Options

[PA Comic] Monday, January 27, 2014 - Manslayer’s Doctrine

2»

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    If Assassin's Creed can't stop itself from feeling same-y and repetitive, I don't see how a game copying it won't either.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If Assassin's Creed can't stop itself from feeling same-y and repetitive, I don't see how a game copying it won't either.

To be fair repetitiveness in video games extends beyond AC as a series or a genre.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I can't find any clips from AC2 to confirm it, but the section at the very beginning where Talion is climbing look like an exact match of animations from AC2.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    So the argument is that the LOTR game was put togeather with as much effort as a fan mod with a budget?
    Yea, I can see how that can irk both the LOTR and AC fans.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Every game is about repetitive actions (albeit enjoyable repetitive actions) and what does same-y even mean?

It's a series. It's supposed to feel same-y.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    what does same-y even mean?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/samey

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Assassin's Creed does not samey describe.

• Options
    i didn't know that opinions were objective

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Okay.

Why do you feel the Assassin's Creed series is "same-y"?

• Options
    because it lacks in variety and is monotonous

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    The game is being written by Christian Cantamessa, who was a lead-writer and lead-designer on Rockstar San Diego's Red Dead Redemption.
    So in the middle third of Shadow of Mordor, we're going to have to go to South Gondor and get jerked around for a while with some ridiculous plot contrivances?

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Okay.

ev...erything about it?

Most reviews I have read have described the missions in AC IV as incredibly boring and exactly the same as the other iterations. The things people like about AC IV is the stuff that doesn't advance the plot at all, like the shanties and the ship combat. And when I played it that was exactly how I felt.

Otherwise you still just follow people and listen to conversations and then jump onto a guy and kill him and fight forty guards.

Langly on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    It is interesting to me that people are generally fine with engine licensing, but if the animation or art is reused it is terrible. I assume it's because art and animation are things everyone can at least think is straightforward. But engine programming is totally opaque.

Actually it's because animation/art asset generation is the more artistically demanding part. It's the same reason that Disney's Robin Hood is considered their weakest movie not because of any particular fault with the plot, songs, acting, etc., but because it recycles animation left and right from other Disney movies.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I'm more puzzled by the decision to "base" it in Middle Earth. Who comes up with a Nemesis system where enemies remember you and react accordingly (which frankly sounds like a Molyneax promise) and thinks, "I need some enemies that will be memorable, individually distinct, with tactics, personalities, and flair...I know! ORCS!"

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Okay.

ev...erything about it?

Most reviews I have read have described the missions in AC IV as incredibly boring and exactly the same as the other iterations. The things people like about AC IV is the stuff that doesn't advance the plot at all, like the shanties and the ship combat. And when I played it that was exactly how I felt.

Otherwise you still just follow people and listen to conversations and then jump onto a guy and kill him and fight forty guards.

Yeah, I generally enjoyed my time with the AC 1-3 but by the time I was finishing up the "third" one I was pretty much done with the series. It was getting way too drawn out with near identical game play and most of the tweaks they made weren't especially interesting.

I don't doubt that I might eventually wander back when they opt for a setting I'm particularly interested in or put some serious work in to the story but I'm more than happy to take a break from the series.

• Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    Not the best nose in this one.

Morgul Face Parasite

heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Oh god, I just noticed in the last panel that the hood has an eagle on it.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    It is interesting to me that people are generally fine with engine licensing, but if the animation or art is reused it is terrible. I assume it's because art and animation are things everyone can at least think is straightforward. But engine programming is totally opaque.

If they sell the engine they sell the engine. The "engine" is a system that devs can develop the game through. The animations and assets like models, textures and model rigs are usually created in other programs entirely and then integrated into the game engine. So yeah if others end up with that stuff and haven't paid for it, it would be very controversial

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Gabe's art in the last two or three strips has been exactly what I want to see when I think Gabe art. I realize he's not really stretching his artistic muscles to the degree to which he's currently capable, but the art is absolutely delightful, and I love it.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    There is a part where Talion, your deathmonger, is running across some kind of cable thing - the two strand, bracketed cables I remember Ezio hunched over. Were I them, might have played the double bracketed cable a little closer to the vest. Or do, like, three cables. I’m not a smart person; I think three cables would have thrown me off the scent.
    This stuck out to me as well, so I watched the trailer again to examine it closer, and it turns out the object in question actually is three cables bracketed together. The traversal animation still seems straight out of ACII.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    This News Post (via the Wikipedia link to Plate Lunch) taught me something about the land I grew up in. Apparently "Meat and Three" is a standard menu option in the Southern US. Can't say I ever remember seeing the name though.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The combat looks very Arkham-y. The climbing and vertical exploration looks Creed-y, and some of the magic spells look Dishonored-y.

This game is more like Darksiders, in that it appears to borrow from a lot of places.

Also, this game is so far out of lore boundaries that it makes me cringe every time I remember it's a Middle Earth game. Best to just imagine it as a generic orc slaying simulator.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    before the last panel i thought this was about splinter cell

that's how hip i am on video games

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I'm more puzzled by the decision to "base" it in Middle Earth. Who comes up with a Nemesis system where enemies remember you and react accordingly (which frankly sounds like a Molyneax promise) and thinks, "I need some enemies that will be memorable, individually distinct, with tactics, personalities, and flair...I know! ORCS!"

What I don't understand is why my enemies remain alive to "remember" me when I encounter them repeatedly. Is this some kind of Saturday morning cartoon thing where Team Rocket blasts off again to reappear in the next episode/level over and over?

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    @Gaslight I think it's more like the common trope of villains- if you do not personally see them die in a very definitive way and then inspect their remains afterwards, they're not dead.

So that guy you threw off a cliff, the one you tossed into a fire, anyone you didn't dismember completely will be potentially coming for vengeance later. Sort of like Deadspace in that way.

It's sort of weird that they seem to be taking the nemesis idea from the Hobbit movies; I didn't think the enmity between Azog and Thorin was enough to base a whole game mechanic off, but eh.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Gaslight wrote: »

What I don't understand is why my enemies remain alive to "remember" me when I encounter them repeatedly. Is this some kind of Saturday morning cartoon thing where Team Rocket blasts off again to reappear in the next episode/level over and over?

It's because Orcs are a hive-minded colonial organism.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So that guy you threw off a cliff, the one you tossed into a fire, anyone you didn't dismember completely will be potentially coming for vengeance later. Sort of like Deadspace in that way.

“…but when you kill someone by chopping off their head, rolling them up in a carpet, and burning it, you’d better make sure they’re dead.” Colin Mochrie

roflstomp on
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    THE NOSE. IT IS ATTACHED TO FOREHEAD.

• Options
    InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Game looks super slick and well presented.

Just curious how the systems in the game are going to work. I mean, in my average AC or Batman combat sequence there's not really survivors to let the nemisis thing occur.

I did some research. Based on what they're saying how it will work, death isn't 'load your last save', you just come back again due to the Wraith thing, it's possible you will pick a fight with a boss that kills you,and he remembers the scar you gave him.

Along the same lines APPARENTLY just killing the leaders won't work. You need to do the assassination/mind stuff to be able to to get to the higher ranks, or the slot you just opened will be filled when someone else gets promoted.

Buuut I'm not entirely sure if the system will work as advertised. If it does, awesome, otherwise... I'll probably get it anyway, unless it turns out to be total shit. Assassin's Creed, with ghost powers? What's not to like?

Also people claiming the animations look identical ok whatever how many ways are there to walk across a tightrope in a sneaky way guys. Everyone brings up AC but nobody's saying they stole the animations from Sly Cooper.

Invertin on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    That nose extends directly from the hairline.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    All I can say is that "half-wraith" sounds a lot like something directly from Song of the Sorcelator.

Let me pull back the veil on this half-wraith shit so we can all see it for what it is and stop being confused:

The protagonist is Ghost Rider. He is possessed by the spirit/wraith of vengeance and now he's going to kill everybody.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    OgreSmasherOgreSmasher Registered User regular
    Hi, Talion. I'm Talon. I too am a hood-wearing assassin of the shadows, I can teleport behind people and my favorite color is purple. My hobbies include throwing blades and controlling top lanes, unless there's a Pantheon involved, in which case I get smacked like a child.
    talon.jpg

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    "“We didn’t think much about [Assassin's Creed] at all."

;)
    This News Post (via the Wikipedia link to Plate Lunch) taught me something about the land I grew up in. Apparently "Meat and Three" is a standard menu option in the Southern US. Can't say I ever remember seeing the name though.

You probably have and just never thought of it.

• Options
    "“We didn’t think much about [Assassin's Creed] at all."

;)

You probably have and just never thought of it.

I know I've eaten it, and either Wikipedia is wrong (impossible) or I just never noticed the term. It's simply odd to hear about some common aspect of a culture you spent decades in and didn't notice.

• Options
    Hi, Talion. I'm Talon. I too am a hood-wearing assassin of the shadows, I can teleport behind people and my favorite color is purple. My hobbies include throwing blades and controlling top lanes, unless there's a Pantheon involved, in which case I get smacked like a child.
    talon.jpg

I'd say that character was designed to intentionally be archetypal. Or stereotypical. Take your pick.

A cloaked and hooded guy who plays with knives isn't exactly a League of Legends original.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I don't play LoL but aren't most/all of the characters in LoL designed to be somewhat archetypal?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I don't play LoL but aren't most/all of the characters in LoL designed to be somewhat archetypal?

Sort of. I think Riot likes to pride itself on having a lot of atypical characters. But it is a kitchen sink kitsch fantasy setting, with Victorian steampunk rubbing shoulders with ninjas and knights.
    So I'm not particularly surprised that you have generic assassin guy.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    RE: Enemies remembering you.

I assumed it was going to be something where you run into the target multiple times while climbing the dead orc ladder. Maybe you fight him down to half health and they throw in a stupid escape mechanic.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    desharadeshara Registered User new member

Just curious how the systems in the game are going to work. I mean, in my average AC or Batman combat sequence there's not really survivors to let the nemisis thing occur.

IIRC in AC1 it was common for low-ranking enemies to break and run if you started butchering your way through their ranks or putting down higher ranked enemies. God I miss AC1, it was so good..

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    deshara wrote: »

IIRC in AC1 it was common for low-ranking enemies to break and run if you started butchering your way through their ranks or putting down higher ranked enemies. God I miss AC1, it was so good..

Aye, they absolutely would. And I would usually let them go.

Unless I was in a particularly bad mood (like, I just got done trying to hop around water and Altair instinctively pulled 90 degree turns a dozen times to jump into the water instead of the dock in front of him... god the controls were shit for jumping anywhere near water in AC1). If they caught me on a bad day, it usually just meant they'd either get a knife in a back or I'd chase them down to impale them as epicly as possible.

AC1 was a great game, but going back to it after playing the rest, there was a lot missing. Like not being able to pick up and move bodies: god forbid you're trying to do a side assassination where you can't be detected and fail because some Templar auto-detects you from half a block away, and then when you go back to re-try you have to deal with the seemingly never-unspawning corpses you left behind the first time and the billion guards perpetually looking for their killer.

Edward Kenway would've just tossed those dicks into some hay and they wouldn't have been discovered until some poor bastard decided it was time to feed his horse.