Options

[Nintendo eShop] So many classic games, so little time to play them all.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    It's your guys' loss if you don't want to pick up Fire Emblem Awakening. But hopefully some people will decide to pick up Kid Icarus Uprising.

Is the eShop version worth getting? I've heard about some weird discrepancies between the physical and eshop versions.

? This is literally the first time I've heard anything like that.

In fact, I don't think I've heard heard about a digital and physical version of a game being different in any way.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    It's your guys' loss if you don't want to pick up Fire Emblem Awakening. But hopefully some people will decide to pick up Kid Icarus Uprising.

Is the eShop version worth getting? I've heard about some weird discrepancies between the physical and eshop versions.

I own the eShop version and I have no clue what you are talking about. Where did you hear it was different?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Maybe he's thinking of the lack of the stand w/ the digital version?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Maz- wrote: »

? This is literally the first time I've heard anything like that.

In fact, I don't think I've heard heard about a digital and physical version of a game being different in any way.

I investigated some more, and I was half-mistaken. The differences I'd heard about were exploits (fusion preview and cloning), but there are no intentional differences.

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Last night I downloaded "The Fall" on the WiiU. It looks hugely interesting.

Anyone play it?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Only the original Sonic on sale? No 2, 3 or Knuckles? Durn.

On the other hand, Fire Emblem stubbornly refuses to budge on price, so I may as well pick it up for later.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

On the other hand, Fire Emblem stubbornly refuses to budge on price, so I may as well pick it up for later.

Only the first Sonic is available on the 3DS.

And none of the games are on Wii U.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Only the first Sonic is available on the 3DS.

And none of the games are on Wii U.

That only changes the reason for why that sucks. :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Went through a crisis last night as I realized my time to decide whether I wanted SMB3 on my 3DS or WiiU was running short. Normally it would be 3DS as a no-brainer, but over the past couple weeks I have really fallen in love with the WiiU Pro controller, and the nostalgia of playing SMB3 with hand-off-the-controller multiplayer on a TV was riding over me in waves. I went for the 3DS, but with a twinge of regret.

Nintendo, how can you do this to me? D:

PS I am so bad at this game now!!!!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I tried to enjoy KI: Uprising, I really did, but the controls and frenetic nature of the "land battles" really didn't sit well with me. I felt like I was just slashing at the touchpad until stuff died.

If the whole game had been the flying/Panzer Dragoon-like levels, I think I would have enjoyed it more.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    To be fair though - the Sonic 1 on the 3DS is pretty neat. It has optional added spin dash moves from the later games and the 3D effect is pretty good if you ever play with 3D turned on. Actually I'm a huge fan of all the Sega 3D rehashes, I've yet to be disappointed in any of them.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    To be fair though - the Sonic 1 on the 3DS is pretty neat. It has optional added spin dash moves from the later games and the 3D effect is pretty good if you ever play with 3D turned on. Actually I'm a huge fan of all the Sega 3D rehashes, I've yet to be disappointed in any of them.

M2 does an amazing job. They are the reason you actually have different pixel resolution/smoothing options on the Wii U VC titles.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

Except the Sonic title on sale is the Game Gear release, "Sonic the Hedgehog", not the 3D remaster.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Last night I downloaded "The Fall" on the WiiU. It looks hugely interesting.

Anyone play it?

I got it on steam a few months ago. I haven't played through all of it yet but I think it's really good. A bit Metroidy, a bit puzzly, really nailed the atmosphere, really good voice work. Some of the puzzles are a little obtuse but whatever. The only thing is, apparently it's pretty short? It's only episode one or something. I still recommend it. It's great so far.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular

Except the Sonic title on sale is the Game Gear release, "Sonic the Hedgehog", not the 3D remaster.

The Game Gear version? Whyyyyy?

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Question regarding Oracle of Ages/Seasons

Does Connectivity still exist in the 3DS eShop versions? And if so, will it give me Post-Golden Sun Traumatic Episodes?

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »

Does Connectivity still exist in the 3DS eShop versions? And if so, will it give me Post-Golden Sun Traumatic Episodes?

Yeah, you've got to use the code.
    Took a picture of mine with a cellphone to do it, couldn't do that back then.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    I tried to enjoy KI: Uprising, I really did, but the controls and frenetic nature of the "land battles" really didn't sit well with me. I felt like I was just slashing at the touchpad until stuff died.

If the whole game had been the flying/Panzer Dragoon-like levels, I think I would have enjoyed it more.

This is how I felt too. I just turned the intensity to minimum on the ground levels, but still only played through half the game. Dreading every other level lowers the fun dramatically. I would buy a twin stick Wii U port day one though.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    RFN did a good podcast with Dan Adelman(Ex nintendo indie dev outreach) about his involvement in the rise of wiiware and the eshop
    https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/38434/episode-397-rfnware-shop-channel

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

It is not nearly as bad as Golden Sun though. I think it might be comparable to the smallest code for that.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    More of them, though.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    At least it isn't Shiren the Wanderer's rescue codes.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

You can use the 3DS note feature too.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Crossposting this from the 3DS thread...

Holy shit how did I miss this game completely? It just came out and nobody knows about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjfYSOCNLOQ

I am all about this style of game.

The few people who are talking about it online are skeptical, because it looks pretty good but it's so under the radar that nobody knows what to think. There are like zero reviews. Here's what one guy at NeoGAF had to say:
    So, The Keep seems pretty great so far--while it's definitely inspired by the old-school dungeon crawlers, it's impossible to deny that the primary influence of this game is Legend of Grimrock's take on the genre, which shows in the visuals and gameplay.

There are three different control schemes to choose from (I'm doing fine with the default), and when you start a new game, there are three difficulty options as well as options to enable perma-death and to disable the intro tutorial (which was short, to the point, and effective).

I've cleared the first two chapters--graphics are impressive for an eShop game. There was one point where I saw dust particles floating in the air through light. At first I thought the game was way dark, until I realized that I needed to equip a torch (which can also be wielded as a weapon). The puzzles have been fun so far, nothing too challenging, but I'll note that I managed to miss a secret in the second chapter (there's a Doom-like score at the end of each chapter telling you how x/x secrets found, enemies killed, and children rescued).

I'll have to give it more time to see what the scope of the game is, but thus far, I'm thinking "this is really good for an eShop title by an unknown developer... what, is it short or something?".

Has anyone else given The Keep a shot?

Comparison to Grimrock? I think I'm going to get in on this one.

EDIT: Found a review from some unknown site.
    This game is hands down one of the best eShop titles to come this year and is definitely one that you should pick up if you enjoy this type of game. You won’t regret it.

THE GOOD: Outstanding music and sound | Great use of 3D | Challenging
    THE BAD: No checkpoints in each level, so save often

Grain of salt obviously until we have more impressions, though personally my download is 50% done.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Forgot I had an eshop card for $5 until today from the WiiU digital promotion, so free Oracle of Ages!
    Going to be a nostalgia trip playing through those. They were the second Zelda game I ever played iirc. Never had Adventure of Link or Link's Awakening or A Link to the Past growing up.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    I was hoping Link's Awakening was part of the Smash sale. Now $5.99 just seems like an impassable undiscounted mountain.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    On Wii U been playing Shovel Knight and the recently released Mega Man 7 on virtual console. It's jarring to switch between the fantastic smoothness of Shovel Knight to the slowdowns that occur when too many enemies/bullets are on screen in MM7. Like when the little birds burst out the huge egg on Cloud Man's stage

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

For me, it's kind of the opposite. Kind of. I'm not a huge fan of the whole on-rails air gameplay. It's fun, but everything's kind of samey, and my enthusiasm for such things peaked with Star Fox 64. I look forward to getting to the ground, because weapons and enemies become more differentiated, and your movement and tactics open up. I don't really feel like the ground battles are particularly frenetic, no more than the air battles, except when enemies move outside of your cone of vision and you have to start spinning to keep your eyes on them. Which brings me to the concession that yes, the controls are a pain. Large turns are difficult, and I only play one level per play session because I'm always feeling hand and/or neck strain by the end of the chapter

I do one have other complaint besides the controls. Do the enemies have a visible health bar, or is there a power/trait that will make one show up? Fighting bosses and performing idol transformations wears on my patience when I have no clue how far into the fight I am

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Went through a crisis last night as I realized my time to decide whether I wanted SMB3 on my 3DS or WiiU was running short. Normally it would be 3DS as a no-brainer, but over the past couple weeks I have really fallen in love with the WiiU Pro controller, and the nostalgia of playing SMB3 with hand-off-the-controller multiplayer on a TV was riding over me in waves. I went for the 3DS, but with a twinge of regret.

The fact that you had to make that choice just shows how far behind Nintendo is in the digital distribution game.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

The fact that you had to make that choice just shows how far behind Nintendo is in the digital distribution game.

Yeah, yeah, we get it :P

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Got myself a fat 32 gig card and will probably grab Uprising.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Got myself a fat 32 gig card and will probably grab Uprising.

I can see you getting pretty annoyed with the controls but I hope you push on through for the story. Toward the end I just always dragged the level difficulty slider to the easiest just so I could see what was happening next without too much trouble.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    KIU really needs to be played using a stand, though.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Yes. WE get it. Nintendo doesn't, and we won't stop bringing it up until they do.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Yes. WE get it. Nintendo doesn't, and we won't stop bringing it up until they do.

Which is fine but saying it here isn't really helping anything, is it?

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »

You know, I've been playing a bunch and I've been just fine on my XL without the stand. My only problem is I'm awful at the game itself. Gotta git gud at the dodging.

• Options

You know, I've been playing a bunch and I've been just fine on my XL without the stand. My only problem is I'm awful at the game itself. Gotta git gud at the dodging.

Try adjusting the reticle's sensitivity. It helps a lot.

• Options
    I got a stand from a friend.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I got a stand from a friend.

Well, you'd better use it, or else!

• Options
    Or what, Nintendo is gonna break my han-

oh right

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.