Options

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    They need to do what Marvel did back in the Marvel Knights days with Joe Quesada and give someone with experience (like Geoff Johns) the editor-in-chief position. (DC actually gave the guy who Quesada replaced, Bob Harras, the EIC role)

They also need to stop pissing off the most talented writers and artists in the industry. A lot of DC's woes can be traced back to the fact that, with a few high profile exceptions, the talent people want to read will not work for them.

When was the last time DC talked big about new talent? I remember when Marvel announce the new Ms Marvel series, they did a huge job of pushing G Willow Wilson into the spotlight, getting her interviews and making sure people paid attention. I can't really remember the last time DC did something like that.

They have been giving Babs Tarr and Annie Wu ongoings, which I'm in favor of (great female artists). They're definitely not Jim Lee house style artists though, so I really hope DC doesn't dump them. And yeah, DC hasn't pushed them nearly as much as Marvel does with their new talent

You know, I've never even heard of them, and I hit some of the major comic sites two or three times a day. DC really needs to start pushing their talent and get their names out there.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    They need to do what Marvel did back in the Marvel Knights days with Joe Quesada and give someone with experience (like Geoff Johns) the editor-in-chief position. (DC actually gave the guy who Quesada replaced, Bob Harras, the EIC role)

They also need to stop pissing off the most talented writers and artists in the industry. A lot of DC's woes can be traced back to the fact that, with a few high profile exceptions, the talent people want to read will not work for them.

When was the last time DC talked big about new talent? I remember when Marvel announce the new Ms Marvel series, they did a huge job of pushing G Willow Wilson into the spotlight, getting her interviews and making sure people paid attention. I can't really remember the last time DC did something like that.

If you go back to right before the New 52 reboot, G. Willow Wilson was also an up and coming DC/Vertigo writer, and they squandered her (two rushed fill-in issues on a terrible Superman run) and messed around with her (cancelled her Vertigo book in spite of critical acclaim) and eventually it ended with her falling out of the comics industry entirely for a few years. Which makes her an even better case study of how to treat and promote an up-and-coming creator.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

They push Zach Snyder a lot, and they've hired some of his proteges. And I guess they give Morrison a long leash and the freedom to do his own publicity, but
    that's a really odd relationship.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I think the state of DC at the moment is interesting, not because they appear to finally be floundering in sales, but because it didn't happen sooner.

For years, DC's been famous for mismanaging creators, and cultivating an antagonistic relationship with readers.

This is a company that wouldn't give Mark Waid a flagship book, and booted Kevin Maguire from a Giffen/DeMatteis Bwa-Ha-Ha Justice League book.

This is a company that taunted Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain's fans for years. Dan Didio made a girl at a panel goddamn cry, dudes.

No wonder their new initiatives are failing - all the people that wanted to read about Midnighter or Prez were told to go fuck themselves.

Look at the sales for the new version of Secret Six. Same writer as the previous version. Some of the same cast. Issue #4 sold about 22k copies. Those sales are only a hair above the 21.5k that issues #24 of the previous volume sold, back in 2010. Either the kind of readers that read those weird, niche books have switched to reading their comics digitally, or they've abandoned DC. I'm definitely one of the latter, having dropped all my DC pulls, about a year into the New 52. And why not? Marvel's got Ms. Marvel, and Loki, and all these other fun, weird books for those readers.

Even when they do put out interesting stuff, like their DC You line, they manage to fuck it up. I was flipping through the first issue of Bizarro, planning to buy it, and then I see this motherfucker:

b3swqd7.jpg

Like, Marvel's not perfect by any means (and I've switched to buying all their stuff in TPB), but I never really felt insulted by them, as a reader. I really can't say the same of DC.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Bizarro is still awesome if you can look past the ads.

• Options
    AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular

They have been giving Babs Tarr and Annie Wu ongoings, which I'm in favor of (great female artists). They're definitely not Jim Lee house style artists though, so I really hope DC doesn't dump them. And yeah, DC hasn't pushed them nearly as much as Marvel does with their new talent

You know, I've never even heard of them, and I hit some of the major comic sites two or three times a day. DC really needs to start pushing their talent and get their names out there.

That's...really on you dude, lol. Babs Tarr is A-list now thanks to that Batgirl reboot, and it's like 1 of 2 two books that's still doing good at DC after the hiatus. Wu's not as big, but she got a ton of exposure drawing the Kate Bishop chapters on Fraction's Hawkeye run.

They push Zach Snyder a lot, and they've hired some of his proteges. And I guess they give Morrison a long leash and the freedom to do his own publicity, but
    that's a really odd relationship.

^ You mean Scott Snyder, thank god.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    AnarCHris wrote: »

That's...really on you dude, lol. Babs Tarr is A-list now thanks to that Batgirl reboot, and it's like 1 of 2 two books that's still doing good at DC after the hiatus. Wu's not as big, but she got a ton of exposure drawing the Kate Bishop chapters on Fraction's Hawkeye run.

No, its really not. Hit up any major comic sites or news publications, and you'll find almost nothing on Babs Tarr. The last time I can find anyone speaking to her was almost a year ago. I'm not living in a vacuum, I'm hitting the comics sites and talking with friends about books all the time. And Babs Tarr never comes up. That's not A-List by any stretch of the imagination.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I have never heard of Babs Tarr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vprlc6Jcm74

• Options

No, its really not. Hit up any major comic sites or news publications, and you'll find almost nothing on Babs Tarr. The last time I can find anyone speaking to her was almost a year ago. I'm not living in a vacuum, I'm hitting the comics sites and talking with friends about books all the time. And Babs Tarr never comes up. That's not A-List by any stretch of the imagination.

Comics Alliance: http://comicsalliance.com/?submit_button=&s=babs+tarr
    The Beat, which some reason skipped over an interview with her from SDCC when I search http://www.comicsbeat.com/?s=babs+tarr

CBR: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=search&q=babs+tarr&cof=FORID:9&ie=UTF-8

I excluded The Mary Sue and USA Today, but you get the point.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

The Beat, which some reason skipped over an interview with her from SDCC when I search http://www.comicsbeat.com/?s=babs+tarr

CBR: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=search&q=babs+tarr&cof=FORID:9&ie=UTF-8

Babs Tarr's entire career thus far consists of 10 issues of a title that was #71 on the sales charts last month, and three fill-in issues for other DC titles. She's definitely building buzz, but she's a long way from being labeled as A-list.

• Options

Babs Tarr's entire career thus far consists of 10 issues of a title that was #71 on the sales charts last month, and three fill-in issues for other DC titles. She's definitely building buzz, but she's a long way from being labeled as A-list.

That wiki's already outdated, as she's done cover work for Marvel, BOOM! and whoever's putting out "Fresh Romance". And keep in mind she's already getting her work put on t-shirts and statues.

Maybe saying she's A-list is a tad premature, but she's certainly a name, given the insane amount of buzz surrounding Batgirl and women in comics in general. She may not be a Jim Lee in terms of #brand, but she's close to a Kelly Sue Deconnick at this point, which is huge for this medium.

Getting back on topic, I found this via some DC creator's on twitter. Fascinating read, and apologies if it was posted before. http://graphicpolicy.com/2015/08/31/dc-comics-dcyou-shows-strength-looking-beyond-physical-sales/

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    http://www.newsarama.com/25766-superman-lois-clark-brings-preboot-husband-wife-back-to-main-dc-continuity.html

So....pre nu 52 superman is alive in this timeline with lois. I dont even.

Whats the countdown timer on a new new new reboot?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Wait, so during all the shit that happened with Darkseid and the invasion of earth or whatever, pre-NU52 was in California and not helping to stop this end of the world shit?

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    It might be that this Superman came to this timeline right after the invasion was done?
    The Darkseid War is weird anyways... It's in its own little bubble of continuity the way things are going at the moment.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Wait, so during all the shit that happened with Darkseid and the invasion of earth or whatever, pre-NU52 was in California and not helping to stop this end of the world shit?

no seriously. Our pre-nu52 superman is just retired? "nevermind the folks that need help or the newer younger supes that could maybe use some guidance? ima chill over here."
    Jurgens: I think this Superman will appeal to readers because he has a rich and deep history.

One of the things readers have wrestled with, in terms of the "New 52," is that, by starting five years into the universe, they often felt as if the characters lacked context. While some of that freed writers to take characters in new directions, it also meant there could be a lack of understanding about who the characters are and how they relate to one another.

These characters have a past that is essential to the characters they are now, just as our pasts are essential to who we are. That’s what forms their character.

Wait.... you eliminated the "context" with this soft boot shit and this is your chance to bring it back cause that's what the readers want. If you bring that char into this world- there is no context or history as all that doesnt exist.

this is baffling. Would it not be a giant indicator that new-dc isnt working? Did he just directly state his authors do not understand the characters? he did.

"We eliminated all the context- quick bring back the chars we left in the dust with this new direction; these kids want context."
    "So like in supes and lois in thier own past world where thier story and lives have meaning and history? Like what if tales or earth 3342 stories or some such? Didn't we make the Crises to fix this multiple continuity issues-"
    "We don't have time for that throw him in this world and every so often make him whistful for times past."
    "Do you have any idea what you are doing?"
    "CONTEXT"

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    If Dan Didio and Diane Nelson say it's working, it must be working!

I feel bad for old-hands like Jurgans and Giffen who are stuck in that nightmare and forced to take on trouble projects and then promote them.

Also, I was very interested in that book until learning it's set in the New 52. Now I'm very hesitant.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    The new DC YOU doesn't have continuity anymore, it's all about just throwing stuff out there and seeing what sells. "People don't like the new Superman? Let's sell them the 90s one and see how it goes" or "Hey, Ultimates was a big seller for Marvel, let's have Bryan Hitch do the same for us"

Zavian on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This Lois and Clark series is something I was happy for when I saw it announced.

But it doesn't need to be in the nuDCnU52 or whatever, let it be the standalone story from Convergence.

You can sort of see how Jurgens was given the greenlight to write a character he totally gets/got, but now someone is saying "forget what we did with Convergence, put it all in one universe"

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, DC is so fucked.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I'm 100% okay with continuity bubbles

But bringing pre-new52 Superman into Earth Prime is... an odd choice

• Options
    I thought I read something that all of the dc you titles were failing horribly.

Oh here we go. Dido hates them and already removed the "each tittle is guranteed 12 issues edict" So they can be cancelled at will.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/26/dc-comics-to-enter-an-austerity-regime-cancelled-titles-reduced-page-rates-more-ads/

Not that it matters. The creators were told to stop "batgirling" and go back to basics. Ie don't take chances like the Harley book or batgirl book. You know fresh fun takes.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/25/dc-tells-editors-stop-batgirling-go-back-to-meat-and-potatoes/

Time for new leadership.

• Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    I was all for the Superman: Lois and Clark book. I figured after Convergence they'd wind up on some Earth that maybe never had a Superman but had some of his villains? Or maybe where Lex got to realize his potential without the "interference" of Superman? Or anything?

I never ever thought they'd set this book on the new 52 Earth. How.... limiting. It really limits the story potential, in that they'll never have the 80s-00s Superman realize his heroic potential again because it will short sell the new 52 Superman.

Why, DC. Why.

• Options
    That's also not to say that I don't like the new 52 Superman. I actually do. The new 52 Superman has much more doubt in himself and his surroundings than the post-crisis Superman. That's kind of interesting.

But new 52 Superman's story is also lessened by post-crisis Superman's presence because the audience knows that post-crisis Superman is a more idealized "perfect" version and the question is always asked "Well, why didn't he help out when Darkseid/Anti-Monitor/Crime Syndicate/Doomsday Virus/literally anything in the new 52 happened," thus lessening how effective post-crisis Superman could possibly be.

Bah.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    New 52 Superman did have the best Krypto story though

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I like New52 Supes written by Pak and Morrison.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    So for anyone still following the Super-books, as the big mega arc "Truth" begins to wrap up, secrets are starting to be revealed, we're starting to see how all of the pieces fit together, and it's starting to get pretty interesting.
    The "Truth" mini-arcs for Action and Batman/Superman wrapped up this week. Each ends with a two or three page coda illustrated by Howard Porter. The Action Comics coda has the villain of the arc, a new one revealed as Wrath who controls the shadow creatures that have been plaguing Superman, entering a door/portal to a space with three other doors. Three obscured figures enter these doors and they chat.

ac%2B44-08.jpg

At first I thought the three panels with the obscured figures was all one person. Then I realized that they're actually three different people, so we're looking at a gang of four villains conspiring against Superman.

Batman/Superman ends with another coda by Porter, wherein the secret villain behind Batman/Superman's "Truth" mini-arc is revealed to be Vandal Savage and what he says corresponds with the figure talking about waiting for two thousand years. We've yet to get to the final chapter of Superman/Wonder Woman and Superman, but one of the obscured figures uses the dialogue tic (lowercase "sort of") that has been emphasized in Superman as belong to HORDR_ROOT. The last obscured figure is still an unknown - Superman/Wonder Woman's "Truth" mini-arc doesn't seem to have a specific overall villain - however, the dialogue's emphasis on speed ("a little late" "catch up fast") and the fact that the Suicide Squad featured in S/WW's arc, points to the new Reverse-Flash being a possible candidate.

The last chapters of the "Truth" are definitely suggesting there's a big story unfolding here and a plan by the writers. I'm kinda excited!

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I'm a month and change behind on the Super books from moving and starting a new job, but that is pretty interesting. Also kind of unfortunate, because I was considering dropping S/WW and Superman since I haven't been impressed with the writing or plotting. This seems to suggest we're eventually heading into another Doomed style event, where all four will be mandatory reading.

@Rans, are you current on the Lantern books still? Are they any good right now?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I'm a month and change behind on the Super books from moving and starting a new job, but that is pretty interesting. Also kind of unfortunate, because I was considering dropping S/WW and Superman since I haven't been impressed with the writing or plotting. This seems to suggest we're eventually heading into another Doomed style event, where all four will be mandatory reading.

@Rans, are you current on the Lantern books still? Are they any good right now?

Uhhhh... I think Venditti has good ideas but his execution still falls flat. Like, Hal going "rogue" with the Krona Gauntlet in a lawless universe could be interesting.. and Venditti did the right thing in surrounding him with a new supporting cast... it's just that supporting cast is dry as dirt. No real personalities, and the ship's sassy AI only spouts cliched dialogue.

Lost Army is three issues in and very little has happened. I guess the reveal that they've been sent not only back in time but also to a previous universe that no longer exists would be really cool if you were really into Relic and Relic's backstory. But, given that it's a Venditti creation, it's kind of intellectually interesting but so far hasn't made for a compelling story.

Sinestro is very good and I hope it is given the space that it needs to tell this slow burn story of Sinestro amassing his forces carefully for an unstated purpose and, if you're counting Omega Men (which I do since it stars Kyle), Omega Men is extremely good.

Ultiamtely, I think Venditti's gotta go. It's not bad, exactly, but it's not exciting or interesting. It's time to move on to someone else.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Rans wrote: »
    if you're counting Omega Men (which I do since it stars Kyle), Omega Men is extremely good.

Bad news, then; it's canceled

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Too good to continue apparently.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I thought JLUnited would be able to stay afloat just on the JL name.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

First issue sales under Parker fell way lower than they were under Lemire (where they had already been fairly low). I don't know if it was Convergence or the additional skip month, or the fact that Lemire was doing some pretty esoteric stuff in the book to begin with (another LoSH reboot for the New 52!), but it was out of luck from the start. I felt Parker's first issue was kind of rough and moved a little too fast to follow with all of the characters, even though I loved the premise of doing 1 and 2-parters with characters that aren't being featured in other titles.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's August sales projections from ICV2.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Keith wrote: »
    if you're counting Omega Men (which I do since it stars Kyle), Omega Men is extremely good.

Lobo is on that list too. I like the book's writer, Cullen Bunn, but I hope NuLobo's next appearance features him being dealt with by the real Lobo, written and drawn by Keith Giffen.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I said it before, but it should have been renamed/relaunched as Justice League Unlimited

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    So, I've been reading various DC-stories-for-kids to my kids recently, and they've picked up a fair bit of the background along the way. Enough that when we read one with "Tim Drake, the second Robin" in it, they were having none of it, they knew about Jason Todd. So I mentioned that he's back alive again, as is often the case -- and they wanted to know how he'd come back to life. I wasn't actually sure, but I figured it was some sort of lazarus pit / magic / not-really-him-in-the-first-place / the usual types of bunk they make up, so I went and looked it up.
    It is later revealed that he had indeed died at the hands of the Joker. However, when Superboy-Prime alters reality from the paradise dimension in which he is trapped — his punches against the barrier keeping him from the rest of the universe causing temporal ripples — Jason Todd is restored to life,

Hm. To explain Infinite Crisis, or not to explain Infinite Crisis?
    me wrote:
    Yeah, it was magic.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Keith wrote: »

Yeah, too bad. Especially when interviews like this from the writer are floating around: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/14/tom-king-on-omega-mens-twelve-issue-storyline-two-months-ago/ with how planned out the 12 issue arc was.

Here's my wild guess: DC recognizes how critically acclaimed (but low selling) Omega Men was. They know Tom King is a big time up and comer for them, what with how well Grayson is doing. They want to keep him happy and know they can milk more sales out of what he was doing with Omega Men, so they let him continue his story in a new launch under the Green Lantern banner. Call it Green Lantern: Vega System or Green Lantern: Omega or something. Guaranteed it sells far better than Omega Men, at least for awhile.

Edit: Alternate outcome - DC bobbles this terribly, Tom King goes Marvel exclusive within the next 3 months. Seems more likely, yes?

Rans on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure anytime they ever reference Jason Todd's return, they will just mention the Lazarus Pit and nothing else. That's what the animated movie did, and I have a feeling that was the original intention in the comics until they decided to try and tie Infinite Crisis into it.

The reality punch quickly became a (pardon the pun) punchline, and a Lazarus Pit was still part of the original story (the reality punch apparently brought him back wrong and Talia found him and dunked him in the pit to fix him), so I don't doubt that the Lazarus Pit will be the only thing they mention from here on out.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Oh, okay, that's much more explain-able. Even without how ridiculous "punching continuity" is, just the amount of backstory(ies) to explain how superboy-prime wound up there is more than I could face.

• Options
    Those ICV2 Estimates are up.

Lots of other books are floating around the ones that were cancelled, and JLU's numbers were pretty low but surprisingly close to stuff like Sinestro, Green Lantern Lost Army, Constantine, etc. Martian Manhunter is struggling and Prez is doing abysmally. I can't imagine that Prez will get its second volume. I don't expect it to be very long before there's another wave of cancellations.

Obviously the Convergence spin-off books and the titles by old creators next year will probably all bomb on release as well. BC insists the current cancellations are in favor of returning to 'meat and potatoes' type storytelling, but I can't imagine said meat and potatoes books taking off either. DC is in for a dire year; hopefully that will be enough to trigger a major shakeup.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I'm surprised Age of Apocalypse has been doing so well; I'm rather fond of the 90s books, but the recent AoA comics have been pretty terrible (besides the Uncanny X-Force arcs). The Secret Wars one hasn't been that great either, although I do like the Joe Madureira style art way more than I have any right to. I've always loved the AoA universe though so hopefully Marvel will come out with another ongoing (with better writers and concepts)

As for DC, yeah, they're losing horribly to Marvel. You'd think they'd get the message and clean up their editorial ranks, but I'm guessing that's not going to be the case

Zavian on