As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    3200 *how*?

I wibble around 1500 and have trouble climbing higher. Though I might just be bad.

I use:

Royal Giant
    Hog Rider
    Wizard
    Baby Dragon
    Elixir Collector
    Arrows
    Spear Goblins
    Minion Horde

Always drop Elixir first if it's in your opening hand. Only ever drop Giant or Hog with Wizard or Baby Dragon behind it. Use arrows only on minion horde, on Barbarians or similar if you're desperate. If your opponent opens with a fatty like PEKKA or a Giant t start the game, drop Hog Rider and Goblins in the other lane - you might kill that tower and still have enough Elixir to take out their fatty. ONLY use Minion Horde for defense, and if you really need to you can use Arrows to whittle down buildings.

Hope this helps!

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Uh, sorta. Elixir Collector is from Arena 6, and Royal Giant is from 7, so I'm a ways off from being able to unlock those. I may try swapping in a Hog Rider, though, for surprise counter-pushes.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Downloaded Clash Royale and finished the training stuff. Played a few multiplayer matches and have 4 chests waiting to unlock. 10xp away from level 3.

OK, so does anyone wanna hook me up with a guide of what I should do/focus on now? Seems like getting to 3 and joining a clan is the next smart thing to do. Do we have a clan? Any good tutorial vids I should watch?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    The youtube guides by Orange Juice are really good. Check out this one on how to pull units.

Definitely get into a clan ASAP, even if it's just a random one. It benefits you to donate and request units as much as possible. It gets you gold and XP faster, and helps you upgrade your most desired cards faster.

As far as the premium gem currency, people generally agree the most efficient use of them is to use them to buy gold. The only cards you ever want to consider buying from the store are purple rares you really want to unlock or upgrade quickly. There's one purple randomly available for sale every day, two available on Sunday.

Other than that, just be patient with how fast you move up the ladder. You're going to hit points where you just can't progress higher without getting more cards levelled up, and that's just how it is.

If you're planning to stay free-to-play, be picky about which cards you upgrade. Once the upgrades get a bit more expensive, it's easy to have gold be what's holding you back on upgrading a card.

• Options
    I joined the PA clan but it looks pretty dead. Should we make a thread to garner interest and form a new clan?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    OK, I made a Clash Royale thread. Start posting over there and help me create a killer OP!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    rise from the grave... sort of

So moved over to an Iphone SE and have been playing pokemon go but my work downtime is constant so Id like something to add on this thing to play. I looked at the OP but wanted to see if there is anything "recent" that people are playing that they would recommend. Not too into puzzle or platformers on devices where I have a small screen, same go with ports of existing games. Id even be up for a "turn" based clicker style game but have no idea where to start looking.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Check out:
    • Polytopia - awesome distilled Civilization 4X style game
    • Reigns - hard to describe kingdom management game based on binary choices, getting a lot of praise
    • Deus Ex GO (or the older Lara Craft GO if you haven't already played that)
    • Sproggiwood
    • Rodeo Stampede (good as a quick timewaster)
    • Lost Frontier - Advance Wars in the Wild West
    • Severed - getting rave reviews
    • Road Not Taken

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    The Kairosoft games are good management fun if you haven't played them yet. The most recent one I got sucked into was Pocket Arcade Story. Has an extremely rudimentary fighting game aspect (three buttons, only attacks and blocks) that's a good hook.

I love the Super Stickman Golf games for a bout of time wasting.

Sky Force Reloaded is a surprisingly good vertical shooter (but I hate the newest incarnation of the game).

If you really want a clicker, Tap Titans and Adventure Capitalist are both perfectly fine tuned skinner boxes. They tap into a nasty addictive part of my brain, so I try to avoid them, but those two are very good at what they do.

Soda Dungeon is a port of a Flash game, I think, but it's got some of that endlessly repeating clicker type action with a little more involvement (turn based combat with a variety of classes and gear, but auto-fight eventually makes a lot more sense than actually playing the thing).

Edit: I know you said you're not really looking for puzzle games, but if you're open to a rogue like puzzler, I think Hoplite is possibly one of the most overlooked games in the app store. It can seem pretty basic at first, but when you start achievement hunting it opens up in a big way.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    If you want the best game ever made hands down ever and I mean EVER:

Dream Quest

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »

Dream Quest

That's gonna be painfully tiny to play on an iPhone SE, won't it?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »

Dream Quest

Dream Quest is so much better than it has any right to be.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Leap of Fate is good fun. Roguelike twin stick shooter with lots of skills and multiple characters, good enemy variety. Fun cyberpunk aesthetic. Missions unlock permanent upgrades for each character, so if you like roguelikes but also like making steady progress it's perfect.

It'd undoubtedly be better with a controller, but the touchscreen controls are more than capable once you're used to it. Gets a bit crowded on a phone screen, admittedly.

• Options
    Don't forget to download I, Falling Robot which was made by our very own @Uselesswarrior! Show him some love!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r7IDotYCcc

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Thanks for the plug man. 8-)

If anyone gets to play it I'd love feedback.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Just downloaded it.

I like the art style and the music.

Unfortunately I have an intense dislike for tilt controls.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Dust: An Elysian Tail is on sale for 99 cents, down from 6 bucks. It was an XBox 360 game originally a few years ago. It's an exploration-platformer with combo based melee combat and an RPG framework. 4 stats you can put points in, 7 equipment slots, a crafting system. It's a metroidvania/rpg mashup and it's totally worth the dollar. I snagged it last night and immediately lost 2 hours on it without noticing. And that was only like 5% game progression.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Just downloaded it.

I like the art style and the music.

Unfortunately I have an intense dislike for tilt controls.

Yeah the tilt controls are pretty hit and miss with people. When I designed the game I didn't realize how divisive that was going to be. Thanks for checking it out.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    How are the Civilization Revolution games? I'm dangerously close to falling back into the Civ V hole again, but would prefer something I can play on the couch while watching bad television with the Mrs.

Are there any other games similar to civ that I should give a try?

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    How are the Civilization Revolution games? I'm dangerously close to falling back into the Civ V hole again, but would prefer something I can play on the couch while watching bad television with the Mrs.

The iPad Civ Revolution game that I played was very good. There's a MOO-2 style game out there too that's pretty decent. I forget the name at the moment unfortunately. Something like Master of Antares.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    MadPen wrote: »

The iPad Civ Revolution game that I played was very good. There's a MOO-2 style game out there too that's pretty decent. I forget the name at the moment unfortunately. Something like Master of Antares.

Starbase Orion.

It's spectacular.

• Options

Play. Dream. Quest.

• Options
    Ive had the damn game for like what 3 years now and I only just beat the end boss once.

Scimitars + Bleeder leads to serious hijinks

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I have spent an awful lot of hours recently on Pocket Mine 2 -- the gameplay just really works for me, and while there's 'energy that you use up' to play it, you get refilled energy every time you level up and that happens pretty often during early play, so when that finally stopped I'd got about 12 hours of playtime into it and was happy to buy the 'more energy before refill' powerup and give them money because I've really been enjoying it.

(side note: the in-game currency in Pocket Mine 2is "rubies". To get more rubies, you can watch adverts / etc, or you can play Mobile Strike and Game Of War for half an hour or so and somehow that gets you lots of rubies. I tried the latter two because, heck, I've watched adverts for them enough times, and wow, Mobile Strike and Game Of War are amazingly horrible cash-grabs. I hadn't realised quite how incoherent the UI is, or how identical it is between them, but sheesh. Also, somehow, they both downloaded 300-odd mb of data over mobile without telling me they were going to do it, which is just plain bad manners)

Let's see, what do I still have installed that I've played recently?

Bonza / Bonza Nat.Geographic are nice word puzzles, with enough free content to get the idea, and you can play one more free each day which is just about enough for me.

Chameleon Run is very very polished and slick, and the difficulty and speed ramp up at a sensible pace so that by the time things are getting really tricky, I feel like I've got good enough to handle it but not quite good enough yet.

Pair Solitaire is a nice simple-but-deep solitaire game if you like that sort of thing; seconding the recommendation for Reigns, it feels sort of like 80 Days (which is still great if anyone hasn't bought that yet -- also the Steve Jackson's Sorcery! series games)

Drive Ahead! got recommended here a while ago, and it is great fun for a quick game while the kettle boils, and they release new content often enough to keep things fresh.

Train Conductor World is a puzzler with, like Pocket Mine, a basic gameplay mechanic that I really enjoyed even without paying real money to get onto the later levels without needing to grind too much,

let's see, what else do I still have sitting around. War Tortoise is a plays-itself/tower defense hybrid which used up an awful lot of battery life and hours before I'd unlocked everything I wanted to unlock; they have the balance between watching and needing to interact just right.

Odd Bot Out / Mekorama are more nice stylish puzzlers, though they both get a bit fiddly because of control issues at later levels -- but they are also both nice quick ways to play a level and feel that 'solved it!' satisfaction without committing too much time.

Tomb of the Mask and Tracky Train are endless runner-maze-solver sort of thing, and they're both pretty fun with very different graphical styles.

Heroes of Incredible Tales is one of the rare games that plays just the same way that it looks like it plays in adverts == it's one of the numerous pyrotechnical dungeon crawlers out there, but the mechanics of how to get better are not so complex that I can't keep up with them, they're introduced at a reasonable speed (whereas Battle Champs was just too much too soon), and the wall of IAP is clearly waiting for me somewhere further along, but I haven't got there yet and I've played a fair bit of it so far.

RETRY is a lot of fun in a physics-y way (and, like lots of other games I like, it's really polished and smooth-feeling to play). Piloteer is a much more difficult physics-y game which was very satisfying to beat, though I could have done with more content. BADLAND is a classic and worth looking up if you haven't yet.

Imago is a sort-of-like-threes-but-not game about merging blocks with numbers in it; it's neat because I can feel that there's obviously ways to be much much better than I am, but I haven't quite got there yet.

Oh, and "Hidden my game by mom - escape room" is well worth 0 cents and half-an-hour of anyone's time, because it is one of those games where I found myself with a big grin the whole time I was playing it; there's not much of it, but what there is is just about perfect.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Open Sorcery is tits, for those of you that haven't played it.

• Options
    Human Resource Machine is a lot of fun. On sale for a buck, down from 5.

It's essentially using friendly labels to teach coding concepts.

screen520x924.jpeg

Made by the people who did Little Inferno, and their games just ooze style and personality.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

screen520x924.jpeg

Made by the people who did Little Inferno, and their games just ooze style and personality.

Thanks for the heads up, this is REALLY GOOD

• Options

screen520x924.jpeg

I really liked it too, but it sort of drives me nuts because it's like doing assembly for a 286, but less powerful and you only have one register.

the Sequence is pretty good for that style of game too. A little more visual but at the end of the day, still very programmy feeling.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Open Sorcery is tits, for those of you that haven't played it.

Whoops. I should have not started playing this at work. Thanks!

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I got myself hooked on Spider-Man Unlimited again. Wound up clearing my entire alliance and putting out feelers in the game's chat (barf). We Are Venoms is the alliance name and it is open to Champion+ tier if anyone was interested. I think my name is Redfield85 in the game.

There is a symbiote event coming very soon, so I am saving all my in-game currency to spend on those events/Venom characters.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

screen520x924.jpeg

It was amazing until I reached 'Three Sort' and despite beating my head against it for hours, I can't cut one more command from my solution to meet the target. So now it's terrible and I never want to see it again.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »

screen520x924.jpeg

I really liked it too, but it sort of drives me nuts because it's like doing assembly for a 286, but less powerful and you only have one register.

the Sequence is pretty good for that style of game too. A little more visual but at the end of the day, still very programmy feeling.
    I don't think it's on iOS, but you should look TIS-100 up on steam

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thank Christ I found the program snip I needed. I can now heartily recommend Human Resiurce Machine, and more importantly I can sleep tonight.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Thank Christ I found the program snip I needed. I can now heartily recommend Human Resiurce Machine, and more importantly I can sleep tonight.
    Unfortunately, it is no longer on sale.

• Options
    Probably still worth it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Probably still worth it.
    Yeah, I mean probably is, but I'm annoyed with myself for waiting too long while it was on sale.

• Options

I had to stop giving a shit about the performance targets because I was starting to hate myself, life, logic, the concept of numbers, people with the capacity to love, small animals, etc.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I just won a game of Dream Quest for the first time. Feeling very good about myself.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    JonBob wrote: »
    I just won a game of Dream Quest for the first time. Feeling very good about myself.

how'd you do it?

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Monk. Since one of the class skills makes all damage piercing, I didn't have to diversify. I went all-in on +card and +action cards, and boosted my stock actions a bit. Eventually removed every attack card from my deck. Then got a Deck of Wonder, and immediately secured an equipment slot, then used a level up to clone it so I had two. It was majestic.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1