As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Pack Rat Fever (BOTG Sealed League, see pg 20)

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    If they are legal in a format you have no interest in, why would you possibly object to that format opening up?

As to the matter of the power of Legacy cards warping the format.

FxCZRLa.jpg

This is the breakdown of decklists in the past two months in Legacy and Modern respectively. Percentage-wise the breakdown is almost identical, you have a few points difference, Control and Combo percentages between the two are reversed, which is likely due in part to Force of Will's influence making itself known.

It's also worth pointing out that the Legacy breakdown has half the sample size of the Modern breakdown, but is almost identical in terms of balance.

It is simply a format with more options, and has checks and balances that keeps the broken cards you're referring to in check.

Kelor on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I don't really care what happens within legacy/vintage, I am just of the opinion that eternal formats are bad and shouldn't really be supported by wotc because old magic is the worst

Which is a spiteful nonsense position but that is how I feel re: vintage/legacy

unrelated: rare dual lands are a tool of the great satan

2x39jD4.jpg
  • DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    Couple big things from my life in mtg this weekend:

- did a live stream of our local ptq in Edmonton (theros block limited). Was super fun, 8 rds of Swiss sealed deck and top 8 draft. Going in, I assumed the format would be much slower, but aggressive rw heroic decks still showed a lot of dominance. My favorite deck we covered was a guy who played essentially rg tokens - had copies of xengos pwalker, revel of the Fallen god, fated intervention, flurry of horns, and hall of triumph. Watching the guy play the hall on green then following up a turn or 2 later with surprise centaurs on the opponent's end step and main phase revel led to some of the biggest blowouts. Top card of the day HAD to be ajani's presence though. Card is sick in limited.

- local PT champ Shaun Macleran and local grinder Andrew Huska faced off in the semis of GP Minneapolis. So sweet to see friends making it on the big stage. Shame to see Curly (Andrew's nickname) lose in the finals, but Alberta magic is making a splash. Expect big things from the little province that could!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    The only thing I like about legacy is that I can play belcher and ride the RNG to victory

I didn't know people actually gave a shit about vintage still though

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Vintage is... less absurd than you would expect. It's not much more combo-heavy than Legacy, because while combo decks are faster, so are hatedecks. It does have its spikes and there are plenty of games that end -- easily -- on turn one, but there are also plenty of games that open with a flurry of free counterspells and then settle down into a grind. The main issue with Vintage is that it's not so much more interesting than Legacy to justify the extra thousands of dollars of investment, though ironically most Vintage events end up being cheaper than Legacy because there's a big trend for 15-proxy events.

That said, Vintage Masters exists to print Legacy cards waaaaay more than the P9.

admanb on
  • SedraxisSedraxis Kooloo LimpahRegistered User regular
    Reminder that the Reserved List is evil.

Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
    3DS: 0232-8293-7683
  • AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    I was thinking this the other day but do you guys think Wizards would actually print any of those cards today if there was no Reserved List?

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Yes, in supplemental products. AKA there would be about 6000% more dual lands out there.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    So Boros Elite into Precinct Captain into Big Kitty into Bestow EoCB into flashed Dictate of Helios is a pretty good curve

Boros Elite into 2x Boros Elite into Spear is also kinda hilarious, swinging for 12 on turn 3 isn't something that a lot of decks can pull off

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    If the reserved list wasn't a think I could get a Sliver Queen for less than $40.

So fuck the reserved list.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    If the reserved list wasn't a think I could get a Sliver Queen for less than $40.

So fuck the reserved list.

But think of all the collectors whose portfolios are 100% in Dual Lands and Sliver Queens! You could bankrupt these people!

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i have a question, o magicians

let's say I'm playing with this deck (spoiler: I am, it's been pretty fun so far):
    Creatures:
    4 Rakdos Cackler
    4 Firedrinker Satyr
    4 Akroan Crusader
    4 Ash Zealot
    3 Arena Athlete
    3 Everflame Eidolon
    4 Prophetic Flamespeaker

4 Titan's Strength
    4 Madcap
    4 Dragon Mantle
    2 Hall of Triumph

18 mountain
    2 mutavault

how the f do i sideboard

especially against u/w: what should I be doing? If it's already designed to go pretty dang fast, do i... find a way to go faster? I guess I just don't really know where to start; I'd thought maybe Arena Athlete would be an easy drop, but if Nyx-fleece Ram starts coming out of the board he seems pretty solid again

maybe have bestow (warhound) to bring in as opposed to madcap?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    You definitely have to have a couple of Chandra, Pyromaster in your sideboard for that matchup

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Skullcrack is a good card to have, to prevent the most concerning part of Sphinx Rev to burn - the life gain.

Eidolon of the Great Revel vs other swarm decks.

Harnass by Force against green decks.

Maybe font of ire?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    K, these def make sense to me as things to include or at least try

I like the thought of Harness actually, yeah, I was at first a little doubtful because I was misremembering it at 4cmc

font seems hella clunky, but is clunky in a way that makes me want it to be secretly a good idea

maybe purph would stretch my 1-drops further into the game?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    I'm trying to think of something you can sb vs nyx fleece ram. Chandra's phoenix gets over top, but that'll be something to be concerned about out of white decks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
    now that mana confluence is a thing you can also splash white or green without playing a shitty slow tapland manabase

granting you access to boros charm/chained and ghor clan/domri respectively

7yh4xczljsym.png
    Yeah, mana confluence and shocklands. Shocklands are definitely good

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    i have a question, o magicians

let's say I'm playing with this deck (spoiler: I am, it's been pretty fun so far):
    Creatures:
    4 Rakdos Cackler
    4 Firedrinker Satyr
    4 Akroan Crusader
    4 Ash Zealot
    3 Arena Athlete
    3 Everflame Eidolon
    4 Prophetic Flamespeaker

4 Titan's Strength
    4 Madcap
    4 Dragon Mantle
    2 Hall of Triumph

18 mountain
    2 mutavault

how the f do i sideboard

especially against u/w: what should I be doing? If it's already designed to go pretty dang fast, do i... find a way to go faster? I guess I just don't really know where to start; I'd thought maybe Arena Athlete would be an easy drop, but if Nyx-fleece Ram starts coming out of the board he seems pretty solid again

maybe have bestow (warhound) to bring in as opposed to madcap?

Legion loyalist is pretty nifty, hasty 1/1 with some neat battalion effects. Maybe mugging in the sideboard to combat the rams?

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Against UW I would want to bring in some verdict-proof threats. Sticking to mono-red, Hammer of Purphoros is your best option.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    The decklist for the Modern Event Deck.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/299a

Try not to hurt yourself laughing.

oh h*ck
    Turkson wrote: »

too late

7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited May 2014
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Against UW I would want to bring in some verdict-proof threats. Sticking to mono-red, Hammer of Purphoros is your best option.

I would definitely play hammer sb (like 2 probably) and splashing either optimal color gives you pretty powerful tools at no real harm to the manabase

skullcracks always good too as I think was mentioned above

also going white gets you wear/tear in addition to b. charm/chained

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png

holy shit what a mess

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

that deck is worth maybe $80

and what the fuck even is the deck

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    How much are they charging for it anyway?

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    What? Don't you guys see it?

You play tokens, and gain life.

What? Don't you guys see it?

You play tokens, and gain life.

if only there were a deck that did that

that had sisters

and maybe?

maybe soul!

edited May 2014
    well yes thanks for pointing that out that its a token deck

but im pretty sure a questionably put together BW tokens list that is worth less than the MSRP does not bode well

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • ScisScis Registered User regular
    Deck seems fine to me. It's got pretty much every sub-$20 staple for the deck archetype (so basically everything except lands and thoughtseizes, maybe SoFaI). It's also worth about twice MSRP at current prices, not even close to less than MSRP. Sure some of the card choices are unusual, but Wizards has always thrown in a few non-standard cards in event decks.

I honestly don't know if the people who are disappointed with it were actually expecting multiple fetches or what?

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    TCG has that list at lightly played for 160 bucks. It's still a hefty discount. No auriok champions is pretty annoying though.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    TCG has that list at lightly played for 160 bucks. It's still a hefty discount. No auriok champions is pretty annoying though.

did you use arabian nights city of brass

because elspeth is 30-35 and the sword is worth like 20

p. sure nothing else is over 5 bucks

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Like half of that deck is from Innistrad, too, it's not like it's going to be hard to put that together yourself

Out of sheer curiosity I tossed it into ChannelFireball, it's like only like $200 or so buying the singles. On top of that I have no fucking idea why you'd run Isolated Chapel over Godless Shrine or for that matter why you'd run Honor of the Pure over basically any other anthem considering that you're running Tidehollow Scuttler and Myr tokens that won't benefit from Honor of the Pure at all. Hell, Path of Bravery even fits the minor lifegain theme they're apparently going for.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Then in a surprising twist, Modern Event Deck takes the next GP! ( Police then jump to investigate what killed every magic player besides the guy with the Modern Event Deck)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Like half of that deck is from Innistrad, too, it's not like it's going to be hard to put that together yourself

Out of sheer curiosity I tossed it into ChannelFireball, it's like only like $200 or so buying the singles. On top of that I have no fucking idea why you'd run Isolated Chapel over Godless Shrine or for that matter why you'd run Honor of the Pure over basically any other anthem considering that you're running Tidehollow Scuttler and Myr tokens that won't benefit from Honor of the Pure at all. Hell, Path of Bravery even fits the minor lifegain theme they're apparently going for.

A minor nitpick, but Tidehollow Sculler does indeed benefit from HotP. However, Tidehollow does not play well with Kataki.

I guess what really bothers me about this deck is not the theme of tokens. It's that Modern is bloody expensive to get into and this deck does not help with a buy in, or give more availability to the really expensive cards that prevent many from getting into the format (i.e Noble Heirarch [$57], Bitterblossom [$47], fetchlands [$40-100]).

oh h*ck
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    So I should just continue ignoring products with Modern in the title then? K, good to know.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Seriously, Caves of Koilos?

Just man up and put Godless Shrines in there. They're currently cheaper than they'll be for a good long time.

They're so terrified of pissing of dealers, this deck was never going to be substantial.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Christ guys. I'm disappointed too. I think they could have and should have done more but you're all being so damned hyperbolic.

It's a two hundred dollar deck for less then half that they gets you about half way towards either tokens or soul sisters. Yes it really should have had at least one bitterblossom but you people act like they spite in your damn faces.

And godless shrines? An easy addition they anybody making the leap from standard could make. That's why it's not a shrine. That's why the duress arnt thoughtsiezes.

Quire.jpg
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    well yes thanks for pointing that out that its a token deck

but im pretty sure a questionably put together BW tokens list that is worth less than the MSRP does not bode well

That... uh... was the joke.

Someone said "what even is this?" I was all, "it's simple and dumb!"

You can lighten up, you know. Won't kill you.

Anon the Felon on
This discussion has been closed.