As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Not even five years.

.....five years of the nu52, that's just sad in its own right. I still vividly remember Snyder's Detective run, but can't remember crap about the Court of Owls.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Not confirmed that its a reboot at all yet, could be just a relaunch

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Naw..... It's a #rebirth :P

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I know, right? Personally I am pumped for the same tired crew writing the same tired stories under a nominally different banner.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Crisis on Infinite Earths happened over 30 years ago. DC needs to stop going to that well.

kyrcl.png
  • Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Well, that's sort of the problem, isn't it? I think both Marvel and DC recognize the inherent desirability and limitations that come with continuity. Both of them have exercised selective amnesia in the past, and are trying to keep the characters, settings, and stories fresh for new readers and yet keeping the essential identity of those characters the same. It's not a simple challenge, however you slice it.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Continuity is not DC's problem
    Their problems are manifold
    The tone of their first big ensemble superhero movie is utterly repugnant

Marvel for the movies, DC for the television shows.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos

Just like the late 90's and early 2000's when DC reigned supreme with the animated universe and Marvel was first coming into its own with X-Men and Spider-Man.

kyrcl.png
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Just like the late 90's and early 2000's when DC reigned supreme with the animated universe and Marvel was first coming into its own with X-Men and Spider-Man.

DC could do far worse than to give Paul Dini a lot of money and have him script their movies.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    edited January 2016

DC could do far worse than to give Paul Dini a lot of money and have him script their movies.

They are already doing far worse!

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    In other news Neal Adams is the writer and artist of a new Superman miniseries that's coming out next week. Article.
    So yeah... Seems like this might be one of those "its so bad that it's good" type of deals? I haven't really read Batman Odyssey or any of his work to be honest, but the general consensus seems that his writing is... Something.
    I'm tempted in trying something new, but I'm still not sure.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

I nominally don't have a problem with this, I'm a huge fan of the original DCAU and whatnot. The niggling thing though, is that of all people, Paul Dini was the dude behind DC's Countdown.

sig.gif
    No plot survives contact with Grant Morrison.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    How was that 52 thing collected? The weekly event from years ago. Was it any good?

No plot survives contact with Grant Morrison.
    Not 52, Countdown.

And the 52 arc was collected in 4 volumes that only had the main story, not the backup at the end of each issue.

sig.gif
    edited January 2016
    This actually seems like a reboot that has merit.

DC is relaunching Hanna-Barberra comics

(Sidenote: photobucket super sucks these days)

Jim Lee on Scooby Apocalypse (actually dig the designs save for Fred's tattoo):

2nh2udj.jpg

Amanda Conner on Flintstones:

jzgv11.jpg

Jeff Parker on Future Quest:

jb7ous.jpg

And a artist on Mad Max Fury Road doing Wacky Races:

295cy0x.jpg

TexiKen on
    Why is Velma a gender-swapped Gizmo?

sig.gif
    Shaggy looks like a hipster barista. I can't believe that isn't an Onion article.

kyrcl.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I have a lot of mixed feelings about this. DC hasn't really worked for me for years now, and I have concerns that this is what my friend refers to as "nostalgia mining".

On the other hand, The Herculoids! Space Ghost*! The Impossibles!!!

* - I really loved DC's non-ironic Space Ghost comic from 2005.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Shaggy's facial hair is dumb, but other than that I don't see anything that looks too bad. Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc. proved you can do an outstanding dark and serious Scooby-Doo story while still retaining the fun elements of the original. Velma looks cool - I wonder if she's meant to be a dwarf?

H9f4bVe.png
    I think she's just supposed to be one of those kids who is so smart they're 10 years old and in high school.

There's just something about this that feels clearer in concept than the new 52. Here, they seem to be accepting from the get-go it's a new imagining type thing. Scooby doesn't have to always be callbacks to the 70's and lol drugs and a talking dog, so hipster Shaggy and Scooby using emoticons, it sort of makes sense for a modern take. Wacky Races being Mad Maxified and possibly have a Twisted Metal slant too? Go for it. The riskiest thing seems to be a more realistic Flintstones but that could be me never really caring for them to begin with outside their vitamins.

TexiKen wrote: »
    I think she's just supposed to be one of those kids who is so smart they're 10 years old and in high school.

Velma looks like a female version of Teen Titans villain Gizmo.

500px-Jinx_and_Gizmo_complain.png

kyrcl.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I've never had a strong feeling about Scooby Doo either way

But that Scoobypocalypse (or whatever) seems to me to be the patina of nearly everything I consider to be DC Comics at its worst.

u4esq3db000a.jpg

Really bland, perfunctory coloring choices

Characters need big obvious tools/guns to explain themselves, EVEN THE DOG (cheap character design, give everyone a toy to give them something to do-hell, give Fred TWO toys, even though the composition is so cramped your eye could easily accept he is holding a single blaster with both hands, especially how high up he is holding it)

That really perfunctory Crouching Badass(tm) posture given to Daphne. What is she crouching over? That Space Jockey looking thing, because this is all a big Alien ripoff/homage? That thing that doesn't explain itself?

Shaggy is freaking out at a monster on the panel that he is not even looking at, or, maybe he's freaking out at his own mutant hand. (Poorly chosen composition choices, not factoring in where characters are looking/what their expressions are/what direction their eyes should be looking)

Oh, I know! Let's give Scooby some bubble emoticons not unlike that popular comic dog that happened in the arrowguy book. Only, you know, we'll crop them off in the image itself.

This seriously screams of something that wasn't given the time or resources to be made well, and was given lots of last minute notes that had to be crammed into the promo piece. Then I saw it's a freaking Jim Lee piece. Which, again, c'mon DC.

The Scooby-Doo piece does nothing for me (in the sense that it doesn't really make me feel any emotion at all), but I am curious why Fandral the Dashing is hanging out with the Mystery Machine gang. Maybe it's "Scooby Meets the Warriors Three"?

Anyway, fact: "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" was better and smarter than any other version of Scooby-Doo.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I used to watch all these things because they would be on, constantly

But I don't have enough nostalgia to make this seem good enough to pick up

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Anyway, fact: "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" was better and smarter than any other version of Scooby-Doo.
    But the song was so annyoing

Incorrect.

Also, it occurs to me that "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" is a more cartoony take on the concept, and was stronger for it. The newly-announced comic is a more "realistic" approach; I wonder how that's going to work out. Taking a goofy premise and playing it straight can definitely work, but I don't know if DC is the creative company that can make that happen.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_71OlcZTOQ

Nah. That pseudo sock-hop sound is awful. They played it during the ep, too, it was too annoying for 8 year old me to stomach.

jdarksun on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular

Haven't seen Mystery Inc?

I haven't! Since I was speaking hyperbolically, I'm not going to amend my original statement, but it's totally possible that Mystery Incorporated was awesome; I can't judge.

I will say this, though: I learned the phrase "red herring" from "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo".

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mystery Inc. was the beeest. I have fond memories of Pup too as a kid, but I enjoyed Inc. as an adult. Had a Lovecraftian vibe throughout, some really deep character moments, and a supernatural explanation for why Scooby can talk, why criminals always feel compelled to disguise themselves as monsters, and why there exist knock-off groups based around a gang of kids with a funny talking animal side-kick.

And a total mindscrew of an ending that examines the very idea of idealized, 'happy' endings. I still can't believe how cool and smart it was.

Think I'm a watch it again.

H9f4bVe.png
  • MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    I have a lot of mixed feelings about this. DC hasn't really worked for me for years now, and I have concerns that this is what my friend refers to as "nostalgia mining".

On the other hand, The Herculoids! Space Ghost*! The Impossibles!!!

* - I really loved DC's non-ironic Space Ghost comic from 2005.

It really just reminds me of what DC tried to do when they bought up all those pulp characters a few years ago, and I expect it to end about as well. (Meaning: not at all.)

HOWEVER! As much as I hate DC's "grimdark in order to seem deep" thing, that grimdark Space Ghost mini- was the bomb. So.

And I'm not above picking up that Wacky Race Land series just for the art. Anyone wanna bet it only comes out every two ~ three months at best?

LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Mystery Inc. was the beeest. I have fond memories of Pup too as a kid, but I enjoyed Inc. as an adult. Had a Lovecraftian vibe throughout, some really deep character moments, and a supernatural explanation for why Scooby can talk, why criminals always feel compelled to disguise themselves as monsters, and why there exist knock-off groups based around a gang of kids with a funny talking animal side-kick.

And a total mindscrew of an ending that examines the very idea of idealized, 'happy' endings. I still can't believe how cool and smart it was.

Think I'm a watch it again.

Yes

OK

All of that sounds absolutely amazing.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I'll quote an old post of mine about Mystery Inc:
    The amount of references that Scooby Doo Mystery Inc has is insane. Not just to older Scooby Doo stuff (with the Hex Girls and Vincent Van Ghoul having multiple appearances and such), but to everything in general. They reference Big Trouble in Little China, the Dark Knight Returns, a Chris Farley SNL sketch, and Rorschach from Watchmen. They have entire episodes about Cthulu and Twin Peaks (including an actor from Twin Peaks voicing the character that is based on their Twin Peaks character).

They also have episodes referencing other Hanna Barbera properties, including one where they team up with the Blue Falcon to fight against Dr. Zin (the Johnny Quest villain, though possibly better known now as Dr. Z from Venture Bros). Also Jim Cummings voices Captain Caveman at one point.

The voice cast is also rather amazing. Lewis Black and Patrick Warburton have major recurring roles. Other recurring characters include Amy Acker, Mark Hamill, Tia Carrere, James Hong, Jennifer Hale and Maurice LaMarche.

Plus it's a series where the characters can change and develop over time because stuff actually carries over to future episodes (one of the main four even leaves the team for a while, even being replaced in the opening credits). Not to mention that characters can die for real in this series (some of which in some horrible ways, but always off-screen).

There is also an episode where the gang is driving the Mystery Machine as they are chased by a motorcycle-riding zombie ska band that ultimately leads to a Scott Pilgrim-style battle of the bands between the zombie ska band and the Hex Girls.

It is a little slow to start with the first few episodes appearing to be your standard Scooby stuff until they really get the ball rolling though.

They also managed to add some background and new character quirks to the main cast while still allowing them to feel like the same characters, which is something I doubt the new DC thing is going to pull off.

edited January 2016
    While we're all gushing, here's my thoughts as well.

Also- this is a reference that is made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yf2us_gN9Q

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    The tabloid site is throwing up a bunch of rumors throughout the day on Rebirth.

They are saying in June (so after issue 52 of the original new52 titles) they'll be a "Rebirth" issue of each series, and then a new number 1 next month (or June as well if it is a biweekly book).

As well, they are saying Tom King is probably the new writer on Batman

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Not (remotely) new, but every so often I'll be reminded of how much more fun comics could be (not that there are no fun comics nowadays, but sometimes they get fun entirely sucked out of them during rewrites). I'm reading my kids "DC Heroes For Kids" books from the library, and generally speaking, they have real characters in them. But sometimes they have the pre-Crisis versions of characters, because they're more kid-appropriate. And sometimes it's just a shame to see what happens.

For instance, Terra-Man. Pre-Crisis, he was the son of an Old West outlaw, who'd been raised by an alien and rode an alien winged horse while using high-tech alien versions of his cowboy-era weapons to do his hoodlum-ery:

latest?cb=20130505141034

post-Crisis: ugh ugh ugh
    Terra-Man.jpg