As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Pack Rat Fever (BOTG Sealed League, see pg 20)

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So, I'm new to magic. If they release a set like this that is in its own unique format, does that replace a regular Standard expansion (ie Theros) or is it in addition, like a bonus?

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    It does not go in Standard.

It is a supplemental set, meaning it is only for casual magic. I believe supplemental sets go into Legacy, but I'm not 100% on that.

Kwoaru
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Yeah the only things that go into standard are the core sets and the block sets

2x39jD4.jpg
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Supplemental sets do go into Legacy.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    And Vintage. And technically Pauper!

Any eternal format, basically.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    hey nerds, there was an mtg product leak a while ago, one of the new things was a clash pack
    this is probably related to that

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I decided to flip my mutavault, stormbreath dragon, and thoughtsieze today, since I'm never going to get a playset of any of them anyway

got enough credit for a playset of prophets of kruphix and a born of the gods fatpack!

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Holy crap, I didn't know how bad I wanted an official "lets go cubing" thing till I read that card. That sounds completely up my alley!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    If it was a mistake to print they'll ban it. If it wasn't, it could easily show up in a future supplemental product.

Yeah dude. "Is now an important card in legacy" is not the same as a mistake.

There have been plenty of cards printed that are mistakes that weren't banned. Geist of St. Traft, Lingering Souls, Tarmogoyf, Dismember, Kiki-Jiki etc. These cards won't be banned because they make up a "healthy" portion of the metagame, but they sure aren't fair cards by any stretch of the imagination and warp(ed) at least one format for quite some time.

I don't think any of those are mistakes. I'd like to see your definition of mistake.

EDIT-Alright maybe Goyf. Not sure how strong he was in standard.

Quire.jpg
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Island was the biggest mistake for legacy, all of the things in jund are the biggest mistakes in modern.

There.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Goyf was partially a literal mistake - originally it was a */* for 1GG, then accidentally got changed to a */*+1 for 1G, which turns out to be much better.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Goyf was partially a literal mistake - originally it was a */* for 1GG, then accidentally got changed to a */*+1 for 1G, which turns out to be much better.

So was Voice actually. Was supposed to be legendary and I think more expensive. But I don't think that is what were talking about.

Quire.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    If it was a mistake to print they'll ban it. If it wasn't, it could easily show up in a future supplemental product.

Yeah dude. "Is now an important card in legacy" is not the same as a mistake.

There have been plenty of cards printed that are mistakes that weren't banned. Geist of St. Traft, Lingering Souls, Tarmogoyf, Dismember, Kiki-Jiki etc. These cards won't be banned because they make up a "healthy" portion of the metagame, but they sure aren't fair cards by any stretch of the imagination and warp(ed) at least one format for quite some time.

I don't think any of those are mistakes. I'd like to see your definition of mistake.

EDIT-Alright maybe Goyf. Not sure how strong he was in standard.

Zoo was a good deck when he was in Standard. Not a dominant deck, but a good deck.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Okay, so here's the deck I ended up with last night. I went green for my Path colour/thing, but my white and blue were so ridiculous that I ended up going with those.

My deck:

1 Aqueous Form
    1 Gods Willing
    1 Mortals Ardor
    3 Nyxborn Shieldmate

1 Omenspeaker (Looks amazing foil)
    1 Voyage's End
    1 Vapor Kin
    1 Ordeal of Thassa
    1 Nullify

1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    1 Thassa, God of the Sea
    1 Nyxborn Triton
    2 Wingsteed Rider
    3 Nimbus Naiad (This also looks amazing foil, got one)

1 Bident of Thassa
    1 Thassa's Emissary
    1 Chorus of the Tides

1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion (Foil!)

9 Island
    8 Plains

Traded the Elspeth afterwards for a regular Elspeth (finished my playset) and a copy of Kiora for my cube.

The guy I traded the Kiora from pulled two in his pool, a Nykthos, two Voyaging Satyrs and two of the green devotion Lanowar Elf that gives you mana equal to your devotion and a Colossus of Akros.

He had a Colossus come down on turn six.

Kelor on
    People like you are why I don't do prereleases, I could never reach those heights.

Kwoaru
    Hate you

Hate that other guy

Hate you both (forever)

2x39jD4.jpg
    WiseManTobes
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    alright I'm in for tomorrow morning prerelease, there were like 3 spots and I was like fuck it lets get this to be a full day

mxcyxf26lgaj.jpg
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    If it makes you feel better everything I pulled from my prize packs was awful. I got three of my six packs had

Image.ashx?multiverseid=378416&type=card

in them.

It is the single most ridiculous pool I've ever had though.

I will never forget how crazy my gatecrash prerelease pools were and how I'll never top having 4 standard decks in a limited environment and taking first in all 4 events

triple burning tree pools nonstop

mxcyxf26lgaj.jpg
    I hope I can get my 2 ephara tomorrow/trade for them

mxcyxf26lgaj.jpg
    I hope I can get my 2 ephara tomorrow/trade for them

I feel like that one won't be too huge of a problem.

• tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    I went 2-2 after starting 2-0 tonight in the standard before prerelease stuff. I'm starting to dig my lifelink deck, and it played really well tonight.

I just need to put a little bit more stuff that lets me draw into stuff I need so I'm not so dependent on my initial hand

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Antimatter wrote: »
    hey nerds, there was an mtg product leak a while ago, one of the new things was a clash pack
    this is probably related to that

it wasn't a product leak, it was in the announcement for m15.

this is almost certainly the summer supplemental product and will be called Conspiracy.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=526583

Sars_Boy on
    The Betgirl
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I could have used that Cogworth Librarian today. Passed a Stormbreath Dragon in favor of foil Thassa.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I could have used that Cogworth Librarian today. Passed a Stormbreath Dragon in favor of foil Thassa.

You are exactly who DOESN'T need a Cogsworth, !

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    What colors do we pick for maximum 2hg sealed?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    there was a product leak i conflated it with, apologies

i can't recall the name but it seemed like the fall 2014 set name or something magic related got leaked, it was a wizards product and it wasnt D&D related as far as i could tell

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    gosh i wish i could've saved all of the money i spent on drafting theros on this new set

this one has waaay more interesting cards so far

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    the next set will always have more interesting cards

it will forever look better than the previous set

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    but really though theros totally took me by surprise with how unimpressive it was, at least compared to the last few

i m o

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    i agree it wasn't that great of a set but people were hyping the shit out of it before it came out tho.

Just got home from the midnight event

I saw at least two phenax's get pulled by other people, but not one in play

Final official record is 3-1 but really it was 2-1 with the last round splitting because it is 4am and this isn't an exhibition let's go home

Summary in the morning, sleep forever now

2x39jD4.jpg
    Oh I will say though, for fun I opened my theros packs first, and the very first card I see is a foil Thoughtseize

2x39jD4.jpg
    Dr. FlamingoThe Betgirl
    I opened Bob!

Then Bob killed me D:

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    you mean Bob's slightly dimmer brother?

Okay, first lets look at rares and shiny things
    From the event box:
    Arbiter of the Ideal (blue promo)
    Perplexing Chimera
    Agent of Fates
    Thoughtseize (foil)
    Reaper of the Wilds
    Ember Swallower
    Oracle of Bones
    Forgstoker Dragon

From the Prize Packs:
    Scourge of the Skola Vale (foil)
    Pain Seer
    Astral Cornucopia

Junk foils:
    Peregrination
    Hopeful Eidolon

The deck I ended up with:
    Felhide Brawler
    Baleful Eidolon
    Spiteful Returned
    Siren of the Silent Song
    Shipwreck Singer
    Meletis Astronomer
    Crackling Triton
    Breaching Hippocamp
    Chorus of the Tides x2
    Agent of Fates
    Perplexing Chimera
    Arbiter of the Ideal

Grisly Transformation
    Stratus Walk

Eye Gouge
    Necrobite
    Sudden Storm
    Crypsis
    Voyage's End
    Nullify
    Asphyxiate
    Divination

7x Swamp
    9x Island

I sideboarded once or twice, I know at various points it included Asphodel Wanderer, Carvern Lampad, Fleshmad Steed and maybe one or two others I can't recall

Event Summary and Highlights
    Build: bastard two seats down pulled a phenax, is building green white, hate him forever

Round 1: 2-0
    played against a lady running Red with a splash of Blue, she had two griptides which were incredibly annoying. She didn't get the right cards in game 1, then flooded in game 2. I drew out okay both games. Agent of Fates heroic effect was fun.

Round 2: 0-2
    played against a guy who used a GW deck in game 1 and then in game 2 switched to a Red deck. Got blue starved in the first game so I couldn't play half my hand for the first 6 turns, probably would have lost anyway. Second game I just got run over. However in game 1 my Siren of the Silent Song did plink Karametra from the top of his deck, so that was fun. I actually got him down to one life in game 1 the turn after he got me down to 1 life, it would have been lethal but he popped my bestowed Eidolon making me miss the mark by 1.

Round 3: 2-1
    played against a guy playing a Green Blue deck I forget what happened in the first game but it did not go my way at all. The second game though, we both keep at 7 but I had a thoughtseize in my hand and was on the play so turn 1 I look at his hand and he has 5 lands, some common centaur, and a Pulukronos. I picked Pulukronos. Then I was able to hit my draws and drops and stuff and it went great for me, he had okay draws but I was able to keep ahead of him. Game 3 I mulled to 6, kept the hand that had thoughtseize and a good mix of lands. Turn one I thoughtseize and discard his Pulukronos. Again. Then starting around turn 5 he was mana starved by just one or two lands.

Round 4: 2-1
    this was tough because I had to squeeze between some people to make it to my chair, then immedietly squeeze between them again to get back out when we agreed to split the packs and neither of us really felt like playing even another game at 4am
    Other Event Highlight:
    The store I go to likes to give away product to a random person for prerelease events, or at least the midnight events. This time they gave away a complete unopened case of Commander 2013. I did not win it but somebody was super fucking lucky and I hate him

Overall: great event, lots of fun, the general lack of crowd almost makes going at midnight worth it

gonna go back to the 4:00 one probably

2x39jD4.jpg
    Also foil Scourge of the Skola Vale has literally zero foiling on the card art, just the border

2x39jD4.jpg
    I will say my Eater of Hope promo is fucking sexy

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I went 1-0 at prerelease. My best friend and I had to drop because she got a migraine and the obnoxious crowd at the shop was decidedly not helping

But I pulled tromokratis and a mistcutter hydra, so I really won everything forever

Kilroy on
  • monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    Man, I stayed up way too late at my shop with the pre-release. Ended up doing 2 Wins, 1 Loss, 1 Draw, which meant I walked out with only a participation Born of the Gods booster.

In other news, I reallyreallyreally like Tribute.
    "Ok, which end of the stick would you like? The pointy end, or the not-so-pointy end?"

This discussion has been closed.