As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I found a puppy!

I wish I could take it with me.

uxew.jpg

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    God those poor villages...

I logged in just now and forgot that I had apparently gone on a drunken Starbound romp last night before bed. Good news is that I collected as much as I could find to expand/decorate the home base. Bad news is... I apparently pillaged all of the villages, everywhere.

Prospicience on
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Ahh man. I just found a Apex Apratment complex too...

I was considering slaughtering them all for loot

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

I logged in just now and forgot that I had apparently gone on a drunken Starbound romp last night before bed. Good news is that I collected as much as I could find to expand/decorate the home base. Bad news is... I apparently pillaged all of the villages, everywhere.
    Well, at the very least I hope you gave them the common courtesy of eating their remains.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Well, at the very least I hope you gave them the common courtesy of eating their remains.

I guess "pillaging" was being a bit harsh, even in single player and while drinking my version of pillaging consists of taking not everything, but enough to get by and enough to not make the villages look barren.

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    I hope at some point you get weather controlling tech added to the game. SUMMON METEOR SHOWER!

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So this ice planet I'm on, during the day my temperature drops pretty fast, but when the sun sets, my temperature goes back up

I think they got something mixed up there

Also I found a shark hat

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    I am remodeling the home farm. It'll be non-productive for about an hour after I get back in the server

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • KK SweetKK Sweet Registered User new member
    Started building my own bunker for fun some ways east of the base.
    4AgMVSZ.jpg

Should be fun to walk around and see what everyone has littered the planet with a few months from now...well, the planets will probably get wiped sooner than that but I can dream.

I'm glad someone other than me has finally decided to make their own home on the world haha.

Also I'm still getting the "Server is full because there is an 8 player cap thing".

• NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    Evening folks! I'm going to have a little contest here that will be run a bit differently then normal. I'm going to be giving away a copy of Starbound to someone in this thread who already has Starbound.

"Why the hell would you do that?", you might ask.

Because I'm a bit crazy, I would respond.

Also I can almost guarantee that some of us that already own this wonderful game know someone who has yet to be graced by this joy. So here is the plan. Send me a PM to enter, and I will use a random number generator to pick the winner this Sunday, then you can gift your winnings to someone in need! Cutoff for entry will be Noon Pacific time on Sunday, and the drawing will be sometime in the afternoon to early evening.

"But what if I don't own Starbound as of yet?", you may reply.

Well I have plans for you too.

Evil Plans.

signature.png

This is open to the larger Penny Arcade steam group.

Yes that means I have 2 copies of Starbound up for grabs by this Sunday!

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Yeah, somehow the config file got set to 8 people. I removed it, it should be effective on next crash, or in the morning when I force reboot it.

steam_sig.png
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Alright, if anybody has any spare sand (you've likely picked up tons of it by accident if you've spent any time on a desert planet), please leave it in the chest next to the drop point on the hub world. I'm using it to smelt glass and finish off the treedome, but its looking like its going to take a ridiculous amount of glass to actually do so.

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    This looks like an awesome mod. I haven't tried it yet, but wow it's fairly well done. You get different crew members out of 7 once you reach different tiers. Your own dog. And a bounty system? I'm gonna try this out.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/your-starbound-crew.948/

edited January 2014
    Server won't let me on, no specific error other than "error connecting". Happened after I lost my internet connection... in the middle of fighting the dragon. Gaaaaah!

*edit* Seems fine now, but I think in future I'll fight all the bosses offline.

Mr Ray on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The farm is 98% done. All I ask is that if you harvest something please replant it in the same place you took it from. I have everything planted roughly by grow time. The chests in the farm have harvested fruit, veg, grains, and seeds. The green chest by the cook top has completed food.

In a slightly related note there is now a huge empty cavern off the the right of the farm if anyone wants to use the space for something.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Could I trouble someone for an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam Group? I have a friend who could benefit from a copy of Starbound.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964109679/

So last night I finally discovered how much I'm going to need to mine. It's INSANE. I need to build a transmitter, and I was going to make a proper suit of armour too. In general, do ores get more common as you go deeper? Where do you normally search for ore, in caves?

I plan on making a hunting knife so that I can carry a weapon and a flashlight at the same time, for cave exploration. I currently only have 2 handed weapons...

f3rret on
    steam_sig.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'd appreciate an invite to that group as well, please.
    steamcommunity.com/id/cB557

• VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    Could I trouble someone for an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam Group? I have a friend who could benefit from a copy of Starbound.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964109679/

Sent.

VT09mOz.png
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Thanks, Vedic!

How do I join the giveaway now? I'm at the page where it shows 0 entries, and there's a green button that says "Exists in your Account".

Durrrr I'm supposed to send a PM, nevermind. I fail at reading.

f3rret on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2014
    Well then. That's probably the longest I've played a video game in one sitting for quite some time. I made it to Delta sector, and Project Treedome is complete, meaning the entirety of the main base including the tree farm is now domed and protected from the acid rain. It took several hours, but dammit, a sci-fi base in a hostile environment has to have a huge glass dome around it!

Mr Ray on
    The Ray is short for raven.

steam_sig.png
  • wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Project Treedome is complete!

Well done! I'm the sand delivery man.

I started work on a walkway around the planet, heading west. What is done so far could use a glass backing and/or doors if anybody is so inclined....

wilting on
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I downloaded a ship customization mod.. and proceeded to spend far too long trying to make an asteroid ship..
    Upon completion I realized I did not like how it turned out at all.
    Back to the drawing board!

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I can't remember who posted the link to the music files for playing music. Can whomever repost it? I lost my link and found a Keytar.

https://db.tt/hBvKpS30

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    I downloaded a ship customization mod.. and proceeded to spend far too long trying to make an asteroid ship..

As someone who went deep, deep down that rabbit hole, I salute you and look forward to seeing your results!

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited January 2014
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    SutibunRi wrote: »

As someone who went deep, deep down that rabbit hole, I salute you and look forward to seeing your results!

I think I'll keep it small, go off the image I posted in the last thread of an asteroid I hollowed out, and then add other asteroids connected by chains and/or the structural supports from USMC prisons to turn it into a mobile asteroid cluster, that way I can simply add new rooms as I find a need for them.

Edit: Picture I mentioned.
    1C4CDE799D59612F27BB0C5F4912934497C0FC94[/spoiler

SutibunRi on
    Not so much a ship or meteor as an especially large turd.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    soooo how much content is missing?

As it stands I'm in the gamma sector and the game has thus far been farm new ores, make new items, beat boss, new sector, repeat.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited January 2014
    Eh, do some exploring.
    Travel to exiting new lands! Meet exciting new people! Kill exciting new people!

cB557 on
    cB557 wrote: »
    Not so much a ship or meteor as an especially large turd.

Time to go hunting through sewers on planets for poo blocks!

evilthecat wrote: »

As it stands I'm in the gamma sector and the game has thus far been farm new ores, make new items, beat boss, new sector, repeat.

A "real" quest system and storyline(more than [build x, get to next sector]), sidequests, other factions, faction behavior, it'd be easier for you to just look at their roadmap of what they want to put in. I'd link but their site doesnt work while I am at work.

In short, the game isn't remotely balanced for how you are expected to have to play the game by the time its done. Exploration is going to be a huge element to start with, in order to do the above things. Ore is super plentiful right now, and they are pushing people up the content ladder quicker for testing purposes.

steam_sig.png

Well, a big part of these games is getting to be creative.

Building, thats pretty much the long game.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

yes i realise that but it still feels very choked at the moment.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited January 2014
    evilthecat wrote: »

yes i realise that but it still feels very choked at the moment.
    Random events, villages and dungeons are a nice start but questing should eventually help with that, I would think.

Being able to find side activities like that outside of the usual crafting and building should help add abit more meat to the game for the more adventuring/explorer type of player. Especially after modders get ahold of it.

Dr. Chaos on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    Does anyone have and tips on finding Floran settlements and forts? I have yet to see any despite hours spent running across jungle and forest planets, though I realize this is not a huge amount of time in the scope of the game. Have I just been unlucky?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Vic wrote: »
    Does anyone have and tips on finding Floran settlements and forts? I have yet to see any despite hours spent running across jungle and forest planets, though I realize this is not a huge amount of time in the scope of the game. Have I just been unlucky?

Stand around and try to look delicious.

They'll come find you.
    First planet I loaded in this game, pre-most-recent-patch, had a pair of Florans living in a hut near my beamdown point. So I'm guessing unlucky?

Elvenshae on
    Ok, so I got the word from some mod makers. Mods will only work, if all parties have the mod installed. There's no resource sharing (even with like the firefly compatibility mod), so unless people have the firefly mod, it's going to crash when someone goes to your ship.

So, that means no mods for now. I'd rather that, then enforce a list of files for all players to go grab. Sorry folks.

steam_sig.png
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    So, let's talk some mods. I'm probably crazy for trying this at work on my phone, but it's slow. Spoilered for size.
    First, the industrialization mod.
    Industrialization

So, what does this mod do? It adds complex machinery into starbound. Things start out simple, upgrading your furnace to an iron furnace, and learning how to make simple copper wiring and gears. Over time, you start getting to new machines. Macerators that grind your ores into dust, which increase their output when smelted, and even more complex machines.

What's the point? Well, it adds things to do, for starters. In vanilla, you craft a few things, some armour, and then you move on. This adds a "grind", but your output and ease of acquisition greatly increase afterwards. For example, I recently built a carbon pickaxe. It mines much faster than a diamond pickaxe, and mines 5x5, as opposed to the 3x3 of the normal pickaxe.

Furthermore, those ores I mine are effectively doubled by my machines. I also have things like a blast furnace, which lets me both create steel from iron without coal, and lets me create coke coal, which gives a greater fuel output.

All of these things took time and effort to create, but vastly simplify life afterwards. I'd highly recommend it if you like the idea of putting in effort to become more efficient, or you want to add playtime once you have played a lot of the game.

Second, variety is the spice of the universe.
    Variety is the spice of the universe

This mod adds biomes. Many biomes. Crystal mountains, tar jungles, forever dark worlds, and so many more. I'd suggest looking at the pictures for the mod to decide if this is interesting to you or not. It also works great with the next mod...

Third, we have starscape.
    Starscape

Where Variety adds biome variety, Starscape adds solar system variety. Larger than vanilla planets exist, as do smaller ones. Binary stars, tertiary stars both exist. Planet generation depends on the system. For example, a system might have warmer planets closer to it, with snow and ice planets on the outskirts. Stars also change this, with hotter stars having a larger radius for warm biomes, and vica versa.

An important note for these mods. They all effect universe generation. New ores for industrialization, and actual world and universe changes for the latter two. If you want to use these, you need to delete your current universe folder. Industrialization can be used without a delete, but only unvisited planets will have the new ores, and you still will need to delete your playerquests.db from the universe folder.

Is it worth it? Personally, I don't think I could revert to vanilla now that I've used these. But if you're interested, check out the links. These are the mods I use currently.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I can't remember who posted the link to the music files for playing music. Can whomever repost it? I lost my link and found a Keytar.

https://db.tt/hBvKpS30

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW. I am super excited to follow around my friends as they murder some settlements and play the space version of gangsters paradise.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
    edited January 2014
    Wait... so that's what instruments can be used for? This just made things VERY interesting.

Prospicience on