As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick and Morty] and Mr. Poopy Butthole

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Boy, that episode was one of the worst. Just felt like 50% stuff we've already covered (Rick is bad, Jerry is pathetic), and 48% filler (characters coming from nowhere, and disappearing just as quickly). The 2% was for Morty continuing to grow and become more competent at dealing with things, which is a character arc I'm enjoying.

That only makes like 52% though?
    Like your 48% new characters fits inside your 50% Jerry & Rick.
    The other 50% is Beth & Morty (& Summer), which didn't really have any new characters.

I don't know, I thought Beth, Morty and Jerry all had some good interpersonal moments in the story, whilst Rick was Rick is Rick will be Rick.

And this episode was nowhere near last week's level of 'new characters of the week show up and try to make us care about them'.

discrider on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I was down for the joke regarding the two kids running around in the resort, but this ep felt like it was experimenting to see if there was some comedic chemistry between Rick and Jerry - I mean, there is, but I definitely feel like it's kind of been mined out a bit because the shallow and dim Jerry can't really hide anything from Rick

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Rick's dangerous class C or above cybernetic enhancements were dope.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    I was down for the joke regarding the two kids running around in the resort, but this ep felt like it was experimenting to see if there was some comedic chemistry between Rick and Jerry - I mean, there is, but I definitely feel like it's kind of been mined out a bit because the shallow and dim Jerry can't really hide anything from Rick

I thought the intro segment (after the title) nailed that pretty well.
    Not sure that you could get away with taking that line between Rick and Jerry repeatedly though.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Uh oh, the show is getting popular, better become too good for it.

The episode was great.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Hell shoot me up with the good stuff for long flights.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    good episode. had character development in it. morty is a lot more in charge of shit this season and i like it

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I really liked the tech support joke and the fact that Beth's solution was to just completely fuck herself up.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I think my favorite part of the episode was Rick riding back to the spaceport/hub/whatever on that big creature, and then cut to Jerry having to ride down below with it's giant ball-sack slapping him in the face with every step.

Like, I really appreciate the fact that the show isn't too good for that kind of juvenile humor, because I still totally laugh my ass off at it.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    The tech support gag is my new favorite thing.

One of my favorite episodes for this season. I liked that all characters involved showed a bit of spine, and they all seemed like themselves. Particularly enjoyed Mortys ominous 'Your smore is burning' line.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm all in for this character development of Morty.

Everything else feels too razzle-dazzley and familiar for me to care too strongly one way or another.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Hopefully this was the point Jerry realizes he needs to turn it around. He actually got a moment of respect from Rick for a second there at the end.

Viskod on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I think this was my favorite episode so far this season aside from maybe the first.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Having had a brief thought about this after watching the universe in a battery episode from a while back, I think Rick is like the scientist in the microverse, but what he is aware of is that he's in a TV show. He knows that his existence, regardless of how potent and powerful he seems to be, is completely at the whims of the viewers. He knows about us, and it drives him mad. This is the difference between him and the other ricks. That's my thought of the day in regards to why Rick is so crazy.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Hopefully this was the point Jerry realizes he needs to turn it around. He actually got a moment of respect from Rick for a second there at the end.

I'm thinking that the moment
    he became one with time from last nights episode
    may change his outlook and motivations, if Harmon and Roiland decide they want to run with that thread.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    eh. I mean. I want that growth, I really want it. But I could easily see Rick and Morty sliding permanently into a vein of being a bitter, less cuddly version of Futurama and, despite a few head-fakes, never moving out of that lane.

• Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Having had a brief thought about this after watching the universe in a battery episode from a while back, I think Rick is like the scientist in the microverse, but what he is aware of is that he's in a TV show. He knows that his existence, regardless of how potent and powerful he seems to be, is completely at the whims of the viewers. He knows about us, and it drives him mad. This is the difference between him and the other ricks. That's my thought of the day in regards to why Rick is so crazy.

Its also why he cares sometimes, but at other times just seems to think its all just worthless nonsense, or why he seems to genuinely cut loose and party sometimes. He doesn't want to die, or to have his friends and family die, since they are real to him. But he knows, that even though it seems like he can escape and go wherever he wants, he can simply be destroyed by us at any time. He, and everyone around him, is fake. But they are all equally real within their own perspective.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    eh. I mean. I want that growth, I really want it. But I could easily see Rick and Morty sliding permanently into a vein of being a bitter, less cuddly version of Futurama and, despite a few head-fakes, never moving out of that lane.

I think that the show is focused on not turning out like a canon-less adventure-of-the-week show, and deliberately has shown how previous adventures are canon and have dramatically affected them as characters (with the possible exception of Rick) - every member of the family has evolved (and not really reverted) as the show has gone on and I think that will continue

Actually now I hope that Summer's newfound and alarmingly eager desire to use Rick's inventions without real considerations (as shown throughout this season) will result in some particularly interesting changes for her this season

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed Rick pointing out that Jerry's spinelessness isnt a weakness anymore, he's weaponized it as a way of getting pity perks. He's too dickless to permanently stand up for himself, so he's subconsciously been manipulating people instead. Like Morty pointed out two episodes ago, if Jerry REALLY wanted his family back, he should have fought for them, not just stood in the driveway and hoped they'd come running back to him.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Boy, that episode was one of the worst. Just felt like 50% stuff we've already covered (Rick is bad, Jerry is pathetic), and 48% filler (characters coming from nowhere, and disappearing just as quickly). The 2% was for Morty continuing to grow and become more competent at dealing with things, which is a character arc I'm enjoying.

You are Ricked inside or something. This was a neat set of pairings we rarely see and it explored why characters act how they do and calls them on it.

And it was hilarious

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Basically the moral of the story is: Fuck Rick & Beth!

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »

I thought it was more Fuck Everyone Except Maybe Morty Who Atleast Tries to Fix Things. Everyone else are massive piles of neuroses, codependence and issues that they dont want to solve because admitting what a bad person you are is too painful for the ego.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I think I enjoyed it more than the last one, but I'm still not liking the now apparently required weekly flimsy and bitter explicit psych analyses, nor the absurd level they've taken Rick's hypercompetence this season. Car battery episode, he spent weeks and was still messing around with sticks and stones. Gazorpazorp, at complete mercy to random primative(ish) aliens. Purge episode, one grenade and some tic tacs and then bluffing/fleeing until he could cobble together a radio. This season, instead of out-thinking whatever he's up against, every episode, a length of floss, a quick cut, and he's put together a random super weapon.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I don't know, he had to fight like hell when he was a pickle and the episode did a good job of towing the line between giving Rick too much of a cop out (another serum or being able to get to another invention in the garage) and too much helplessness (which would also make for a far less exciting episode).

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »

I thought it was more Fuck Everyone Except Maybe Morty Who Atleast Tries to Fix Things. Everyone else are massive piles of neuroses, codependence and issues that they dont want to solve because admitting what a bad person you are is too painful for the ego.

And Morty's like the only one who is learning anything at all, along with the character growth. He's gonna be a super adventurer after just a few more years of this "crazy situations" bootcamp. Already has the greatest threat to the universe (drunk Riiiiick) figured out.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Man, how cool would it be to be a cyborg with a portal gun in your arm? Now that they've established he's a 'frickin borg they could go to some cool places with that.
    Certainly it makes him so he's probably never going to be as helpless/low-tech as Pickle-Rick etc again.

Probably was just a one-time thing that won't get shown or mentioned again though, kinda makes him too powerful.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Man, how cool would it be to be a cyborg with a portal gun in your arm? Now that they've established he's a 'frickin borg they could go to some cool places with that.
    Certainly it makes him so he's probably never going to be as helpless/low-tech as Pickle-Rick etc again.

Probably was just a one-time thing that won't get shown or mentioned again though, kinda makes him too powerful.

If it is ever mentioned again, I'm guessing it'll be just long enough to say that Rick took them out because when he had them in he got drugged up and had to take shit from Jerry.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Rick's dangerous class C or above cybernetic enhancements were dope.

Was anyone else creeped out by them? The sub-dermal nano-shield thing from last week was cool, but it really threw me off how much of a cyborg it turns out Rick is. Guess it explains how someone his age is so agile and combat-capable.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I think it really hit me what was bugging me about this show's treatment of Jerry.

Yes, for the majority of the show Jerry's been pathetic and hasn't done much for himself. And both Morty and Rick have, in two separate episodes, said Jerry needs to man up. When Jerry fights back by biting that alien, it's treated as a big win.

However, the way Jerry is depicted in the show is the same as that as someone who is clinically depressed. Depression doesn't have to mean a person is sad, it could also mean that the person has lost all motivation and doesn't know how to come out of it. In this kind of mindset, simply telling someone to "man up" isn't just unhelpful, it's the same unhelpful garbage that's been thrown on clinically depressed people for decades instead of getting them the help they need. Not everyone can just decide to not be depressed. It's the same sort of toxic masculinity that has contributed to higher suicides and drug use in the military. Don't actually confront your feelings and admit you're depressed, be a man.

Granted, Rick said Jerry has adapted being pathetic as an identity to get people to do things for him. Which may be what the writers are aiming for, but they really haven't done a great job of showing it. In fact the universe calling Jerry a loser could very easily be taken as his depression talking to him. And the moment Beth kicked Jerry out. Characters keep saying Jerry should declare his love for Beth, but he already did that. Moments before that happened, Jerry and Beth had that loving, tearful moment where they said they loved each other and wanted to be with each other. Rick shows up and Beth immediately drops interest. Jerry decides to stand up for himself and make Beth choose between him or Rick. Beth chooses Rick. What the hell else was Jerry supposed to do in that moment? Rick is such a smothering force of nature that any further yelling or fighting would have been futile or caused Rick to fuse Jerry's butt on an alien or something. Standing up for himself didn't work, so learned helplessness kicks in.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

I'm pretty sure those weren't Rick's augments, and that he was just as surprised as us when he used them.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I think Rick was wrong on Beth having options as Rick's daughter. In every universe we've seen she's either married to Jerry, dead, or that one where she wasn't with Jerry, she was a higher class of surgeon but miserable.

Wonder what's happening in that one universe where she remarried.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Jerry's Titanic picture on the wall of his shitty apartment.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    discrider wrote: »

I'm pretty sure those weren't Rick's augments, and that he was just as surprised as us when he used them.

Well its not his body

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Jerry just needs to find the everyday equivalent of living in a world of mantis people, because that really got him together.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    discrider wrote: »

Well its not his body

This is a really good point

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I think it really hit me what was bugging me about this show's treatment of Jerry.

Yes, for the majority of the show Jerry's been pathetic and hasn't done much for himself. And both Morty and Rick have, in two separate episodes, said Jerry needs to man up. When Jerry fights back by biting that alien, it's treated as a big win.

However, the way Jerry is depicted in the show is the same as that as someone who is clinically depressed. Depression doesn't have to mean a person is sad, it could also mean that the person has lost all motivation and doesn't know how to come out of it. In this kind of mindset, simply telling someone to "man up" isn't just unhelpful, it's the same unhelpful garbage that's been thrown on clinically depressed people for decades instead of getting them the help they need. Not everyone can just decide to not be depressed. It's the same sort of toxic masculinity that has contributed to higher suicides and drug use in the military. Don't actually confront your feelings and admit you're depressed, be a man.

Granted, Rick said Jerry has adapted being pathetic as an identity to get people to do things for him. Which may be what the writers are aiming for, but they really haven't done a great job of showing it. In fact the universe calling Jerry a loser could very easily be taken as his depression talking to him. And the moment Beth kicked Jerry out. Characters keep saying Jerry should declare his love for Beth, but he already did that. Moments before that happened, Jerry and Beth had that loving, tearful moment where they said they loved each other and wanted to be with each other. Rick shows up and Beth immediately drops interest. Jerry decides to stand up for himself and make Beth choose between him or Rick. Beth chooses Rick. What the hell else was Jerry supposed to do in that moment? Rick is such a smothering force of nature that any further yelling or fighting would have been futile or caused Rick to fuse Jerry's butt on an alien or something. Standing up for himself didn't work, so learned helplessness kicks in.

You're missing the point a little, it's not JUST Jerry's fault, he just gets the worst of it because he's the one who is the least assertive. Beth and Rick get their share of the blame too, which they do show. Just in the Pickle episode, where Beth and Rick just blow off any further family therapy even though both Morty and Summer want to keep going, and the therapist accuratly pointed out their respective flaws. They just didnt want to acknowledge any of it because their dysfunctional relationship is too difficult to deal with.

As for what Jerry is supposed to do, he's supposed to stop collapsing into a pile of urine and tears every time he's faced with an obstacle. Jerry of Chronenberg Earth is the same person as this Jerry, yet somehow managed to stop being a gigantic load when the mutants overran the planet. What did Jerry do when the Empire took over? He became a QUISLING!

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Versus what? I'm all for Kill the Alien, Burn the Heretic, Purge the Unclean as any other Emperor-fearing citizen but what specifically could Jerry do at that point? The bugs have guns too, they're not just mantises or monsters that probably don't understand their bodies fully (teenagers joke here).

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    As for what Jerry is supposed to do, he's supposed to stop collapsing into a pile of urine and tears every time he's faced with an obstacle. Jerry of Chronenberg Earth is the same person as this Jerry, yet somehow managed to stop being a gigantic load when the mutants overran the planet. What did Jerry do when the Empire took over? He became a QUISLING!

Jerry is one of the "nice" people who believes in The System. The Police are there for you when things go bad and you need somebody to deal with Bad Guys. The Government knows what it's doing. There are Rules for life. Jerry tries his best to play by those Rules, and even though he can't be assertive he knows that he deserves whatever treatment he gets because that's what The System does to people like him. When The System goes away - completely goes away, like in Cronenberg world - Jerry finally takes charge and manages to take care of himself and his family. In the absence of Rules, Jerry faces the world and thrives.

I think in a Mad Max situation, Jerry would be fine on his own (or with the Smiths) out in the middle of nowhere, but the moment some would-be warlord pushes in and asserts that, no, I'm in charge, Jerry will step out of the way. Because now there are Rules again.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Was not expecting an Altered States reference, or Attack on Titan for that matter.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Was not expecting an Altered States reference, or Attack on Titan for that matter.

Was it really an AoT reference? Now that you say that specifically I can kind of see it, but that never once crossed my mind watching the episode.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
This discussion has been closed.