As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Pack Rat Fever (BOTG Sealed League, see pg 20)

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    You think fetches are bad you should look at duals. I need to get an underground sea before a revised one goes up another 100 bucks.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    How I lament selling my old cards for a song.

God damn stupid, younger me. God damn stupid.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    RIP legacy

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    How I lament selling my old cards for a song.

God damn stupid, younger me. God damn stupid.

better than having your mom pitch them out...

Anon the FelonThe BetgirlTheodore Floosevelt
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    However, let's be clear: trading away cards that become valuable later will never feel as bad as buying cards that are now worthless

I remember getting a Force of Nature as a birthday gift.

Anon the FelonWiseManTobes
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So I'm still thinking about those clues for Huey MaRo said where in JOU.

--- I've already mentioned the set of cards that generate multiple tokens (Flurry of Horns, etc), and speculated that they could hunt at Huey being about going 'wide' with large armies and perhaps featuring a token subtheme. I'm still on board with that as being a solid guess

--- HOWEVER, I was listening to the Limited Resources JOU Set review and they said something that made my ears perk up:

Take a look at Nessian Game Warden:

NessianGameWarden.jpg

Notice anything odd?

The text reads "equal to the number of FORESTS you control".

The LR guys pointed out that it was odd that, in this set, it didn't read "equal to your devotion to green". I thought "hey yeah, that is odd"

So I checked the spoiler.

There's a whole cycle like that for each color.

Could THAT be hinting at something for Huey? I know cards like that are nothing too new, but a whole CYCLE that seems like it could easily have said 'Devotion' instead?

Just a thought.

APODionysus on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    I still have my playset of Duals and they have great memories for me, but I don't play legacy at all now and the prices on them are just getting stupid. Do I wait and hope they keep going up? Sell before interest in Magic/Legacy tanks? Keep them for the nostalgia factor since its not like I spent (real) money to invest in them? It's actually pretty bothersome. :( Same with a bunch of my favorites from when I first played like Moat, Chains of Mephistopheles, All Hallows Eve, Invoke Prejudice, etc.

/firstworldproblems

why are you smelling it?
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    so pre-release event info

what are the promo cards for each color and which color has a shot at which god

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

--- I've already mentioned the set of cards that generate multiple tokens (Flurry of Horns, etc), and speculated that they could hunt at Huey being about going 'wide' with large armies and perhaps featuring a token subtheme. I'm still on board with that as being a solid guess

--- HOWEVER, I was listening to the Limited Resources JOU Set review and they said something that made my ears perk up:

NessianGameWarden.jpg

Notice anything odd?

The LR guys pointed out that it was odd that, in this set, it didn't read "equal to your devotion to green". I thought "hey yeah, that is odd"

Could THAT be hinting at something for Huey? I know cards like that are nothing too new, but a whole CYCLE that seems like it could easily have said 'Devotion' instead?

Just a thought.

it's certainly possible... though there is an in-set explanation as well seeing as they wanted to cut devotion from this set due to the story, but counting basic lands still generally plays well with devotion decks

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    The BetgirlAnon the Felon
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Kwoaru wrote: »

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/296

I don't think they know which god is in which pack yet, unless someone has cracked and broken street.

I imagine whichever color comes first in the casting cost will determine which box it ends up in.

silence1186 on
    Kwoaru
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Welp, bought two packs of Dragon's Maze last night and pulled a Blood Baron of Vizkopa and a Ral Zarek.

Guess I ought to build that U/R Chimera deck now.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Anon the Felon

if you're looking to win, your best bets are probably white and black

Anon the Felon

I don't think they know which god is in which pack yet, unless someone has cracked and broken street.

I imagine whichever color comes first in the casting cost will determine which box it ends up in.
    Oh but wait! That rare can actually be a mythic rare God card that shares the color you picked (but no other mythic rare).

Just spotted this, so that means white can get Iroas OR Athreos, I guess

Also I'm done triple posting for now

NessianGameWarden.jpg

Notice anything odd?

Just a thought.

it's certainly possible... though there is an in-set explanation as well seeing as they wanted to cut devotion from this set due to the story, but counting basic lands still generally plays well with devotion decks

Good point.

Eh , I still liked 'going wide' and 'tokens matter' better anyway. Just thought it was interesting.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Gather round children, Uncle Kelor is going to tell you a tale of the dumbest sealed deck in all of the prerelease.

Just got back from the prerelease. Was after the white but they had run out by the time they got to me so I went with green.

11 Forest
    6 Mountain
    2 Font of Fertility
    2 Golden Hind
    1 Voyaging Satyr
    1 Leafcrown Dryad
    1 Agent of Horizons
    1 Nyxborn Wolf
    1 Nessian Courser
    1 Opaline Unicorn
    1 Pheres-Band Trumpeter
    1 Ravenous Leucrocota
    1 Nylea's Emmisary
    2 Nessian Asp
    2 Hero's Bane
    1 Arbor Colossus
    1 Xenagos, God of Revels
    1 Hydra Broodamaster
    1 Fall of the Hammer
    1 Lightning Strike
    1 Bolt of Keranos
    1 Portent of Betrayal
    15893.jpg

Opened an Athreos in my prize packs.

Kelor on
    Anon the FelonTheodore FlooseveltKwoaruThe Betgirl
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    You could always just be the lucky sod who gets the literal god pack:

10269496_847355715278872_5355904459533111355_n.jpg

Apparently some of the JOU boosters contain all 15 gods instead of the regular card distribution.

Nullzone on
    Crimson King
    flames on the side of face

2x39jD4.jpg
    KalTorak
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

NessianGameWarden.jpg

Notice anything odd?

Just a thought.

Did Maro actually say that? It seems more like people in this thread just speculated that. Anyways Maro has already talked about the cycle that cares about how many of a basic land type you have. Its there because they didn't want to use devotion on anything but the Gods. Gods and mortal are fighting after all.

Quire.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    skarsol wrote: »
    I still have my playset of Duals and they have great memories for me, but I don't play legacy at all now and the prices on them are just getting stupid. Do I wait and hope they keep going up? Sell before interest in Magic/Legacy tanks? Keep them for the nostalgia factor since its not like I spent (real) money to invest in them? It's actually pretty bothersome. :( Same with a bunch of my favorites from when I first played like Moat, Chains of Mephistopheles, All Hallows Eve, Invoke Prejudice, etc.

/firstworldproblems

@‌skarsol

I would expect them to keep going up unless something real weird happens and interest in Legacy plummets. Which would have to be, like, SCG killing off their entire Legacy Open circuit to replace it with Modern.

That said, if you have any financial risks at all, "investing" in Magic cards is a terrible plan, so you should sell them now while you can be patient and get the most you can out of it. If you're financially stable then it doesn't matter so much.

admanb on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

NessianGameWarden.jpg

Notice anything odd?

Just a thought.

devotion and number of lands are not the same thing at all and would require a completely different balance

Anon the Felon
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »

Oh but wait! That rare can actually be a mythic rare God card that shares the color you picked (but no other mythic rare).

Just spotted this, so that means white can get Iroas OR Athreos, I guess

Also I'm done triple posting for now

Didn't they say that last time, and it was still only one god to a color? I could be wrong. I guess I'll see on Saturday.

Kwoaru
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Here's the BW humans decklist I was tinkering with:
    6 Swamp
    8 Plains
    4 Godless Shrine
    4 Temple of Silence

4 Soldier of the Pantheon
    4 Pain Seer
    3 Imposing Sovereign
    3 Daring Skyjek
    4 Cartel Aristocrat
    4 Xathrid Necromancer
    3 Banisher Priest
    3 Athreos, God of Passage

4 Duress
    1 Ultimate Price
    3 Orzhov Charm
    2 Spear of Heliod

Another build I saw used Drown in Sorrow as well because with Athreos and a Xathrid Necromancer out it becomes pretty one sided.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Also best part about opening that Athreos is I can build my God commander deck now.

I had everything in the cart but was super reluctant to drop $30 on just one of the gods. Now I have him I can pick up the other four and get rollin'

Anon the Felon
    I was down, before work, trying to trade for the 7 cards I want out of JOU for a Xenagos deck I've been tinkering with.

I think it's the sign of a good set when people don't even want to trade commons until they get more.

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Okay, so for prerelease packs, White can get Athreos, Black Pharika, Green Kruphix, Blue Keranos, and Red Iroas.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    For Kruphix's unused mana ability does that mean you just keep stockpiling colorless mana until he's dead?

Xeddicus wrote: »
    For Kruphix's unused mana ability does that mean you just keep stockpiling colorless mana until he's dead?
    Yup

Quire.jpg
    This prerelease I built a deck that at the time I felt was wholly unremarkable. Turned out it had the right combo of decent bombs, really good uncommons and removal to carry me to a 4-0 record.

Didnt really open anything of note but I'm feeling ok.

Quire.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    This prerelease I built a deck that at the time I felt was wholly unremarkable. Turned out it had the right combo of decent bombs, really good uncommons and removal to carry me to a 4-0 record.

Didnt really open anything of note but I'm feeling ok.

This is usually when I do the best too, when I get too distracted by bombs I draft/sealed into it too hard sometimes, but when I get junk and have to dive into commons/uncommons early I do great.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    So... prerelease is/was this weekend, right?

Does that mean next weekend will be our first tournies in the new Standard? Because I am so excited to watch! I really feel like the Metagame may actually get decently shaken up.

God I hope so. I don't expect MonoB to go away, but it'd be nice to have so s more variety (though, of late, there have been more aggro decks floating about and it certainly looks like JOU is gonna give some tools to help them - Iroas, Athreos, Mama Conflience).

Random question: Is Pro Tour JOU Standard or Block Constructed?

Pro Tour Journey Into Nyx is block constructed.

Neat. Will be interesting to see Heroic actually being used in a PT.

Not to mention a PT free of Pack Rat and Desecration Demon (I got into Magic during Theros, so I know not of life free of those cards)

Sadly, Thoughtseize will still be around.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Grabbed w/b god from regular pack and deicide from seeded. Won my first round against a much better player. Feeling dirty

Anon the Felon
    edited April 2014
    starved so hard in both games of the first round it was terrible

won round 2 and 3 both 2-0, split round 4 but I probably would have lost, nothing exciting in the prize packs

master of the feast is no slouch even though I never once played him on curve

also a creature with 3 power is in a very awkward place for some white removal it was terrible

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    Neat. Will be interesting to see Heroic actually being used in a PT.

Not to mention a PT free of Pack Rat and Desecration Demon (I got into Magic during Theros, so I know not of life free of those cards)

Sadly, Thoughtseize will still be around.

Heroic probably wont get use. UW Heroic is currently the biggest heroic deck of the meta at 2%.

Without Hidden Strings I just don't think it can get there.

Quire.jpg
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Well, my prerelease was pretty low on peeps. Pulled the following Sealed pool:
    Ajani's Presence
    Akroan Mastiff
    Akroan Skyguard
    Armament of Nyx
    Battlewise Valor
    Dawnbringer Charioteers
    Decorated Griffin
    Ephara's Warden
    Font of Vigor
    2x Harvestguard Alseids
    Leonin Snarecaster
    Mortal's Ardor
    Nyx-Fleece Ram
    2x Oreskos Swiftclaw
    Plea for Guidance
    Skybind
    Supply-Line Cranes
    Wingsteed Rider

Annul
    Chorus of the Tides
    Cloaked Siren
    Deepwater Hypnotist
    Fate Foretold
    Font of Fortunes
    Nimbus Naiad
    2x Thassa's Devourer
    Thassa's Ire
    Triton Cavalry
    Triton Shorestalker

Abhorrent Overlord
    Agent of Erebos
    Boon of Erebos
    Claim of Erebos
    Extinguish all Hope
    Feast of Dreams
    Felhide Petrifier
    Fleshmad Steed
    Grim Guardian
    Marshmist Titan
    Nyx Infusion
    Pharika's Chosen
    Returned Reveler
    Squelching Leeches

Akroan Conscriptor
    Borderland Minotaur
    Demolish
    Fearsome Temper
    2x Flamespeaker Adept
    Flurry of Horns
    Font of Ire
    Foreborn Oreads
    Gluttonous Cyclops
    Ill-Tempered Cyclops
    Impetuous Sunchaser
    Lightning Diadem
    Mogis's Warhound
    Ordeal of Purphoros
    Satyr Nyx-Smith
    Satyr Rambler
    Sigiled Skink
    Two-Headed Cerberus
    Wild Celebrants

Feral Invocation
    Golden Hind
    Humbler of Mortals
    2x Kruphix's Insight
    Mischief and Mayhem
    Oakheart Dryads
    Pheres-Band Tromper
    Ravenous Leucrocota
    Renowned Weaver
    Satyr Hedonist
    Setessan Oathsworn
    2x Staunch-Hearted Warrior

Akroan Hoplite
    Guardians of Meletis
    Horizon Chimera
    Revel of the Fallen God
    Underworld Cerberus
    Underworld Coinsmith

When I opened it, I thought it was pretty bad. Here's the deck I built:
    Ajani's Presence
    Akroan Mastiff
    Akroan Skyguard
    Armament of Nyx
    Battlewise Valor
    Dawnbringer Charioteers
    Mortal's Ardor
    Oreskos Swiftclaw x 2
    Supply-Line Cranes
    Wingsteed Rider

Fearsome Temper
    Flamespeaker Adept
    Lightning Diadem
    Mogis's Warhound
    Ordeal of Purphoros
    Satyr Rambler
    Two-Headed Cerberus

Boon of Erebos
    Feast of Dreams
    Nyx Infusion
    Akroan Hoplite
    Underworld Cerberus

8 Plains
    6 Mountain
    3 Swamp

I'm curious what other people would have done with it. I ended up going 3-1, taking second place, so I'm not going to complain. I thought that my pool for the Born prerelease was fantastic but I got the same score. I am forced to one of three possible conclusions:

1. I am awful at deciding what a good or bad pool is.
    2. I play the same regardless of the quality of my pool.
    3. Everyone else's pool has a much greater impact on my score than anything else. (At Born, lots of people had what I thought were pretty good pools, but most of them seemed pretty so-so here)

The next two gAmes saw an elspeth and an ajani wah wah

How did the new Ajani play?

He put three counters on a guy and then I killed him. :bz

Anon the Felon
This discussion has been closed.