As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I was gonna complain that I need a new Kingdom Rush game, but noticed that all three titles had updates with new missions to play. This will satiate me for a while....

What's that now?

I just happened to see that there were unplayed missions that came via updates. Not sure when they happened though, so you may already have played them.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Just a heads up. I installed the iOS 9 Public Beta, and some games are not working. It's expected any time an operating system is updated, especially in Beta, so I knew what I was getting into on the way in. The following is a list of games that are not working on my iPad Air 2 128GB in the iOS 9 Public Beta 1:

Little Inferno - Freezes on splash screen
    Crossy Road - Freezes after splash screen on blank blue screen
    Goat Simulator - Most entities do not render. You can still "play" but the ground, and most static objects/terrain are invisible
    Leo's Fortune - Crashes to home screen after splash screen
    Hitman Go - Crashes to home screen after blank black screen
    Dead Trigger 2 - Crashes to home screen after splash screen
    BioShock - Freezes on blank black screen after splash screen
    Hoplite - Freezes on black screen with graphic artifacts from home screen
    Bastion - Crashes immediately to home screen
    Tiny Dice Dungeon - Crashes to home screen after splash screen

Let me know if anyone wants me to test any other games or apps using the iOS 9 Public Beta on my iPad Air 2. I will not have access to paid apps unless I already purchased them, so maybe stick to freebies :P

Oh, boy. I hope this is just a beta thing and not something that makes it into the final release. Square-Enix just fixed The World Ends with You two weeks ago, after letting it rot since the iOS 8 release. What are the odds that it'll break and they'll let it sit around forever again?

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    TWEWY is stuck on Initializing on my iPad Mini 2 running iOS 9 Public Beta ( I never tried it in 8 knowing it was broken )

Sync Solver for Fit bit is broke, but the app developers think it will be fixed by release of ios9 so maybe this is something that will be resolved (i.e. broken 32bit apps on OS X 10.11 public beta were broken at release and a patch has already rolled out to fix it)

useless4 on
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    ignore this, I worked out what's actually going on

So Alphabear is actually no more annoying than any other IAP-based timer-restricted game; you need 'honey' to play levels, you can get honey by waiting / watching ads / paying $5ish to get unlimited honey. To advance levels, you have to beat 5 (or so) "daily events", but what I was missing is that you can beat one event multiple times per day. However, when you get to the third level or so, you start to need to use powerups (bears you've found) to beat levels, and the powerups are on a separate money-based set of timers, so being able to play levels over and over again only helps so much.

You can level the bears up by playing levels over and over again, but (and this is a big but) only the bears you find on the level you're currently on -- so I just restarted the entire game so that I could level up the first chunk of bears you get on level 1 and 2. If you do the obvious thing and just blast through those, you'll end up having a much harder time beating level 3 because you can only level up a couple of bears, and those ones are on timers, so you have to keep on waiting hours between tries.

On a less esoteric note, the Sorcery! trilogy is on sale for $6.99(us) which is a great deal on some fantastic games -- and they also backported the 'rewind' feature from 3 to 2 and 1, so it's easier to replay them and select different options to see what's what.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    On a less esoteric note, the Sorcery! trilogy is on sale for $6.99(us) which is a great deal on some fantastic games -- and they also backported the 'rewind' feature from 3 to 2 and 1, so it's easier to replay them and select different options to see what's what.

Well that's nice. I owned just the first one, and the 'complete my bundle' button let me get the other two for just $2.

• worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular
    Adventure Time Card Wars is the featured free app this week, if that is your kind of thing.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Adventure Time Card Wars is the featured free app this week, if that is your kind of thing.

I saw that, reviews weren't sterling. Anyone got an opinion?

• worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

It is very grindy and very free too play.

You have "hearts" that refill over time or you can refill them with "gems" which are purchasable from the in game store. Challenging an opponent costs a heart.

You get cards by killing an opponent's creatures and then defeating them. Cards can also be crafted by recipes wherein the mats are consumed and a certain amount of "gold" is paid, which is another in game currency.

You start with a 50 slot card box which must be upgraded with in game currency if you ever want to own more than 50 cards at a time.

Apparently there is PVP but it doesn't unlock until you get a hero to level 5 which I haven't done yet.

As I reread what I've typed I realize it isn't really a review, so here is my actual review: I don't like it. If you want to play a card game, get hearthstone.

Roger that. Thanks for taking one for the team.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Has anyone been able to get Alphabear to synch between two devices? I started playing on my iPhone, only to find all my progress absent on my iPad. My account isn't messed up, since I do have the Infinite Honey unlocked on both.

Ascension on iOS updated today with the Dawn of Champions expansion pack. Never played the card game version, so this will be a treat. :biggrin:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    This expansion seems straight nuts. I'm guessing it was largely designed to be played with the previous set, because on its own it is busted.

admanb on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    anyone else played Drive Ahead?

it's REALLY HARD and addicting as the dickens

and one of the simplest concepts ever: you have some sort of vehicle and you drive forward and backward until you or your opponent has a crushed skull

4qkm1dgejh03.jpg

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It's harder than it looks
    Not bad for a free game

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    Pac-Man Champion Edition DX was just released for $4.99. I know I may sound biased but it's totally worth it.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    how are the controls on a touchscreen?

jCyyTSo.png
    Good. You swipe, to move him and pinch to activate the bombs. Also when you pinch it doesn't have to be two fingers close together. You can have both thumbs on opposite ends of the screen, and pinch them both towards each other slightly and it will still activate.

It gets more difficult to control him as the speed of the game increases, but the same can be said for the console version. I've been able to control him at Speed 50 without any issues.

So I accidentally bought Legend of Grimrock on my iPhone today. At least I hear it's good, so maybe it won't have been for nothing.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    It's good in a similar way that Dark Souls is good. It's best in class and some of the only game in town for what it does. But a good number of people are going to play it for a little while and NOPE outa there.

• MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

I liked it. I saw it as a single-player game, so when it started getting grindy, I stopped playing. Good fun while it lasted.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
    0mfj7h6fxdem.jpg

Just realized I'm 200+ wins over 50% win rate. Wow I play a lot of Ascension. What really irks me though is 50 of those disconnects came during network issues a while back. Silly that I got those games added as losses. Ah well...

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Check out Pac-Man 256, it's a great game. It got a 5 star rating on Touch Arcade.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/08/19/pac-man-256-review/

https://youtu.be/2iRiILPdVHk

Controls are great, and there is a lot of variety with the different power-ups, and enemy ghost patterns.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

Downloading now. Will report back!

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    Got around to trying Legend of Grimlock I accidentally bought last month. Old-school RPG stuff I grew up with hits in the nostalgia feels. Got to the end of the first area and fought a guy with a huge shield and spear. Killed 2 of my guys before my back line killed him.

Wondered why that happened or why I could use magic on my Mage only to discover I never changed any classes. 4 fighters....sigh.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Got around to trying Legend of Grimlock I accidentally bought last month. Old-school RPG stuff I grew up with hits in the nostalgia feels. Got to the end of the first area and fought a guy with a huge shield and spear. Killed 2 of my guys before my back line killed him.

Wondered why that happened or why I could use magic on my Mage only to discover I never changed any classes. 4 fighters....sigh.

The idea behind the combat is that you're not supposed to actually engage the enemies in combat, you're supposed to abuse the quirks of the grid to prevent enemies from having a chance to attack.

jothki wrote: »

The idea behind the combat is that you're not supposed to actually engage the enemies in combat, you're supposed to abuse the quirks of the grid to prevent enemies from having a chance to attack.

So I don't fight anything? That can't be right since I need xp. Do you mean I have to reposition to find weak spots and avoid attacks? That could prove challenging on a touch screen input. :/

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I picked up Warhammer 40K Deathwatch and I in no way whatsoever regret it. It's another Games Workshop/Rodeo Games collaboration a la Warhammer Quest and it's really really polished. The camera tilts this time, There's a card pack based system for getting new troops and items, and you can spend xp to upgrade specific stats (hps, accuracy, crit) or unlock combat abilities and extra wargear slots.

I caught it on sale for 2 bucks but it's worth every penny of the full price. Could not recommend highly enough.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

So I don't fight anything? That can't be right since I need xp. Do you mean I have to reposition to find weak spots and avoid attacks? That could prove challenging on a touch screen input. :/

Obviously it all goes to hell once multiple enemies are involved, but basically one on one you should never get hit as long as you have a 4x4 grid to manoeuvre in because you can side step and they mostly don't.

You stand diagonally across from them and wait for them to move forward into a square next to you and thus be showing their flank to you. You poke them and then you quickly side step away to be on their diagonal again before they can turn and attack. Repeat.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited August 2015
    So I've been playing a lot of Pac-Man256, and have been getting some serious high scores. I decided to check the GameCenter leaderboards to see how I stack up against others, only to find out that there is a ridiculous amount of Hackers/Cheaters with impossible scores in the billions and trillions. Its not just a few people either, its like the first 200 or so players that have suspect scores.

I went to check out the leaderboards on some of my other iOS games, and it seems to be widespread across most, though not all of them.

My question is, who is responsible for the integrity of the leaderboards. Is it the developer of the game? or is it Apple since it's their GameCenter Service?

I was wanting to know, so that I could reach out to the correct party and see if they are aware of the cheating, and if they have any plans to fix it. Or do you guys think this is a moot point and useless to try? I'm interested to hear your thoughts and or experiences with this.

PacMan1979 on
    I've spent a few days messing with 40k Deathwatch now and I can confirm it is, in fact, super hot shit. If you're not playing it, you should be.

Also I snagged MTG's Magic Duels, just to see what they've done with the place. Its ok? They're going freemium in a Hearthstoney model. It's a decent alternative for when all my Hearthstone quests are done for the day and I want to play a CCG.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    PacMan1979 wrote: »
    So I've been playing a lot of Pac-Man256, and have been getting some serious high scores. I decided to check the GameCenter leaderboards to see how I stack up against others, only to find out that there is a ridiculous amount of Hackers/Cheaters with impossible scores in the billions and trillions. Its not just a few people either, its like the first 200 or so players that have suspect scores.

I went to check out the leaderboards on some of my other iOS games, and it seems to be widespread across most, though not all of them.

My question is, who is responsible for the integrity of the leaderboards. Is it the developer of the game? or is it Apple since it's their GameCenter Service?

I was wanting to know, so that I could reach out to the correct party and see if they are aware of the cheating, and if they have any plans to fix it. Or do you guys think this is a moot point and useless to try? I'm interested to hear your thoughts and or experiences with this.

It's pretty moot. Eventually your device has to send data up the wire to the high score server, which means clever assholes can trap and analyze that traffic. Even if you encrypt it, the keys to encrypt it have to be on the device in the app code, and clever bastards will sort it out in short order.

High scores where the gameplay isn't controlled directly on the server are forever doomed to be wrecked, sadly.

Where is the satisfaction in that?

I don't get it.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    can you play pac man offline? flying to pax tonight

jCyyTSo.png
  • JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Just tested it in Airplane mode and it worked fine. I did buy the doubler and infinite credits, though, so your mileage may vary.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    IGN's free iOS game of the moth is Goat Simulator. So if you want to be all crazy and goat like, have at it: http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/goat-simulator-free

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    IGN's free iOS game of the moth month is Goat Simulator. So if you want to be all crazy and goat like, have at it: http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/goat-simulator-free

EDIT: Free game of the moth... Month you daft fingers!

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
    edited August 2015

Damn, I figured it would be useless, thanks for the reply. It sucks, because I love the game and spent a few hours this past week playing the hell out of it, but when I learned about the hacked leaderboards my motivation to keep playing diminished a little.

Fuck cheaters!

PacMan1979 on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy 7 on iOS now for $15. Finally the portable FF7 you thought you were getting when they announced the PSP.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades