As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/equinox-new-cree-teen-superhero-joins-dc-comics-lineup-1.2588623

9781ujtbiqgu.jpg
    Metropolis's Superman and Gotham City's Batman are getting a brand-new colleague from Canada this spring: a teenage Cree superhero hailing from Moose Factory, Ont.

The isolated James Bay communities of Moose Factory and Moosonee take the spotlight in the forthcoming Justice League Canada, a five-issue story arc written by comic artist Jeff Lemire for the comic series Justice League United. The stories, featuring artwork by Mike McKone, debut in April.

After earning widespread acclaim for his Essex County graphic novel trilogy — based on his rural upbringing in southwestern Ontario — Lemire and his poignant storytelling style piqued the attention of comic giant DC Entertainment. After he had multiple titles (including Superboy, Justice League Dark and Green Arrow) under his belt, the Toronto-based Lemire landed a plum assignment: Justice League America. The patriotic artist and writer promptly pitched a Canadian stint for the classic DC super team.

"Not just put the CN Tower in the background and call it Justice in Canada," he told CBC News. "I wanted to put it in a rural setting because I think that's a really interesting thing: to take these big, bombastic superhero stories and put them in a very quiet setting, where you normally wouldn't see those characters."

First Nations inspiration

An interest in Canada's First Nations stories and a desire to share a different perspective than typically shared in general society and the media played a major part in Lemire's vision.

The result: along with the Justice League's Canadian relocation comes the brand-new heroine Equinox: a 16-year-old Cree teen from Moose Factory named Miiyahbin, whose power stems from the Earth and changes with the seasons.

"Creating a teenage female superhero was interesting to me because, generally, most superheroes are white males. We need diversity and we need different personalities," Lemire said.

"You need very distinct voices for personalities on the team or else you just start writing the same character in a different costume."

Multiple research trips north proved illuminating and rewarding for Lemire. He spent time in grade school classrooms, soaked up the local scene (including an abandoned NORAD base and trap-line visits) in Moosonee and Moose Factory and got feedback on his ideas from residents.

Moose Factory musician and comic fan Nathan Cheechoo, for instance, advised Lemire to “take away all that stereotypical imagery and get down to basic principles” in his depictions.

"I don't walk around with beads and fringe and feathers and a loincloth. And that was something I wanted to bring to Jeff," he said.

"We want our stories shared, and if this is another way to share it, then I think mission accomplished," added Cheechoo, who said his own children are now reading comic books, too.

This project tells them “we’re just as important as Superman, Clark Kent, Batman and all these people. That’s something I want [my kids] to share with friends.”

Real-life inspiration

To find the voice of his new heroine, Lemire drew from the many teens he met during his visits, including Miyapin Cheechoo, who said she is excited and proud of the new project.

"She's a fantastic artist, she's got a great personality and right away I kind of started channelling her,” Lemire said.

Whether Equinox becomes an enduring character in the DC universe remains to be seen, admitted Lemire, who also said he is cognizant of potential controversy as “a white guy from Toronto" trying to tell a native-inspired story.

However, he said, "If I end up going [north] a few times and teaching kids how to draw or about comics, and 10 years from now some kid from James Bay ends up writing or drawing [his or her] own comics, then none of that other stuff will matter because the project was worth it."

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Jeff Lemire is the last, best hope for DC. And I think he is legitimately only interested in telling stories the way he wants to tell them at this point, which is a bonus.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Its
    Keith wrote: »
    E1TT_CVR_COLOR_400_REV_C_533453c72f0b68.60452115.jpg?itok=4bPCkNRb
    Superstars Jeff Lemire (JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED, GREEN ARROW, ANIMAL MAN, SWEET TOOTH,THE NOBODY) and artist Terry Dodson (WONDER WOMAN) reinvent DC Comics' youngest heroes, with an all-new mythos in an all-new world!

Victor Stone, Tara Markov, Joey Wilson, and Gar Logan never felt like normal kids… but they had no idea how right they were. Their seemingly idyllic Oregon upbringing hides a secret—one that will bring killers, shamans, and extraterrestrials down on their heads, and force them into an alliance that could shake the planet to its foundations!

Okay, yeah, I'm down for Jeff Lemire & Terry Dodson Teen Titans

Dani Moonstar looks surprised to have been kicked out of the Marvel universe.

Its
    Keith wrote: »
    E1TT_CVR_COLOR_400_REV_C_533453c72f0b68.60452115.jpg?itok=4bPCkNRb
    Superstars Jeff Lemire (JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED, GREEN ARROW, ANIMAL MAN, SWEET TOOTH,THE NOBODY) and artist Terry Dodson (WONDER WOMAN) reinvent DC Comics' youngest heroes, with an all-new mythos in an all-new world!

Victor Stone, Tara Markov, Joey Wilson, and Gar Logan never felt like normal kids… but they had no idea how right they were. Their seemingly idyllic Oregon upbringing hides a secret—one that will bring killers, shamans, and extraterrestrials down on their heads, and force them into an alliance that could shake the planet to its foundations!

Okay, yeah, I'm down for Jeff Lemire & Terry Dodson Teen Titans

Dani Moonstar looks surprised to have been kicked out of the Marvel universe.

Dawnstar looks surprised to be in the present day.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Jeff Lemire is the last, best hope for DC.

I read the first issue of his Green Arrow run, and wow I really hope that isn't true.

Munch on
    Munch wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Jeff Lemire is the last, best hope for DC.

I read the first issue of his Green Arrow run, and wow I really hope that isn't true.

Yeah, to be fair, I dropped that as well after about 6 issues. When his run ends I'll revisit it to see if it ever gets better.

But he seems to be the only dude who gets to explore new ideas. Scott Snyder is the only other guy who could have similar freedoms, and most of his New 52 work has been underwhelming.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    It's a little thing, but I love that Equinox's real name is Miyaahbin Martin. Alliterative names are one of my favourite quaint little comic book traditions.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I saw Superman Unchained #7 is not only delayed to the end of the month now, but 8 and 9 are removed from the shipping schedule indefinitely. Makes me wonder how much stuff is going on behind the scenes that Lee can't focus on this, especially when he and Snyder kind of get free reign at the moment.

I feel like an idiot for buying that book in singles, but after the 3rd or 4th I had put enough money into it where I felt like I should finish it out.

edited April 2014
    For curiosity's sake I went back and looked at the sales for countdown. It started just over 90K, and averaged around 67K. For comparison, 52 ended at just over 100K (may 2007) and began at 140K (may 2006).

I wanted to get those numbers because I don't think weeklies will be as successful in the 2014 market, particularly when you're publishing three at once. Sales figures were down again in March, and the market seems to be contracting further still.

Edit: Further Comparisons: Brightest Day ended at around 70k, while JL: Generation Lost finished at 30K (April 2011).

HadjiQuest on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    52 was also better than every other series you mentioned.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    52 was also better than every other series you mentioned.

Yeah, but countdown was still a ridiculously strong selling title. But the market was also much stronger at the time. Here are the sales numbers from February of this year, with the March numbers coming sometime this week (and we've already been told the market was even worse). Only the top 6 titles were above 70K. Here's April 2008, when Countdown ended. 21 books were above 70K. I think Dan Didio expects to put out three weekly titles and have two of them sell consistently between 60 and 70K, and I'm not sure that's going to happen.

For shits and giggles, here's April 2011, the last month of Brightest Day and the era of the market that led to the rumors that DC would be shuttered as a publisher. Only 4 titles were above 70K, including Brightest Day. We're not far away from slinking back to that point, and I am curious to see if the people who are still buying titles will take to the new weeklies the same way they did in the previous years, because it's clear that Dan Didio sees them as a silver bullet for creating a high-selling title every week.

Wow, I didn't know how big of a drop it's been the past year in general for comics, and maybe it's being made up digitally, but it seems like everyone is kind of picking a few titles now and riding them out and creating a really big middle for books in that 30-40k range.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Oh what fresh hell is this:
    MKaNVKJ.jpg

From Future's End #0

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    lol

lol

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Fuck you DC.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Nominate thread title change to "[DC Comics] Proudly Resents..."

kyrcl.png
  • mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    Will Pfeifer and Kenneth Rocafort on Teen Titans relaunch. newsarama.com/20789-dc-s-teen-titans-returns-relaunches-in-july-with-new-roster.html

It can't be as bad as Lobdell's, right?

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
    Mego Thor wrote: »

no "Proudly Presents" is perfect

and the more they do shit like this, the more damning the implication that they're proud of it.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Pfiefer had excellent Aquaman and Catwoman runs but he also did Amazons Attack so it is basically a total crapshoot how that'll turn out

CYpGAPn.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Pfiefer had excellent Aquaman and Catwoman runs but he also did Amazons Attack so it is basically a total crapshoot how that'll turn out

Wasn't he heavily edited with AA? On his own he's a talented writer.

Yes but current DC editorial is the definition of "heavily edited" so

CYpGAPn.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

"A Series of Unfortunate Comics'

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    mrmr wrote: »
    Will Pfeifer and Kenneth Rocafort on Teen Titans relaunch. newsarama.com/20789-dc-s-teen-titans-returns-relaunches-in-july-with-new-roster.html

It can't be as bad as Lobdell's, right?

No, it can't be.

But "Relaunches with new roster" is misleading. It's the same roster, just minus three characters (Solstice, Superboy, and Kid Flash). At least Beast Boy is green again!

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Nrama: When we talked about Red Hood and the Outlaws, you mentioned wanting to bring "fun" to that title. Do you have the same goal for Teen Titans?

Pfeifer: Oh yeah. Even more so, in fact.

The fact that these characters are actual teens (and we’re going to be writing them like actual teens, too) opens up a whole world of possibilities.

I mentioned before how they’re going to screw things up from time to time, and though that has some serious implications, it’s also a way to put some genuine comedy into the book.

Plus, the Titans haven’t been heroes for too long, which means they’re not burned out or jaded by the (insane) pressures of the superheroic life. They’re actually having fun themselves – well, sometimes – and I want that to come across in the comic.

This sounds like what I want, but I'll believe it when I read it.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Honest question, is there a "fun" DC book right now?

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Where'd Superboy and Kid Flash get off to?

I actually liked Beast Boy being red, his powers being tied to the Red was a clever idea

CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Man DC Comics

what happened to you

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Honest question, is there a "fun" DC book right now?

Batman '66? Haven't read it yet (waiting for trade), but it looks fun.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Man DC Comics

what happened to you

It's drunk. Again.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

no "Proudly Presents" is perfect

and the more they do shit like this, the more damning the implication that they're proud of it.

At least I'm not the only one who reads this thread title in their head with more and more disdain each new day

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    So, let's say that DC decides the bulk of their line's being poorly received, critically and commercially. How do they fix it? Can they fix it?

Part of me thinks they should have just done a combination of Marvel NOW and One Year Later. Rather than do this dumb Five Years Later mini-series, showing a future that will never be, I'd have skipped a bunch of titles ahead five years, cancelled some, launched a few new ones, and restarted everything with a new #1.

If Marvel can cancel a book after a short run, and relaunch it immediately with a new #1, there's no reason DC couldn't do it, too.

And that five year gap would give them the space to totally reinvent characters that aren't working, while keeping the ones that are, more or less the same. It'd also put a bunch of characters in the age range they've traditionally occupied.

So, skip ahead, put solid creative teams behind everything, and reassure everyone that this time the reboot's going to work.

Or they could really just do a Marvel NOW style reboot, with new teams behind everything. The only reason I feel like it wouldn't work, is that the universe is still too new to suddenly do that kind of revamp, without a gimmick of some kind.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    So, let's say that DC decides the bulk of their line's being poorly received, critically and commercially. How do they fix it? Can they fix it?

Part of me thinks they should have just done a combination of Marvel NOW and One Year Later. Rather than do this dumb Five Years Later mini-series, showing a future that will never be, I'd have skipped a bunch of titles ahead five years, cancelled some, launched a few new ones, and restarted everything with a new #1.

If Marvel can cancel a book after a short run, and relaunch it immediately with a new #1, there's no reason DC couldn't do it, too.

And that five year gap would give them the space to totally reinvent characters that aren't working, while keeping the ones that are, more or less the same. It'd also put a bunch of characters in the age range they've traditionally occupied.

So, skip ahead, put solid creative teams behind everything, and reassure everyone that this time the reboot's going to work.

Or they could really just do a Marvel NOW style reboot, with new teams behind everything. The only reason I feel like it wouldn't work, is that the universe is still too new to suddenly do that kind of revamp, without a gimmick of some kind.

Sometimes I wonder if we are just seeing major dysfunction in Warner Bros. reflected through one lowly division. Like, the problem isn't DC comics. A lot of the same people were in charge when DC was pretty good. The problem is that the parent company has gone toxic.

At this point they're a drunk that just needs to hurry up and drink themselves to death, I can't enable them anymore.

They don't have the management/editorial insight for something like that, and they probably see the New 52 as a line in the sand in a way that would make them hesitant to relaunch more than a single title here and there.

I don't think things will change until Didio/Harras are gone (or promoted sideways to other departments), or the line is dramatically reduced (part of me doesn't believe they'd do this until WB's movie and tv plans are a little more comprehensively plotted out in order to exploit minor characters more efficiently). The launch of three weeklies is clearly based around a handful of premises that are honestly true in terms of sales, but sort of display the worst flashy elements of the industry: 1. Events always sell in the top 10, 2. Weeklies are events that come out every week and therefore drive extra profit, 3. Batman is miles more popular than any other character in comics, and has a large fanbase that likely read only his titles.

I don't think the weeklies will necessarily be bad, but I'm not sure they'll really be remarkable either. I'll be curious to see how the Batman weekly does, because I think those fans who buy only core batman titles are pretty casual comics people, and may not be as likely to pick up a weekly (of course I may be very wrong about that).

Of course, if the weeklies fail, I'm sure we can look forward to 12 independent, universe-shattering limited series events around this time next year, each featuring a panel by scott snyder and jim lee that tells an interlocking story with all the others!

Blankzilla wrote: »
    I actually liked Beast Boy being red, his powers being tied to the Red was a clever idea

Tying into the red is fine. Great, even. Link them with Vixen and other animal power characters

I didn't like the way he looked red, though. The green is his main visual distinction

• RansRans Registered User regular
    I agree with DC needing to do a bunch of Marvel NOW style relaunches to salvage most of their line. I don't think it needs a gimmick - if the books are as good as a lot of the Marvel NOW relaunches have been then I don't think anyone is going to care how we got there - they'll just be glad they're good again.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The first step would be to fire Bob Harras and Dan Didio. I think the toxic corporate culture is where all their other problems come from.

• RansRans Registered User regular
    I was trying to remember what the third weekly series is that DC is going to publish (Batman Eternal, the bad idea that is Future's End, and... ?), so I looked it up. Oh yeah, it's the companion weekly to Future's End that's set five years in the past (otherwise known as the present) that, I don't know, is supposed to make Future's End more relevant to people who recognize Future's End is just going to be a frustrating glorified elseworlds?

It's hilarious to me all over again.