Options

For All You Fast Food Workers Out There...

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I got some toe curlers I might post later if I remember

One quick one though. We had a guy get covered in lime one time and his quick thinking friend did what most people would do - put the poor guy under the safety shower.

The problem with this, however, is that quicklime reacts violently with water and becomes very hot. Which yeah, you can imagine how being covered in lime and then drenched in water would work out

Read the MSDS people, it might save your life!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    How come you never hear about cool chemical accidents? Like a sulphur hexaflouride leak in the ventilation system, causing everyone to sound like Darth Vader? The worst we've ever had here was when I put a bunch of bleach in the toilet to make scrubbing the bowl easier and my boss decided to take a wee. He said that's the first time he's ever cut one short.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    wuss

a little chlorine gas never hurt nobody

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    One time when I was much younger and working in a concession I managed to cut a surprisingly big chunk out of my fingertip with an onion slicer.
    Mostly I remember being frustrated because I was almost done slicing onions but bled all over everything so I had to do it again.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Guy I knew at summer camp used to work at, I think it was a McDonalds, and told me one time they mixed the solution they used to clean the floors too strong and it started eating away at their shoes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Everyone remembers my halon story, right? If not, I'll dig it up when I get home.

Tell meeeeeeeee!

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    JennyC wrote: »
    -Same branch. We had a rodent problem. We decide to lay glue traps. Glue traps do not immediately kill the rodents. I might add that all of my co-workers at the time were dainty little bitties that could not handle rodents. They made me dispose of the live trapped rodents into a garbage back and take it to the dumpster.

I hope you put them out of their misery rather than let them starve to death. Glue traps are extremely cruel. :(

Alas I did not think to do that. :( I was more kinda grossed out dealing with the fact that several were trying to get free and ended up breaking their arms in the process wriggling around like crazy. They also were....large...like small kitten large. I ended up having to get some spare work gloves I kept in my car for mechanical issues to deal with them since they were quite bitey. I ended up taking the rest of the day off after nearly cursing out my manager for making me do that instead of having the exterminator show up to take care of this.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Everyone remembers my halon story, right? If not, I'll dig it up when I get home.

Tell meeeeeeeee!

I have a halon story. We were told if the engine room ever caught fire, we were to hold our breath as if it were our last, pull the cord for the halon system and then get the fuck out to open deck as soon as fucking possible.

That shit is really cool, but insanely dangerous.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I got some toe curlers I might post later if I remember

One quick one though. We had a guy get covered in lime one time and his quick thinking friend did what most people would do - put the poor guy under the safety shower.

The problem with this, however, is that quicklime reacts violently with water and becomes very hot. Which yeah, you can imagine how being covered in lime and then drenched in water would work out

Read the MSDS people, it might save your life!

AUGH

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Tell meeeeeeeee!

Twenty hours late, but I'll do it this evening.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    How come you never hear about cool chemical accidents? Like a sulphur hexaflouride leak in the ventilation system, causing everyone to sound like Darth Vader? The worst we've ever had here was when I put a bunch of bleach in the toilet to make scrubbing the bowl easier and my boss decided to take a wee. He said that's the first time he's ever cut one short.

Chemical Accidents always remind me of this old gem, And it happened at Walmart, BECAUSE OF COURSE IT HAPPENED AT WALMART

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2047203/Walmart-bleach-fight-Baltimore-Theresa-Monique-Jefferson-puts-19-hospital.html

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I was at a re-enactment and we were being inspected in ranks. The officer gets up to this guy and the guy snaps his musket up. The officer opens the frizzen to check how clean the pan was and mentions how the hammers is not at half-cock. The guy then raises his hand to move the hammer right as the officer snaps the steel frizzen back into place trapping the guys thumb between the steel and the razor sharp flint. Almost cut his thumb completely off.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Is it wrong, that I was relieved when all that happened was he almost lost a thumb, I was expecting a much worse ending.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Yeah. You don't screw around with firearms, as my various uncles and cousins in Wyoming have learned plenty of times.

Why was there a flint on a reenactment piece anyways?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Wooo! Wyoming! We numba one!

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I once had my foot run over by a dump truck fully loaded with asphalt. It scared the shit out of me but luckily i had my steeltoes on and there was no damage.

After my foot was free though i had to do a double take - i thought maybe the horrible pain just hadnt kicked in yet.

• Options
    Ya the day you find out the hard way that your steeltoes were a good idea, is usually a weird moment.

• Options

Tell meeeeeeeee!

@Yukira
    Halon is a name for a bunch of different chemicals; in my old gig in the military, we used halomethane in our fire suppression systems and we just called it 'halon'.

One fine day, one of our vehicles suffered a short in one of the electrical systems, nothing severe, it was roughly the equivalent of an ignition switch dying in a car; we could run the vehicle for normal operations, but every time we killed the engine, we had to get a jump from another AAV.

Suffice to say, running a 908-cubic-inch engine generates a good deal of residual heat, so much so that the fire suppression system popped because the halon tanks were right next to the engine compartment and the seals couldn't take the pressure anymore. So, as physics would follow, a liter of 'halon' filled the vehicle and of course some stupid sonovabitch who shall remain nameless decided that we needed to be 'tactical' and button the vehicle up completely airtight on the last leg back to the maintenance ramp.

Folks, a liter of halomethane fills that cabin up pretty quick. As it was explained to me and my fellow jarheads, halomethane bonds on a molecular level to oxygen to expedite the suppression of fire. That's really cool when there's a fire. It's not really cool when the cabin is sealed up airtight and you're already breathing carbon-monoxide-enriched-engine-exhaust.

I think I may have hacked for a solid ten minutes, I got a face full of it but managed to drop the rear hatch in time to start tossing my buddies out and get some partial fresh air. One guy was right next to the tanks and got a double-lungfull; we kept hearing him cough and cough in this hazy white mist that was billowing out of the cabin, couldn't see him though. I honestly don't remember what crazy motherfucker took psychic control over my limbs, I certainly wasn't strong enough to drag 235 lbs. of twitching dead weight out of that cabin, but I managed to pull both of our hacking carcasses out of that shit. My eyes were completely bloodshot and my lips were bluish; my buddy went into intensive care for a couple of days, spent another week on light duty.

I've never been more terrified in my life; the sensation of sucking in the cool night air but getting no oxygen was one I don't care to repeat.

• Options
    Dang.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I think chemical asphyxiation would be one the most horrible ways to die

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    Being in the military gives you lots of fun stories! I was an avionics (electronics) tech in the Marine Corps air wing. Here are some of mine

Cutting off half my thumbnail story (The cutting off of the thumbnail wasn't the worst part)
    To strip wires when doing electrical work, we were supposed to use a pair of wire strippers. They look like pliers with small holes between the two halves that allow you to pull the insulation off without yanking all the individual wiring out inside. Well, we don't have time for that shit, so most people used a disposable folding razor blade. Just put the wire between the blade and its sheath, squeeze very lightly, rotate and pull! Voila! Bare wire!

To this day I'm not entirely sure what happened, but after rotating the blade around the wire I inattentively yanked on the blade and noticed very quickly something was wrong. Funny part was, after noticing the right half of my left thumbnail on the floor of the cockpit, looking at the exposed flesh on my thumb where my nail should be, putting two and two together, it still didn't hurt yet. Kinda warm.

Well, I left my thumbnail on the cockpit, asked another guy to inventory my tool box, grabbed the closest rag that had the least amount of hydraulic fluid and dirt on it, wrapped that around my thumb and walked to the ship sick bay. It was sitting in the sick bay that my thumb really started to hurt, like someone was scrubbing under my nail with steel wool. Eventually the doc came in, said "Yup, you missing some thumbnail". Wrapped it up and gave me some pain meds. Told me to take the rest of the day off and come back tomorrow to change the bandage. Now comes the bad part.

You see, they didn't wrap my thumb in the nice nonstick type gauze. Nope, plain old standard gauze. The stuff that allows alllllllll the fluids to soak through, harden and cement itself to my newly exposed thumb flesh. I was not happy when they told me they would have to just yank the gauze off. After expressing my displeasure, I grabbed hold of a table with my free hand and prepped. I can't even describe what the pain felt like, but I know that halfway through the punch I threw at the corpsman holding my thumb, I got nauseous and dizzy, and then I found myself looking up at four different faces as they asked me if I was ok. I think it's crazy that I've broken both my arms in my life, but that gauze was the only thing that ever made me pass out. Anyway, since I missed the cuticle with the blade, my thumb nail grew back about 80% of the way. I still flinch when I hear a girl talking about breaking a fingernail though!

There was also the time I nearly sliced the tip of my left ring finger off. Working grave in the ship's chief's mess and prepping all the vegetables for the next day. Required a LOT of slicing by hand. Pans and pans of carrots and onions and tomatoes and whatever. I have no formal training, and with the dull as hell knives we were given it was probably just a matter of time before the knife slid off a tomato and into an appendage. When the corpsman stitched my finger back together is when I learned that when you are numbed up for stitches, they inject the numbing agent INTO the cut! I was not ready for that either. And of course, one of the non-biodegradable stitches had to break and get swallowed up by the healing skin until I could pick it out myself. The looks I got when I asked people to dig the stitch out while I hold the hole open! Priceless.

Couple short ones
    -I almost walked off a flight deck bomb chute into the Persian Gulf. My buddy yanked me back before I fell ~3 stories into the water. I'm not sure why someone thought that putting the bomb chute 3 feet away from the stairwell was a good idea.

-When working night shift while crossing the Atlantic, going at almost whatever the boats max speed was, someone reported they saw a chem light floating in the water behind us. Normally any indication that someone may have fallen off is cause for a "man overboard" drill, where everyone is woken up and reports in. In the meantime the ship starts to turn around and prep for possible search and rescue. Well, the officer on watch didn't want to irritate the captain with a possible false alarm so he just commanded us to check the shops that actually ran a night shift to see if anyone is missing. That would have really sucked for the infantry guy who fell off the cat walk cause he just wanted to smoke.

-When working night shift back in the US, we would regularly stay 13-14 hours a night because the SSGT that ran control hated his wife and he didn't want to go home. So we had to stay and be miserable with him.

That's all I can think of for now.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I met a guy in the service who forgot to release the bolt on a M2 .50 caliber machine gun before taking off the butt plate.

When the butt plate came off, the bolt released through his abdomen and embedded itself in the concrete wall behind him. Luckily enough, he was twisted to the side in such a fashion that it only shredded his intestines and nicked a kidney; if he had been dead center, he would have been cut in half.

D: Have you told that story before, or did I probably just hear a similar cautionary tale at some point?

When I was deployed, there was a guy in my brigade who took a .50 cal round to the butt cheek. Luckily for him, it came through the roof of his CHU when he was sleeping and had already expended most its energy. No one ever owned up to that one, I don't think.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    even with most of it's energy gone a .50 would blow up your whole goddamn butt

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    He did wind up going home, I think. This is admittedly a secondhand story, though I believed the person who I heard it from.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »
    I shuck a lot of oysters at my job and now and then I leave work with a band-aid on.

But holy balls you guys have set the bar pretty high for workplace injury stories.

These types of one-upmanship threads always tend to stretch my limits of believing stories of random people on the internet
    But...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Man, I'm so glad I have never taken a bullet. Closest I've ever gotten is when my cousin (who is sort of a dick) and I were out shooting in the mountains and we had this bowling pin, and we were blasting away at it with all manner of guns, and he tells me to get up close on it with the Mossberg and put a few shells into it, and I blast it and like the ENTIRE fucking shell of birdshot ricocheted back into my legs and I'm hopping around cursing and this motherfucker is literally immobilized on the ground with laughter.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hah that gauze sorry reminds me of the first time I broke my wrist. I found out in college I'm prone to vasovagal syncope. Mostly it didn't matter except when I injured myself ( or the one and only time I gave blood. That was a mess). It did however trigger on what seemed to be really minor stuff relative to the amount of injury I normally take. This is the story about when I found out what the heck it was.

When I went to the doctor to get the cast off, he was flexing my wrist and it kinda hurt. Shortly thereafter as he's giving me instructions I start feeling really woozy. I'm just thinking to myself, I'll just get through this, then I'll take the block walk back to my sister's house and sit down there.

Because my head was foggy enough it did not actually occur to me to tell the medical professional talking to me about it (why he didn't notice I don't know). So I'm just sitting there nodding and responding and actually managing to mostly track the conversation, and he sends me out to go schedule my follow-up. I schedule it at the desk and they give me my card. As I'm walking through to door into the waiting room, this lady says "You dropped it."
    I look at her and am like ".. dropped mwhat?"
    "Your appointment card. You dropped it." And she points to the floor.
    "Ohhh"
    So I bend down to pick it, letting go of the door which closes and hits me in the head. I grab the card make it one more step and the next thing I know I've got 3 nurses and about 5 old ladies in walkers standing over me. They then shuttled me back into the room I'd just left and wouldn't let me leave until my brother-in-law showed up to drive me back and my vitals all looked good. Which took a while since they couldn't get a blood pressure from me at all for a good 5-10 minutes.

The worst part was when I got back to their house I'd found I'd shat my pants.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man, some customers are just lucky I have the patience of a saint. I had this little couldn't have been more than 5 feet 130 pounds little drunken rageaholic screaming in my face , basically trying to pick a fight and he was just generally being the biggest asshole to everyone, but decided to focus it on me( I 'll share the story later maybe when I calm down ) , but just , I'm 6'2 , 235, I'm not a fighter, but dude, it would take me no effort whatsoever to turn you into a fine mist.

But nope, I just get to take abuse while I push your stupid ass into a cab and let your dumb ass survive on this planet another night, cause lord knows if I didn't end it you would have done it yourself later that night somehow anyway if I didn't cab your ass. AUGH PEOPLE SUCK RAARRRRG

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I was at a re-enactment and we were being inspected in ranks. The officer gets up to this guy and the guy snaps his musket up. The officer opens the frizzen to check how clean the pan was and mentions how the hammers is not at half-cock. The guy then raises his hand to move the hammer right as the officer snaps the steel frizzen back into place trapping the guys thumb between the steel and the razor sharp flint. Almost cut his thumb completely off.

I would have been so much happier not reading this story. I get to fire a musket almost daily for several months in the summer, which is mostly fun but also sometimes very scary. Actually I mostly get paranoid when taking the lock off for cleaning that this exact situation will occur. So. Thanks.

Also. When learning to fire a musket for the first time, my first shot went off without a hitch. And then when cocking for my second I managed to slice my pinky on the flint. And this was a brand new musket, so the flint was about as sharp as they get. It was the first time in my life I've ever needed stitches! That was a fun 'first day on the job' story I got to tell. And I still have the scar to use to warn the new guys.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    JennyCJennyC ComputerRegistered User regular

Alas I did not think to do that. :( I was more kinda grossed out dealing with the fact that several were trying to get free and ended up breaking their arms in the process wriggling around like crazy. They also were....large...like small kitten large. I ended up having to get some spare work gloves I kept in my car for mechanical issues to deal with them since they were quite bitey. I ended up taking the rest of the day off after nearly cursing out my manager for making me do that instead of having the exterminator show up to take care of this.

You should have drowned them. Or clobbered their heads with something heavy. That must have been a terrible experience for you. It's just another reason why those kinds of traps should NOT be used. I hate people sometimes. :/

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Tell meeeeeeeee!

@Yukira
    Halon is a name for a bunch of different chemicals; in my old gig in the military, we used halomethane in our fire suppression systems and we just called it 'halon'.

One fine day, one of our vehicles suffered a short in one of the electrical systems, nothing severe, it was roughly the equivalent of an ignition switch dying in a car; we could run the vehicle for normal operations, but every time we killed the engine, we had to get a jump from another AAV.

Suffice to say, running a 908-cubic-inch engine generates a good deal of residual heat, so much so that the fire suppression system popped because the halon tanks were right next to the engine compartment and the seals couldn't take the pressure anymore. So, as physics would follow, a liter of 'halon' filled the vehicle and of course some stupid sonovabitch who shall remain nameless decided that we needed to be 'tactical' and button the vehicle up completely airtight on the last leg back to the maintenance ramp.

Folks, a liter of halomethane fills that cabin up pretty quick. As it was explained to me and my fellow jarheads, halomethane bonds on a molecular level to oxygen to expedite the suppression of fire. That's really cool when there's a fire. It's not really cool when the cabin is sealed up airtight and you're already breathing carbon-monoxide-enriched-engine-exhaust.

I think I may have hacked for a solid ten minutes, I got a face full of it but managed to drop the rear hatch in time to start tossing my buddies out and get some partial fresh air. One guy was right next to the tanks and got a double-lungfull; we kept hearing him cough and cough in this hazy white mist that was billowing out of the cabin, couldn't see him though. I honestly don't remember what crazy motherfucker took psychic control over my limbs, I certainly wasn't strong enough to drag 235 lbs. of twitching dead weight out of that cabin, but I managed to pull both of our hacking carcasses out of that shit. My eyes were completely bloodshot and my lips were bluish; my buddy went into intensive care for a couple of days, spent another week on light duty.

I've never been more terrified in my life; the sensation of sucking in the cool night air but getting no oxygen was one I don't care to repeat.

did they give you a medal for this?

because you probably deserved one

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    While on medic duty in Afghanistan I once treated an ANA soldier who had was wearing his scalp as an comb-over.. Apparently they had slid of the road when an IED went of near them and he had been dragged along the road.

At the same incident one of my buddies was doing a head to toe check and managed to get his fingers inside the back of a mans head.

Afghanistan is pretty fucked up place at times.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Chemical Accidents always remind me of this old gem, And it happened at Walmart, BECAUSE OF COURSE IT HAPPENED AT WALMART

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2047203/Walmart-bleach-fight-Baltimore-Theresa-Monique-Jefferson-puts-19-hospital.html

Sounds like they really...

Cleaned the place out.

I'll get my coat

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Tell meeeeeeeee!

@Yukira

Halon fire extinguishant is FUCKING DANGEROUS, hence its illegality in Australia. DeeDubs is right, it works by stripping the oxygen out of the air so that fire can't burn. Get it in your lungs in a strong enough concentration, and not only does it stop you from being able to absorb oxygen through your lungs, it starts to strip any oxygen molecules off of cells it contacts...

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Yeah my work used to have halon systems in a few places but they were all replaced because of those concerns.

• Options
    I think they're still using a Halon system in my lab. I should probably ask, although I haven't had a reason to find out the hard way yet.

• Options
    MadEddy wrote: »
    D: Have you told that story before, or did I probably just hear a similar cautionary tale at some point?

I think it's pretty much ubiquitous for anyone with any experience around Ma Deuce; there's at least one careless soul in almost every unit. IIRC, it happens at least once a year and with a military force as large as the U.S. has, it's a statistical probability that borders on certainty.
    Shorty wrote: »

Negative, Constructionman.

I did get a pat on the back from my favorite Gunny, which was roughly equivalent.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »

I think it's pretty much ubiquitous for anyone with any experience around Ma Deuce; there's at least one careless soul in almost every unit. IIRC, it happens at least once a year and with a military force as large as the U.S. has, it's a statistical probability that borders on certainty.
    Shorty wrote: »

Negative, Constructionman.

I did get a pat on the back from my favorite Gunny, which was roughly equivalent.

The 50 cal is a surprisingly complex weapon with a lot small parts and when something becomes routine carelessness sets in.

We had a guy that got his lower body sprinkled with tiny holes from a round that cooked off in a 50 cal. The fragments somehow managed to miss his dick, which was an endless source of joke material.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    "target too small"?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    You ever have an experience as a customer so bad that it makes you stop and think and try to remember the last time you had service this bad?

I just had that. And you know what I came up with?

Never. This is officially the worst service I've ever had. And the only time that comes close is the last time I was at that same restaurant.

So I just got done giving feedback on their website, and Monday I'm calling the health department because oh my dear sweet christmas can you please at least put some sanitizer on your hands after handling money and the register before you start handling food directly with those same bare hands? I know putting gloves on or - shocker - washing your fucking hands is obviously too much to ask. Just, you know, just give me a little TSA treatment. Pretend like you're doing something to address the obvious problem. Make me think you care, whether or not you actually do.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.