As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Things that aren't terribly neat: They've changed around how mods work, but none of the stickied threads in their modding section have up-to-date information in their ops. I just want to mod my wheat so that it gives me wheat 100% of the time when I harvest it.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Thoughts on the patch:

Ore seems a bit more balanced now. two trips across planets while exploring, and one trip underground to mine have provided me enough ore to build the First Tier of racial armor, as well as pick upgrades and such.

Managed to find a fire scimitar that seems very powerful. The burning effect is really strong. Also got a gun drop (the earliest I've ever seen one) of a remarkably effective Avian machine pistol. Think I'm ready for the UFO now.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So

Mining in underground sand caves? SO PROFITABLE! Wow!

Anyway, I have my iron armor, my silver pick. Need some better weapons then the server to go back up and it'll be time to face the UFO and build my house

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I can't remember who posted the link to the music files for playing music. Can whomever repost it? I lost my link and found a Keytar.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I seem to be getting useful stuff from random chests too, not just crappy weapons.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I just want to mod my wheat so that it gives me wheat 100% of the time when I harvest it.

I saw a mod last night that fixes wheat and also adjusts crop growing times. I don't remember the full name but you should be abke to find it using SemBalance. I currently have the HalfSembalance version on my server.

Also, there's the Persistent Farmables mod which keeps crops growing when you're not around.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Elin wrote: »
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Newbie here. On the lowest difficulty level, the only penalty for dying is a loss of pixels, right? Where does it tell you how many pixels you've lost from a death? I just had a sequence of hilarious deaths to acid rain and snowstorms as I learn the game, but I haven't noticed anything prominent telling me what I've been losing.

I used to be really uptight about losing SO MANY pixels to death. Then I discovered the refinery and realized I could turn all my leftover ore into cash. It's like J.G. Wentworth was programmed into the game.

I think I'll have to get further into the game before this bothers me. Losing 30% of Not Much is not much at all, but a percentage-based loss sounds really really harsh once you've progressed further into the game.

I take it there's nothing like a corpse run you can do to get some of the 30% back?

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I took out the UFO with a regular bow, and I didn't even die. I also didn't know what the distress signal did, so I was completely unprepared.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    "Roll to see whether you get wheat."

*rolls a 1*

"Damn!"

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • KK SweetKK Sweet Registered User new member
    Newbie here. On the lowest difficulty level, the only penalty for dying is a loss of pixels, right? Where does it tell you how many pixels you've lost from a death? I just had a sequence of hilarious deaths to acid rain and snowstorms as I learn the game, but I haven't noticed anything prominent telling me what I've been losing.

I used to be really uptight about losing SO MANY pixels to death. Then I discovered the refinery and realized I could turn all my leftover ore into cash. It's like J.G. Wentworth was programmed into the game.

I think I'll have to get further into the game before this bothers me. Losing 30% of Not Much is not much at all, but a percentage-based loss sounds really really harsh once you've progressed further into the game.

I take it there's nothing like a corpse run you can do to get some of the 30% back?

It isn't a problem at all late game. I get so much ore that I can bust out 20k pixels at anytime I please. Also you can use a pixel compressor to basically bank your cash so pixel loss is a very minor punishment.

Im so DEEP right now. I decided to jsut keep mining down. Im in a slime and poison layer right now. Survival questionable.

• JeixJeix Registered User regular
    I think once the server is back up I might make a warehouse building in the main base with things like a refinery, wiring station, and pixel compressor for anyone to use.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I can get back into this right away. Losing my titanium armored apex broke my heart

• s1ppycups1ppycup Registered User regular
    Quick PSA about the "portable pixel printer". If you're like me, you may have thought that this was simply a portable 3D printer. It's not!

It's an item that you consume to expand the recipes you can make without a crafting table (i.e., simply by pressing "c"). Some of the recipes are extremely useful. For one, you can finally make metal platforms. On top of that, you can also make "nano-wrap bandages", which are better than normal bandages. There's an assortment of metal blocks/bricks, a "nano-burner" stove/light combo, and more. Super easy to make, and well worth it. As the name implies, many of the things you can craft only take pixels.

GTA V (PSN): chingrimach
    LoL: s1ppycup
    BF3 + 4: Hardon_Edgewise (PC)
    MH3U: s1ppycup (WiiU)
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Hm, can't connect to the server, it says it's on an older build?

56xSnBO.jpg

Stabbity_Style.png
    Im getting that error as well. Hunh

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So if all these mods are added to the server, does that mean I'd have to download them too to play on it? I'm not too psyched about modding a game that is still in beta and hasn't even been out for 2 months.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    s1ppycup wrote: »
    Quick PSA about the "portable pixel printer". If you're like me, you may have thought that this was simply a portable 3D printer. It's not!

It's an item that you consume to expand the recipes you can make without a crafting table (i.e., simply by pressing "c"). Some of the recipes are extremely useful. For one, you can finally make metal platforms. On top of that, you can also make "nano-wrap bandages", which are better than normal bandages. There's an assortment of metal blocks/bricks, a "nano-burner" stove/light combo, and more. Super easy to make, and well worth it. As the name implies, many of the things you can craft only take pixels.

Good PSA, thanks! I thought the same.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Got my mod working, delicious reliable wheat farming.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    anoffday wrote: »
    So if all these mods are added to the server, does that mean I'd have to download them too to play on it? I'm not too psyched about modding a game that is still in beta and hasn't even been out for 2 months.

If thats why I cant join the server, them I just.. wont.

Because, yeah, modding a game in beta makes me uncomfortable.

But first the server needs \to be UP

• BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Wait I am dumb, I did not know you could take your single player stuff into the server. That is interesting and cool

steam_sig.png
    Wait some of you can actually CONNECT?

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Is there a more reliable way to get leather? Right now I'm just using a bow and/or hunting knife, and like 9/10ths of the time I get meat

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    I am taking this time to sort out all my hoarding in a single players session. Turns out I have 23 varieties of seeds, I should start a farm. I also uploaded every furniture thing I have found to my 3d printer, that took a lot of pixels.

Praise server jesus! The server is up.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    BigDes wrote: »
    Wait I am dumb, I did not know you could take your single player stuff into the server. That is interesting and cool

Yeah, I love that you can do this AND vice versa which is extra cool cool.

• ElinElin Registered User regular

No, you don't have to use the mods. But people who want to, can. And we can see their mods. At least that's how I understand it.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I'm literally adding Race mods (that dont add unbalanced crazy items), and the firefly compatibility mod right now.

I'd add the toolbox/vault mod, but they are basically just "heres cosmetic items... oh yeah have super weapons right away too" and I am avoiding the second part. Maybe we modify to only let the cosmetic items get made?

Also I realize this means we need a mod/race list for those who want to try other stuff. I'll get a list together shortly for the op/website so everyone knows what they have access to grab.

I can't scout this thread all the time for mod requests, so please steam message me, or PM me if you want something. :D

steam_sig.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Are there any mods with railguns?

• BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Huh, found a glitch castle which was hilarious

Also found a massive USMC base on my starter planet, went for an explore and a colonial marine m41a pulse rifled my face off

steam_sig.png
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular

No, you don't have to use the mods. But people who want to, can. And we can see their mods. At least that's how I understand it.

Correct. There are also some mods that players can benefit from without downloading the mod themselves. Thise are mainly mechanic changing mods like SemBalance (changes crop times) and Hunt 4 Meats (which causes hunted critters to drop bacon and ribs as well as leather and meat). If you don't have a mod and someone creates an item from that mod it's supposed to appear invisible to you.

edited January 2014
    Ok, so mods by and large just aren't working, there was some sort of hotfix that happened today(I think? I had to update the server at least), and it broke a ton of shit. The firefly mod will crash the server if installed, along with some of the Race mods :P

I'm disabling all of them until I can test them during non peak time. :P

There's also no actual word if the PAK system made it in, which would ensure compatibility between players when you connect(requiring some downloads for stuff). their notes from a few weeks ago said it would be in, but the notes now dont mention it, and of course, 0 documentation beta :lol:

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    There was a hotfix today, yes. I just started Steam and it updated. I was playing last night.

steam_sig.png
    I'm pretty sure the .pak system is in, it's just a matter of making sure your .modinfo points to the .pak instead of just a directory.

Did the server just get a population cap? Or is this my first time running into it. Probably needed either way. Also I have decided that skyrails are the greatest thing ever.

• JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Had a chance to try this for about 30minutes tonight. Pretty enjoyable.

Now I just need to get a little base going.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Started building my own bunker for fun some ways east of the base.
    4AgMVSZ.jpg

Should be fun to walk around and see what everyone has littered the planet with a few months from now...well, the planets will probably get wiped sooner than that but I can dream.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Defense turrets as far as the eye can see.

Also got motion sensing doors, doors that require you to active a switch to open, alarm system, and hopefully soon a crazy death trap maze.

Wiring be cray cray yo.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    The server seems to be down again. I needed a break anyhow.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    edited January 2014
    I'm going to take it down for a bit, so I can get the automation working without having to run the script through ssh, I believe thats the issue that is happening nightly.

There shouldn't be a cap at all. I think they introduced more memory leaks and its causing issues with the server.

Edit: OK! Server is running. If the VPS is running, the server should be running like normal again. Looks like the provider had hardware issues.

I'm going to force reboot the server in the morning to enable some config changes. somehow a 8 person cap got set.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png