As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    Cassandra Cain is on the cover to B&R Eternal #3
    oSDHX4Z.jpg

I wonder if she'll be mute again? I always thought that was super cool, she was just this completely quiet ball of faceless fury.

I can also see an argument for maybe not having a female superhero who literally can't talk back though

She talks, just not very much. And she has hand signals.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Batman & Robin Eternal #1. I am now getting two DC books, that and Grayson.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I enjoyed Batman & Robin Eternal #1. I am now getting two DC books, that and Grayson.

Well, Grayson is in both.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    People are going bannaners for pre nu52 superman coming back "lois and clark" book.

Ima have to read it after all.....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    People are going bannaners for pre nu52 superman coming back "lois and clark" book.

Ima have to read it after all.....

I was excited for it but wrote it off when it was announced the premise was bringing them back to the start of the New 52 (so they've been around the whole time but haven't stepped in).

But then I read the preview. It looks fantastic. I can't wait.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Okay, that's a good preview.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Tom Taylor and ethan van sciver doing a Green Lantern : Edge of Oblivion 6 issue mini-series, which is continuing plot threads from Lost Army

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was re-reading Justice League #44:
    I think the Joker might be the god of laughter/mockery, Gelos. I think that's why Batgod said 'impossible' when his new mobius chair told him Joker's true identity.

H9f4bVe.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Lois & Clark #1 was good, a remembrance of things past, never to be held, to be cared for, ever again. I still don't understand Convergence (they lost their world but then it came back, so just go back, right?), and it's clear Jurgens is basically just going to play with his old Superman run, only in the new DC world with things like Cyborg Superman and other stuff that Clark is waiting to pop up with in anticipation of this world matching up with his own (I thought Cyborg Superman already showed up?), but that's a decent place to start from.

Only thing that was off was more background subtleties that lost that subtle edge. Lois and her writing (she's a bestselling anonymous author) come across much more like she's the old version of Ollie Queen than she really needs to be, unless they play up Clark being more Hawkman to balance it out, which could be possible. In this world he's taking rugged individualism to the max, working under the radar and almost trying to be the continuity police for everything that has happened different from the two universes so far.

But it was fun, refreshing, and Week's art is really good, I like this style he has now. Plus, Jonathan has a dog, is actually likable, and I'm just dreading the final issue of this series turning out to be some villain killing the entire family.

• InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Lois & Clark #1 was good, a remembrance of things past, never to be held, to be cared for, ever again. I still don't understand Convergence (they lost their world but then it came back, so just go back, right?), and it's clear Jurgens is basically just going to play with his old Superman run, only in the new DC world with things like Cyborg Superman and other stuff that Clark is waiting to pop up with in anticipation of this world matching up with his own (I thought Cyborg Superman already showed up?), but that's a decent place to start from.

Only thing that was off was more background subtleties that lost that subtle edge. Lois and her writing (she's a bestselling anonymous author) come across much more like she's the old version of Ollie Queen than she really needs to be, unless they play up Clark being more Hawkman to balance it out, which could be possible. In this world he's taking rugged individualism to the max, working under the radar and almost trying to be the continuity police for everything that has happened different from the two universes so far.

But it was fun, refreshing, and Week's art is really good, I like this style he has now. Plus, Jonathan has a dog, is actually likable, and I'm just dreading the final issue of this series turning out to be some villain killing the entire family.

Villain turns out to be Dan Didio

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Invectivus wrote: »

Again?

kyrcl.png
  • InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Invectivus wrote: »

Again?

DC has a hard time coming up with original villains?

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Lois & Clark was really good!
    I wonder how far they'll take the power fluctuations Superman is having. Is it just old age? Or the result of being in a different universe? It's interesting to me.
    As always Lee Weeks has wonderful art. Jurgens can be the fill in artist and Lee Weeks can stay on for a long time. I hope :)

Armoroc on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    I'm really on the fence about Lois & Clark. On one hand, that's the Superman I grew up with and being written by one of his "creators" (Other than Byrne kicking off the 1985 reboot, has any other creator contributed to the Post-Crisis / Pre-New 52 Superman more than Jurgens?).

So I guess I'm waiting to see if Jurgens writes this more as a sequel to his run on the character (which ended, more or less in 1999, correct?) or if he encompasses more of this Superman's history.

Basically, if it has any tie backs to the most perfect era of Superman stories (Loeb/Kelly/Casey/Schultz 1999-2004) then I'm there.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Hmmm...1999? I always thought Superman 200 as the ending. TBH, I always liked Jerry Ordway more than Jurgens.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Wasn't Cyborg Superman in the New 52 already?

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular

Yes. He was Zor-el, turned into a cyborg by Brainiac, but he isn't aware that he was originally Zor-el.

• Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Wow, and I thought they couldn't get anything more stupid than Hank Henshaw.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I was re-reading Justice League #44:
    I think the Joker might be the god of laughter/mockery, Gelos. I think that's why Batgod said 'impossible' when his new mobius chair told him Joker's true identity.
    You know how else didn't believe their computer when it told them a person's secret identity?
    superman-102.jpg

Clark Kent is the Joker.

Yes. He was Zor-el, turned into a cyborg by Brainiac, but he isn't aware that he was originally Zor-el.

I initially read that as Jor-El and was WTF.

kyrcl.png
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    Hmmm...1999? I always thought Superman 200 as the ending. TBH, I always liked Jerry Ordway more than Jurgens.

Jurgens' run ended with #150

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

I initially read that as Jor-El and was WTF.

It was still sort of WTF, since at the time he was more of a Supergirl villain(I think all of his New52 appearances were in her book).

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Wow, and I thought they couldn't get anything more stupid than Hank Henshaw.

Why on earth would you think that?

Blind optimism, I suppose. I know that a lot of the people that write these comics are fans - they like these characters, they love these characters, they have stories that they want to tell. Sure, they're getting paid to do it and it's a job that puts food on the table whiskey in the glass, but I like to imagine they aren't all soulless, talentless hacks churning material out to suit whatever direction that editorial passes down to them from on high. Hell, a lot of retcons happen because writers are trying to smooth out and paper over the stupid parts. When you think of how much progress, in general, comics have made over the last couple of decades - the art quality has gone up, the production values, we're getting (generally speaking) a lot more interesting and varied plots, characters, and genres to work with... ah, well. I guess every cynic is an optimist at heart. Even me.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    Blind optimism, I suppose. I know that a lot of the people that write these comics are fans - they like these characters, they love these characters, they have stories that they want to tell. Sure, they're getting paid to do it and it's a job that puts food on the table whiskey in the glass, but I like to imagine they aren't all soulless, talentless hacks churning material out to suit whatever direction that editorial passes down to them from on high. Hell, a lot of retcons happen because writers are trying to smooth out and paper over the stupid parts. When you think of how much progress, in general, comics have made over the last couple of decades - the art quality has gone up, the production values, we're getting (generally speaking) a lot more interesting and varied plots, characters, and genres to work with... ah, well. I guess every cynic is an optimist at heart. Even me.

Sadly, I think the bolded part is 90% of DC's problems.

kyrcl.png
    I don't think it's unique to DC.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I don't think it's unique to DC.

It ebbs and fades at most of the comics companies - even Image - but DC is deep down the well right now.

• strangelightingstrangelighting Registered User regular
    The books under Doyle's editorial at DC are doing great though. Most of DC's worst books are under Berganza's editorial (including Wonder Woman, Teen Titans, Red Hood) while most everything under Doyle is at least decent. Pretty much all the DC I'm reading save for Omega Men is under him, and even then he's the one that brought Tom King to DC.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I keep hearing that Injustice 2 has been confirmed and that Red Hood will be playable but I can't seem to find a source on it?

I actually have a soft spot for Injustice... i'm terrible at fighting games but I played it a bunch with my college roommate.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Injustice was pretty fun, though I wish I had played it before MKX. It kinda feels like a step backward.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    So. DK3.

I suppose in theory I can appreciate a comic that contains an Atom mini-comic nested inside it, but only just.

The Dark Knight Strikes Again has a lot going for it, you know...sure, in many ways it is way over the top, but in retrospect the over-the-topness was a critical strength. It may not have had any of the grounding found in the original that made Gotham almost resemble the New York of Scorcese's Taxi Driver, but, for what it lacks in realism, it excels in a kind of gonzo verve. There is a brazen ugliness to some of the work, and the muted hues found in the original Dark Knight are replaced with overcooked slabs of digital coloring, but hell. It didn't look like anything else on the shelf, and for the most part still has that jarring quality. DKS2 seemed to need an outsider's touch, some guiding element to help it along. Surely the new Joker with his speech bubble marking on his face was intended as a metatextual device that never got off the ground, right? There are half-references all over the place, like cables for missing speakers in a soundsystem. If there had been any way at all to mediate something with Grant Morrison as a consultant, I could almost imagine...something that would light up those odd spots of unrealized narrative that hint at something stranger than the Zam Biff Pow finale piece.

So I can understand bringing in abler hands. And I do understand that Miller needs some help these days getting these things done. But...there's just not enough on these pages to justify the 5.99 cover price, which, no doubt, is pumped up by the aforementioned Atom comic, and this weird, ugly, glossed cover fitted over the exterior. Whereas the original Dark Knight has an intensity of a handmade world grafted into a familiar-seeming movie world version of New York in the 80s, and the sequel was like an absurdist dreamland version of a half-future where the media cannibalizes itself into irrelevance, the Master Race has nothing. There is no arc here. Pieces are introduced with no meaning. Did it matter that Wonder Woman defeated a Minotaur, or was it enough that it just looked cool? The art is damningly inoffensive-if not for the strange plotting, it barely has any means to distinguish itself, unless Batman fighting cops, and cops fighting Batman, is supposed to be any kind of eye opener.

Miller has apparently promised a fourth Dark Knight after this chapter completes, allegedly to be done entirely by his own hand. Well, maybe so. Miller has increasingly pushed the limits of his style into nightmarish caricatures, floating in uncertain backdrops, whilst giving stranger and stranger demonstrations of rationalizations that are hard to reconcile with the world at large. The Master Race gives none of the weird highs of DKSR and thinly mimes some of the superficial imagery present in the original DKR. It won't satisfy fans of either work, and fails to channel any of the weird power a contemporary Miller comic would undoubtedly provide. Lets hope Dark Knight Forever (or whatever it gets called) sees the light of day, so at least the genuine article can appear in the flesh, warped as it may be when that day comes.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The first Dark Knight was great, my TPB copy is dog eared to hell from repeated readings. The second one....was unnecessary, but in some parts entertaining. I can't say I even considered checking out the third one.

From what I saw of DK3 on the bleeding cool blurb, it seems like the only important part of the issue was the Miller drawn-Atom mini comic. Everything else seemed to be Azzarello trying to mimic where he thinks Miller's story would go. Robin is now Batman/Batwoman, scattered thoughts instead of pages so dense they took a minute or two to read per page (remember those good old days?)...

And WW brings super-baby into battle on her back, that's gotta be a no-no, even if he is the child of two demigods.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I might be remembering wrong, reading DKR2 was like a fever dream, but wasn't their child a girl?

I....I can't remember, was Supergirl their kid too? Like, Superman gets beat up in the first issue because Miller hates Superman, he has sky sex with WW and I think she says she's pregnant after that because Hermes makes pregnancy tests that are lightning fast lol.

The only thing I remember from DK2 was Dick being Joker and sexy news lady was the Matrix or something, and Jimmy was being beaten up by Luthor because he's a thug now for some reason. Oh, and one of the pages was just some shitty digitized explosion that looked so bad DC should have made a point not to pay anyone for that page.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Thing that really puzzled me about DK3 is, at the end of Dark Knight Strikes Again, it really seemed like all the Kryptonians turned into nano-Superman and they all could fly and shoot eye beams and the whole nine yards. They certainly had no trouble leaving their jar of Kandor then, and didn't seem to care how small they were. Let's be honest, they've been small so damn long, do they really care? They've been living in a to-scale futuristic city. Granted, maybe Kandor is a debased, crowded micro-Gotham of rampant crime. Or maybe all those tiny Kandorians went whole-hog and out of control, for reasons, and that's why Superman froze them and himself.

Wouldn't either of those things be a more interesting place to start a story, both narratively and visually? Imagine a DK3 that starts with Batman using the Atom's tech to go micro to clean up Kandor, and the last page is the teaser that shows us he's just an eety beety guy in a jar in the new new new Bat Cave. Batman with his self-contained War on Crime, locked away from the outside world.

That, really, is the saddest thing about this. Me from ten years ago would've easily given everyone on this project all the time in the world to let me down, imagining that they will bring it all together in the last chapter somehow. Saving the good stuff for the finale. Etc. I'd be cooking up cool possibilities left and right, in between the multi-month delays between issues. And then at the end of it, Batman punches a guy in the face with a jaw-dislocating grimace on his own face, and turns and smiles because he's gotten Catgirl pregnant so he'll have a new Robin he can train in utero (or whatever).

Any of us here could cook up a better plot for DK3: Batman Commits Genocide on the Kryptonians to Save Earth. C'mon. You know that's what this is gonna be. The Master Race are the Kryptonians. Evil, super-powered immigrants that Batman will have to put down to save the planet. C'mon. Odds of it being anything else...? Anyone??

Sad thing is, they could've made DK3 just, page for page, 100 sheets from Frank Miller's last sketchbook, maybe even go into some herculean depths ala the Marvel Method and cull and crop the images into a story and scry out the dialogue from the implications of the images, and it would be magnitudes better than what we were given. I would buy that indelicate scrimshaw. Hell, maybe I already have. Maybe that's what The Dark Knight Strikes Again really was. I still stand by my preference.

Also: That splash page of frozen Superman? It took me all day to figure out those red shapes at the top of the page were supposes to be his daughter's hovering feet. Maybe it was that her dialogue balloon was actually pointing away from them.

Shameful.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    So, Bleeding Cool is reporting that DC is going to relaunch most of their books this summer. DC could really use a relaunch to refocus

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/22/dc-comics-to-relaunch-everything-with-1s-again-this-summer-with-a-filmtv-bent/

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Does anybody care?

I mean

Well, if it's back to the good old days, yeah, I'd pick up more comics like in the past.

But if this is basically what Marvel's been quietly doing to their line and making things line up with the movies, only they're just doing a reboot, then that's the wrong way to go and it won't mean anything.

All I know is Nelson and Didio need to leave and Lee needs to just focus on drawing six issues on time again.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Wait didn't we already had a reboot recently? How old is the new 52????

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg