As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The first post-break [Giant Bomb] thread

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    I'm buying Jazzpunk practically sight unseen

I'll pop in a little later
    same except "literally"

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah I still want Half-Life 3 to exist so I can see how the story ends, I'm hardly expecting it to be revolutionary just... damn it I need to know what happens next.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I want to play super metroid

but purchasing on a wii is fine I guess, unless it dies and I can't play it any more. I also have to go get my wii wherever it is

but like why can't I buy it on my 3ds nintendo

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    so, bravely default's combat, specifically the concept of banking turns, as I understand it

the whole system is predicated on BP, which I'm sure are called Brave Points or something like that

you can do the standard "attack man, magic at man, steal item from man" actions and it takes your BP from 0 to -1 you can't act until your BP recover to 0, so it just plays out like a typical "you go, then I go" turn based jurp thing

however, you can Default on a turn, entering a defensive stance that adds 1 to your BP

that BP can be cashed in with a Brave attack, that adds an additional turn to your current one

you can stack up to 3 BP this way, so you could conceivably take 4 turns in a row

you can also do this and go into negative BP if you want, you just can't act till you get back to 0

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    so, bravely default's combat, specifically the concept of banking turns, as I understand it

the whole system is predicated on BP, which I'm sure are called Brave Points or something like that

you can do the standard "attack man, magic at man, steal item from man" actions and it takes your BP from 0 to -1 you can't act until your BP recover to 0, so it just plays out like a typical "you go, then I go" turn based jurp thing

however, you can Default on a turn, entering a defensive stance that adds 1 to your BP

that BP can be cashed in with a Brave attack, that adds an additional turn to your current one

you can stack up to 3 BP this way, so you could conceivably take 4 turns in a row

you can also do this and go into negative BP if you want, you just can't act till you get back to 0

You can go to -4 without ever Defaulting. This means you can take 4 turns at the start of a battle and wipe out random encounters in one round. It's pretty rad.

• Options
    It also means Default/Defend isn't a stupid waste of time option like it is in almost every other jurp.

• Options
    yeah but enemies can brave and default as well, I believe, I can imagine that strategy losing some steam later on if/when they get smart

• Options
    the only other jurp I remember actively defending in is Persona 3/4 because it covered elemental weaknesses

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

You can go to -4 without ever Defaulting. This means you can take 4 turns at the start of a battle and wipe out random encounters in one round. It's pretty rad.

Also you can turn random encounters entirely off if you want. On the fly! You can also increase the rate if you're trying to grind.

It seems to be a jurp that's determined to take all the annoying things that are usually in jurps and make them as friendly as possible so you can just enjoy what you're actually here for.

sig.gif
  • Options
    yeah but enemies can brave and default as well, I believe, I can imagine that strategy losing some steam later on if/when they get smart

Definitely. They can fuck you up.

• Options
    captaink wrote: »

Definitely. They can fuck you up.

and like simben said, you can either embrace that challenge or decide it's not your bag and tell enemy encounters to fuck right off

it's really winning me over on a design level so far

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I would be okay if the Half Life series ended. Just, you know, if they come out and say something about it being ended.

This whole decade of silence about if they're working on HL3 or Episode 3 or whatever is officially old. If you're still working on something, say it; if it's all dead, say it. Just say something and let the speculation die finally.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    640.jpg

i want you guys to know that this is happening and the director of legally blonde is directing it

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I mean for fucks sake we had more news coming out of Duke Nukem Forever

If your not going to finish it just release the script and let the black mesa guys make it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I really like Adult Swim Games they publish some super unique games and I'm glad they exist

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    OH MAN I just got bravely second

Bravely Second is a mechanic that allows you to act whenever instead of waiting for your turn

actions performed during BS cost a specific kind of currency, gained once every eight hours while the 3DS is in sleep mode, or by picking it up with real $$$

also I think that's where some of the friendlist stuff comes into play?

It's a cool concept, not the BIGGEST fan of the freemium stuff but I believe that's the only time the game asks you to buy extra stuff

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    the only other jurp I remember actively defending in is Persona 3/4 because it covered elemental weaknesses

The SMT and Persona games are both good about making the things that are pointless in other JRPGs hugely important.

Defending is a big example, not to mention having status effects be very potent.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    can we make 2014 the year of "not liking something in a videogame but using an adjective to describe it other than gross"

because i'm so fucking tired of seeing the word gross used to describe something you don't like in a videogame

Yes this please.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Bravely Second is a mechanic that allows you to act whenever instead of waiting for your turn

actions performed during BS cost a specific kind of currency, gained once every eight hours while the 3DS is in sleep mode, or by picking it up with real $$$

It's a cool concept, not the BIGGEST fan of the freemium stuff but I believe that's the only time the game asks you to buy extra stuff

I was really

Really hoping that paying extra for stuff in full retail games was at least going to stay a western thing

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    best line of the game so far
    I'VE THE EYES OF A HAWK AND THE NOSE OF SEVEN WOLVES

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    640.jpg

i want you guys to know that this is happening and the director of legally blonde is directing it

Tell me right now if it has Linda Hamilton and Sigourney Weaver.

sig.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    640.jpg

Why do I feel like this is going to be Sucker Punch 2.0

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I would be okay if the Half Life series ended. Just, you know, if they come out and say something about it being ended.

This whole decade of silence about if they're working on HL3 or Episode 3 or whatever is officially old. If you're still working on something, say it; if it's all dead, say it. Just say something and let the speculation die finally.

Or you know just put out a goddamned motioncomic or something the last episode ended on the biggest cliffhanger possible

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

I was really

Really hoping that paying extra for stuff in full retail games was at least going to stay a western thing

given that the valve model of chests came from the tried and true method of gatchapon vending machines?

D O U B T

I T

• Options

I was really

It wasn't in the original Japanese version, so you're still kinda right.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Japanese games have literally been selling packs of xp and in game currency and skill points and shit as dlc for years now.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    640.jpg

Why do I feel like this is going to be Sucker Punch 2.0

The first official synopsis had to be edited because it was pretty sexist and mentioned that they disguised themselves as callgirls, which was finally what people decided crossed the line. The new synopsis is still pretty bad, but no callgirl mentions so

What I'm saying is it is going to be a bad film.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    640.jpg

i do not have the slightest idea what i am supposed to think about this

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    640.jpg

This might be the most off putting thing I've seen all week

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    take a note from smt and gain bravely second points by hitting weaknesses or enemies hitting your nulls/absorbs/reflects, expanding the system where characters use skills to take hits for each other to cover their weaknesses

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    also I pulled that image from the avclub so i don't think that is really the image they will use, but Expendabelles really is the working title right now.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Integrating a paid mechanic directly into the combat of a full priced game?

Pass!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

You never have to use Bravely Second if you don't want to, but it has a sort of odd mechanic tied to it. Normally damage from a single attack is capped at 9999, but during Bravely Second you can exceed that limit.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Japanese games have literally been selling packs of xp and in game currency and skill points and shit as dlc for years now.

As DLC is a key difference because you assumedly have to go to a different menu/store to access it

It's like how in Dragon Age one they shoved that dude right in your camp to literally try to sell you the DLC

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Integrating a paid mechanic directly into the combat of a full priced game?

Pass!

My understanding is the combat is not balanced around this mechanic and also you don't have to pay for it anyway.

So it's a silly thing the write the game off for.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Yeah I've never ever used it, I've got three points all ready to use if I ever see the neeed

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    yeah reading up on it, they added bravely second into Bravely Default: For the Sequel, which is the version out in the west

• Options
    That mechanic is powered by streetpasses (as is the town-building minigame). You can essentially buy streetpasses for that purpose.

Neither of those mechanics were in the original game and therefore the game isn't balanced with them in mind.

If you want to send a message that microtransactions are bad, the thing to do is buy this game and then never touch the microtransactions. Not buying it sends the message "I hate jurps".

sig.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what impact will this have on the expendables cinematic universe

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.