Professor Banannas and his half built golden villain's lair on that toxic hellscape planet.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    SkutSkut
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I actually prefer the combat in Starbound to Terraria's. In Terraria combat is excruciating and awful until you get a weapon that can reliably hit from range.

Shogun
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I actually prefer the combat in Starbound to Terraria's. In Terraria combat is excruciating and awful until you get a weapon that can reliably hit from range.

I think I prefer Starbound's melee combat mechanics but strongly prefer Terraria's enemies and ability to manipulate terrain for boss fights plus the various spells and ranged options (like yo yos) Terraria eventually opens up. Though I find Starbound's 1 handed weapon animations a bit tough to get used to.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Just something about Starbound's combat that feels very rigid to me.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    urahonky
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Just something about Starbound's combat that feels very rigid to me.

A lot of the weapons have longer swing animations. The one handed weapons especially have a quick thrust followed by a longer recovery animation. An active blocking system used after a swing is what keeps it from getting boring for me but it does tend to be slower paced than Terraria's and the limited tactics enemies can employ doesn't help.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    I've been watching people play FU and I like the look of it but it just looks so overwhelming in terms of the content and the changes made to crafting. I still may check it out once 1.3 hits stable.

See, I tried FU out, and while I appreciate the sheer volume of content added (and it's a fuckin lot), some of it is just so bad. Like I get it, the creator isn't a professional at designing video game stuff and art assets and what have you, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of it just didn't seem to fit the game to me. I don't know, I'm picky about mods in games.

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »

See, I tried FU out, and while I appreciate the sheer volume of content added (and it's a fuckin lot), some of it is just so bad. Like I get it, the creator isn't a professional at designing video game stuff and art assets and what have you, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of it just didn't seem to fit the game to me. I don't know, I'm picky about mods in games.

when i first started watching vids about it there seemed to be a whole lot of nonsense stuff and stuff that was sort of copies of already existing crap within the game. I have no hands on experience with the mod but the mining laser for example makes no sense to me. It seems like an even worse version of the matter manipulator that eats up your manipulator modules. Why would you not just focus on upgrading your actual MM?

I love the idea of new star types, new biomes, and more crafting. I could eat shit like that up for days and weeks, but the amount of lab stations and some of their purposes seemed silly to me.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Last time I tried FU the lab stations were a bit overwhelming, yeah.

Also keep in mind that the beekeeping and booze elements are actually separate mods that are simply included as part of the package, explaining at least​ some of the disparity.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    The mining laser is actually rather good. It excels in blasting through 'softer' materials and it avoids having to upgrade the matter manipulator to both +100% speed and two upgrades in size from 2x2 to 4x4 and it's fairly cheap to get it to the point where it's good enough for most of your digging needs. As far as I'm aware of, aside from the initial creation, the FU mining laser doesn't require MM modules for upgrades.

Combined with craftable pickaxes (also another mod I'd recommend), you can avoid upgrading the digging capabilities of the matter manipulator for a really long time. On my current character, I grabbed the fluid gathering first, then unlocked the other two functions before I touched on the power, range and size upgrades. Instead, I dealt with having a small/slow MM until I got a few pickaxes from the piles of copper I couldn't really use otherwise, and then got the laser for general purpose digging pulling out the MM if I needed to dig out ores from the background layer or when I was stealing blocks/furnitures. I'm currently running around in Tier 4-5 worlds still using pickaxes and the upgraded several times mining laser without issues.