As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah unfortunately the cell phone gaming world dictates that if a game is going to succeed it needs to be free and it needs to have cheap ways of siphoning money from your wallet.

Luckily the game is very low on the gacha meter, and it looks like the only thing you really pay for are retries and stamina refills.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    While I hate the energy/timer/in-game currency model of mobile gaming, I truly believe that a bigger part of the responsibility and blame fall on the consumers. While people support this business model, it'll stay. Unless people stop spending money on these practices and just buy 1-time cost games, this will continue.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    While I hate the energy/timer/in-game currency model of mobile gaming, I truly believe that a bigger part of the responsibility and blame fall on the consumers. While people support this business model, it'll stay. Unless people stop spending money on these practices and just buy 1-time cost games, this will continue.

These things are designed to psychologically manipulate you into spending money. You’re never going to get movement from the customer end because of that.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If you want a resource for cell phone games where you just pay money once and play, here ya go.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    If you want a resource for cell phone games where you just pay money once and play, here ya go.

What is this site? Does it list paid-only games and review them?

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Yes, but it only lists one game per hour unless you pay $1.99 for a temporary ReviewBoost.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

What is this site? Does it list paid-only games and review them?

It's like IGN or Kotaku or (insert video game website here), only for mobile games. It's a fantastic resource, and they've been around for a while. Yes, they do cover some freemium games, but they specialize in mobile games that are, well, actually good.

That's awesome, thanks for the site.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I haven’t downloaded (free or paid) an iOS game since one of the big updates meant several of my favorite games were no longer supported.

And I got sick of separating tne whearfrom the chaff in the store just because apple couldn’t be bothered to do it themselves

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    knitdan wrote: »
    I haven’t downloaded (free or paid) an iOS game since one of the big updates meant several of my favorite games were no longer supported.

And I got sick of separating tne whearfrom the chaff in the store just because apple couldn’t be bothered to do it themselves

The top ~50ish games for each of the various categories really solidified at some point, so even trying to filter by popularity has become something of a lost cause. I still go dig through Touch Arcade and Pocket Gamer to find a treasure every now and then, but it’s definitely gotten harder to break through the stagnancy for developers and consumers alike.

Free stuff rotates more regularly, though I attribute a lot of that to review shenanigans.

OneAngryPossum on
    I just bought One Deck Dungeon on iOS. Heard good things about it so thought, why not? Anyone here played it (digital or physical) and have any thoughts or protips?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Oh man if that Spider game is the old one I’m thinking of (Secret of Bryce Manor, I believe?) it is so good too, excellent example.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I just bought One Deck Dungeon on iOS. Heard good things about it so thought, why not? Anyone here played it (digital or physical) and have any thoughts or protips?

I had a good time with it a few months back, but I fell off after a while. It can be kind of difficult, even on easy - it felt a lot like Dream Quest in that regard. That said, I’d definitely recommend using two characters early on. It didn’t necessarily make the game easier to learn, but it made the game easier to play (you can split damage and start with an extra dice vs one character), so I stuck with it longer. And as a general strategy, you’re usually going to need to a lot of versatility - you can’t necessarily specialize in a single attribute and win. Also, the abilities when playing with two characters are different from when you play with a single character, and typically less useful.

It’s a pretty good game, I think. Takes a while to get a real grasp of, but I enjoyed it for sure.

Edit: Oh, and don’t underestimate abilities. I tend to focus on getting as many dice as possible, but the more abilities you get, the more options you have.

OneAngryPossum on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The funny thing is most people aren’t doing that. The money comes from a small minority of rich players cynically called “whales.” So the game is built from the ground up to abuse people with more money than sense, and the rest of us suffer because the whole game design is gutted to accommodate the bullshit.
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Oh man if that Spider game is the old one I’m thinking of (Secret of Bryce Manor, I believe?) it is so good too, excellent example.
    Oh yes, the very one. It has a sequel too! That also has the unique feature of paying money for it once and getting all the content!

They also have another game, Waking Mars, that I recommend. It’s on iOS and Steam.

YL9WnCY.png
    One Deck Dungeon is eating up all my time. I'm currently getting the 5 starting characters stats unlocked and having a great time. Focused mostly on dice, then abilities. Haven't been able to tackle a dungeon with a single character yet though.

And I finally noticed that all of the characters are women. That's pretty cool.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Lego Tower is out now. I have it on android but maybe friends cross over? My friend code is 79RV let's see.

captaink wrote: »
    Lego Tower is out now. I have it on android but maybe friends cross over? My friend code is 79RV let's see.

But is it $5?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    captaink wrote: »

But is it $5?

The app is free to play. Tiny Tower had decent monetization, this seems to be similar so far. It's a somewhat idle game.

captaink on
  • RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    Tiny Tower added a one-time VIP premium purchase. Lego Tower has something similar (Tower Club), but it isn't a permanent buy. You can get 5 days for free, and then it looks like you buy additional "Club Days".

Dr. Mario is live on iOS/Android. Sadly, isn't $5.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    It is super boring, though. I cleared 9 stages before uninstalling it.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Stages 1-20 are basically a tutorial. The challenge started picking up around level 25 for me. I had a tough time with the time trial levels, anyway.

Multiplayer is also tough? Although half the time I'm not sure if I lost because I wasn't as good or because the other person had a better loadout.

edited July 2019
    thatgamecompany's Sky: Children of Light just hit the app store. It's the spiritual successor to Journey.

Glide across gorgeous cloud banks. Make friends with total strangers who all look identical to you. Master powerful spells like "Sit," "Point," and "Shiver." See your phone battery drain faster than ever before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3r1KbzSiT8

Holding hands with people is totally a thing, and it's adorable.

Frem on
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    I've been playing Sky for the last couple of days, and it's pretty enjoyable! It has a very similar pleasant exploration feel to Journey. It's a nice way to relax.

Well the $5, out now meme is dead. It will be missed.

Getting back into Kingdom Rush: Vengeance. I always forget just how perfect the KR games are at Tower Defense.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Y'all, apparently Apple Arcade is REALLY good. The folks at Kotaku are calling it one of the best game launches they can remember. Loads of really good games, with no energy or microtransaction bullshit.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Yeah I recently upgraded to an Android phone in part for easy emulator access, but Apple Arcade makes me wonder if it was the right call.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Using my Xbox controller to play Exit the Gungeon feels great. My phone is suddenly a better portable option than the Switch for indie games, which is kinda wild. Especially since I was looking at Sayonara and Overworld on the Switch until I realised they are included in Apple Arcade. Also was looking at Hot Lava and Cat Quest 2 on Steam, but don't gotta buy them now either! Not to mention a half dozen other games I've never heard of that look really great. They hit it out of the park with this service.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Yeah apple arcade is mind blowingly good so far, I have an android phone and an ipad and i think i'm going to keep paying for it after my trial just for ipad gaming; so far overland and various day life (lolwut @ the name) are my favs

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited September 2019
    There is just a crazy amount of heavy hitters here. I don't know how Apple can make this profitable for everyone long-term.
    • Grindstone - From the makers of Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, it's a push your-luck connect-the-gems type puzzle game.
    • Various Daylife - A linear(?) light-weight(?) story driven life sim by the Bravely Default folks. It's mostly menu-driven, but the combat system seems like it has a lot going on. The UI odd too; the split screen layout looks like a 3DS title that moved to iOS halfway through development.
    • Bleak Sword - a low-fi black-and-white Dark Souls diorama thingie that you can play with one hand? You really feel like a dark soul.
    • Card of Darkness - I will play any dumb thing that Zach Guage makes (Ridiculous Fishing, SpellTower, Really Bad Chess).
    • Overland - I've been subscribed to the weird development newsletter for five years and I had no idea this would be in Apple Arcade.

Seriously, the Overland devs sent out stuff like this. What is this?!
    Excerpt - "The Siberian Dilemma", unnamed collection
    ludcm2riyslo.png
    1984: Unexplained seismic disturbances trigger an escalating political confrontation.

Edit: And Oceanhorn 2! What. I'm waiting until Arcade hits Apple TV on the 30th to start playing this.

Frem on
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Frem wrote: »
    There is just a crazy amount of heavy hitters here. I don't know how Apple can make this profitable for everyone long-term.
    • Grindstone - From the makers of Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, it's a push your-luck connect-the-gems type puzzle game.
    • Various Daylife - A linear(?) light-weight(?) story driven life sim by the Bravely Default folks. It's mostly menu-driven, but the combat system seems like it has a lot going on. The UI odd too; the split screen layout looks like a 3DS title that moved to iOS halfway through development.
    • Bleak Sword - a low-fi black-and-white Dark Souls diorama thingie that you can play with one hand? You really feel like a dark soul.
    • Card of Darkness - I will play any dumb thing that Zach Guage makes (Ridiculous Fishing, SpellTower, Really Bad Chess).
    • Overland - I've been subscribed to the weird development newsletter for five years and I had no idea this would be in Apple Arcade.

Seriously, the Overland devs sent out stuff like this. What is this?!
    Excerpt - "The Siberian Dilemma", unnamed collection
    ludcm2riyslo.png
    1984: Unexplained seismic disturbances trigger an escalating political confrontation.

Card of Darkness is also brought you by Pendleton Ward (Adventure Time creator), which is awesome. So many little "oh shit this is from them?!" moments while looking through these games.

I kind of hope there isn't too much of a constant flood of new games added to this thing, because it already feels like there are way too many games I want to check out. Never thought a backlog of phone games would ever be a thing, as I kind of have been over mobile gaming for the past few years, especially since the Switch came out.

The contract on my phone has been up for over a year now, and I've been putting off upgrading cause I just didn't feel like there was much of a point for what I use my phone (6s) for, but I think I might be getting a new phone this weekend now.

chuck steak on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Where yall getting this?

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Where yall getting this?

Apple Arcade is a tab of the app store when you update to iOS 13.

A game I've been working on for four years came out on Apple Arcade today.
    Please check out Spelldrifter if you like strategy/tactics games.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/spelldrifter/id1474012584
    JQs8mzi.jpg
    It's one of the top 5 games on the arcade*!
    *If you sort by size

The only thing I've had time to play so far is Chu Chu Rocket, but it's some good chu chu.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Turns out I'm h*cking behind on updates :rotate:

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Ugh, I'm still on an iphone 6, which means I can't get to iOS 13 even if I wanted to, and Apple Arcade is the first thing that's made me actually want to upgrade. I guess the iphone 11's seem to have significantly improved cameras, too, which would be nice but they are so expppeeensnssiivvve..... and it's not as if I have the time to play the games I've bought already, for that matter.

On which note, OXXO is another puzzler by the guy that did Zenge/Scalak/various other puzzle games, and it does a fantastic job of introducing new puzzle mechanics in a way that totally makes sense, and also (at least so far) not going too far with them, so I get to keep on feeling super smart because the levels never get too hard.

(and I particularly appreciate that it's obvious how he _could_ have made really difficult levels with some of these mechanics; I'm at about the 10th new way for sliding shapes to interact with one another/the world and it feels like lesser devs would have stopped after the first two rules and just made a huge heap of indistinguishable levels that got bigger/more laborious to solve -- but no, the previous levels had bits of the world rotating, and then after a half-dozen of those, now the world folds and unfolds itself if I put tiles next to wires that are connected to hinges, and I don't know what'll come next but I'm looking forwards to it)

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Itll be interesting to see if Apple goes down the epic route and buys exclusives away from the switch and other mobile platforms.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Been really stuck for games to play on the bus lately and so many of them are freemium bullshit. This might be my answer!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Itll be interesting to see if Apple goes down the epic route and buys exclusives away from the switch and other mobile platforms.

They're already doing it, to an extent. Several of the games released today also come out on consoles, but nothing in Apple Arcade is on Android.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Android is a bit of an outlier though. Would anything in arcade have actually sold on android? Its always been a platform that expected everything to be free or.99. I could see a lot of devs just not wanting to bother.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    That's pretty much where iOS gaming has been headed too. That was how Apple justified this Arcade subscription model, and I bet quite a few indie teams were all too happy to give this a try rather than descending into F2P madness.

rahkeesh2000 on