As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Restarted the server this morning, the server itself died(which happens maybe 1ce a month). I gotta kill the status site, and fix the script tonight. I think the status site is causing memory leaks in the server. At least people are reporting it can happen....

Edit: I added the home world info to the twitter if anyone needs it.
    If you want mods added, pm me the link(or message on steam), I can't guarantee they will be added, but if its just for compatibility then I don't see why not. I think it has to be updated to work with the new server though. I'm mostly looking into adding stuff freely that will add just cosmetic items (biomes/clothes/weapon skins) right now.

double edit: looking at the compatibility mod for the firefly ship, I don't see a reason not to add it. I'll dig around for other cosmetic compatibility ones as well tonight.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Kind of wish crafting things didn't cost pixels. I suck at getting them and when I do I die and lose them.

Steam: offday
  • VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Kind of wish crafting things didn't cost pixels. I suck at getting them and when I do I die and lose them.

You can make a refinery and pixel compressor in the Beta sector. The refinery takes raw ores and gives you pixels in return, so stuff like copper and extra iron can make you a nice chunk of change. The compressor turns chunks of pixels (1k/2k/5k/10k) into items that can be stored and then broken down later back into pixels.

That helps a bit with the income issues early on and the death tax.

VT09mOz.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Make a pixel converter, convert blocks to pixels. Turn that excess metal into cash!

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Is it possible to make it so that if you pick up an item, it goes into your backpack instead of your hotkey bar? I keep missing things that end up going up there.

steam_sig.png
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    So I discovered last night (after bailing out of an avian pirate ship) that performing an energy dash will "reset" your fall damage distance. It's also useful for NOPEing the hell out when trying to fight stuff that way outclasses you (why did I skip β sector thinking I could handle Γ sector just fine?).

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    Is it possible to make it so that if you pick up an item, it goes into your backpack instead of your hotkey bar? I keep missing things that end up going up there.

Besides filling up all slots? Not that I know of...

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

I'll deal with it then. :)

So when I get to the homeworld, is it clear what stuff I'm allowed to take and what stuff I'm not supposed to touch?
    Also, I'm going to be offline travelling for a while. Can I take this same character into an offline mode, and then rejoin multiplayer once I have internet again?

steam_sig.png
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    In case anyone's interested in running a free EC2 server:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwtlHnTbSNE

I know we have a PA server, but this is probably your best bet at a free one to share with your friends without the hassle of leaving a computer on or rebooting it. The guy explains things well enough, and links to a reddit tutorial, but there's some basic Linux/SSH stuff involved.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Am I able to store pixels in my chests? Or can you only do that with items?

• NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    Am I able to store pixels in my chests? Or can you only do that with items?

Chests can only store items unfortunately. The best workaround in my opinion is the Refinery that you unlock in the Beta Sector. It lets you turn ore or bars into pixels so you can convert them as needed when you are crafting. The Pixel Compressor comes with it's own tax, and it's about 40% I think.

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Also, I'm going to be offline travelling for a while. Can I take this same character into an offline mode, and then rejoin multiplayer once I have internet again?

Yes, yes you can.
    You keep your inventory and your ship, but I'm pretty sure offline you have your own pristine universe untouched by the ravages of the PA Locust Swarm.

edited January 2014
    mr_mich wrote: »
    *snip*
    I know we have a PA server, but this is probably your best bet at a free one to share with your friends without the hassle of leaving a computer on or rebooting it. The guy explains things well enough, and links to a reddit tutorial, but there's some basic Linux/SSH stuff involved.
    server hosting talk, vaguely related:
    Aren't these super limited/pay per bandwidth? If not I'd agree.

I use chicagoVPS for a VPS (virtual machine server), and you can get deals where it's like 40$ for a year, with 2 TB of data per month(we use a couple gigs each month). During launch of starbound we were hitting memory limits(2gb) on the machine for sure, but I could never pinpoint how many people on the server we had(I'd say over 2 dozen). They literally say if its legal, you can run it and they dont mind, so game servers/voip are on the table (a lot of services don't allow this). I ran/run a private vent server on there for a couple of friends occasionally too and it works great.

These things are not for mission critical tasks though, as they seem to break/go down for a bit monthly. last night my server hard crashed for instance, which is why we lost service till I rebooted this morning.

Downside is they are obviously overselling at that price. meaning they are overloading on users with the hope that they don't fill out their memory or processor usage, and there can be gaps of down time. They also have been hacked twice in the last two years. But I recommend it if you need private dedicated server usage and futzing around, and I really haven't met a hard cap on users besides that opening weekend for starbound.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Hope to finally start playing this tonight. Will be on the PA server.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    I haven't played since before the first wipe was coming. I am having a super time. I never defeated the first boss. Now I'm up to the 3rd sector. I found a hammer in sector 1 that carried me there. hits for 20 and shots electricity bolt that pierces multiple monsters for 5. I'm addicted to exploring now that I have the mechanics down for flying the ship and such.

Some Questions:
    How do you use/uncompress money to use?
    I haven't needed a yarn spinner yet? Am I missing something important?
    I hear there is a grappling hook, haven't seen the recipe yet.
    Setting home planet, not sure I see the point? just to flag a planet or do you get a benefit? (less fuel to fly there?)

The only reason I ask, is I'm trying to avoid the wiki.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
    I haven't needed a yarn spinner yet? Am I missing something important?
    FLAGS!

Equip and use it. With inventory open, click the money block, then click outside your inventory.
    Setting home planet, not sure I see the point? just to flag a planet or do you get a benefit? (less fuel to fly there?)

You can teleport home from wherever you are without any fuel expenditure.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    And sweet snow infantry gear for your visit to Hoth.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    *snip*
    server hosting talk, vaguely related:
    Aren't these super limited/pay per bandwidth? If not I'd agree.

I use chicagoVPS for a VPS (virtual machine server), and you can get deals where it's like 40$ for a year, with 2 TB of data per month(we use a couple gigs each month). During launch of starbound we were hitting memory limits(2gb) on the machine for sure, but I could never pinpoint how many people on the server we had(I'd say over 2 dozen). They literally say if its legal, you can run it and they dont mind, so game servers/voip are on the table (a lot of services don't allow this). I ran/run a private vent server on there for a couple of friends occasionally too and it works great.

These things are not for mission critical tasks though, as they seem to break/go down for a bit monthly. last night my server hard crashed for instance, which is why we lost service till I rebooted this morning.

Downside is they are obviously overselling at that price. meaning they are overloading on users with the hope that they don't fill out their memory or processor usage, and there can be gaps of down time. They also have been hacked twice in the last two years. But I recommend it if you need private dedicated server usage and futzing around, and I really haven't met a hard cap on users besides that opening weekend for starbound.

They're very low performance (512MB ram I think) and they're only "free" because Amazon gives you the basic tier for free for a year, after which they start charging. Still, its performance is sufficient for a small number of players (8 is supposedly the cap). Also, there will be some hiccups if you're mining a ton of sand or whatever.

Any way to turn mushrooms into seeds to grow more? Or mushroom blocks into mushrooms?

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular

Equip and use it. With inventory open, click the money block, then click outside your inventory.

Well, shitsnacks, that is great. I guess I'll get that food farm off my ship then!
    Thanks for the answers.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Restarted the server this morning, the server itself died(which happens maybe 1ce a month). I gotta kill the status site, and fix the script tonight. I think the status site is causing memory leaks in the server. At least people are reporting it can happen....

If you want mods added, pm me the link(or message on steam), I can't guarantee they will be added, but if its just for compatibility then I don't see why not. I think it has to be updated to work with the new server though. I'm mostly looking into adding stuff freely that will add just cosmetic items (biomes/clothes/weapon skins) right now.

double edit: looking at the compatibility mod for the firefly ship, I don't see a reason not to add it. I'll dig around for other cosmetic compatibility ones as well tonight.

Thanks a bunch!

I also noted that when I went to the server, and then went to SP because it was acting wonkey, my Big Box O' Loot (Firefly item crafting station) disappeared from my single player game, but I was able to use my mod weapons and equipment on planet on the multi server and nothing happened to them.

The box only costs 100 cobblestone, so nothing was lost.

I've also been hearing that if you use modded clothing or equipment on a server without the mod you use, your character becomes invisible to others. Is this true?

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

Well, shitsnacks, that is great. I guess I'll get that food farm off my ship then!
    Thanks for the answers.
    Keep in mind that unlike your ship, planetside farms only grow if someone is on the planet for it to be loaded into memory.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

FWIW, I also wish there was an able to change where the loot goes as you described.

edited January 2014
    My underground glitchy home is coming together nicely. Espicially now that I've "acquired" some things.
    8668280E1BDCFAF73CB0B79C6BC4F0DDED6D7DF1

In my defense, the house I came across was abandoned. This is SP by the way too incase you're wondering if an evil glitch is stealing your things.

I also found a wizard spawner, which I haven't placed in my home yet because I'm not quite sure if a wizard is something I want in my house. A chef, sure. But a wizard? I don't know. Dude isn't going to cast fireballs in my house and destroy it, is he?

anoffday on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    My underground glitchy home is coming together nicely. Espicially now that I've "acquired" some things.

In my defense, the house I came across was abandoned. This is SP by the way too incase you're wondering if an evil glitch is stealing your things.

I also found a wizard spawner, which I haven't placed in my home yet because I'm not quite sure if a wizard is something I want in my house. A chef, sure. But a wizard? I don't know. Dude isn't going to cast fireballs in my house and destroy it, is he?

I think he's the wizard that sells robes and a wizard hat and stuff.

JtgVX0H.png
    wonderpug wrote: »

FWIW, I also wish there was an able to change where the loot goes as you described.

If you're talking blocks instead of unstackable items, they try to fill up inventory slots with the same block type first. But loot items... I really don't know.

Darmak wrote: »

I think he's the wizard that sells robes and a wizard hat and stuff.

Ok, a wizard hat might look nice on my glitch.

Is there any way to make NPCs move to a new location? I might have accidentally killed my chef trying to persuade him to follow me.

NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Thanks for the answers.
    Keep in mind that unlike your ship, planetside farms only grow if someone is on the planet for it to be loaded into memory.

They integrated the mod into the patch that just came out that grows while away, I think. They said they did, but I haven't seen evidence of such.
    Kadoken wrote: »

Thanks a bunch!

I also noted that when I went to the server, and then went to SP because it was acting wonkey, my Big Box O' Loot (Firefly item crafting station) disappeared from my single player game, but I was able to use my mod weapons and equipment on planet on the multi server and nothing happened to them.

I've also been hearing that if you use modded clothing or equipment on a server without the mod you use, your character becomes invisible to others. Is this true?

It should, at least in the past that is what happened.

When you say disapeared from SP, did you have it on your ship? If you had it on a planet, its on the server's universe.

steam_sig.png
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So with the server down, I took my guy to SP to mine some coal and stuff.

I beam down next to a half ruined building filled with books and am immediately attacked by a guy with a sword. A sword that spews fireballs. He also had wings.

WTF

You beamed down into a camp.

Those wings can drop when you kill those guys, it's good times.

• BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Hey is the server down? I'm unable to connect to it

steam_sig.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Same here.
    Status page confirms that it's down.

cB557 on
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Yeah its been down for a while. Plus side, I now have all the coal I need. Fair amount of wood too. Can star making a base on my home planet on the server when its up. Soon, Ill be ready to summon the Penguin UFO

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Newbie here. On the lowest difficulty level, the only penalty for dying is a loss of pixels, right? Where does it tell you how many pixels you've lost from a death? I just had a sequence of hilarious deaths to acid rain and snowstorms as I learn the game, but I haven't noticed anything prominent telling me what I've been losing.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    30% Pixel loss, IIRC.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Thanks for the answers.

They integrated the mod into the patch that just came out that grows while away, I think. They said they did, but I haven't seen evidence of such.
    Kadoken wrote: »

Thanks a bunch!

It should, at least in the past that is what happened.

When you say disapeared from SP, did you have it on your ship? If you had it on a planet, its on the server's universe.

On the ship it disappeared.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    cB557 wrote: »
    30% Pixel loss, IIRC.

Yeah your pixel count just goes down. The game doesnt do a good job of telling you stuff. But it is a beta. I had a friend who is an experienced gamer, and like me, he strip mined a planet before taking down the first boss like I did. When I told he he could have gone to anyone one of the planets on the first sector he was not all that amused. But it is good to strip mine at least one planet to experience what the game is like deep in the planets....

right? :)

Jubal77 on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Newbie here. On the lowest difficulty level, the only penalty for dying is a loss of pixels, right? Where does it tell you how many pixels you've lost from a death? I just had a sequence of hilarious deaths to acid rain and snowstorms as I learn the game, but I haven't noticed anything prominent telling me what I've been losing.

I used to be really uptight about losing SO MANY pixels to death. Then I discovered the refinery and realized I could turn all my leftover ore into cash. It's like J.G. Wentworth was programmed into the game.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Are you taking suggestions for mods that can go on the server, Dian?

I got a fallout one I've been fond of using in single player. <3

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile