As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Didn't they leave a thread where Barry being alive Post-Flashpoint is messing with the universe, and that "it's not how it's suppose to be", or am I mistaken?

sig.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Didn't they leave a thread where Barry being alive Post-Flashpoint is messing with the universe, and that "it's not how it's suppose to be", or am I mistaken?

The amount of story threads they've forgotten about could make you a whole wardrobe

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Honest question, is there a "fun" DC book right now?

Yes. Action Comics and Superman/Wonder WOman are both incredibly fun.

I wouldn't describe WW as "fun" but it continues to be one of my favorite books months after Months
    And with his WW run finishing Azzerrello seems to follow the the Bendis school of character sharing. He's putting all his pieces back in the box. The Amazons have been freed from their godly punishment and prepare to march on the First Born led by their newly minted God of War.

Quire.jpg
    Keith wrote: »

The amount of story threads they've forgotten about could make you a whole wardrobe
    I'm sure. I was just mentioning it as a jumping off point for the theoretical "Fixing DC" that could happen Post-Didio/Harras.

sig.gif
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Azzerrello, Lemire and Manapul flew the flag and good on them

But these days I've given up on DC. Whenever they make a press release it's like they are parodying themselves, that's how fucking stupid they've got.

Yeah, I'll leave them to wither thanks

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    David Goyer Says Warner Bros Has No Plans For Cohesive DC Universe

So, while Marvel has their movies planned out until 2028, Captain America has been breaking box office records. It's a rough time for DC Comics, which has had a spotted track record as far as superhero movies go. David Goyer, the writer behind Nolan's Batman series and Man of Steel, recently sat down with IGN to talk about the state of DC superhero movies, where he states that Warner Brothers doesn't have any plans to tie their heroes together into a coherent universe, as much as he'd love to.

So their movies will following right along with the comics!

kyrcl.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Calling David Goyer the "writer behind Nolan's Batman series" is a bit of a stretch.

He was one of several people to work on the script for Batman Begins. He was just lucky enough to be the one who had his name on the final draft (along with Christopher Nolan), and then he didn't write the scripts for either of the sequels but since they were sequels to one that did have his name on it, he got a story credit (but not a writing credit).

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    David Goyer Says Warner Bros Has No Plans For Cohesive DC Universe

So, while Marvel has their movies planned out until 2028, Captain America has been breaking box office records. It's a rough time for DC Comics, which has had a spotted track record as far as superhero movies go. David Goyer, the writer behind Nolan's Batman series and Man of Steel, recently sat down with IGN to talk about the state of DC superhero movies, where he states that Warner Brothers doesn't have any plans to tie their heroes together into a coherent universe, as much as he'd love to.

So their movies will following right along with the comics!

I'm imagining Captain America getting up and leaving the Fortress of Solitude, Superman remaining seated at their chessboard, the game unfinished.

After a moment, Superman sighs and knocks over his own king.

(I would have just linked a youtube of the end of the first X-Men, but I couldn't find a clip.)

Shadowen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    DC to launch All-New Suicide Squad.

You know, when I said I thought DC could mimic Marvel NOW, I didn't mean they should add "New" to their relaunched titles.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I try to give new writers the benefit of the doubt but the dude's most recent writing credit was a pretty bad Psylocke/Spider-Man story in A+X and the roster line-up sounds pretty dang bad. Why in the world would Deathstroke work with the Joker's Daughter?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Why would Joker's Daughter even be on the Suicide Squad to begin with? What skills does she have that the government would want to make use of?

Well it is no longer the government, the cover has Deathstroke, JD and Black Manta holding Waller, Harley and Deadshot in electro chains

CYpGAPn.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Well it is no longer the government, the cover has Deathstroke, JD and Black Manta holding Waller, Harley and Deadshot in electro chains

Ok how about this. Who even gives a fuck about the Jokers Daughter?

Don't answer that.

Quire.jpg
    Joker's Daughter #1 was #22 on the ICv2 sales chart for February.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    2d0yr7p.jpg

And now here's something we hope you'll really like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFwOS2R9o_8

kyrcl.png
  • ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Injecting Tear Gas with harmless bullets, now that's some forward thinking!

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    That's one badass damsel in distress, the way she shrugs off the tear gas.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    Zyrxil wrote: »

Being shot with bullets with definitely cause tears.

kyrcl.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Massive blood loss is more like it
    Mostly death though

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Massive blood loss is more like it
    Mostly death though

The important thing is that a lot of fluid leaves your body in a hurry.

H9f4bVe.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Grayson has pretty much the same premise as the last Winter Soldier solo book, but is co-written by Tim Seeley and an honest-to-god War on Terror-era CIA Agent. Also, Dick will be working for Spyral, and doesn't seem to be the blonde guy from the Batsgiving image (although honestly with DC at this point, I guess he still could've been).

It seems like they're letting some of the Batman Inc stuff back into the fold, which I'm beyond happy about.

HadjiQuest on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    yeah but..... guns? Bat -dad will be pissed!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Grayson sounds super dumb

CYpGAPn.png
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Grayson sounds super dumb

I'm actually fine with it outside of the guns. Once you add guns, it seems more like a Todd book.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Maybe he's going to be like Chuck and just use tranq guns all the time.

There's something interesting about making him young Nick Fury but still, this is DC. By issue six he'll put on the disco suit and crack out the devil sticks and lead the Teen Titans.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I'm fine with the concept but I have no doubts that Grayson will end up being mediocre and directionless

I just wonder what made DC think it was a good idea to launch another military/spy book.

Because a quick look at Checkmate, Grifter, Men of War, G.I. Combat, and Blackhawks would tell you how well that's worked out for them. Giving it a lame title probably won't help.

Also, maybe DC should just have one or two top-secret military organizations, rather than Spyral, SHADE, Checkmate, and Argus. You could probably throw Cadmus in there too, along with some more I'm forgetting.

That said, I like Tim Seeley's work, so best of luck to him.

The concept would be perfectly fine if it wasn't Dick Grayson

Like, he is an optimistic, happy dude who has a ton of friends and allies and is one of the most well-beloved members of the superhero community

Having him become NOTWinter Soldier is the dumbest

Doubly so since Jason Todd is RIGHT THERE. I mean shit, he is a Spyral badge away from filling the same exact role and he already uses guns.

CYpGAPn.png
    I think Dick got the worst shafting of the New 52. His first solo book was mediocre and had him going through all these dark moments, he's barely been in any other titles at all, and when he has it's always been as a plot device rather than as a living character (see Batman, Forever Evil, Batgirl), and now he's getting this change which I don't think sounds that bad conceptually but I'm sure editorial will drive it into the ground almost immediately.

Dude was Batman before this!

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I would be really interested in the book if it starred Jason Todd. It'd certainly be better than Outlaws

Munch wrote: »
    I just wonder what made DC think it was a good idea to launch another military/spy book.

Because a quick look at Checkmate, Grifter, Men of War, G.I. Combat, and Blackhawks would tell you how well that's worked out for them. Giving it a lame title probably won't help.

Wasn't there one that was like, "Squad 7" or something?

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Team 7, which was an excellent example. The original Team 7 book by Chuck Dixon was a pretty good sci-fi/military story (I believe that's the one that they had tapped for a movie adaption). The new one by Justin Jordan (who I really like), was a disappointing mess.

A good spy story/military story can work (look at Ennis' Fury, current Black Widow series or for DC's side Brubaker's Sleeper), current DC just doesn't seem to be the environment to produce such a story though.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    I might have mentioned it before, but I kind of think that DC is a death sentence for rising creators who land there before their profile explodes. Justin Jordan has only "written" extremely forgettable and basic 90's style cape comics since he got there and all the hype around him has vanished. A lot of guys have been regulated to generic titles and generic house-writing at DC, and then wound up at Marvel too late to make a real impact (Nate Edmondson, Fialkov to some degree, and now potentially Hayden Blackwell, with a couple others I know I'm forgetting). Part of me thinks it even goes back to Nick Spencer, who has had a ton of projects at Marvel, but the highest-profile ones have been tie-ins to other books. And then DC gets some access to guys that Marvel had trouble launching or sustaining, like Parker, Pak and Bunn.

Hell, there's almost a kind of talent crisis going on right now. The indie market has opened up so much that we have all these great (white, male) voices, and we can't even slot them all in ways to allow them to be successful. And DC is the worst offender, because it lands some of these guys and then seems to push them to work in a really bland house style. I worry now for Tim Seeley; all the other guys on the Bat-titles are pretty much interchangable aside from Scott Snyder.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I think Dick got the worst shafting of the New 52. His first solo book was mediocre and had him going through all these dark moments, he's barely been in any other titles at all, and when he has it's always been as a plot device rather than as a living character (see Batman, Forever Evil, Batgirl), and now he's getting this change which I don't think sounds that bad conceptually but I'm sure editorial will drive it into the ground almost immediately.

And it was so god damned awesome. He did a good job as a happier younger batman. but here's the thing. Didio? dido? spelling? Has wanted to off Grayson in every major event since he arrived. we are lucky to have this.

Does anyone know anything about this 9/11 CIA dude they have writing this? Has he written anything prior? Like Jason Bourne-y novels or some such?

Grayson should fill the 'spiderman' slot. Happier than bats out on his own cast of chars around him. Cracking wise. Not in gotham, NYC. Fighting crime as a regular dude in a world where people are Meta.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Bats is only anti-gun for Vigilantes, and only the ones that represent or work with him.

He doesn't berate Alfred for having a gun. He doesn't get mad at Jim Gordon for using a gun in police work. He's not going to be upset about a licensed secret agent having a firearm.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited April 2014

And it was so god damned awesome. He did a good job as a happier younger batman. but here's the thing. Didio? dido? spelling? Has wanted to off Grayson in every major event since he arrived. we are lucky to have this.

Does anyone know anything about this 9/11 CIA dude they have writing this? Has he written anything prior? Like Jason Bourne-y novels or some such?

Grayson should fill the 'spiderman' slot. Happier than bats out on his own cast of chars around him. Cracking wise. Not in gotham, NYC. Fighting crime as a regular dude in a world where people are Meta.
    His run in Bludhaven (Pre-Devin Grayson) was so great. Shame that it ended, what, 10 years ago?

Shit, I'm starting to sound like those old guys that long for the Silver Age. Well, before they gained control of DC. :p

Bats is only anti-gun for Vigilantes, and only the ones that represent or work with him.

He doesn't berate Alfred for having a gun. He doesn't get mad at Jim Gordon for using a gun in police work. He's not going to be upset about a licensed secret agent having a firearm.
    And according to Tim Drake, all of them know how to use guns (and are generally good shots), they just don't.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
    edited April 2014

It was tongue in cheek.

Grayson was a cop at some point carrying a gun daily. Lest we forget.

His run in Bludhaven (Pre-Devin Grayson) was so great. Shame that it ended, what, 10 years ago?

Shit, I'm starting to sound like those old guys that long for the Silver Age. Well, before they gained control of DC. :p

:D oh lord. What do we call that age? the after the 90s MAXXIMUM EXXTREME age? And get off my lawn.

mojojoeo on
    The Dark Age.

kyrcl.png
    Hell, there's almost a kind of talent crisis going on right now. The indie market has opened up so much that we have all these great (white, male) voices, and we can't even slot them all in ways to allow them to be successful. And DC is the worst offender, because it lands some of these guys and then seems to push them to work in a really bland house style. I worry now for Tim Seeley; all the other guys on the Bat-titles are pretty much interchangable aside from Scott Snyder.

I think a big part of that, is how totally shit DC's artistic stable is.

Put Who Is Jake Ellis and Grifter next to each other. Same writer, same basic genre, but without Tonci Zonjic's stylish, moody art, Nathan Edmondson's work isn't nearly as strong. It's not even that Cafu is a bad artist, his work just didn't sell the tone.

Ditto for John Layman. The dude's coming off a popular indie crime comic, that's really notable for its expressive art and humor, and DC decides to stick him with David Finch Jr, on the Batman book nobody cares about?

It doesn't help that DC gets a lot of the worst/unskilled colorists, because it denies cover credits and royalties to colorists.