As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tales of] Your Mom - Best Dog Is Back

• Options
    RazmaRazma Registered User regular
    Started Vesperia and about 7 hours or so in, first game in the Tales series I've played since Symphonia. Yuri's pretty much a beast. Forgot that they had the lil skit convos which are generally pretty damn awesome.

I've noticed that the characters unlock titles as they go which I assume is for achieving certain feats in combat or something. Do these do anything? Whenever I change someones title the model refreshes so I thought they apply a new skin or colour scheme but there's no differences that I can see and there's no changes to stats which I'm sure ToS had.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Like Symphonia, some titles are costumes.
    Unlike Symphonia, they don't affect stat growth so other than those they don't do anything.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Some titles will change combat music if I am remembering correctly from Vesperia. I know that is the case for other Tales games.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Very much enjoying the dialog. Plot (as in: "the main events of a play, novel, movie, or similar work") is straight as an arrow thus far, but I'm having such a fun experience along the way that I wont be disappointed if it's played straight right through to the end.

Wish the combat were as tight as Xillia, but it's still enjoyable. It's clerly based on it, but a bit slower yet more chaotic; it has a looser feel to it, which I don't like as much. I don't miss having TP to manage, though.
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Someone cracked the case and the game can now be played in 60 FPS:

https://github.com/Kaldaien/TZF/releases/tag/tzf_100

Gave it a spin and it's gorgeous.
    New versions are coming out fast, best link to the release directory: https://github.com/Kaldaien/TZF/releases

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If only one thing gets taken from Zestiria going forward I want the total lack of TP to be in all future Tales game.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    As much as I disliked Graces story and hated Asbel, it still has the best combat system so far. Zestiria comes close, but doesn't feel quite as fluid for some reason.

That 60 fps patch looks sweet though, is it stable?

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    v1.0.3 60 fps patch has been perfectly stable over the past week. It does introduce a little ugliness with area transitions, but it's a small price to pay and they may work out how to fix it.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Is it more or has the art style of the Tales games gotten progressively blander lately? Xillia, Xillia 2 and Zestiria look like remastered PS2 games. Vesperia, which came out way back in 2008, looks tremendously better.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Is it more or has the art style of the Tales games gotten progressively blander lately? Xillia, Xillia 2 and Zestiria look like remastered PS2 games. Vesperia, which came out way back in 2008, looks tremendously better.
    I think the fact that very little brown is used in Vesperia has something to do with that.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I think it's the move to a standard behind the back controllable camera which means they have to make larger and more fully realized spaces. The static camera of Vesperia probably meant they could more easily optimize areas and do some tricky things to make them look good with fewer polygons and lower resolution textures and they straight up didn't have to model anything that would be behind the camera.

Care Free Bomb on
    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I think it's also that they've been steadily moving towards an MMO aesthetic, which is lots of empty meadows, empty swamps, empty villages, empty beaches, more empty meadows, empty caves/mines, empty deserts, and empty hilly meadows. Area design has gone to hell.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Finally beat Zestiria and the Alisha DLC. Xillia and Xillia 2 felt like great games hampered by a small budget, but Zestiria feels mediocre all-around. It makes me fondly remember Graces. Graces.

The cast isn't bad and the skits are entertaining as usual, but Sorey is such a dull character. None of the other members stand out. The main story (malevolence this, purify that) is mindlessly boring and the few moments of drama fall flat. The various antagonists have little presence throughout the story and fail to drive the plot along.

As I mentioned before, the world itself is bland and lifeless. I hope nobody paid for the Alisha DLC. The forgettable epilogue is not worth paying to trudge around yet another flat, blocky, brown dungeon for an hour. Symphonia back in 2003 had far better area design and even looked better!

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    New Berseria trailer.

https://youtu.be/Nw0iCYEavcU

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Huh! I think I like this new direction.

Edit: The werewolf claw thing, not the outfit. :-p

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The tattered leggings and coat are one thing, but does her outfit really need to show underboob? :/

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    The tattered leggings and coat are one thing, but does her outfit really need to show underboob? :/

What's the point of being a girl if you aren't going to be scantily-clad?
    This is sarcasm, her entire design is horrid.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Rose had excellent outfits too, so it's a shame...

• Options
    edited December 2015
    I like her not-pirate costume in the flashbacks.

Arteen on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    We're never getting rid of this 3rd-person camera, are we? I just can't do it, and it makes me sad.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Free run is default and the camera can be rotated freely! Huzzah!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

I hope it supports 60 fps or higher by default this time.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    But will it be fun? Because Zestiria was pretty much not that.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    But will it be fun? Because Zestiria was pretty much not that.

Here's hoping!

If they can at least get a working camera this time..

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    She's a female lead with a wicked nail job. He's an adorable token shota. They fight werewolves.

At least, that's what I got outta that trailer.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Watching the trailer again, I think I finally get the title!

Fighting werewolves -> berserker -> Berseria

Arteen on
  • Options
    Yeah. I had been expecting some kind of berserker thing from the outfit and prior mentions of emotions and stuff being important. And, well, yeah the name.

Symphonia so soon though... I won't have room in my schedule to play it...

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Maybe the whole cast will be were-people of various were-forms.

This would be great.

I really want this now.

I'm setting myself up for disappointment aren't I?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    It's been announced that Tales of Berseria is a distant Prequel to Tales of Zestiria. Same world, much further in the past.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    What. That's no fun.

• Options
    It's been announced that Tales of Berseria is a distant Prequel to Tales of Zestiria. Same world, much further in the past.

Eww.

• Options

As long as it's not done as an excuse to copy-paste, fine by me. And better not hear anyone so much as whisper the word "malevolence".

That said, I have trouble recalling any aspect of the world of Zestiria that I'd like to see revisited. Maybe the seraphim? It could be cool having them as a background element, properly "worshipped" and all that, but not seen.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Eh. It worked fine for Symphonia/Phantasia. No reason it shouldn't here, too.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Malevolence was really such a nonsense word that meant nothing. Regrets? Except there's plenty of people who do regret things and nothing happens to them. Evil? Nope, bad people can be "pure" too. Hatred? Again, people who had hatred and weren't affected, also doesn't explain little girls transforming.

Here's hoping Emotion/Reason is a bit more straightforward.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    It never felt that way to be at all. It seemed more like once a certain threshold of negative emotions is reached, the chance of becoming afflicted becomes greater. Other factors we see that can effect it include a lot of negativity focused in a single area (city's, etc), the amount of inner-conflict a person has, and Heldalf's very existence. The game also pretty much straight up says that one's personal character is a big reason. No two people are the same and that's going to give whatever "rules" malevolence works on some elasticity.

I mean...none of it really bothered me, and I guess it's because I've consumed so much japanese media and these kinds of themes are very prevalent in their culture (Lailah is pretty much a shinto priestess in all but name), especially in a lot of things involving the supernatural. The currently running series Noragami uses very similar concepts involving the relationship between the human and the divine, and how negativity can be an almost tangible, disease-like thing.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Malevolence was really such a nonsense word that meant nothing. Regrets? Except there's plenty of people who do regret things and nothing happens to them. Evil? Nope, bad people can be "pure" too. Hatred? Again, people who had hatred and weren't affected, also doesn't explain little girls transforming.

Here's hoping Emotion/Reason is a bit more straightforward.

It was almost literally the same idea from Ni no Kuni and the Broken Hearted slapped into a different game. Ni no Kuni got the story right but flubbed on the combat, and like a lot of Tales games Zesteria did the opposite, with a camera that screwed up their combat track record now.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Just started Zestria last night. So far....I'm far from impressed. The game has a 'cheap rpg' feel to it compared to the past tales series. The story so far is really forced....Sure, you know your main character is going to end up saving the world in a tales game, but to just come out and label him as a savior seems a very cheap writing tatic. The fighting feels awkward so far. Hope it gets better.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Just started Zestria last night. So far....I'm far from impressed. The game has a 'cheap rpg' feel to it compared to the past tales series. The story so far is really forced....Sure, you know your main character is going to end up saving the world in a tales game, but to just come out and label him as a savior seems a very cheap writing tatic. The fighting feels awkward so far. Hope it gets better.

Yeah, I'm kind of seeing why they tied a copy of the beloved Symphonia to Zesteria sales.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Don't hold your breath.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Zestirias combat gets better, but then it gets worse. And the camera is truly awful.

It is probably my least favorite of the post destiny games, Graces is at least saved by amazing combat all the way through.