As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Fallout Shelter is pretty good, guys.

While the in app purchase annoys me, at least all they do is speed the game up, and aren't required.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Fallout Shelter is amazing. I am loving the theme and the timers don't seem like they are harshly impacting the gameplay.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I hate having to leave the game for a while when you have an explorer out. You either have to call them back early, or risk them dying. Dying seems to be not a Big Deal so far, at least for explorers, but it's still annoying.

• Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    My vaults that get a Legendary Dweller from the initial lunchboxes seem to do so much better than those that don't.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Kolosus wrote: »
    My vaults that get a Legendary Dweller from the initial lunchboxes seem to do so much better than those that don't.
    Yeah, I have Elder Lyons on my initial vault, and he's a superstar at basically everything. The vault is fully equipped due to his time in the wastelands.

• Options
    I hate having to leave the game for a while when you have an explorer out. You either have to call them back early, or risk them dying. Dying seems to be not a Big Deal so far, at least for explorers, but it's still annoying.

Once you give them enough stimpaks and rad-aways, like 20 each, you can have a guy survive all night. Make sure your wasteland explorers have high endurance and luck, they'll last longer.

Heck I had one explorer with Really high endurance and 30 stimpacks and 20 rad-aways last for over a day, came back with 20 items and about 3000 caps.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I got nothing but crap out of my lunch boxes. The best thing I got was a rusty flamer.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    XCOM is $5 on iOS right now. This includes the base game and expansion. I think this is the cheapest they've ever been on any platform.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I got nothing but crap out of my lunch boxes. The best thing I got was a rusty flamer.
    I hear you have to pay like 3,000 caps at Gomorrah in New Vegas to get a Rusty Flamer, so that doesn't sound too bad to me. ;)

• Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    I'm still horribly addicted to Crossy Road. I don't know why, but I am. I cannot seem to unlock the secret character in the South Korea update, even though I know how. Evil game.

There is also a free update to Monument Valley, Ida's Dream, that I haven't gotten into yet, but the rest of the game was amazing.

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Once you give them enough stimpaks and rad-aways, like 20 each, you can have a guy survive all night. Make sure your wasteland explorers have high endurance and luck, they'll last longer.

Heck I had one explorer with Really high endurance and 30 stimpacks and 20 rad-aways last for over a day, came back with 20 items and about 3000 caps.

Makes sense. However now I can't even play my best vault, as I've fallen victim to the 25 or so+ dwellers load bug. Don't know if there's an 'official' term for it, but short version is after a certain amount of vault citizens, the game takes up too much memory to load. SIGH

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I've been playing Squeenix's Heavenstrike Rivals a bunch lately, and it's pretty fun. It's vaguely reminiscent of PvZ's combat lanes, but as turn based strategy combat. You collect different units (Fighters, defenders, mages, gunners, healers, scouts) that each have a ability that is specific to their class as well as a second ability unique to that exact unit. Rarer units have better stats and abilities. They gain exp and their stats go up as you fight. There's a stamina gauge involved as it is a freemium game, but so far it hasn't been a hindrance. There's a single player story line and pvp arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUTjzjUQLA0

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I assume you have to be connected online to play like many of Squeenix's freemium games?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    By the way, the new Sonic game is a no-go. I mean, it's a great game buried under layers and layers of energy and microtransaction bullshit.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    I assume you have to be connected online to play like many of Squeenix's freemium games?

You do, this is the only complaint I have with it.

• Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend any decent IOS games that aren't full of micro transactions and ridiculous timers designed to force cash out of you?

I tired Warhammer quest, but the insane cost of additional heroes was hugely off-putting. Dragon Blaze and the Marvel Fight the Future game seem to be skinner boxes with little actual gameplay in them (the fact both games let you auto-play the level is a clue there...). Fallout Shelter looked okay, until I realised it also has timers built in for no purpose other than to extend the meagre content it has.

Am I best off just buying the more expensive games like Icewind Vale and Dragonquest 6 if I want something that actually feels like a game and isn't trying to suck cash out of me?

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Maledict66 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any decent IOS games that aren't full of micro transactions and ridiculous timers designed to force cash out of you?

I tired Warhammer quest, but the insane cost of additional heroes was hugely off-putting. Dragon Blaze and the Marvel Fight the Future game seem to be skinner boxes with little actual gameplay in them (the fact both games let you auto-play the level is a clue there...). Fallout Shelter looked okay, until I realised it also has timers built in for no purpose other than to extend the meagre content it has.

Am I best off just buying the more expensive games like Icewind Vale and Dragonquest 6 if I want something that actually feels like a game and isn't trying to suck cash out of me?

What kind of games you looking for? Adventure? RPG? Action? Platformer? Puzzle?

Some good games include Heroki, Implosion, Geometry Wars 3, Swordigo, Oceanhorn, Battleheart Legacy, Monument Valley, Hitman Go... (these I'm naming off the top of my head that are on my iPad right now)

• Options
    Check out the games by Kairosoft Co. They have free trials for most of them and they are great! Mega Mall Story is my personal favorite. Real strong Sim Tower vibes.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Check out the games by Kairosoft Co. They have free trials for most of them and they are great! Mega Mall Story is my personal favorite. Real strong Sim Tower vibes.
    These are your best 'building game' bets. I personally recommend Game Dev Story, Dungeon Village Story, and Grand Prix Story.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Oh, is it time to recommend Jetpack Joyride again? It's free and one of the best games on iOS. Crossy Road is another one that immediately comes to mind.

• Options
    edited July 2015

I tired Warhammer quest, but the insane cost of additional heroes was hugely off-putting.

FWIW, the 4 starting heroes are pretty much the best heroes. Spending money on the other heroes is not worth it. Spending money on the extra adventure packs is.

The very short answer here is yes. My favorite iOS games are my premium titles. Banner Saga, BattleHeart Legacy, OceanHorn, Bastion, XCom, Starbase Orion, Frozen Synapse, Kingdom Rush (plus KR Frontiers and KR Origins), Thomas Was Alone, Monument Valley, Papa Sangre (1&2), Magicka, CounterSpy, Terraria, Bioshock, IWD, Chaos Rings, Chrono Trigger, FF6, KOTOR.. I think that's where I spend most of my time.

What it sounds like you really need is to install App Shopper and start trolling for sales and free apps. Pretty much every game I just listed I either got for free, or paid perhaps a dollar for, with the exception of maybe XCom (which I still got for just 5) and the Square titles because App Shopper is awesome.

Hearthstone is of course a good free title. Warhammer 40k Space Wolf is a fun free title. Its a turn based squad strategy game with CCG elements. 40k Carnage is ok. Heroes of Destiny is a real time squad game that's sort of like playing a streamlined full group of 3rd person WoW by yourself. It's pretty light on timers (just when you level up, and it doesn't get "bad" until higher levels) and there's no stamina. EDIT: Oh, the Assassin's Creed Pirates game is actually really fun and I don't recall seeing any sort of stamina or timers or remotely "required" micro transactions at all.

But seriously, AppShopper. Its hard for me to recommend free games because I most of what I have is premium titles I got for free, and I don't remember which are ones that really are free and which I just didn't happen to pay for.

Cog on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I hate fallout shelter...

because my shitty iPhone 4S can't really run it.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Last thing I finished was "The Room 2", which is a very very polished 'move things around in this mysterious environment' game, with a hint system that actually works to get you unstuck without either giving things away, or being useless enough you end up having to find a FAQ either way.

Re-recommending the Sorcery! series, which hasn't been mentioned yet.

And Retry! (from rovio) is a whole lot of fun, and not actually anything like flappy bird/etc, it's much more physics-y than you might initially think.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Love Live School Idol Festival

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    RenegadeDrizztRenegadeDrizzt Registered User regular
    So I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseam but is Chaos Rings 3 a worthy purchase? I haven't played past games in the series, so will I be lost/confused about the backstory with the characters and plot?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

Can't really speak for Warhammer or the other games... but Fallout Shelter is a simulation game and the timers are its core mechanic. They're used to represent your dwellers "working" in your vault, and are literally decreased by simply putting more dwellers into them, and leveling those dwellers' stats. The only other timer in the game is the one for exploration, which means if you make a character walk away from the vault for 24 hours it'll take them 12 to get back. None of these timers can be advanced via buying things.

While a more robust exploration/mission system (a la ground zeros) would have been a major boon to it, not quite sure what you were expecting from it.

edit: also needs a one-touch collect all resources option because that's just stupid to not have in a game where you can have like a million rooms.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Listen I'mma let you finish but Dream Quest is the best friggen game ever made.

Its the game you need with the graphics you deserve.

imdointhis on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Oh, is it time to recommend Jetpack Joyride again? It's free and one of the best games on iOS. Crossy Road is another one that immediately comes to mind.

I, uhh, hate you now. This game is a lot of fun.

On games without micro transactions, I liked kingdom rush: frontiers. It's a tower defense game and perfectly playable with anything from the shop. Also hungry shark, but it's ads def get in the way now.

And fallout shelter really turned me off. I do not like babysitting a bunch of timers. That game turned me off very quickly.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Are you in Canada? You should try out Alphabear, where it's being tested.

Not in Canada? Be patient, it should be out soon.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yeah my interest in fallout shelter died off quick once I realized it was a timer game with no actual content.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Okay, so, thread title finally got me to check out this whole iPad thing. I've got an iPad 4th Gen with Retina display, 32GB, picked up Grimrock because it's Grimrock. Wow, is it pretty on this thing! I'll have to pick up some other stuff if/when they go on sale, are sales a regular thing? And, I'm guessing there's only the Apple Store, no other storefronts for the device, and things like Humble Bundle don't give Apple codes?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Okay, so, thread title finally got me to check out this whole iPad thing. I've got an iPad 4th Gen with Retina display, 32GB, picked up Grimrock because it's Grimrock. Wow, is it pretty on this thing! I'll have to pick up some other stuff if/when they go on sale, are sales a regular thing? And, I'm guessing there's only the Apple Store, no other storefronts for the device, and things like Humble Bundle don't give Apple codes?

Correct; the App Store is the only storefront, short of HTML5 games. Don't get your hopes up there, though; Safari is usually the last mobile browser to support any new HTML5 game tech. -_-

I keep an eye on AppShopper and TouchArcade for deals.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Are you in Canada? You should try out Alphabear, where it's being tested.

Not in Canada? Be patient, it should be out soon.

Well, it's a nice game as far as the gameplay goes -- it's occasionally a bit too easy to find "scrabble dictionary" words by randomly trying combinations, and some of the "nice word" popups tend to cover letters which is frustrating, but otherwise it's a new(to me) way to play a make-words game.

The F2P elements, though, are a bit strange. As with all of these, there's two types of 'energy'; one you need to play the game at all (which you can get more of with money/watching adverts/waiting around, or buy an infinite supply of it for $5-ish), and one which you can use to make the games easier (which you can buy / watch videos, but can't buy an infinite supply of). Those are the standard things I'm used to -- but I've hit a separate wall-of-timer-ness, where I've beaten all the levels I can beat. To get any new content I just plain have to wait a couple of hours; I can replay existing levels for high scores, but I can't get any further into the game.

The strange thing is that there's no way to buy my way through this timer -- I can't spend either sort of in-game currency, or real-world currency, I just have to wait until time goes by. So there's actually a disincentive to give them my real-world money at this point, because I know that this sort of timer is going to keep on coming up even if I do buy an infinite supply of play-the-game energy.

ignore this, I worked out what's actually going on

djmitchella on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I was gonna complain that I need a new Kingdom Rush game, but noticed that all three titles had updates with new missions to play. This will satiate me for a while....

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RenegadeDrizztRenegadeDrizzt Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    So I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseam but is Chaos Rings 3 a worthy purchase? I haven't played past games in the series, so will I be lost/confused about the backstory with the characters and plot?

I am going to answer my own question with an indubitable yes! The storytelling and questing of earlier FFs, great character development and interaction, beautiful art direction, Persona-esque monster collection and fusion system, the orchestration is just . . . Ineffable. Awesome combat arena. So much to fucking do and so much potential for bullshit IAPs that they never capitalize on. To put it succinctly, if you haven't already: buy this game. Please.

RenegadeDrizzt on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The iOS version of the boardgame Splendor came out today.

• Options
    The strange thing is that there's no way to buy my way through this timer -- I can't spend either sort of in-game currency, or real-world currency, I just have to wait until time goes by. So there's actually a disincentive to give them my real-world money at this point, because I know that this sort of timer is going to keep on coming up even if I do buy an infinite supply of play-the-game energy.

Now I'm paying a bit more attention, these timers are daily events -- so today I can't play the "friday" levels because it's not Friday yet, so the timer is the time until it is. The thing is, to get to the next level I have to "beat five daily events", but there's only two events available per day, so I am blocked from advancing until at least saturday, all I can do until then is replay the thursday events for a higher score.

The weird thing is that playing games for a high score is normally just fine, but because they've added this extra layer of advancement on top of the basic game, the fact I'm blocked from advancing for no reason other than that they've decided to block me suddenly becomes really annoying.

• Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    Just a heads up. I installed the iOS 9 Public Beta, and some games are not working. It's expected any time an operating system is updated, especially in Beta, so I knew what I was getting into on the way in. The following is a list of games that are not working on my iPad Air 2 128GB in the iOS 9 Public Beta 1:

Little Inferno - Freezes on splash screen
    Crossy Road - Freezes after splash screen on blank blue screen
    Goat Simulator - Most entities do not render. You can still "play" but the ground, and most static objects/terrain are invisible
    Leo's Fortune - Crashes to home screen after splash screen
    Hitman Go - Crashes to home screen after blank black screen
    Dead Trigger 2 - Crashes to home screen after splash screen
    BioShock - Freezes on blank black screen after splash screen
    Hoplite - Freezes on black screen with graphic artifacts from home screen
    Bastion - Crashes immediately to home screen
    Tiny Dice Dungeon - Crashes to home screen after splash screen

Let me know if anyone wants me to test any other games or apps using the iOS 9 Public Beta on my iPad Air 2. I will not have access to paid apps unless I already purchased them, so maybe stick to freebies :P

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I was gonna complain that I need a new Kingdom Rush game, but noticed that all three titles had updates with new missions to play. This will satiate me for a while....

What's that now?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet