As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Industry Thread] Will MS' VR headset let you watch yourself or others through Kinect?

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Nintendo has an awful brand image. I can't go anywhere and mention that I own a Wii U without getting heckled. It was the same with the Wii, except that had the advantage of the "blue ocean" crowd that has since moved on to other distractions. It's particularly bad when shopping. Who wants to go buy a Wii U game when you are going to get that fucking attitude from the register biscuit working the counter? Thank God for digital distribution.

Tell them they can fuck right off. Then buy and enjoy your video game.

Personally, if someone did that I'd pull out my phone and order it from Amazon instead. In front of him.

I actually did this very thing. When I tried to buy a Vita at GameStop the guy kept trying to upsell me on the 3G model or try to get me to buy a used Wi Fi model, telling me I just wouldn't be able to find a new Wi Fi model anywhere in town.

While he was going through that whole routine, I used my phone to order a Vita from Amazon. It was on my desk at work the following day.
    They still try to up-sell people? Does GameStop want to go out of business?

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • EmbassyEmbassy Captain CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah every time I'm playing a game and I mention "Man this game would be awesome on Wii U!" (most recently, the gather-and-build survival FPS called Rust, built on the Unity engine), the chat immediately fills up with "LOL WII U" and such. It's annoying to have to constantly put up with that.

Add me on Wii U! NNID: DJEmbassy
    Add me on 3DS! 3351-4071-0684
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Embassy wrote: »
    Yeah every time I'm playing a game and I mention "Man this game would be awesome on Wii U!" (most recently, the gather-and-build survival FPS called Rust, built on the Unity engine), the chat immediately fills up with "LOL WII U" and such. It's annoying to have to constantly put up with that.

In fairness Rust is a large scale persistent multiplayer game and Nintendo has a recent history of being clueless with online architecture. That game would be a terrible fit.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »
    Nintendo has an awful brand image. I can't go anywhere and mention that I own a Wii U without getting heckled. It was the same with the Wii, except that had the advantage of the "blue ocean" crowd that has since moved on to other distractions. It's particularly bad when shopping. Who wants to go buy a Wii U game when you are going to get that fucking attitude from the register biscuit working the counter? Thank God for digital distribution.

Personally, if someone did that I'd pull out my phone and order it from Amazon instead. In front of him.

I actually did this very thing. When I tried to buy a Vita at GameStop the guy kept trying to upsell me on the 3G model or try to get me to buy a used Wi Fi model, telling me I just wouldn't be able to find a new Wi Fi model anywhere in town.

While he was going through that whole routine, I used my phone to order a Vita from Amazon. It was on my desk at work the following day.

It often works, that's why they do it. And the whole "eff you I got mine on Amazon!" thing is silly. The employees would be fired if they didn't go through their scripts. Order on Amazon for better pricing, not to screw over a wage slave who didn't do anything wrong.

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Nintendo has scraped the bottom of their franchise stables with Rosalina and Wii Fit trainer lady.
    Imagine, instead, Smash Bros. Wii U: Sega vs Nintendo.
    Sakurai picks wacky shit because he's, well, Sakurai.

We'll know we're at the bottom of the barrel when Waluigi is a character.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Wanna guess who's on top of the UK charts?
    Square Enix's Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition has taken top place in the latest UK all-format chart.

69 per cent of Tomb Raider copies were bought for PlayStation 4, UK numbers company Chart-Track revealed, leaving just 31 per cent on Xbox One.

The next-gen re-release is the first major launch of the year, and the first time in weeks that FIFA 14 has slipped into second place.

That said, FIFA was still less than 500 copies behind.

The rest of the top 10 remained largely unchanged - so too with the whole top 40. Call of Duty: Ghosts was third, Battlefield 4 fourth and Lego Marvel fifth.

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag sixth, Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition seventh, GTA5 eighth, Need for Speed: Rivals ninth, while Killzone: Shadow Fall was 10th.

And 69% is on the PS4, that can say a lot.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Ardent wrote: »

It often works, that's why they do it. And the whole "eff you I got mine on Amazon!" thing is silly. The employees would be fired if they didn't go through their scripts. Order on Amazon for better pricing, not to screw over a wage slave who didn't do anything wrong.

Upselling is the only way anybody stays in business. Unfortunately, it's much easier for companies like Amazon that can harvest immense amounts of data about you, then run it through a data blend with billions of other people, to put a little bar of, "You might also like these things" at the bottom of the page. Amazon's approach is way more likely to be something you want, so you don't find it as obtrusive.

Retail stores just have to ask you outright if you want to preorder "Other Blockbuster for same system you just bought" or buy the protection plan.

In fact, some of those Gamestop employees might not really mind if you buy a single game on amazon rather than from them, if that's all you were buying. Gamestop itself doesn't like it, but register biscuit #24 probably has some metrics he has to meet where people who only buy one item and don't buy a protection plan or membership are actually worse than no customer at all. That's pretty much how all retail metrics work. To the guy on the register, a single item no-upsell buyer is fucking up his averages and going to get him in trouble with his boss.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    That Tomb Raider. Failing Square all over again.

It's why the Japanese release of Lightning Returns wasn't a super success.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So I guess you all saw the trailer for the Need For Speed movie during the Super Bowl? Yeah. So most of us would expect EA to leverage that shit, and the company is ON IT.
    The UK branch of Ghost Games has reportedly been hit by layoffs, resulting in the unannounced Need for Speed title it was focusing on being put on ice.

Eurogamer reports that sources in Guildford revealed late last week that all artists had been let go, though coders were offered jobs on other EA titles. Polygon heard separately that all contractors were let go, while full-timers were offered places working on Visceral's rumoured Battlefield game, with EA issuing a statement to the site which explains it has "entered a consultation period for some positions in our Ghost Games U.K. studio."

As a result of the move, the future of the Need for Speed franchise is now uncertain. Need for Speed: Rivals was developed by Ghost and, following this, the studio was then given control of the franchise from Criterion in the middle of last year. Rumours now suggest any future entries may be handled by the Gothenburg branch of Ghost Games, though this is unconfirmed.

The reports of the layoffs come shortly after Criterion founders Alex Ward and Fiona Sperry announced their plans to leave the studio and EA to set up a new development outfit. We recently spoke to Criterion's new general manager about the studio's plans, when we were told that we should expect a game reveal closer to E3.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/03/need-for-speed-developer-ghost-games-hit-by-layoffs

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014

Good thing you weren't trying to buy a Nintendo system in that story.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I realized yesterday that Nintendo is in the best position of the console manufacturers to transition to an all digital ecosystem. They already don't have any backing from third party developers and retailers hardly carry their products anyway.

Nintendo could follow Steam's lead, although it might be too late to pre-empt Valve's invasion of the living room.

Supposedly Nintendo's made some strong inroads into digital sales of Wii U/3DS stuff, at least according to their press releases. I'm curious to see how they compare with digital sales proportions at Microsoft and Sony.

Speaking of which, Sony PlayStation Plus memberships have tripled after the launch of the PS4.
    The launch of the PS4 caused the number of PlayStation Plus subscriptions to triple, Sony has announced.

The news came courtesy of Sony UK boss Fergal Gara, who made the revelation at the PS Vita Slim event IGN attended yesterday.

While Gara highlighted that needing PS Plus in order to play PS4 games online undoubtedly played a part in the spike, he also expressed his confidence that the value offered by the service was a driving force behind the increased uptake.

Elsewhere in the briefing, Gara revealed that there is now 1.5 PS4 consoles in the UK for every Xbox One.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/31/ps-plus-subscriptions-triple-following-ps4-launch

It probably also helped that they're actually advertising the goddamn thing to non-enthusiasts for the first time (via a voucher for a month of free PS+ in every PS4 box).

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Well I assume it'd pretty much have to triple when it's required for online multiplayer.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/03/nintendo-president-elaborates-companys-smart-device-strategy/
    “Consumers who acquired information only through TV or other mass media in the past now get their information through smart devices or the Internet,” Iwata explained to those in attendance.

“However, we cannot expect consumers to activate our application every day if we only establish a channel that is solely dedicated to advertising,” Iwata said. “We would have to make efforts to provide a channel for consumers that makes them entertained, pleased and happy in order to have them use our application frequently. The application market for smart devices is already extremely competitive, so it is generally very difficult to have consumers activate a single application on a continual basis.”

Smartest move would be Animal Crossing: New Leaf: Ad Edition. I don't expect it to be that clever though.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm so confused on what they are going to do. They say it's not a game, but it's suppose to push advertisements? Then they say if it's just ads people won't keep coming back..

STOP BEING SO DAMN SECRETIVE!

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm so confused on what they are going to do. They say it's not a game, but it's suppose to push advertisements? Then they say if it's just ads people won't keep coming back..

Please, understand.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    I wonder if they have a plan for what they're going to do or are just spinning their wheels until they figure something out.

• bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I wonder if they have a plan for what they're going to do or are just spinning their wheels until they figure something out.

I'll cop to being overly cynical at times but my guess is the latter. If I'm being forgiving, I think that they're hoping not to spoil their great idea before it's out there being great, but I don't really foresee a huge amount of hype for a social marketing app so I'm kind of at a loss myself.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
    Is it some sort of MiiVerse phone app or something?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

It seems pretty clear.

Ever use the live app? Its going to be like that but for miiverse with news and content and most likely the ability to post and purchase games from your phone.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So I guess you all saw the trailer for the Need For Speed movie during the Super Bowl? Yeah. So most of us would expect EA to leverage that shit, and the company is ON IT.
    The UK branch of Ghost Games has reportedly been hit by layoffs, resulting in the unannounced Need for Speed title it was focusing on being put on ice.

Eurogamer reports that sources in Guildford revealed late last week that all artists had been let go, though coders were offered jobs on other EA titles. Polygon heard separately that all contractors were let go, while full-timers were offered places working on Visceral's rumoured Battlefield game, with EA issuing a statement to the site which explains it has "entered a consultation period for some positions in our Ghost Games U.K. studio."

As a result of the move, the future of the Need for Speed franchise is now uncertain. Need for Speed: Rivals was developed by Ghost and, following this, the studio was then given control of the franchise from Criterion in the middle of last year. Rumours now suggest any future entries may be handled by the Gothenburg branch of Ghost Games, though this is unconfirmed.

The reports of the layoffs come shortly after Criterion founders Alex Ward and Fiona Sperry announced their plans to leave the studio and EA to set up a new development outfit. We recently spoke to Criterion's new general manager about the studio's plans, when we were told that we should expect a game reveal closer to E3.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/03/need-for-speed-developer-ghost-games-hit-by-layoffs

They had a superbowl commercial for their franchise yesterday, and they aren't going to release a big rig truckers clone quality game to coincide with the movie? We are officially in bizarro world.

steam_sig.png
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Not trademarked at all.

Prepare for Assassin's Creed V.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Cade wrote: »

"Tom Clancy's Watch_Dogs"
    1) Was I the the only one confusing "Sleeping Dogs" and "Watch Dogs" for a while?

2) How long is UbiSoft going to keep using Tom Clancy's name? The guy's deceased. I doubt he has much input in the games these days.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

1) Was I the the only one confusing "Sleeping Dogs" and "Watch Dogs" for a while?

2) How long is UbiSoft going to keep using Tom Clancy's name? The guy's deceased. I doubt he has much input in the games these days.

Clancy had little to do with TC games long before he died. It's a brand is all.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, Ubisoft purchased naming rights from Tom Clancy a couple years back, and now holds exclusive rights to name things as Tom Clancy's X in the realm of video games.

Here's the original press release from 2008 which is a pretty fun read
    http://www.ubi.com/US/News/Info.aspx?nId=5162

"Today, Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announces that it has concluded an agreement with Mr. Tom Clancy to acquire all intellectual property rights to the Tom Clancy name, on a perpetual basis and free of all related future royalty payments, for use in video games and ancillary products including related books, movies and merchandising products. "

Dehumanized on
    It'd be hilarious if somehow Watch_Dogs gets transformed into Assassin's Creed 5.

That's... disturbing. Maybe the Wii U thing is just the first indication the entire game's getting shitcanned?

Or maybe it's just going to get another name. Who knows.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    It'd be hilarious if somehow Watch_Dogs gets transformed into Assassin's Creed 5.

Pretty sure there were rumors that it was in the same world at the very least... that a Templar / Assassin struggle was at the center, just devoid of any of the Assassin-specific and Animus mechanics. It would be someone who succeeded through deception and hacking rather than hiding and stabbing.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    That's... disturbing. Maybe the Wii U thing is just the first indication the entire game's getting shitcanned?

Or maybe it's just going to get another name. Who knows.

I really can't believe they would shitcan watch_dogs. I would say its in the realm of impossible, without another 6+ month delay first.

steam_sig.png
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Assassin's Creed: Modern Warfare

kyrcl.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Clancy had little to do with TC games long before he died. It's a brand is all.

"Tom Clancy" is shorthand for "Top Secret US Government Operations vs Terrorists game"

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I don't really believe this at all but I had a fun thought that Watch Dogs was a secret Assassin's Creed game all along.

You get halfway through, a lone vigilante causing mayhem, and are approached by some shadowy figures. "Hey, our interests are aligned, work with us. Here's a new jacket." Assassin's hoodie.

All as a big marketing ploy to get even more people in on their flagship series. "You like this game? Guess what, yeah, it's Assassin's Creed. If you haven't been playing those, this is what you've been missing all along. Buy into the franchise."

But then somebody ran some numbers and decided that the Assassin's Creed name would sell more units of Watch Dogs than Watch Dogs might generate for the Assassin's Creed series.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    WHATCH DOGS IS DESMOND CONFIRMED

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Watch Dogs
    Dogs
    Kennel
    Kenway
    Assassin's Creed
    Half Life 3

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Half Life 3

So Watch_Dogs is never being released?

kyrcl.png
    I don't really believe this at all but I had a fun thought that Watch Dogs was a secret Assassin's Creed game all along.

You get halfway through, a lone vigilante causing mayhem, and are approached by some shadowy figures. "Hey, our interests are aligned, work with us. Here's a new jacket." Assassin's hoodie.

All as a big marketing ploy to get even more people in on their flagship series. "You like this game? Guess what, yeah, it's Assassin's Creed. If you haven't been playing those, this is what you've been missing all along. Buy into the franchise."

But then somebody ran some numbers and decided that the Assassin's Creed name would sell more units of Watch Dogs than Watch Dogs might generate for the Assassin's Creed series.

This is, depressingly, the most likely scenario. So much for new IP.

I tried hard to get into Assassin's Creed. I really did. I love the whole concept of stealth assassination. But for whatever reason, I just couldn't feel like I was enjoying it enough to continue bothering. Given that I've heard a bunch of post-play "eeehhhhhh"s from the last few games (maybe not AC4), I might not be alone.

Actually its been the other way around, there making a standalone pirate game because AC4 worked out. They are going to start using AC series to prototype period action/adventure games more and more I bet.

steam_sig.png
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Stolen from gaf:
    The Puzzle & Dragons IP (the smartphone game, the 3DS game and other related products) brought in ¥148.584 billion ($1.46 billion) in revenue last year for GungHo. Average of ~$4 million per day.

I, uh. Huh.

[edit]

This is there platform split for the whole company but it turns out that P&D is the vast majority:

Sales share:
    Google: ¥81.543 billion
    Apple: ¥69.162 billion
    Others: ¥6.534 billion

PC online sales: ¥6.007 billion

Interesting that Android would be higher than iOS sales. I wonder if IAP's level the playing field a bit.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
This discussion has been closed.