As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick and Morty] and Mr. Poopy Butthole

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I just rewatched the beginning of the season 3 premier tonight. I remembered the insect-beings calling Rick the smartest mammal in the universe the last time I watched it, but now he's the smartest *man* in the universe. Am I crazy, or was this changed? I admit it doesn't make much sense for it to have been retconned since it was aired, but... man, memory is a weird thing.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It gets said twice. Once as mammal and once as man. I remember the second time catching my notice cause I started wondering if he's both the smartest mammal and the smartest of all male equivalent genders.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I just rewatched the beginning of the season 3 premier tonight. I remembered the insect-beings calling Rick the smartest mammal in the universe the last time I watched it, but now he's the smartest *man* in the universe. Am I crazy, or was this changed? I admit it doesn't make much sense for it to have been retconned since it was aired, but... man, memory is a weird thing.

They did:

Early on in the Shoney's.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    What in the

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Another thing I noticed: the two figures waving to a green portal that Bug-Fillion mentions before they "leave" the Shoney's go bright and disappear between Rick's memory of where he was on 9/11 and his favorite sports blooper. That might be the place where he substitutes the real memory with fake ones.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    It gets said twice. Once as mammal and once as man. I remember the second time catching my notice cause I started wondering if he's both the smartest mammal and the smartest of all male equivalent genders.

I think it's just so the dialogue doesn't get repetitive. If he's the smartest mammal, that would also make him the smartest man.

• Options

I think it's just so the dialogue doesn't get repetitive. If he's the smartest mammal, that would also make him the smartest man.

Being the smartest mammal wouldn't mean he's the smartest man. Plenty of non mammalian aliens out there with men. I assume anyway.

But he's apparently the top of his gender and species class. Good for him.

• Options
    Kilgore TroutKilgore Trout Registered User regular

Are the bug people gender neutral? Is Birdperson's species mammal or avian? What about Cronenbergs? They have human, mantis, shark, cactus and dinosaur! We need a botanical taxonomist up in here!

• Options

Being the smartest mammal wouldn't mean he's the smartest man. Plenty of non mammalian aliens out there with men. I assume anyway.

But he's apparently the top of his gender and species class. Good for him.

Man and woman don't make a whole lot of sense as descriptors for non-hominids. Yeah, they're translated to English so it's not gibberish, but I would be more willing to accept it's a fault of intergalactic translation than a one-to-one association with beings from a different evolutionary timeline.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    A quick theory. The universe they jump to in Rick potion number 9 has the branch point being the successful curing of the Crononburgs. Implying before that the two universes were identical. And Rick's memories with for example bird person seem to bear this out. There don't appear to be contradictions. But our Rick claims to be unique in rejecting the council, which would be untrue if our Rick could find a perfect replica of his own universe.

My theory is that not only is there infinite Ricks. There are also an infinite amount councils with a 'unique' Rick who rejected their council. And therefore an infinite number of councils that were either destroyed or not destroyed as a result of their unique Rick.

So when Rick jumped universes he was infact jumping to a different cluster of universes with its own council. And the Rick he replaced was that clusters c137.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    When i was in high school i worked at a Shoney's for 2 years or so.
    I was even the Shoney Bear for kids nights.

Needless to say i was quite taken back by the opening to this episode.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I wouldn't read too much into the infinite timelines thing. The show 99% of the time acts like there are a lot universes but rarely ever actually covers the consequences of infinite universes.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's exactly the kind of show where they can BS an excuse for just about plot occurrence, so don't get too wrapped up in it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
  • Options
    It is important to note that Jerry is by almost any standard both a happier and better person than Rick. Even with the developments in this season premier, he'll still probably be happier than Rick.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    It is important to note that Jerry is by almost any standard both a happier and better person than Rick. Even with the developments in this season premier, he'll still probably be happier than Rick.

I dont know about better he can be pretty shitty. He has the capacity to improve though and Rick simply wont allow himself to change

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Camu can do but Sartre is smartre.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Rick has literally killed billions if not trillions of people. Usually just on a whim. Rick also endangers everyone around him constantly.

Jerry's not a guy to aspire to, he's a selfish needy incompetent, but the bar's pretty low.

Let's put it another way. When push comes to shove, Rick is willing to abandon everyone including his own daughter. (ALL of his own daughters, in fact, all infinity of them.)

Jerry will at least ineffectually try to save her some of the time. (And on a few occasions, he actually successfully saves her.)

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    What about...

None of them are good people, or people to emulate?

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    None of us live day in, day out with a fucked up Q with an uncaring god complex. Rick could literally unmake Jerry with whatever little doodad he had in his lab coat. How do you even fight someone like that?

Still, I think it's human nature to still raise a middle finger and say "Fuck you, universe/god/demon/unknowable horror!". At least most of us have the capacity for something like that, even if it ultimately is ineffectual, you said it for you.

To win over the audience, Jerry would basically tell Rick, "I put up with your shit and allow you to live here because it makes Beth happy. There are other Jerrys that didnt stay with Beth but I did, because, fuck you, I love her. I don't need to tell you to go to hell, because you're already living it."

Would it change Rick's world view? absolutely not, but he'd say his piece for himself and at the end that's all that mattered. Fuck you Rick, my world doesnt revolve around you.
    It would require Jerry to grow a spine and hold to his convictions, and not waffle under the meekest pressure otherwise. It'd also require him to have built up family karma and respect for the past 20 years. Sure, he's provided for Beth's medical schooling and made sure Summer and Morty never went without, but being a Dad requires more than just a day job.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Like, it is equally likely that our Rick's original universe didn't end in some tragic outcome but that Beth simply realized how toxic her father is and kicked him out. And all the members of that universe sans Rick are ultimately happier for it.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    What about...

Summer's okay.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    What about...

Summer's okay.

She willingly worked for Satan.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    What about...

Summer's okay.

Only because he was an equivalent evil to working for Apple or McDonalds.

• Options
    What about...

Summer's okay.

Hey he paid a decent wage that's better than most.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    What about...

Summer's okay.

I think Summer is the most likeable (possibly relatable) character. She's driven by normal teenage/young adult motivations like popularity and trying to normalize aspects of her family life. But she's also the most empathic while still somewhat of a realist (as typified by the race war, the car incident, Tiny Rick, etc. - she usually tries to do what's good for her first and then the greater good, until the situation demonstrates otherwise). Also, she's not as latently psychopathic as Morty.

She worked for Satan since he was a decent boss and his product/service was not all that different from myriad other products/services that more surreptitiously ruin people's lives. Basically the Homer and Hank Scorpio relationship, except Hank Scorpio never turned on Homer.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Most of the questions in this thread can be summarized as don't worry about it, Morty!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Most of the questions in this thread can be summarized as don't worry about it, Morty!

100. 100 more posts morty, 9 new threads. Til we get that szechuan sauce.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    What about...

Summer's okay.

I think Morty is fine. You calln pull individual moments of shittiness but I think that just comes from being a teenager with the ear of a god. He for sure wants to be a good person and makes a legitimate attempt to be better. I think thats more than you can say for the rest.

Other than Summer of course. Shes alright.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Morty used to be better, but between his participation in the Purge and in the latest episode
    his attempted murder of Rick
    , I'd say he's crossed some lines you can't really come back from.

Ie Rick's a terrible influence on him.

Summer is by far the most moral person on the show. (Well, besides Bird Person.)

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    But even Bird Person has committed numerous atrocities.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    But even Bird Person has committed numerous atrocities.

*Phoenix Person

• Options
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Morty used to be better, but between his participation in the Purge and in the latest episode

Summer is by far the most moral person on the show. (Well, besides Bird Person.)

Okay, okay, but here me out:
    Would killing Rick really be a moral wrong?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

(why are we spoilering these???)
    I'm inclined to say that yes...yes it would be.

Bear in mind the conversation between Morty and Birdperson in Get Schwifty:

Morty: "Birdperson, you always stick up for Rick, but he doesn't care about anyone but himself. He doesn't think about the consequences of anything he does."

Birdperson: "And as a result, he has the power to save or destroy entire worlds."

By Rick being Rick, he is capable of doing what needs to be done...and sometimes, what needs to be done is to destroy a universe or throw up your hands and walk away from an "unsolvably" broken universe.

Also, I feel that Beth is one of the more moral individuals in the show. Summer gets brainwashed into joining the Headism cult and she turns her back on Nancy (although, apparently they're friends again since she texts Summer at the end of S3:E1).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

Regardless of the consequences of killing Rick, Morty's intentions in that moment are not moral--he's just upset that Rick is calling him stupid (and generally suffering from emotional whiplash as to whether Rick cares about him or his family).

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    What about...

Summer's okay.

Satan's kill count: 10
    God's kill count: 2,476,633

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    What about...

Summer's okay.

Satan's kill count: 10
    God's kill count: 2,476,633

Original sin killed a lot more people than that.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Also, I feel that Beth is one of the more moral individuals in the show. Summer gets brainwashed into joining the Headism cult and she turns her back on Nancy (although, apparently they're friends again since she texts Summer at the end of S3:E1).

Summer and Nancy are just being teenage girls. Teen girls can viciously turn on each other and hate each other forever for a week and then be besties again after that.

Beth's got some worrying alcoholic tendencies.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Summer and Nancy are just being teenage girls. Teen girls can viciously turn on each other and hate each other forever for a week and then be besties again after that.

Beth's got some worrying alcoholic tendencies.

If she's inherited Rick's liver and tolerance, that's not a bad thing.

Besides, what are you...her life coach?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Beth shot Mr. Poopy Butthole. That's unforgiveable.

ACsTqqK.jpg
This discussion has been closed.