As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

R.I.P. Axolotls

Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
Beasts-AXOLOTL-SUM_2716127b.jpg
Mexico's salamander-like axolotl may have disappeared from its only known natural habitat in Mexico City's few remaining lakes.
It's disturbing news for an admittedly ugly creature, which has a slimy tail, plumage-like gills and mouth that curls into an odd smile.

The axolotl is known as the "water monster" and the "Mexican walking fish," and its only natural habitat is Lake Xochimilco, which is suffering from pollution and urban sprawl.

Biologist Luis Zambrano of Mexico's National Autonomous University says the most recent three-month attempt to net axolotls found not one of the creatures. He says researchers are planning a second three-month hunt for the creatures, which still survive in labs and breeding tanks.

Millions once lived in the giant lakes of Xochimilco and Chalco on which Mexico City was built. Using four stubby legs to drag themselves along lake bottoms or their thick tails to swim like mini-alligators, they hunted plentiful aquatic insects, small fish and crustaceans.

Legend has it that Xolotl – the dog-headed Aztec god of death, lightning and monstrosities feared he was about to be banished or killed by other gods and changed into an axolotl to flee into the lake.

The Mexican Academy of Sciences said in a statement that a 1998 survey found an average of 6,000 axolotls per square kilometre, a figure that dropped to 1,000 in a 2003 study, and 100 in a 2008 survey.

Tovar Garza said it is too early to declare the axolotl extinct in its natural habitat. He said that in early February, researchers will begin a three-month search in hopes of finding what may be the last free-roaming axolotl.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    God dammit mexico

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Rip in rip

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    That's a shame. Those are some fantastic head....appendages.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Okay, this is terrible.

All extinctions are tragic, but especially when the organism in question is fascinating.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    edit I can't read

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I thought this was about a forumer

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I imagine sometime in the future humanity will be in that position. Some alien race scouring the ruins of society to try and find the last surviving specimen.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Too beautiful for this world. You and your stuby legs walk with the angels now.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »

Lungs, I believe

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Amphibians in general are real fucked. Frog populations worldwide are on the decline because of water pollution and a rather nasty skin fungus that suffocates them.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    One of soon to be many others, tragically. We're losing the monarch butterfly soon too.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Nobody tell kochi

She'll be inconsolable.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    One of soon to be many others, tragically. We're losing the monarch butterfly soon too.
    Don't forget the bees.

We die with the bees.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Amphibians in general are real fucked. Frog populations worldwide are on the decline because of water pollution and a rather nasty skin fungus that suffocates them.

Amphibians are probably the most threatened group of animals on the planet.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

worse yet, amphibians are earth's "canary in a coal mine". when amphibians start dying off, it's a strong indicator that pollution is not far off from affecting other organisms.

but hey, who gives a shit when Bieber is drunk driving and throwing eggs at houses.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    God dammit humanity

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Sticks wrote: »

Lungs, I believe

Huh. That's an interesting place to keep those...

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    This is sad news, but not unexpected. Axolotls dying off in the wild has been mentioned as being pretty inevitable for years. They are readily bred in captivity thankfully and are seen in the pet trade and used in medical research. They can regenerate from almost any injury, including damage to the spinal cord. They are amazing little creatures!

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    At least they're easily bred in captivity? Lot of amphibians don't have that defense against extinction.

And it's not, if what I've read is accurate, like a lot of big cats that don't have any chance to survive in the wild unless they were born and raised there. They could, theoretically, be California Condor'd.

I mean, it's bad. This is bad news. But it could be a lot worse.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I bought a safari field guide recently. In the original foreword from the 80's the guy gives a pro-conservation message saying "my hope is the animals I love will be there for my grandchildren, and their children, and future generations to enjoy."

In the updated foreword for the 2012 edition he says "these days I simply hope they'll still be there for my grandchildren".

It's pretty depressing.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    YtNsW57.jpg?1

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    At least they're easily bred in captivity? Lot of amphibians don't have that defense against extinction.

And it's not, if what I've read is accurate, like a lot of big cats that don't have any chance to survive in the wild unless they were born and raised there. They could, theoretically, be California Condor'd.

I mean, it's bad. This is bad news. But it could be a lot worse.

New law: everyone needs to keep an axolotl in their house

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    pfft, pollution. you hippies are just trying to destroy the economy! now excuse me while i dump this container marked "absolutely not toxic sludge" into this wildlife preserve.

edit: in all seriousness though, this is super upsetting. bats, amphibians, bees, large predatory animals. seems like lots of species are circling the drain and no one gives a single fuck.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    RIP Bulbasaur

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    pfft, pollution. you hippies are just trying to destroy the economy! now excuse me while i dump this container marked "absolutely not toxic sludge" into this wildlife preserve.

edit: in all seriousness though, this is super upsetting. bats, amphibians, bees, large predatory animals. seems like lots of species are circling the drain and no one gives a single fuck.

There isn't one fuck to give, because as sad as it sounds first worlders wont give up their luxuries for some problem somewhere else because surely SCIENEC! will fix it! Also whats the point of me giving it up of my neighbors don't?

Rest of the world won't give a shit because fuck you firstworlders got their positions of power this way why cant we stop oppressing us.

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    I had the word "axolotl" confused with "atlatl".

I'm feeling a very specific kind of nerd embarrassment right now.

• Options
    Captain K wrote: »

Now I'm just imaging war where people throw Axolotl's at eachother.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    What type of Pokemon is that thing?

• Options
    Hunter wrote: »
    What type of Pokemon is that thing?

Water type.

Duh.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

the Aztecs apparently really liked putting "tl" at the end of words

• Options
    I bet it would be similar to Magikarp

• Options
    edited January 2014

the Aztecs apparently really liked putting "tl" at the end of words

Sotl Aztectl languagetl istl liketl pigtl latintl

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    wooooocl6batk.jpgooooper

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

Fuck don't let that thing evolve then, you won't be able to feed it

• Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    its too bad that even if all the humans died today the damage is already done and all our left over junk would just continue to pollute things for a long long time.

Human beings are the only hope to turn things around now and the thing we are really good at (i.e. killing human beings) won't help much.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I just really want us to figure out the bee thing. I read an article that recently scientists found that there was a plant virus affecting them

• Options

Fuck don't let that thing evolve then, you won't be able to feed it

So your Magikarp likes to sleep next to you?

It's actually just measuring you in advance. Have fun when it evolves!

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I just really want us to figure out the bee thing. I read an article that recently scientists found that there was a plant virus affecting them

Some say its a fungus, some say its a virus, some say its a parasite..