As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick and Morty] and Mr. Poopy Butthole

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    First episode of season 2 he begged for his life when he thought he was going to die in the timeless void.

i'm taking it that this means the Unity episode came later. part of the reason for asking was me being unclear on episode/event orders. i honestly would have thought that Unity was season one for example. am happy to defer to superior knowledge though.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Rick occasionally shows shock when people get brutally murdered in front of him. Namely when Rick thought Unity just indiscriminately bombed a town before learning that she evacuated it and when Million Ants killed Ghost Train Conductor.

You know, this being the guy that has no problem crashing a galactic economy or keeping some blue worms around for the purposes of sterilizing entire species.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    And those are really something! But they're crap compared to this:

Gotta disagree here, but I'm likely looking at those videos and assessing their quality from and from a fairly different angle. I tend to really dislike EDM music though, especially when it sounds like standard club fair (just decisively not my thing). Anyway, I can tell that the video you posted would be big in that sort of scene, whether the people listening are fans of Rick and Morty or not. But the difference between those sets of videos to me is that the Schwifty one just sounds like your generic club music, that might as well be procedurally generated, being overlayed with audio from Rick and Morty scenes. The two sound separate, like its just kind of a happy accident that the music tends to quiet when Rick is setting up how Morty should lay down a beat and then the beat gets layed down again. The show audio and music seem to have very little relation with one another otherwise. But with the other two videos the music sounds like it was crafted from Rick and Morty and genuinely made by a fan first and foremost who is simply using electronic music as the medium to produce a fun little fan-made thing, if that makes sense. Those strike me as being cooler for that reason, as a fan of Rick and Morty and hearing how well it incorporates the audio from the show directly into something else that was obviously inspired by it as the primary thing, and then considering the dopeness of the beats or whatever at a very distant second.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Just caught the latest episode.

What strikes me about it is that Drunk Rick probably intended the Vindicators to pass all of the challenges and survive, and was just giving them a bunch of shit while they were a captive audience.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Rick occasionally shows shock when people get brutally murdered in front of him. Namely when Rick thought Unity just indiscriminately bombed a town before learning that she evacuated it and when Million Ants killed Ghost Train Conductor.

You know, this being the guy that has no problem crashing a galactic economy or keeping some blue worms around for the purposes of sterilizing entire species.

True, but he REALLY hated the Galactic Empire, and they were huge dicks anyway.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Just caught the latest episode.

What strikes me about it is that Drunk Rick probably intended the Vindicators to pass all of the challenges and survive, and was just giving them a bunch of shit while they were a captive audience.

The thing about Rick is that if he kills everyone, no one is around to listen to his bullshit.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

They planted an agent in Bird Persons life and killed him on his wedding day. And in revenge, he utterly destroyed them. Taking down the Council of Ricks was just a happy accident.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    That's a three pointer

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

They planted an agent in Bird Persons life and killed him on his wedding day. And in revenge, he utterly destroyed them. Taking down the Council of Ricks was just a happy accident.

The Federation guys are a pretty standard government from what we've seen, Bird Person and Rick are terrorists (by their own admission) so it's not surprising the gloves come off when the govt is after them. The only reason we cheer for Rick's side is because that's the side we see. Although we all hate Tammy, she's actually a hero.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Evermourn wrote: »

The Federation guys are a pretty standard government from what we've seen, Bird Person and Rick are terrorists (by their own admission) so it's not surprising the gloves come off when the govt is after them. The only reason we cheer for Rick's side is because that's the side we see. Although we all hate Tammy, she's actually a hero.

We see how the galactic government incorporates a new planet in the first episode of this season and it was pretty dystopian.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

We see how the galactic government incorporates a new planet in the first episode of this season and it was pretty dystopian.

we saw it through the eyes of one family. i'm not sure we have enough info to dismiss it as being dystopian.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

It was very controlled, but I got the impression everyone was better off. Horses certainly were.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    DNA identification, assigned jobs, pill food, and "little brother" robots arent dystopian to you?

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Pretty funny a dystopian hellhole is the only place where Jerry was actually happy?

• Options
    Pretty sure Jerry was willingly blind to the whole thing and a willing cog in the bureaucracy. Also pretty sure he got preferential treatment for "calling" the GalFeds onto Rick.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I mean, when your entire diet becomes reduced down to a plate of dubious pills, that's not a great sign for the future cultural endeavors or quality of life.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    There's a theory that Rick teared up because it wasn't his current Morty; but maybe his original, now dead Morty from another universe he also bailed on. It would explain his weird obsession with Morty and keeping him around. It also adds another layer if the Eyepatch Morty is that original Morty he thought was dead, but instead is pursuing Rick for revenge for abandoning his universe/family. Maybe he showed him that footage specifically to see how Rick reacted.

Would explain the inconsistency of having photos of Rick with baby Morty while Cronenberg Beth and current Beth both imply that he was completely gone from her life from her preteen years until a year before season 1.

Although if C137 Rick went to a different universe around the time of Morty's birth, it raises more questions about what happened to the Rick that Beth remembers and whether it's even the same person.

Maybe Rick's flashback in the Shoney's was accurate, but C137 is the Rick in Black who came and killed the other Rick for refusing the call.

Edit: i feel like Earth's assimilation into the Galactic Federation was a mixed bag, but didn't last long enough for the benefits to become apparent. In the short term there'd have been a shitton of exploitation as Earth became a tourist trap or a virgin market for alien corporations, but they did at least seem to care about keeping humans healthy and employed.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Edit: i feel like Earth's assimilation into the Galactic Federation was a mixed bag, but didn't last long enough for the benefits to become apparent. In the short term there'd have been a shitton of exploitation as Earth became a tourist trap or a virgin market for alien corporations, but they did at least seem to care about keeping humans healthy and employed.

Yeah, we've seen other planets and food is definitely still a thing.

Earth was playing catch-up with the rest of the galaxy and I think it's a safe assumption things would be different in the future.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There's a theory that Rick teared up because it wasn't his current Morty; but maybe his original, now dead Morty from another universe he also bailed on. It would explain his weird obsession with Morty and keeping him around. It also adds another layer if the Eyepatch Morty is that original Morty he thought was dead, but instead is pursuing Rick for revenge for abandoning his universe/family. Maybe he showed him that footage specifically to see how Rick reacted.

Would explain the inconsistency of having photos of Rick with baby Morty while Cronenberg Beth and current Beth both imply that he was completely gone from her life from her preteen years until a year before season 1.

Although if C137 Rick went to a different universe around the time of Morty's birth, it raises more questions about what happened to the Rick that Beth remembers and whether it's even the same person.

Maybe Rick's flashback in the Shoney's was accurate, but C137 is the Rick in Black who came and killed the other Rick for refusing the call.

As long as you didn't follow Goldenfold and his merry band of sewer-dwellers. We only got to see the effects from the Smith's point of view...but I have a feeling that, when the response to the Fed bugs who were left behind was joyful (and patriotic) drawing and quartering in town squares, things weren't all *that* great under Federation rule.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Didn't real Rick's Beth get blown up? I've figured for awhile that Rick and Morty are not from the same timeline, since Rick went hopping looking for a timeline with a Beth he could inhabit, presumably picked up the Morty from that timeline, and then of course they had to hop together after cronenberg.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SunrizeSunrize Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Pickle Rick:
    Not sure how I feel about this one. It felt a bit...too on the nose? Also the arbitrary "I have 8 minutes to live/literally dying right now" time limit out of nowhere seemed dumb as well.
    He was mortally wounded during the fight with jaguar and losing brine at an alarming rate. He was only being kept alive by a graft made out of mustard, a staple, and pickle slice from a discarded burger.

This is back from the Pickle episode
    I'm not perfectly sure, but I think this is supposed to be a meta-joke that there are 8 minutes left until the end of the episode. That would include commercials though, and I watched it online so there are 6 minutes left when he says it, maybe it lines up correctly with a standard 2 min commercial break?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Didn't real Rick's Beth get blown up? I've figured for awhile that Rick and Morty are not from the same timeline, since Rick went hopping looking for a timeline with a Beth he could inhabit, presumably picked up the Morty from that timeline, and then of course they had to hop together after cronenberg.

We do not know how much of that episode was real, and how much of it was Rick lying.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Pretty funny a dystopian hellhole is the only place where Jerry was actually happy?

As long as Jerry has weeds to whack, digital balloons to pop and his human music, he will always be happy. He is like an adult baby: easy to frighten, whines when he can't get his way but also quick to recover. He is probably the least intelligent person on the show, oblivious to his surroundings and pretty content with being the bottom of the wrung. He is the exact opposite of Rick. The fact that someone like Jerry can ever be happy goes a long way to explain Rick's hatred of him.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    I was wondering why I saw so many Rick & Morty signs at the EDM festival. They make sense now after starting the series.

Show me what you got!

https://youtu.be/ocTijYhFP-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnmQdHSRQ1U

And those are really something! But they're crap compared to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Xp6g-_UUw

I was waiting for this post. And you did not disappoint!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

As long as you didn't follow Goldenfold and his merry band of sewer-dwellers. We only got to see the effects from the Smith's point of view...but I have a feeling that, when the response to the Fed bugs who were left behind was joyful (and patriotic) drawing and quartering in town squares, things weren't all *that* great under Federation rule.

I assumed the drawing and quartering was an issue with humans being xenophobic.

We wouldn't adapt well to a change so radically, so quick. Folks would get their guns and go to the sewers, others would want to kill aliens.

It's hard to say and i doubt the show will ever bring it up again, though, because it raises too many questions about humanity that (as i've said before) the show simply isn't built to answer.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Humans are typically shown as staunchly protective of their individuality, so you get horror films like the Body Snatchers and the Thing. Alien civilisations are always encountered as some kind of globally unified force all singing from the same hymn sheet.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

We do not know how much of that episode was real, and how much of it was Rick lying.

The only way Rick's backstory could be what he showed to that agent is if we also assume that he had switched universes at some point before the series began, because otherwise there wouldn't have been a Beth to birth a Morty. This would mean he and Morty wouldn't be identified as being from the same universe but I'm pretty sure they've consistently been identified as such, so I lean towards it being completely fabricated.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Rick was absent from this Morty's life for a decade plus, there's no reason it has to be his original Morty at all.

Like, we've explicitly seen Rick bail on that original Beth and Summer too. Why assume this is his first Morty either?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Opty wrote: »

The only way Rick's backstory could be what he showed to that agent is if we also assume that he had switched universes at some point before the series began, because otherwise there wouldn't have been a Beth to birth a Morty. This would mean he and Morty wouldn't be identified as being from the same universe but I'm pretty sure they've consistently been identified as such, so I lean towards it being completely fabricated.

Decided to go looking. Morty identifies himself as being from C-137, but Rick does not. The only time Rick makes any statement regarding his home dimension is when he's picking up Jerry from daycare and he marks his home dimension as "N/A."

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I rewatched the second, third, and fourth episodes of the new season today and I still laughed my ass off. I enjoyed the vindicators episode even though Pickle Rick is the best of the season so far.

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »

Decided to go looking. Morty identifies himself as being from C-137, but Rick does not. The only time Rick makes any statement regarding his home dimension is when he's picking up Jerry from daycare and he marks his home dimension as "N/A."

Doesn't he say he's from there when him and summer first meet the space amazons?

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Also the Ricks of the Council of Ricks have identified the Rick we follow as C-137 a handful of times.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Also the Ricks of the Council of Ricks have identified the Rick we follow as C-137 a handful of times.

maybe because they just don't know any better.

All the ricks may not be fully accounted for.

And anyways, its not like it matters any more post-rickicide.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I love that The Council of Ricks has a crime called "Radicalizing a Summer". Like they are deliberately trying to keep her "normal" for some reason.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I love that The Council of Ricks has a crime called "Radicalizing a Summer". Like they are deliberately trying to keep her "normal" for some reason.

Summer is prone to going pretty hardcore for things in general.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I just rewatched the episode with the eyepatch Morty. Rick saying "it goes without saying the Rickest Rick would have the Mortiest Morty" and refusing to then actually say it, then telling C137 Morty that he'll tell him, when he's older, what happens when a Morty gets too cocky, makes me pretty confident eyepatch Morty is the original, or the first Morty that this Rick used. I still think this Rick might not have had a Morty to start.

Edit: Alright, yeah. My going theory: This Rick actually stole his Morty at birth and raised him. The Rick's leave and aren't around when Morty is a baby normally. This one stole and raised eyepatch Morty, which is why eyepatch Morty is different. He isn't like his dad with all the hangups, he's actually a Rick-like character.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Dunno why you guys are assuming the council is gone. There's infinite Ricks and most are part of it, they can/already have rebuilt it.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I just rewatched the episode with the eyepatch Morty. Rick saying "it goes without saying the Rickest Rick would have the Mortiest Morty" and refusing to then actually say it, then telling C137 Morty that he'll tell him, when he's older, what happens when a Morty gets too cocky, makes me pretty confident eyepatch Morty is the original, or the first Morty that this Rick used. I still think this Rick might not have had a Morty to start.

Edit: Alright, yeah. My going theory: This Rick actually stole his Morty at birth and raised him. The Rick's leave and aren't around when Morty is a baby normally. This one stole and raised eyepatch Morty, which is why eyepatch Morty is different. He isn't like his dad with all the hangups, he's actually a Rick-like character.

Funnily enough Ricks theory has been proven wrong basically constantly. Morty isn't most Morty and in fact is probably the least. All the other Morty's seem to be blissfully unaware and unfailingly chipper.

Whereas this Morty has gone so far from what he used to be that he is constantly frustrated by the other Mortys. One of my favorite lines in the premier was "Why is our Lawyer a Morty?!?!". Morty understands and is frustrated by the other Morty's unfailing ignorance.

Also no he doesn't want to see your pog collection.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    In fact, I bet the Rickest Rick has the Rickest Morty

• Options
    would a Rick recognize a different Morty?
    You would think Rick would pickup on the demeanor and social tics of Eyepatch Morty if he raised him. They did meet in that episode.

I'll put the theory in as possible, though unlikely.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
This discussion has been closed.