As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Pack Rat Fever (BOTG Sealed League, see pg 20)

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Griswold wrote: »
    Or the poor guy who was just about to jump into Modern and bought a playset of DRS.

a friend of mine was dangerously close to being this guy

Realistically, Deathrite is still extremely playable in Legacy and shouldn't tank too horribly over the long-term

The problem is when you've bought your DRS for your modern deck, and now you need to buy a legacy deck to put him in.

That would be a bummer. Or wait a while for the price to bounce back to a point near what you paid, then go trade him out. Since you couldn't buylist him for anywhere close to what you paid.

Anon the Felon on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So what exactly is the DRS interaction that is getting it banned? Is it something new with theros/born or something DRS has been doing for a while

2x39jD4.jpg
    I think it's:

This card is too powerful, and is in every deck which can splash it. It's reducing deck variety.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    DRS was a ridiculously efficient creature in Modern because of fetch lands. It could create any color of mana, hose opponents graveyard strategies, hit the opponent for damage or gain life for you, all while being easier to cast and having a higher toughness than other mana dorks. Since BGx midrange has dominated modern since Deathrite came out, Wizards finally decided to shake things up.

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    It's honestly one of the strongest creature one drops in the game:
    -It's hybrid, so flexible in cost and what decks run it (most of the time he's in B/G decks anyway but point stands)
    -Mana ramps readily since sac lands are everywhere
    -Color fixes because said mana can be any color
    -Hates on graveyards, generally a powerful resource in broader formats rather than "a place for dead things" like in most limited/standard formats
    -Gains you life if you desperately need it
    -Finishes opponents off with direct damage that can't be prevented because it's life loss
    -Has two toughness, which is notable on a one drop

I mean if there was a Magic singles segment on QVC you could go on and on about Deathrite Shaman because he really DOES do it all.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Or the poor guy who was just about to jump into Modern and bought a playset of DRS.

a friend of mine was dangerously close to being this guy

Posted to reddit yesterday:

3W1JGWW.jpg

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Like, I get picking up Deathrite shaman.

But that many Sylvan Primordials? Really?

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Why...

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Was sylvan primordial even worth anything? And how much value can it lose when the only format it was banned in played it as a 1 if?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    There are a large quantity of cards that are only valuable because of EDH. Foil Sylvan Primordial was worth like $8 (I bought one for $5 like 3 weeks ago) until Sunday. I don't know what it's worth right now but it sure as shit ain't worth $8 any more.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Was sylvan primordial even worth anything? And how much value can it lose when the only format it was banned in played it as a 1 if?

Casual staples -- especially foils and foreign language versions -- spike a couple years after a set rotates.

I like when the daily mtg articles touch on decks or ideas that are close to ones I've been toying with

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/rc/285

definitely gonna try playing around with kiora's follower over the mystic

2x39jD4.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    there is a very large chance those are chinese fakes

PiptheFair wrote: »

wut

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So.

I had a good weekend at work. Particularly Saturday.

As a reward I'm gonna be doing a Theros Sealed thing tonight. I don't think I'm ready for Draft, but this will help me increase my card selection.

Any advice? Tips?

edited February 2014
    removal is your friend is basically all I've learned in the last two years since i got back into magic and started doing limited events

removal and lucky rares

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    Yep, the most important things to have are Bombs, Removal, and Evasion (ie flying, unblockable, hexproof)

oh, probably obvious basics but: stick to two colors and don't let your curve get too top heavy

2x39jD4.jpg
    Don't get complicated. You have a lot less cards, each one needs to stand on it's own a little better.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular

I'm sure they're not fakes, it's some guy who was speculating and got fucked by the bannings.

I am okay with this, because magic players as a whole get fucked by speculators on the regular so this time round they got burned.

Maybe this will stop some assholes from running up the prices of cards by $5-10 on a regular basis.

Kelor wrote: »

I'm sure they're not fakes, it's some guy who was speculating and got fucked by the bannings.

I am okay with this, because magic players as a whole get fucked by speculators on the regular so this time round they got burned.

Maybe this will stop some assholes from running up the prices of cards by $5-10 on a regular basis.

No this probably won't make starcity change at all

2x39jD4.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Starcity is personally responsible for Wasteland being a $70 card instead of a $30 card. I'm wondering how big Magic has to get for there to be antitrust lawsuits against people ruining parts of the secondary market.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hope your pool has many Nessian Asps.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    So I don't really pay attention to card price trends or have a good appreciation for how demand for a card impacts its pricetag

I have so many Mutavaults and it's a $35 card

Desecration Demons and Nightveil Spectres too

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Starcity is personally responsible for Wasteland being a $70 card instead of a $30 card. I'm wondering how big Magic has to get for there to be antitrust lawsuits against people ruining parts of the secondary market.

you mean by single-handedly creating a massive environment for competitive Legacy play?

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

you mean by single-handedly creating a massive environment for competitive Legacy play?

But not before hoarding the entire county's stock of Dual Lands and Legacy staples.

burn all dual lands to the ground

2x39jD4.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i would watch a heist movie where nerds tried to steal cards from a star city warehouse

All I really want are some fetchlands in my life

That's the point where I feel like I could probably sneak into modern play

wut

there are a couple chinese companies now that make REALLY good fakes'
    so much so that that average player absolutely cannot tell

it's kinda becoming a huge 'thing' that wizards is gonna have to deal with

The Betman wrote: »
    All I really want are some fetchlands in my life

That's the point where I feel like I could probably sneak into modern play

wait a year for the set after m15

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I think there are some really fun decks in modern (including ones that aren't the usual big decks in top 8's), but dang if they aren't expensive. Looked up a Tezzeret deck and it was I think $400+...without the 6-10 fetch lands it listed.
    And that's why I'm probably never playing modern.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    onslaught fetches are due to be reprinted for the modern environment soon

the only acceptable dual lands are the ones like dragonskull summit

2x39jD4.jpg
    i want the other four duals in the future sight cycle besides graven cairns to get full cycles

they are neat

But not before hoarding the entire county's stock of Dual Lands and Legacy staples.

don't forget sponsoring pros to make wonky decks to purposefully spike prices of otherwise garbage cards they speculated for super cheap!

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i want the other four duals in the future sight cycle besides graven cairns to get full cycles

they are neat

I think they said River of Tears is no good because of memory issues, but the one that produces the opposite color of whatever land type you control (white if you control an Island, blue if you control a Plains) could definitely see play.

silence1186 on
    river of tears and nimbus maze are the two coolest ones

wut

there are a couple chinese companies now that make REALLY good fakes'
    so much so that that average player absolutely cannot tell

it's kinda becoming a huge 'thing' that wizards is gonna have to deal with

the big explosion of fakes was only a set of 55 cards, almost entirely Modern and Legacy staples. Even Deathrite isn't on the list.

I'm not a big fan of River of Tears, but I like Nimbus Maze a lot

This discussion has been closed.