As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] - Blizzard's CCG - League matches must be complete by Sunday night!

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I played against a mage in arena that played two angry chickens against me. A class that I'm pretty sure has no way of increasing a minions health. I dread to think what her draft options were.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i would presume that expansions would have expansion boosters, otherwise it's going to be needlessly hard to get new cards

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    When you have pretty much every card already, opening packs is a disappointing chore.

#welloffproblems

Wouldn't you just hold unopened packs until new cards are available? Or are the contents set at creation?
    They haven't discussed how that will work yet.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    When you have pretty much every card already, opening packs is a disappointing chore.

#welloffproblems
    Wouldn't you just hold unopened packs until new cards are available? Or are the contents set at creation?
    They've said the cards are set when you open the pack.
    Invictus wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Jurg wrote: »
    Just got into Hearthstone. Got 5 classes to level 10 so far. Tried the Arena and went 0-3. My fiancee jumped on my account and went 4-3, her personal best being 6-3.

People have told me that to win in the Arena you just need to know all the cards you're up against. It seems as though there are a metric shit-ton of cards to worry about, many of which are superior to others. Being a Blizzard game, I'd like to assume that there is a lot of balance in the common, uncommon, rare, legandary tree. Am I wrong?

In short, help a fellow new PA player out here boys. :smiley:

Trump's arena tier list is a good start.

You are wrong about balance among the rarities. Some commons are great in arena, some rares and epics are total garbage. Legendary is pretty much great but doesn't come up all the time.

I actually find that surprising about the rares/epics. Is it just that the garbage cards are too situational or need other cards to combo them well? Any examples I might research?

I'll check out the link too.

Angry Chicken is a rare, and it is a very bad card. I think you just ought to think that among a rarity, how good a card is varies along the whole spectrum. Various arena rankings more or less bear this out, I think.
    Angry Chicken is about living the dream.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    There's also the fact we probably won't be getting new cards for a year+, the game isn't even out of beta yet.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    can you silence a priest out of shadowform?

cause that sucked

• Options
    edited March 2014
    a year is way too long to wait to introduce new cards to keep a card game healthy, and they've indicated beta will be over in less than 2 months

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    can you silence a priest out of shadowform?

cause that sucked

In Soviet Russia, priests shadowform silence out of you.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Just got into Hearthstone. Got 5 classes to level 10 so far. Tried the Arena and went 0-3. My fiancee jumped on my account and went 4-3, her personal best being 6-3.

People have told me that to win in the Arena you just need to know all the cards you're up against. It seems as though there are a metric shit-ton of cards to worry about, many of which are superior to others. Being a Blizzard game, I'd like to assume that there is a lot of balance in the common, uncommon, rare, legandary tree. Am I wrong?

In short, help a fellow new PA player out here boys. :smiley:

@""MNC Dover"‌
    Trumps guide is pretty popular, but he plays a certain style that's all about card advantage. Some people may disagree with some of his rankings
    http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/arena-strategy/513-trumps-arena-tier-list-neutral-commons

Also, this is a good guide for all the classes
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AifXEOqTcGcLdFVvWk1GRjVJTHJUaTVLcGViR1RRTFE&gid=15

Last but not least, this site has some good info but I do not agree with his tier rankings for cards as much
    http://freethnkr.com/hearthstone-tips/

• Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    So someone (apologies, but I've forgotten the name) posted a few weeks ago about an "Angry Warrior" deck and I was like, "I dunno, I like my charge Warrior just fine." But it's a new month and I wanted something different to play (plus I finally got 2 Frothing Berserkers).

My mind has been changed. Wow does this deck burst for damage. The funniest part? Watching aggro decks run right past your Warsong Commander because MUST KILL FASTER only for their mood to change completely once the pain train leaves the station. Sure, you're going to bite me for a couple points a round but are you ready for a return helping of 15-20 all at once, all for you?

tl;dr kill the ####-ing Warsong Commander because his finger is on the nuke.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Okay, Blizzard needs to reduce the turn timer, or incrementally speed it up every time if a player is taking too damn long.

• Options
    Last night I enountered a frost mage in arena and it really showed whats wrong with it and why it's not exactly good. It was anoying, and frustrating, and my characters couldn't do much. He even managed to kill a yeti with a double ice lance combo. But late game kept coming, I had card advantage, and he hadn't really done anything. He could stall, but couldn't finish and catch up on the board. I played smart, never over extending, and eventually just whittled him down. Many of the cards don't actually do anything, or enough damage for their cost. Many times it's "Spend X Mana, Stall X enemies for one turn" I put down one yeti, and got 4 of your cards out of the game that you spent freezing him before you finally pinged him down.

• Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    So someone (apologies, but I've forgotten the name) posted a few weeks ago about an "Angry Warrior" deck and I was like, "I dunno, I like my charge Warrior just fine." But it's a new month and I wanted something different to play (plus I finally got 2 Frothing Berserkers).

My mind has been changed. Wow does this deck burst for damage. The funniest part? Watching aggro decks run right past your Warsong Commander because MUST KILL FASTER only for their mood to change completely once the pain train leaves the station. Sure, you're going to bite me for a couple points a round but are you ready for a return helping of 15-20 all at once, all for you?

tl;dr kill the ####-ing Warsong Commander because his finger is on the nuke.

Double Enraged Charging Worgens is the best feeling ever.

• Options
    any time your opponent drops a card like warsong commander you should pause what you're doing, think for a moment, and go "now what dirty trick is he planning on pulling with that"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    What's the best way to complete the "cast 40 spells" daily?

Play an unchallenged Antonidas and just launch fiery death balls to every single minion he puts out for sacrifice, no matter how small.

nuke, ant, etc..

:disagree:

Reroll the quest.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Teriferin wrote: »
    MMMig wrote: »
    What's the best way to complete the "cast 40 spells" daily?

Play an unchallenged Antonidas and just launch fiery death balls to every single minion he puts out for sacrifice, no matter how small.

nuke, ant, etc..

:disagree:

Reroll the quest.

Make rogue deck full of cheap spells, cast till you run out of cards in hand in casual then leave game.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    Okay, Blizzard needs to reduce the turn timer, or incrementally speed it up every time if a player is taking too damn long.
    Seriously, I have to play with it alt tabbed and reading forums or whatever because people take sooo long.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Including my full hand mulligan, I have drawn 9 cards this game: Coldlight Oracle, Holy Nova x3, Temple Enforcer x3, Stampeding Kodo. Whyyyyyyyy.

Oh good, Shadow Word: Death.

• Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    Just popping in to say Misdirecting your opponent's Deathwing into his face for lethal is the best.

• Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Just popping back in to say actually maybe the best thing is Freeze Trapping an Innervated Senjin. And then turn 5, freeze trapping the (innervated) 6-mana Senjin again. I love < rank 20 ladder.

kraughmar on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    kraughmar wrote: »
    Just popping back in to say actually maybe the best thing is Freeze Trapping an Innervated Senjin. And then turn 5, freeze trapping the 6-mana Senjin again. I love < rank 20 ladder.

Do the freeze traps stack?

Also, I had a beastly Paladin arena deck today.

Sadly, I only went 7-3, but thankfully my last game was awesome.

It was drop Imp Master into an unfriendly board, or Deathwing (I had lethal if Deathwing got to attack). I was playing a Druid, so I took a gamble that he had no hard removal, because Naturalize sucks.

He casts Mark of the Wild on my Deathwing, and it took me a second, but I figured out why. The "nooooooooooooooo" I emitted when The Black Knight dropped was very, very loud.

sig.gif
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Jurg wrote: »
    kraughmar wrote: »
    Just popping back in to say actually maybe the best thing is Freeze Trapping an Innervated Senjin. And then turn 5, freeze trapping the 6-mana Senjin again. I love < rank 20 ladder.

Do the freeze traps stack?

You can't have 2 of the same secret out at the same time. If you mean, does the +2 cost stack, I don't think so IIRC. Pretty sure when you re-play the Senjin, you see a 4 mana 3/5 taunter on the board, so it goes back up to 6, not 8.

• Options
    Mana cost increases (Freezing Trap) and decreases (Shadowstep) are permanent.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Dang silence is really powerful. I was playing against a priest and he put down 2 of those guys who have strength equal to their health. I silenced them both into 0/5 dudes and he immediately surrendered

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Nope.

Triple Leeroy, for example, is 8 mana, not 6.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options

Wait, so if I play say leeyroy, then shadowstep him twice, and then had enough mana to play brewmasters, the cost less from shadowstep would still apply after I played brew on him? Due to mana restraints I don't think this is possible, but say you had 20 mana to spend, and all 4 brewmasters and 2 shadowsteps. He would cost 0 after brewing?

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Seriously, I have to play with it alt tabbed and reading forums or whatever because people take sooo long.

It's my understanding the turn timer IS reduced every time they run the clock out. You just need to alt-tab anyway because that's still too long being as you can't do anything on their turn.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    It is reduced, but only if it goes all the way to time... and all the way to time doesn't necessarily mean much given that rushed plays into card animations can last quite a while, especially later on. You can think until the fuse starts, begin playing then, and still give your opponent 10 seconds of dead time with the fuse burning at zero length, and do the same next turn (I mean, until you run out of cards I guess).

Even then, I think it goes like 90-30-15? One ridiculously long turn into one obnoxiously long turn into a decent turn length seems blech. I'd just prefer a more standard, "you have X seconds of bonus time, turns are from 15-30 seconds each all the time" system.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Games are still way quicker than say Magic, anyway, though. They're just a little more non-interactive too. They could probably improve it, I suppose.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    It's quicker, but it's also a game where alt-tabbing between turns is basically the default and a majority of turns there are very few, if any, real "options" to think about.

It's also sort of frustrating being told "just alt tab" because, as metagamey as it is, there's some valuable information to be gleaned from staying in the game and seeing what cards your opponent is highlighting/whether he's playing the card he topdecked or a card in his hand; this value is even stronger when playing priest. I don't feel super comfortable when the default method of play is to limit my own information for convenience.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Imp Master + Feral Spirit + Bloodlust = <3<3<3<3<3

sig.gif
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I never alt tab between turns and it's maybe every ten games that I get annoyed with a player being slow and at least half of those are just deliberate trolls. I'm definitely against anything that makes turns shorter. Playing Miracle rogue runs into the turn timer enough as it is.

Grobian on
  • Options
    RRRRAAAAAGH I'M THE GREATEST

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MummBrahMummBrah Registered User regular
    Completely trashed in today's match, that was so rough

I am unbelievably salty right now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Man, sometimes people just get the most ridiculous chain of top decks.

I'm up against a priest as a druid in arena, it's going to be his turn 10 next, for mind control! He's been saving a card. I arrange it so I have only two minions left, a druid of the claw and a gurubashi zerker at 4 health.

If he MC's the druid of the claw, I can kill it with the zerker. If he MC's the zerker, I can kill it with the druid of the claw. Then I'll put out one or more of the big minions in my hand - druid of the claw, ogre, mercenary. I have a sizeable hand advantage so his MC doing a 2 for 1 isn't going to destroy me, and I'll still have the tempo advantage. I also have a large hand andvantage as he's not been playing very well.

Except then he top decks healing circle, which allows him to both MC the zerker AND heal it (for 0 mana) outside the range at which I can kill it.

On my turn I play a fatty. On his turn he top decks a shadow word death which kills my fatty, then kills my druid of the claw with the gurubashi, then heals it.

On my turn I play another fatty. Even if he heals first, my fatty will kill his fatty. Then he top decks inner fire, doubling the health of his fatty! Now I'm looking at something like an 11-14 gurubashi zerker. He kills my fatty.

At this point things are looking grim. I play my last druid of the claw in charge mode and go for his face! He ignores the obvious tell, and kills my druid with his fatty, then heals the fatty.

This leaves him at 5 health and my bite + hero power take him down. I was getting pretty sad, watching my sure win slip away from me :( He made another obvious play mistake which kept me from losing, but man!

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Barring extreme levels of luck I don't think its possible for a warlock to beat a hunter in the arena

edit: looking at my stats I'm aimlessly bitching, my warlock has a 50% win rate against hunters in arena (4 wins 4 losses)

stats yo

rembrandtqeinstein on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Good top decks just means they drew a shitty starting hand :P I had a game yesterday that went

T1 Coin + Amani Berserker
    T2 Mad Bomber
    T3 Injured Blademaster + Circle of Healing
    T4 Injured Blademaster
    T5 Holy Nova
    T6 Argent Commander

Maybe my fastest priest win ever! Would have been a turn faster if Bomber had hit my berserker or my opponent, but can't complain.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

But I'm sure that you play super quickly, right? All of the time?

The current fuse system is the lesser of available evils. Yes, people troll you with the timer (I've been slow-roll killed & had players slow-roll concede, though only once or twice), but people would find a way to troll you with the timer regardless of where you set it.

Complex interactions & math in quite a few situations require the full timer to work out. Sometimes these situations happen back to back. The game has no way of telling how simple or complex a decision tree is, so it errs on the side of caution and gives players the necessary time every turn to do something complex.

If you don't have the patience to sit through another person's turn, you probably shouldn't be playing a turn-based game.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    I think one thing that would mitigate a lot of the luck factor would be preventing someone from playing 2 of the same cards in a turn.

• Options
    Why would they do that?

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.