As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Pack Rat Fever (BOTG Sealed League, see pg 20)

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    He put three counters on a guy and then I killed him. :bz
    so about as good as xenagos in limited I guess?

Quire.jpg
    Anon the Felon
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Well I did absolutely terrible in my pool.
    Bought a theros gift box after cause why not I need boxes and pulled a foil thoughtseize

Anon the FelonWiseManTobesKwoarudrp527The Betgirl
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    one thing i'll say, having only done the botg and the jou prereleases, is that it feels like sealed play in this block had a lot of deathtouch, and i hope there's less in huey

Anon the Felon
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Yeah, deathtouch is really annoying to see hit the table.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    They probably pushed it as a safety valve against all the Voltrons.

Anon the FelonGriswold
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Whoops wrong thread

Got a pre-release to hit up tomorrow morning. I booked on late, so from what I hear it'll be very hard to get a white box. Tempted to go green instead?

Gumpy on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I'm trying to remember when they usually announce the name/names for the new block. I know Theros they gave all the names at PAX East, so I'm kind of surprised we haven't at least heard the name for Huey yet.

EDIT: If you can't get White, Black also seems pretty good. But really I think the difference is pretty small. I didn't really notice any substantial success for any particular color.

Terrendos on
    I thought it was: "Return to Kamigawa"

APODionysusWearingglasses
    i think they said they didn't want to make announcements like that while they were promoting the new set, and i want to say they said they'd make announcements about huey during the JOU pro tour

but i might be confusing that for conspiracy or m15

TheLawinator
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    First Sunday of Jinx Pro Tour they're going to reveal the name and probably some art.

If they reveal the concept behind it I expect no less than ten pages worth of speculation from this thread.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/83831590639/im-not-sure-you-can-answer-this-yet-but-when-might-we

Taramoor on
    TheLawinator
    i don't remember if anti posted it or if it was someone else and she agreed but i think there's a really good chance that it's the theory that it's going to be sarkhan vol's home plane, since it's probably the tarkir trademarks

i think it makes a lot of sense to get a story that could be traced to nicol bolas, since he's supposed to be a big deal and all the new players like me that are coming in have never seen him

• ScisScis Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Well, my prerelease was pretty low on peeps. Pulled the following Sealed pool:
    Ajani's Presence
    Akroan Mastiff
    Akroan Skyguard
    Armament of Nyx
    Battlewise Valor
    Dawnbringer Charioteers
    Decorated Griffin
    Ephara's Warden
    Font of Vigor
    2x Harvestguard Alseids
    Leonin Snarecaster
    Mortal's Ardor
    Nyx-Fleece Ram
    2x Oreskos Swiftclaw
    Plea for Guidance
    Skybind
    Supply-Line Cranes
    Wingsteed Rider

Annul
    Chorus of the Tides
    Cloaked Siren
    Deepwater Hypnotist
    Fate Foretold
    Font of Fortunes
    Nimbus Naiad
    2x Thassa's Devourer
    Thassa's Ire
    Triton Cavalry
    Triton Shorestalker

Abhorrent Overlord
    Agent of Erebos
    Boon of Erebos
    Claim of Erebos
    Extinguish all Hope
    Feast of Dreams
    Felhide Petrifier
    Fleshmad Steed
    Grim Guardian
    Marshmist Titan
    Nyx Infusion
    Pharika's Chosen
    Returned Reveler
    Squelching Leeches

Akroan Conscriptor
    Borderland Minotaur
    Demolish
    Fearsome Temper
    2x Flamespeaker Adept
    Flurry of Horns
    Font of Ire
    Foreborn Oreads
    Gluttonous Cyclops
    Ill-Tempered Cyclops
    Impetuous Sunchaser
    Lightning Diadem
    Mogis's Warhound
    Ordeal of Purphoros
    Satyr Nyx-Smith
    Satyr Rambler
    Sigiled Skink
    Two-Headed Cerberus
    Wild Celebrants

Feral Invocation
    Golden Hind
    Humbler of Mortals
    2x Kruphix's Insight
    Mischief and Mayhem
    Oakheart Dryads
    Pheres-Band Tromper
    Ravenous Leucrocota
    Renowned Weaver
    Satyr Hedonist
    Setessan Oathsworn
    2x Staunch-Hearted Warrior

Akroan Hoplite
    Guardians of Meletis
    Horizon Chimera
    Revel of the Fallen God
    Underworld Cerberus
    Underworld Coinsmith

When I opened it, I thought it was pretty bad. Here's the deck I built:
    Ajani's Presence
    Akroan Mastiff
    Akroan Skyguard
    Armament of Nyx
    Battlewise Valor
    Dawnbringer Charioteers
    Mortal's Ardor
    Oreskos Swiftclaw x 2
    Supply-Line Cranes
    Wingsteed Rider

Fearsome Temper
    Flamespeaker Adept
    Lightning Diadem
    Mogis's Warhound
    Ordeal of Purphoros
    Satyr Rambler
    Two-Headed Cerberus

Boon of Erebos
    Feast of Dreams
    Nyx Infusion
    Akroan Hoplite
    Underworld Cerberus

8 Plains
    6 Mountain
    3 Swamp

I'm curious what other people would have done with it. I ended up going 3-1, taking second place, so I'm not going to complain. I thought that my pool for the Born prerelease was fantastic but I got the same score. I am forced to one of three possible conclusions:

1. I am awful at deciding what a good or bad pool is.
    2. I play the same regardless of the quality of my pool.
    3. Everyone else's pool has a much greater impact on my score than anything else. (At Born, lots of people had what I thought were pretty good pools, but most of them seemed pretty so-so here)

This is what I came up with from your pool.
    Ajani's Presence
    Akroan Mastiff
    Akroan skyguard
    Armament of Nyx
    Battlewise Valor
    Dawnbringer Charioteers
    Leonin Snarecaster
    Mortal's Ardor
    2x Oreskos Swiftblade
    Supply Line Cranes
    Wingsteed Rider

Akroan Conscriptor
    Fearsome Temper
    Flurry of Horns
    Font of Ire
    Forgeborn Oreads
    Impetuous Sunchaser
    Mogis's Warhound
    Ordeal of Purphoros
    Satyr Nyx-Smith
    Sigiled Skink

Akroan Hoplite

probably 10 plains / 7 mountains but I didn't really look at the mana spread.

Could also consider dropping one of the expensive things (Flurry of Horns) for a Satyr Rambler.
    Biggest thing I noticed is you have pretty bad mana in your deck. You've got double red and double white 3-drops while splashing a 3rd colour which is just asking to get colour screwed. And splashing a 3rd colour is generally pretty bad when you don't have any non basic land fixing, especially when you're base red/white where you generally want to be an aggro deck.

Anon the Felon
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    That's a fair critique. I splashed black because I was overestimating the power of Feast of Dreams and Nyx Infusion. Infusion did save me once, but Feast of Dreams sat in my hand and never got cast. The RB Cerberus though, I think was right to put in. It won me 2 games I would otherwise have lost purely because it's all but unblockable.

I did get mana screwed in most of the games I lost. I can't say for sure if making those changes would have won me more games, but it's definitely a good point. I think perhaps my opinion was colored by me opening such junk rares in my chosen color (white) and assuming I wouldn't have the raw power and number of necessary creatures to win without a third color.

edited April 2014
    @Scis, that's an awesome deck. I don't do much limited, but I did a long time ago. I often think I don't grasp the limited meta... But the deck you pieced together was really close to what I would have done.

Not sure it would have taken the day, since @Terrendos did get a pretty "meh" pool (and I'm sorry for that, considering we've read about folks who've gotten gods), but it seems a little better focused.

I never go tri color in limited. The mana base is just way too limited. I honestly try to push mono in limited sealed, unless the pool is totally fucked, it's often the better choice.

Edit: This needed some editing.

Anon the Felon on
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    I thought it was: "Return to Kamigawa"

Clearly Huey is "Return to Homelands"

Anon the Felon
    People bag on homelands, as someone who was actively playing when it was released, it wasn't that bad.

It was new cards, we were happy to get them.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    People bag on homelands, as someone who was actively playing when it was released, it wasn't that bad.

I don't know if I'd say that...
    It was new cards, we were happy to get them.

Fair enough. I mean, it wasn't as bad as Fallen Empires...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Anon the Felon
    edited April 2014
    No. No it was not. Fallen Empires was...

Sad.

Every deck was a forced deck back then.

Anon the Felon on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    No. No it was not. Fallen Empires was...

Sad.

Every deck was a forced deck back then.

Added bonus, in small Canadian towns where we were all addicted to magic, Arabian and Antiquities were vastly underproduced and we couldn't get any.

So imagine the mistakes we made when they announced we could get as many boxes of the new upcoming set as we wanted, and bonus, it was cheaper than every other set had been!

We bought so much of that set, like I'll still always have a fondness for it, because was one of my first sets, but oh man, even then , you could tell, some of these cards are just not like the others.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Anon the Felon
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Journey into Nyx is friggin fantastic. I cannot wait to draft this set

also Gary is just...unfair in 2 headed giant. Swinging games by 24 life every time you drop him is awesome.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Scenario, 2hg:
    we're sitting at 2 life after taking 6 from a guy's Grim Whatever, constellation each opponent loses 1 life
    I have 5 black devotion on board, they have blockers, I have an active Erebos, but they're at 7 life
    my brother looks at me and goes: "Hey, topdeck a Gary like a champ?'

I'm like, "Okay." Flip the top card of my deck onto the table

Gary for 14?

drp527KwoaruAnialos
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    in theros 2hg prerelease we lost to a pool with 3+ merchants, whips, and multiple return from the underworlds

I was probably the saltiest ive ever been at a magic game

7yh4xczljsym.png
    Gary is just straight up unfair in 2 headed giant. My deck was insane though, sporting Erebos, Dictate of Erebos, King Midas, multiple ways to give him intimidate, a silence the believers, and an underworld cerberus. My brother had the UW heroic deck Featuring Fabled Hero, Elspeth, Sage of Hours, and other awesome heroic cards. Shit was busted.

So.

I learned a valuable lesson the other night.

Boy Mills World went up against a slightly budgeted Esper Control deck. I had Ashiok on turn 3 (after a turn 2 Omenspeaker). I was on the play and this, was able to slip Ashiok in prior to Dissolve, to get some milling going.

Or so I thought.

I played Ashiok and plused him/her, stealing an AEtherling! Huzzah! The dream!

I had a Psychic Strike in hand, so kept that mana up to counter any DSpheres/Downfall (opponent never drew one... or, as it turned out, wisely never played one).

I plus Ashiok again.

Following turn, I minus Ashiok to put the AEtherling in play with plenty of Islands at the ready, feeling like a boss. Game is MINE!

Next turn, opponent casts downfall targeting the AEtherling. I blink the 'ling because who cares... a single fog ain't saving him. AEtherling returns... but on my opponents side of the board! I'm confused and he messages me to read the card closely.

So I do.

"Return it to the battlefield under its OWNERS control..."

Son of a bitch.

I've played with 'ling before. It's a one of in my RU Chimera Control deck. I just... never put that together in my head.

Needless to say I lost that game.

Lesson: never put AEtherling in play off an Ashiok. Ever.

TheLawinator
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yeah, stealing an Aetherling is a no-go either.

On the other hand, exiling Aetherling with Ashiok is a good way to avoid problems with him, even if his owner is trying to pull some Aetherling/Whip shenanigans.

Yeah, getting AEtherling under Ashiok is still nice, since no Elixer or Whip can bring him back. That win con is gone for good.

It was just a harsh, but worthwhile, lesson for me to learn about paying very close attention to text. Now I know to not do that for cards like Ling or Obzedat. I was frustrated in the moment, but it was a great learning moment and further exemplifies the awesome complexity of Magic that I love. There's always more to learn.

Haven't been playing much this week ( or the next, or possibly the one after), though. Because as much as I'm loving Magic, Dark Souls 2 is priority 1 right now.

That was definitely a painful mistake.

Also, the lesson is not: "never steal an aetherling." It's,"never blink a stolen aetherling."

Remember, he was spending a downfall on his own creature, if you'd just let it resolve, your Ashiok would have more than earned its place.

APODionysus
    edited April 2014
    Well I guess that depends on if you think/know he's running Elixer.

If he's running Elixer, you definitely don't want it in the graveyard.

Edit: although, that's a downfall that's not going to Mill Jace or Ashiok or Aberration..,,

Hmmm ...

Edit 2: Esper has SO much removal, baiting on piece for a deck that isn't really beating down anyway may not be a value over the Elixer chance...

in Game 1, I probably put the Ling in play and try to beat down and bait a Downfall or Verdict. Usually they don't run Elixer in the main..

Games 2-3, theres a better chance of Elixer (if they have it, it's certainly in against Mill) so I'd probably be content with leaving it Exiles.

Of course there's always the chance of some disgusting Banishing Light on the Ling, Revoke on the Light play... but that's too insane to plan for. If they pull that off, you tip your cap

APODionysus on
    edited April 2014
    Opportunity cost, it's a thing.

Anon the Felon on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Or, just always leave it exiled with ashiok. Just do that.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    Anon the FelonAPODionysusDaebunzThe Betgirl
    Certain truth in that, I've stolen an Aetherling once... But I did it to "win harder". I wouldn't have, if I wasn't already in a position to win.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    yeah all ashiok should be looking to do vs a deck like that is exile it bit by bit

ashiok is generally not that great against those decks and would rather be up against a midrangey deck like monsters though, but its not totally useless for the exile

7yh4xczljsym.png
    Anon the Felon
    combo I was not happy to see on my opponent's side:

Turn 1 - Dakra Mystic
    Turn 2 - Spirit of the Labyrinth

• SedraxisSedraxis Kooloo LimpahRegistered User regular
    Reminder that King Macar, the Gold-Cursed + Siren Song Lyre sucks to go up against when you're playing green/white and have no instant-speed removal aside from Reprisal.

Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
    3DS: 0232-8293-7683
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    In both of my last two prereleases I've picked blue and ended up playing R/W and G/B. Clearly if I want to actually play blue I should be choosing any color but blue.

On the positive side, it is very difficult to cast Setessan Tactics and then lose.

admanb on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    breigokingofeternity.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So wow. I just came back from the best prerelease I've ever been to.

I would say more than half the people there all chose white. They pulled, collectively, zero Athreoses. I went green, because hydras. To which, in addition to the Hero's Bane promo card, I pulled from my packs three more hydras. And two Humblers of Mortals. And a Boon Satyr. And the Bow of Nylea. This must be emphasized: 4 of the 5 rares in my regular boosters were green. That happened. And then Timmy just Timmyed all over the heathen non-Timmys, as Timmy intended.

Also pulled a Karametra's Acolyte in each of my Theros packs which was really useful becuase hydras that want mana for hydras. Guys I had a prerelease where I made seven 7/7 hydras. Twice.

And then I won a bunch of prize packs and pulled three more hydras.

In conclusion: Hydraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastimmy

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
    LasbrookWiseManTobesAnon the FelonThe Betgirlsilence1186Butler For Life #1KwoaruLord PalingtontuggaOghulkDaebunzTerrendosAnialosDis'Kelordrp527Theodore FlooseveltSedraxisWearingglassesElaro
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    breigokingofeternity.jpg
    Hm... Is this an instant combo with Aurelia?

• KharnorKharnor Registered User regular
    HAIL HYDRA

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    hey I can use Vorel on Bad Gideon when I use his 0 right?

2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.