Options

For All You Fast Food Workers Out There...

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Oh god horrible jobs

The two worst jobs I ever had were both ones where I worked on the phone.

First was working as a collection agent. Being trained on how to manipulate people, skirt the edges of or break every consumer debt protection law. The worst thing was the employer treated its employees the same way they treated debtors - lying, manipulating, breaking labour laws. My outlook became so negative and jaded while I worked there. I finally quit when they tried to strong-arm me into working a stat holiday. Never mind the fact that it is illegal to call people on stat holidays, not like the company cared about that anyways.

The second worst job I ever had was working for a company that employed OnStar operators. The employer wasn't OnStar itself, but if you pressed the button in your car it was employees of this company who would talk to you. I didn't mind the actual work part of it, most customers were fine and the stupid ones I found more funny than anything. A surprisingly large amount of people would think I was a computer or a robot which I found hilarious.

The thing that made that place shitty was how demeaning the company was to its employees. For example, they would count the minutes you would take for a bathroom break and then a manager would come and hassle you. You know how fucking demeaning it is to have to justify why you took 11 minutes to take a shit? The other thing that really got to me was how they tried to dangle this $200 reward in your face for getting passed your probation period, as if it was a million dollars. Every day they would bring it up as a reminder to be on your best behaviour and make sure you hit all your stats. "Wouldn't it be a shame if you didn't get that $200? That sure is a lot of money. Think about all the things you can do with that money". It especially rubbed me the wrong way because the job I had directly before that paid me about that much for a single day of work, and here these fuckers were - going on as if that was a huge pile of money.

Today I am actually thankful I had those shitty jobs, because they motivated me to go back to school and now I have a real career working for a real company.

Its funny when I look back at all the jobs I've worked. Without fail, every single trades or manual labour based job I've worked at treats you with more respect than those call centers. And a very common attitude I found in those call centers was to look down upon manual labour or trades. "at least I'm not out in the cold digging ditches *smarmy grin*". Every time someone said that I died a little inside because I fucking wished I was out in the cold digging ditches.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    a thing you would sometimes see people do was furtively grab a chicken nugget, wrap it in the horrid plastic cheese and dip it in ketchup/mustard for a quick illicit snack

there would always be a manager watching the cameras and that person would always get hauled into the office and fired

one time the manager came out while a girl was doing it and slowly, deliberately copied what she had done while he fired her

i went back there recently with my brother, 10 years after i left, and the exact same people are there doing the exact same things

Beasteh on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    was the cheese-wrapping the problem
    would they have not got fired if they'd gone for the naked nug

• Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Shaebylove wrote: »
    "I think I'd rather be pouring concrete than be stuck here."

Working with concrete sucks. If you wear the right protection it's not too bad, but handling concrete with jeans and no gloves sucks. The concrete is a bit corrosive and eats at your skin, and then it dries and rubs you raw all day. You have a timetable so it's a 14 hour day, and the damn hose from the truck isn't long enough so you have to wheelbarrow it in.

I had a lot of fun working in construction, but if everyday was concrete day I would have been in the back of the local Olive Garden instead of doing that shit.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    man I'm glad I've avoided food service

I mean I worked some crappy jobs from time to time during and right after school but food service just seems like a special level of hell

phone-based customer support wasn't totally awful but I guess I'm pretty good at phones

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »

you could get fired for taking too long to make a batch of double cheeseburgers (roughly 10 seconds to make 9, that's grabbing a handful of onions from gross slimy onion water, grabbing a handful of pickles, applying dabs of ketchup + mustard with condiment guns and remembering if any of them needed to be plain)

you could get fired for being half a minute too long on your break (which you had to buy mcdonalds food for, as per company policy)

you could get fired for a lot of things

i eventually just left, nobody cared that i had gone and it was nice to not come home every day stinking of grease

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    My first job, at around 13, was shovelling livers, with a pitchfork.

Pig livers, mind you.

From a massive vat of livers into smaller vats that were then dumped into a giant paté making device.

Drop a liver on the floor? Don't worry son, just pick it up and throw it in the vat anyway. It'll be fine.

The best part was that the large vat was filled from different orders coming in, so the livers would be at different temperatures. The top layer might be frozen, but then suddenly you'd hit a vein of thawed livers. This would release a cloud of gas that smelled strongly of liver.

It never made me vomit, but others did. Vomit on the floor? Don't worry son, clean it later. Drop a liver on the floor, in the vomit? Don't worry son, it'll be fine.

This sort of soured me on working with food, in any way, I think.

On the bright side, it sounds like your boss was pretty laid back.

• Options
    i worked for a company cold calling people selling insurance, we mostly got our sales from elderly/foreign/young people who didn't understand what we were talking them into

it made me hate myself

we usually sold axa ppp healthcare and had to improvise a situation where it might be useful to a customer via probing them for personal details

a couple of years ago i got tricked into spending a day at a basement call center that was calling people to scam them with the ppi shit

everybody was tense, waiting for the phones to ring, and whoever picked up first got the call and possible commission

it would have been funny if it wasn't so terribly sad

• Options
    bonus story: i somehow managed to call an ambulance, on call, with a patient in the back

that was what made me put the phone down, get up and walk out

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I bet your hands stung like hell.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tube wrote: »
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Shit, you know what I just remembered? I worked at that pub like ten years ago now, and I went in there recently for some fucking reason. The sandwich maker still works there, recognised me and came to say hello. She told me that she is now the chef of this small, village pub and that her hard work had paid off. She then smiled smugly at me, content in her victory, and walked off.

You then spent the evening cheerfully ordering things and sending them back with inane complaints, right?

I was too intimidated by her success. She's got to be on what 12, 14k at this point? And they let her live in the one bedroom flat above the pub.

I know you're poking fun at her version of "success" but I've always found great pleasure in people who are content with the simple life.

We need the one bedroom apartment 14k making sandwich makers of the world.

Ahem

14k making head chef.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Grislo wrote: »
    My first job, at around 13, was shovelling livers, with a pitchfork.

Pig livers, mind you.

From a massive vat of livers into smaller vats that were then dumped into a giant paté making device.

Drop a liver on the floor? Don't worry son, just pick it up and throw it in the vat anyway. It'll be fine.

The best part was that the large vat was filled from different orders coming in, so the livers would be at different temperatures. The top layer might be frozen, but then suddenly you'd hit a vein of thawed livers. This would release a cloud of gas that smelled strongly of liver.

It never made me vomit, but others did. Vomit on the floor? Don't worry son, clean it later. Drop a liver on the floor, in the vomit? Don't worry son, it'll be fine.

This sort of soured me on working with food, in any way, I think.

On the bright side, it sounds like your boss was pretty laid back.

It wasn't a bad job, as such.

Just dull, like many industry jobs. Haven't really felt like eating liver since, though.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    I'm not saying there aren't wonderful people in the world making sandwiches for a living, or living in one bedroom flats, or making 14k (or less) a year.

I'm saying that she isn't one of them.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    First job was at a BBQ restaurant.
    Washed dishes, eventually moved up to short order cook. Pissed away all my money on stupid shit.

Also cleaning out the sink trap was the most disgusting thing ever.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I, too, am gay.

• Options
    I find that's true of my sink trap, I can't imagine doing it in a commercial kitchen.

• Options
    God, a BBQ restaurant would be just the worst. I hated people who ordered pies or lasagne the most though, those were a shitter to clean. Also a customer once came back to the kitchen, smug expression on face, to tell us that we'd spelled "lasagne" wrong on the menu board. Apparently we'd left off the R.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    God, a BBQ restaurant would be just the worst. I hated people who ordered pies or lasagne the most though, those were a shitter to clean. Also a customer once came back to the kitchen, smug expression on face, to tell us that we'd spelled "lasagne" wrong on the menu board. Apparently we'd left off the R.

lasagner?

lasargne?

larsagne?

lasragne???

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I'm glad that the menial labor food service job I have is at a restaurant owned by an actual human being who likes other actual human beings and treats them as such. It's still awful labor but at least I get breaks and free food and raises and managers who aren't shitheels.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Fyndir wrote: »

lasagner?

lasargne?

larsagne?

lasragne???

rlasagne. It's a silent r.

• Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    nothing gives better understanding of why people binge drink than having to work an inane shitty job

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    chris have you been up all night or what. Why are you awake.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My worst job was sort of service industry? I guess?

It was when I was around 12-13, and I was refereeing U7/U8 soccer games. The environment was great, the pay was great (I think it was like 40$ per match?).
    But the parents.
    Good god those parents.
    Some came bitching to me that their child couldn't run as fast as others, and wanted me to make some sort of concession to them. Some were bitching at me (and not their coach) saying that their child deserved more playtime (yes it is a rule that each child must play at least 50% of the game, but that's not something the referee is charged with keeping track of. Go bitch at the coach).
    Some were bitching that just because their precious angel's arm "was in the way" of the ball doesn't mean it was a foul.
    Some that their kid just tripped, despite them running and sliding into another kids legs, who happened to have the ball.
    Some bitching at me because I didn't let their kid be goalie (rules were that no-one was allowed to be goalie, and sweepers had to follow the play when it was out of their teams goal area).

Fuck most sports parents.

I used to absolutely love soccer. Had season tickets to the city's professional team, would go to that team's summer training program, used to play indoor and outdoor every year for about 7 years, was involved in school intramural soccer stuff.
    Haven't been able to play it or watch a full game of it since that summer and those god damn parents.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Never really had too much hassle in my waitressing work. Did however, spend the an hour of my lifeguard shift today fishing shit out of the kiddy pool.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

A nug fresh out of the fryer, with half a slice of that horrible rubber cheese wrapped around it, is a little slice of heaven when you've spent 5 straight hours frantically trying to keep up on a Friday night when there's only two people in back (for our hourly sales rates, there should have been 6 according to company policy, hell, the minimum is 3 when it's NOT busy).

• Options
    Worst job I ever had was a part time gig when I was just out of school, at the child-care centre of a shitty gym. The first clue that this place was awful and something parents should stay away from was that they hired me; my only qualifications were a basic first aid certificate (and regardless, I am not a person you want to leave in charge of children).

The second clue was that they had no restriction on the number of kids that could be left in the creche, or the age of the children - and only one employee at any time. And there was no toilet or potty in the creche, you had to call the parent over the PA if the kid needed to go (but the PA couldn't be heard over the incessant workout music). At one point I had 18 kids in a small room + an astro-turfed outdoor area, three were under 9 months, one was 6 weeks.

Then one kid took a dump on the astro-turf because his mother didn't turn up in time, so I had 18 kids in a small room.

In retrospect it's amazing no-one died.

• Options
    I just realised Tube's theme has permanently ruined the word 'desuetude' for me.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    haha I reffed youth soccer games for a while, although I was in undergrad at the time so it wasn't so bad; I was big and adult-looking enough that I never felt really threatened by anybody, and I perfected a pretty good parent-death-stare after a while

I would like to imagine that the stuff parents yelled at me was more colorful than what they'd be willing to yell at a 15 year old reffing U11 or whatever, but that's probably not the case

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I worked at Wendy's for 2 years in high school. It was alright, it was a job. Wasn't too hard and I got along really well with my managers.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I work at the burger king. Managers are bordering on imcompetent , the other workers are all in the same boat of haha fuck off yelling at me to run the orders when there are no burgers on the level and the chips are already scooped.

But yes I think I said this in the job thread but the worst part of food service jobs are the customers

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I feel bad that my least favorite job was where I was an engineer. I love math and science but as an actual engineer I did absolutely none of that. The majority of my job was shaking hands and talking about sports with salesmen. I actually like working in a call center more, but not by much. At least I get some actual work done here.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    First job was at a BBQ restaurant.
    Washed dishes, eventually moved up to short order cook. Pissed away all my money on stupid shit.

Also cleaning out the sink trap was the most disgusting thing ever.

"You've come a long way, self," he said, as he adjusted the waistband on his $60 underwear

• Options
    Ain't nothin' wrong with fancy underwear. If you drive a Ferrari, you keep it in a nice garage.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I drive a Pinto, and leave it on the street

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    so you're afraid junkies are going to come and jack your dick?

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    The thing about Pintos is that they explode when someone goes up the rear of them.

• Options
    Arang wrote: »
    so you're afraid junkies are going to come and jack your dick?

This is a better joke.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I failed my test, so I walk everywhere.

...Wait, what were we talking about?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    My first ever job (not counting delivering papers) was when I was 14 - riding around in one of these:

IMG_1108.jpg

I think in a good day I made $40, which seemed like a lot at the time. Also nickles had bumblebees on them and we wore onions on our belts (it wasn't actually that long ago... 1999 I think?)

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I find that's true of my sink trap, I can't imagine doing it in a commercial kitchen.

If someone didn't remember to clean it out regularly all the shit in there would accumulate and eventually if the big ass industrial washer did it's rinse cycle, scalding hot water/chemical would pour into the trap, and then overflow with all the gunk

This discussion has been closed.