As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    If I remember right, they also didn't expect Harley to get as popular as she did and it was originally supposed to be a one-off for the episode Joker's Favor when they thought, "Hey, why doesn't Joker have a henchwoman instead of a henchman for this episode?" and then Dini thought "Hey, I'll write a role for my friend since it's just a one-shot."

• Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    Discovered this randomly yesterday: if you go to DC's website and visit the character section and choose any big character like Superman, scroll to the bottom of the entry where it shows what current comics Superman is appearing in, you'll see the unreleased covers for the unsolicited June comics. Clicking on them doesn't do anything, but clearly all of the information is already uploaded to the site.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeaaaah

if it were all like that Wonder Woman I'd have no problem with it, buuuuut:
    bombshell-var-detective-comics-13a91.jpeg

NOPE

I don't really have a problem with that one. It's pure Bettie Page, and Ivy works as a (mostly) naked character.

I think the designs that have a clear cultural inspiration (Wonder Woman as Rosie the Riveter, Ivy as Bettie Page, Black Canary as a greaser girl) are great. The random ones, like that Harley are pretty bad.

The Supergirl isn't offensive, it's just uncreative. It's basically Wonder Woman's original costume with gloves and a scarf.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think Supergirl's actual costume is okay but the upskirt combined with the bustier thing make it less okay

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You know what? I like Superman/Wonder Woman. The book has done more to sell me on the two being together than everything else in DC. And Daniel's art works well here. Even the more DCnU stuff that might be a mandate like the Zod/Faora stuff works with how Soule is telling the story, even having Superman (I genuinely have a hard time calling this new Superman Clark) and WW wear this kind of The Darkness-inspired Olympus armor to fight the kryptonians.

Of course now that I'm liking it Daniel and Soule will be moved off to something else. Or the book gets cancelled.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Superman/Wonder Woman will always suck because Orion/Wonder Woman is such a perfect match that has been editorially mandated into the dirt

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The relationship, yes. But the book itself is actually good.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Harley's based on an actual person? This is the first I've heard of that.

So is Stargirl.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Harley's based on an actual person? This is the first I've heard of that.

So is Stargirl.

Yep. Created in honor of [Geoff Johns's] dead sister.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    That is the most awkward way you could have written that statement

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    1389650682000-XXX-FLS-ANN-3.jpg

and he looks SUPER dumb.

Okay, good news. From the June solicitations, that's not Wally, that's "Future Flash".

Flash Facts for this issue:
    1. The Flash confronts the serial killer stalking Central City!
    2. Barry tries to repair his fractured relationship with Wally West!
    3. Future Flash continues to move toward the present for a final confrontation with one of the Rogues! Who will he kill next?

• Options
    Larfleeze is the only cancellation in June.

In worse news, Scott Lobdell is back on Red Hood and the Outlaws and Starfire is back to being super sexualized!

64qABa5.jpg

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    God. It's like her spine is the s-shaped tetris block.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Let's see...eyeballing it, just to start...

Waist as narrow as her head.

Breasts each as big as her head.

Spine not contorted but bent in a way even a superheroine shouldn't be able to hold for more than a few seconds.

Her sprawled out and half-dressed in a sexy pose (admittedly, with something that's basically a take on her classic costume, because Kory got it and depending on the writer she alternately flaunts it or doesn't care who sees it), while the dudes behind her are mostly concealed in, presumably, tropical heat and humidity, including complete face and mouth coverage on one of them, and those fabrics do not look like they breathe.

Stupid fucking trucker hat on Roy, I will never like that.

Sunset sky that appears to just be a photo.

And apparently Benes can't do a pic without a boobs and butt pose even if there's only one woman in the pic and she's not the one doing it. Which I guess is equal-opportunity, to be having a guy doing it for once?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am 90% sure Future Flash will end up being Wally.

He shows up the same arc a, presumably younger, Wally West that Barry is trying to befriend while Future Flash is killing villains?

Totally Wally.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Scott Lobdell draws Gratuitous Babe Art

Really what else would you expect?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Scott Lobdell draws Gratuitous Babe Art

Really what else would you expect?

An artist doing it

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Forever Evil #7 has been delayed two months, to the second-to-last-week of May.

Justice League is being pushed back accordingly, as is Nightwing #30.

What a disaster.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

What a disaster.

What's the reason for these delays?

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

What a disaster.

What's the reason for these delays?

non given yet, but with that length I assume #7 is probably being rewritten.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Jebus man.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So I noticed no Fairest issue is solicited for June. Is the series ending on issue 26 in May? I thought it was ending the same time as Fables early next year.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Robot 6: Whither Pandora? (Other than in ‘Trinity of Sin: Pandora’)
    This lady was obviously important, and her story would be central to the understanding the new status quo of the DC Universe, right?

Unfortunately, DC has yet to follow up on the mysterious, in-story reasoning for the biggest change to its fictional setting and superhero line since Crisis on Infinite Earths (if not longer), and nothing underscores and emphasizes the publisher’s rather perplexing decision to build up the character and her conflicts and then ignore them like a reading of Trinity of Sin: Pandora #1: The Curse, the new trade collection of the first five issues of the series, plus the aforementioned FCBD title.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Robot 6: Whither Pandora? (Other than in ‘Trinity of Sin: Pandora’)
    This lady was obviously important, and her story would be central to the understanding the new status quo of the DC Universe, right?

Unfortunately, DC has yet to follow up on the mysterious, in-story reasoning for the biggest change to its fictional setting and superhero line since Crisis on Infinite Earths (if not longer), and nothing underscores and emphasizes the publisher’s rather perplexing decision to build up the character and her conflicts and then ignore them like a reading of Trinity of Sin: Pandora #1: The Curse, the new trade collection of the first five issues of the series, plus the aforementioned FCBD title.

Are we certain that DC wants to remain the comics industry? Because I'm finding my doubt growing...

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Its a good question. I read a pretty good article about how the industry is actually doing pretty well sales wise... but what people are buying has changed greatly. The big 2 are down but there are a ton of little things picking up the slack.

I wonder if the 'house art'/story can even survive in this climate. I mean.... whats selling is divergent and different lil stuff.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DC Entertainment just announced a new monthly series: STAR-SPANGLED WAR STORIES!

Meet the soldier they call “G.I. Zombie,” a man who is neither dead nor alive, who fights for his country again… and again… and again! This time he’s dealing with domestic terror: his mission is to head west to deal with a gang that’s buying up all of the weapons in the surrounding states! Don’t miss the start of this new monthly series!

STAR-SPANGLED WAR STORIES is brought to you by the creative team behind ALL-STAR WESTERN, Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti, and is illustrated by Scott Hampton. Look for STAR-SPANGLED WAR STORIES #1 when it hits shelves on July 2, 2014.

Because shit, if GI Combat and Men of War couldn't get to issue #9, let's bring back another dated war title that sparks nostalgia for nobody under 40 years old.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Is everyone at DC afflicted with goldfish memory?

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I can't actually answer that since I keep flashing back to every damn Superman and Batman origin story that happens every other year.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    No you see this time will be different because mumble mumble 3D covers mumble

• Options
    Munch wrote: »
    Is everyone at DC afflicted with goldfish memory?

Actually, they can only remember things that have happened at least two decades ago.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    E1TT_CVR_COLOR_400_REV_C_533453c72f0b68.60452115.jpg?itok=4bPCkNRb
    Superstars Jeff Lemire (JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED, GREEN ARROW, ANIMAL MAN, SWEET TOOTH,THE NOBODY) and artist Terry Dodson (WONDER WOMAN) reinvent DC Comics' youngest heroes, with an all-new mythos in an all-new world!

Victor Stone, Tara Markov, Joey Wilson, and Gar Logan never felt like normal kids… but they had no idea how right they were. Their seemingly idyllic Oregon upbringing hides a secret—one that will bring killers, shamans, and extraterrestrials down on their heads, and force them into an alliance that could shake the planet to its foundations!

Okay, yeah, I'm down for Jeff Lemire & Terry Dodson Teen Titans

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Some interesting things:

There are no adult superheroes in this book's universe (yet), so there aren't any sidekicks. Characters like Robin, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, etc don't exist (yet)

The female character covered up in the flowing robes is Starfire. So there are three persons of color, two of them female, along with a third female. And none of them are hyper-sexualized!

It's like the anti New 52!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Dammit Jeff Lemire I can barely keep up with my Marvel books stop making me pay attention to DC as well.

Totally going to buy this and Lemire's JLU though, I want to reward good behaviour in the hopes that DC learns something.

• Options
    Well it's a graphic novel being released who knows when, so you have time.

• Options
    in the meantime you can reward my good behavior

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Wait wait wait.

This Teen Titans book takes place in another universe? Is that like an acknowledgement that Lobdell screwed up the Teen Titans in the New 52 beyond all recognition? No one wanted to even try to step up and fix them?

EDIT: Oh, it's an Earth One book.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Holy shit that Teen Titans book looks fucking cool, especially digging that Raven

I also like that Starfire is dressed a bit more elegant, although I hope that doesn't mean her cosmic hair is gone- that was one of my favorite visuals

Between this, Bloodspell and WW:E1 theres a lot of OGN goodness to look forward

Tairu on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    E1TT_CVR_COLOR_400_REV_C_533453c72f0b68.60452115.jpg?itok=4bPCkNRb
    Superstars Jeff Lemire (JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED, GREEN ARROW, ANIMAL MAN, SWEET TOOTH,THE NOBODY) and artist Terry Dodson (WONDER WOMAN) reinvent DC Comics' youngest heroes, with an all-new mythos in an all-new world!

Victor Stone, Tara Markov, Joey Wilson, and Gar Logan never felt like normal kids… but they had no idea how right they were. Their seemingly idyllic Oregon upbringing hides a secret—one that will bring killers, shamans, and extraterrestrials down on their heads, and force them into an alliance that could shake the planet to its foundations!

Okay, yeah, I'm down for Jeff Lemire & Terry Dodson Teen Titans

You know you have a problem as a company when the DODSON'S design outfits that are NOT cheesecake, in order to differentiate from your current universe.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    God, why couldn't they do something like this with the Titans in the New 52?

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Because then we might not be nearly as interested in this as we would have been