Options

[Tales of] Your Mom - Best Dog Is Back

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea I know when people see the XP boosts they always jump to the assumption that the leveling is going to be messed up. But it really isn't. It feels very good and spending time exploring never puts me crazy ahead which is nice too.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    *switches off Alphen to micromanage casting for a second.*

Alphen: ... I'm free!

*runs in a straight line into a giant mouth laser beam and dies.*
    @tastydonuts I made this:
    a6ty6e0bl4y7.jpg

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    If I had more time I would have made use of the alpha channel and done more with it. :lol:

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    lol, it's fine... Kisara is now on my list.

she has an aoe heal.

it costs 8 CP and ticks several times.

it is enabled.

she has never used it on her own.

u_n

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Finished all the post-game content. Now to get just 4 more levels and then replay up to the 4th major boss because that trophy didn't unlock ;;

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    lol, it's fine... Kisara is now on my list.

she has an aoe heal.

it costs 8 CP and ticks several times.

it is enabled.

she has never used it on her own.

u_n

Check the AI settings.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    All this Arise talk has gotten me to start Berseria. Better late than never! Hoping this one let's me spam fireball like Vesperia did, been missing that from the series. I don't have high hopes, but something will fill the void I am sure.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Berseria is actually really good from my first 5-6ish hours in it. The protagonist being so, well, angry is a different change of tone/pace for your typical tales game. I'm having a good time with it and I'm glad I am playing through it before Arise.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Berseria is actually really good from my first 5-6ish hours in it. The protagonist being so, well, angry is a different change of tone/pace for your typical tales game. I'm having a good time with it and I'm glad I am playing through it before Arise.

Velvets VA knocked it out of the park with them angry screams.

I’m going to go back to Berseria after Arise. I like the Arise cast alright but nothing can compare to Berseria’s crew of nutcases.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Yeah I love all the characters so far. They all have fantastic qualities and Magilou is just so delightfully nutty that I won't even be mad when she probably tries to kill me at some point. It is truly refreshing to play as a primary female character and a protagonist who just gives this little fucks about everything. Oh let's burn down most of a town! We have to destroy some stuff but what is it, oh wait I don't care we'll do it anyway. The combat is also really really good. Like top tier and if Arise is an improvement on this I'm going to be a very happy man. Abandoning SP in favor of this give and take soul system is really solid, which creates interesting gameplay dynamics and just feels so much better than attrition based battles running you down to create challenge. It means you can run around just fighting whatever you want and how long you can go is solely based on player skill, which is something I really approve of.

It's weird that it seems to "unlock" what I consider core gameplay features by having story progression or similar. I was very confused for a while why attacking enemies from behind (or running into them rather) didn't initiate ambushes, but it unlocked that at some point - as well as the ability for multiple monster groups to team up together. It wasn't a major bother and I'm oddly invested in the story of this game so far, where I am hoping it continues to retain the theme of playing a bunch of unstable people doing anything they feel they need to in order to achieve victory.

My sole complaint is the environment design looks like PS3 era, with most places being long linear corridors with basically nothing much going on at all in them. It's nice that battles happen in world exactly where you encounter enemies though, but it's a bit off putting that they would design areas with these massive empty rooms. I am happy to be whisked away to an artificial environment if it means that the actual levels can have some interesting design/look like they are actively lived in. But that's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things honestly, because the game is still very fun and plays extremely well.

Aggressively bad achievements as always though. I doubt I will try to platinum this game.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Berseria looks dated because it's actually using a modified version of the engine used for all the previous PS3 games.

Environments in Tales really took a hit in terms of charm and personality when it moved away from static camera angles and into fully 3d environments. Arise is the one that finally breaks that streak.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Yeah and that's largely why I decided to play Berseria before Arise.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Berseria holds my personal award of the only JRPG where I liked every single one of the playable characters. Nobody was annoying, got on my nerves, or was even bland. Everyone had their own individual stories and reasons for being part of the merry band of dirtbags punking the church and even when the scope expanded they formed genuine bonds with each other despite still being total assholes.

• Options
    What really helps for me is the focus on just six main characters. So everyone gets plenty of time to do stuff in the story and the combat system rewards cycling characters strongly.

Also: Coo, coo.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Arises’ combat is absolutely an improvement. I think it’s the best the series has had.

I’m going back to Berseria for the characters and story but I am going to be seriously missing the new combat from Arise and those sweet sweet Boost attack combos with two characters.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Aggressively bad achievements as always though. I doubt I will try to platinum this game.

I can speak to this--Berseria took something like 180 hours for me to plat. In particular, grinding out all the titles through truly endless combat sticks in my mind as the worst part of the trip. By contrast already have the Arise plat, though I had to replay the game (NG+ so just stomped everything) to a late boss and then kill them 4 additional times for the trophy to actually pop.

I'm torn on which cast I like better. Which is a good problem to have I suppose, that both of the most recent Tales games are super good.

• Options
    Yeah I am not even going to attempt to Platinum Berseria. I have way too much to play, including Dragon Quest XI after this.

I'm on a JRPG bender right now.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    After many moons of Tales, I am now 3 games behind. I don't know if I have enough time left, literally, to catch up.

Arise sounds good, though! I tried Berseria on my PS4, but I just couldn't connect.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Ah shit I was practicing some stuff in the training grounds and I put the everything deals 1 damage artifact on.

Then walked out and picked a fight with a miniboss before I turned it off.

Is there any way to progress other than quitting and reloading or just leaving the game idling while my AI teammates hit the enemy 80000 times?

No way to turn off artifacts in battle?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Can you flee from battle?

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Yes but it’s almost always easier to just fight. To run, head towards the edge of the battlefield and run into the line. A bar will build up and if you do it long enough, you will be able to flee the battle.

• Options
    Sorry, I was suggesting Sir Fabulous try it to solve his problem if that method was an option.

In Beseria news I just got Elanor and hooray, fireball spam is back kinda!

• Options
    Got to the big plot revelations in Arise and what looks like it's probably the actual for-real final dungeon now.

Sidequest time!

• Options
    Jesus I want to slap Velvet so hard right now.
    This is so obviously some kind of construct or trap for you. We killed these people Velvet.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular

You can't flee from boss battles.

It would have probably been best to just quit out but instead I left my game running for like 12 hours.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options

It would have probably been best to just quit out but instead I left my game running for like 12 hours.

NEVER GIVE UP

NEVER SURRENDER

That's the spirit!!!

Also in Tales of Berseria, I was extremely pleased to see that Velvet does eventually
    get slapped to her senses. That was admittingly a very rough little period for her, but man she should have seen through what they were trying to do as it was a very obvious set up.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

NEVER GIVE UP

NEVER SURRENDER

That's the spirit!!!

Also in Tales of Berseria, I was extremely pleased to see that Velvet does eventually
    get slapped to her senses. That was admittingly a very rough little period for her, but man she should have seen through what they were trying to do as it was a very obvious set up.

Well...
    Velvet knows it can't be true, and so does everyone else. But she really really really wants to believe it. As far as I recall everyone just humors her while waiting for the the trap to spring.

At least that's what I got out of that part of the game.

• Options
    It is at first, but there is clearly a point where she is very invested in it and believes it might be a real thing. Hence why she threatens Eizen and Rokarou.

Either way, I think I'm near the end of the game and got one dungeon to go before finishing. I am probably going to do a bunch of the side content stuff before I finish, because I am quite invested in these characters and like them a bunch. Probably one of the better JRPG casts I've seen in a long time.

• Options
    Whew. All fishing done in Arise, which was also where the last title was, so I've got all of those unlocked now.

Beat the game tonight as well. Just have the postgame quests left I think?

• Options
    edited September 2021
    That optional boss Normin.

What an asshole. I think I had to chew through over 200k HP.

Edit: Berseria finished. I think I will do something else instead of the ex dungeon. A lot of the achievement stuff seems way too grindy to bother with. Really enjoyed it though and it’s a truly great Tales of game. Sets me up nicely to play Arise.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Beseria keeps disabling the teleport back to X when it tells you go back to X. Just put the cutscenes IN X instead of on the way, game!

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Beseria keeps disabling the teleport back to X when it tells you go back to X. Just put the cutscenes IN X instead of on the way, game!

I would say that Berseria having like half a dozen different fast travel systems, each with their own arcane rules for when and where you're allowed to use them is a baffling game decision, but it's clearly there because at some point, some poor playtester convinced them that backtracking through the same area fifteen times was probably not great, and this was the kludgiest solution they could figure out.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    And now there's a hover board! I was just thinking I needed a horse for this place, so in that sense good job. Should have had this sooner.

• Options
    The hoverboard feels really anemic. If it does make you feel better, eventually the game will give you permanent inoph bottles and just stops caring about where you can/can't go. There are a bunch of places where you need to do some obscure sidequest stuff - among other things - to get the game to do what you want and let you go there. Overall, I really liked Berseria and I'm fully ready to go and play Arise on my PS5 :D

I think what held Berseria together for me, despite giving me such heavy PS3/Xbone vibes in terms of graphics, dungeon design being so basic etc was the really compelling cast. I've not played a Tales Game where I immediately went and thought "I hope there is more of these people". Unfortunately, I discovered that Zesteria is actually the game before Berseria and is a sequel to that, but doesn't seem to answer a lot of my questions about what happens after Berseria from an initial look over (if someone can help here, I would appreciate it, as I do not intend to play Zesteria). It was hilarious watching gameplay footage of Zesteria and seeing the Armatus being used willingly by the characters! Guess they did perfect that after all.

• Options
    Other way around where Berseria helped to make Zestiria retroactively better by answering questions. Otherwise the only solid, planned interaction between them is in the anime for a relatively brief scene.

Having played Zestiria first though, there was a moment in Berseria that was clearly intended to provide a treat to us when a particular song began to play and we met a familiar face.
    Because Zaveid is one of the playable characters in Zestiria.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    The hoverboard feels really anemic. If it does make you feel better, eventually the game will give you permanent inoph bottles and just stops caring about where you can/can't go. There are a bunch of places where you need to do some obscure sidequest stuff - among other things - to get the game to do what you want and let you go there. Overall, I really liked Berseria and I'm fully ready to go and play Arise on my PS5 :D

I think what held Berseria together for me, despite giving me such heavy PS3/Xbone vibes in terms of graphics, dungeon design being so basic etc was the really compelling cast. I've not played a Tales Game where I immediately went and thought "I hope there is more of these people". Unfortunately, I discovered that Zesteria is actually the game before Berseria and is a sequel to that, but doesn't seem to answer a lot of my questions about what happens after Berseria from an initial look over (if someone can help here, I would appreciate it, as I do not intend to play Zesteria). It was hilarious watching gameplay footage of Zesteria and seeing the Armatus being used willingly by the characters! Guess they did perfect that after all.

Zestiria rough plot WRT Berseria: (Serious spoilers for both games)
    Short version, Velvet's worldwide rampage is remembered, at best, as her being the first Demon King - it's well into legend at this point, and people are more or less completely ignorant of hellions, etc. The Malakhim (Seraphim by this time) have basically all retreated from the world, but people pray to them etc. Laphicet/Maotelus has continued to maintain the world, but by this time malevolence has built up a lot, so the ultimate goal of Sorey's journey is basically to deal with that before it consumes him. You do see Sorey able to restore people who have been consumed by malevolence via Lailah's flames (she's contracted to Maotelus to be able to borrow his purification ability). The end result is that Sorey basically ends up sealing himself away with Maotelus in meditation to work on dispersing the accumulated malevolence and purify the world (since Maotelus's vessel is the world itself)

Because Zestiria came out first there's not really a lot more than that. Velvet and Laphicet (original/Innominat)'s fate is unchanged - they're still sealed away in orbit basically.

Ah right, Edna is one of the party members in this Zestiria (Eizen's younger sister). Unfortunately, by this time Eizen has fully succumbed and turned into a dragon (which is an optional superboss)

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Thanks! That helps put some things into context. I did think about playing it, but after going hard on Persona 5 and then Tales of Berseria, I have JRPGed myself out for a moment.

• Options
    I'm really liking Velvet as the protagonist in Beseria. She's dialed it down a little from the start, which makes sense, but her no nonsense, fuck these guys and you too if you don't like approach is refreshing from the happy go lucky or just doing the right thing types. All the supporting cast it pretty good too.

On the character front (story spoiler):
    Can't stand the little girl therion that ate her mother, though. Yeah, your life sucks and it's just going to get worse when you recall that, but stop the crying!

• Options
    Yeah she's one of the few annoying characters I found in Berseria.

• Options
    They took all the bad child character traits from the playable one and put every single one of them into Kamoana and goddamn I hate her voice