As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Do people really pay 300g for Arcanite Bars ?

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

Having not done PVP in a long time now, I have to wonder: Does it still make more sense to completely ignore map mechanics to earn more honor if you queue individually? (Depending on the match, it used to make more sense in as an individual participant to roam the middle of maps rather than defend capture points that never got hit by the opponent.)

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    There's pretty much zero reason for someone who has normal/flex raid gear or even full upgraded timeless to ever set foot in SoO LFR. If you need valor, heroic dungeons or scenarios nets you valor faster, and you can cap out by only doing one of each a day. If someone's half decent it should be pretty easy for them to find a flex group and start replacing their timeless gear.

The net effect of this is that the people who in theory could drop in and have a positive effect on LFR have no incentive to do so, and LFR turns into the giant clusterfuck that it usually is.

Not entirely true. Some of the trinkets in SoO are incredibly powerful and even the LFR version would be a massive upgrade over ToT or TI trinkets. Bindings of Immersius, I'm looking at you.

Yeah, our Warlock was rocking almost full-on Heroic gear and an LFR Bindings for a good while, simply because BoI was best in slot regardless of ilvl. Eventually (many, many, many weeks later) he got Heroic Bindings.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    Well after about 4 years of farming Sethekk Halls on and off I finally got the raven lord mount tonight. Here's to never having to step foot in that instance again!

Thank you for reading, now back to your regular scheduled conversation.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Guys you won't believe this, I went into Sethekk Halls today for the first time since TBC and totally got the Raven Lord mount.

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    I'm comforted by the fact that my reaction to your post is appropriate whether it's true or not.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Okay, so real talk.

My main is just about fully geared up via Timeless Isle. Like the Burden of Eternity upgraded armor pieces, plus the Valor upgrades on those. Just missing an upgraded amulet and the 50k coin cost trinket. The only thing I'm really interested in doing is the Legendary Cloak thing. Just on this one character. I know, WoD is close, but whatevs.

I've had the quest sitting in my log to get 10 of two different kinds of sigil things from the first few MoP raids. And I haven't done it because I am petrified to queue into a LFR just to get this shit done. I haven't done any of the MoP raids (I haven't raided since WotLK) and don't know what to expect. And I'm afraid of learning the hard way (like dying during a boss fight). I dunno what my goddamn problem is.

My guild is currently recovering from a sort of community fallout so we're very short-listed on members. Enough to do the 10 man raids, but there's no scheduling setup possible to allow us all to gather up at this point.

tl;dr shit sucks I should just wait for WoD anyway.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Just q. What's the worst that could happen, your computer explodes?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Okay, so real talk.

My main is just about fully geared up via Timeless Isle. Like the Burden of Eternity upgraded armor pieces, plus the Valor upgrades on those. Just missing an upgraded amulet and the 50k coin cost trinket. The only thing I'm really interested in doing is the Legendary Cloak thing. Just on this one character. I know, WoD is close, but whatevs.

I've had the quest sitting in my log to get 10 of two different kinds of sigil things from the first few MoP raids. And I haven't done it because I am petrified to queue into a LFR just to get this shit done. I haven't done any of the MoP raids (I haven't raided since WotLK) and don't know what to expect. And I'm afraid of learning the hard way (like dying during a boss fight). I dunno what my goddamn problem is.

My guild is currently recovering from a sort of community fallout so we're very short-listed on members. Enough to do the 10 man raids, but there's no scheduling setup possible to allow us all to gather up at this point.

The first few LFRs aren't that bad if you are just dpsing, general rule of thumb is "don't stand in shit." and stand near the other dps.

The sigils actually drop from every raid I think (at least, MSV, HoF, Terrace, and front half of ToT and SoO)...you could potentially get them all in one week with a little luck if you manage to get into all of them. Sha of Fear and Lei Shen are guaranteed drops IIRC.

The really ugly part, depending on faction, is the PVP part later on.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Okay, so real talk.

Eh, there's gonna be enough well geared people doing it that you'll get carried through the place. Just get in there and try to learn from your deaths.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    vaults and terrace you basically just faceroll through at this point, I would feel relatively safe queuing for either of those

heart of fear still has some mechanical stuff that will mess up LFR and as of a couple months ago when I did the cloak chain on my druid was still kind of painful most of the time

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You could also realID people here and queue with them and let them tell you what to do over vent.

• Options
    You could also realID people here and queue with them and let them tell you what to do over vent.

But then I'll forget I'm RealID'd with people and then I'll log onto my ERP alts and all hell breaks loose.

• Options

But then I'll forget I'm RealID'd with people and then I'll log onto my ERP alts and all hell breaks loose.

I solved that problem by making all my alts ERP alts.

• Options
    I'm showing guildies how to do the Ready for Raiding III achievement, since the blades one is hard as fuck. It's sorta easy if you know the right place to hang around.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    As a druid who was playing when the expansion launched, I lucked out and got that achievement by abusing the bug where druids in bird form didn't count as being mounted and they could hover above the blades/fire and the timer would tick down.

Also they should make it so when you're a druid with the highest level of flight form bought all of your mounts are instant cast in areas where you can use flight form so druids are more inclined to use mounts other than bird form.

• Options
    Or they could just give flight form a cast time.

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    All you need to know about Siege of Orgrimmar LFR before you zone in:

http://wow.joystiq.com/tag/bosses-in-5-seconds/

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Or they could just give flight form a cast time.

Or you could roll a druid if you wanted an instant flight mount.

And druids who complain about other mounts not being instant are silly :P

Bigity on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Had a dumbass group that didn't know to not heal the target of Dalliah the Doomsayer's curse in Arcatraz, so we wound up wiping, and everybody by myself (a shitty 69 DPS monk) and the Tank (another 70 monk) were left. I arrived back at the boss to see him (her?) having already gotten Dalliah down to 17% by himself, so showed up to help and we wound up duoing the rest of the instance, including the final boss, thanks to the half-assed healing we both could do (lots of Chi wave's being tossed around). Sadly, Milhouse Manastorm didn't make it. He died so that we didn't have to requeue and we salute him for it.

Was pretty crazy.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    There's still more info coming out.

Shadow Blades is confirmed as cut.
    Tricks of the Trade is having its damage increase portion removed and being made free to use.
    Preparation is under attempted change to make it a passive. No details.
    Killing Spree, Adrenaline Rush, Vendetta, and Shadow Dance are still in.

Seduction (Succubus) is remaining, but a nerfed version. Not clear on how.

Healing Paladins are having some of their cooldowns merged. No details.

Counter Shot remains for hunters.
    Silencing Shot is gone.
    Wyvern Sting is still in as an option.
    Scatter Shot is gone.

Death Knights are having weapon forging tweaked but not overhauled. No details.

Warbringer stun will be off DR. I think the stun is being reduced though?

Flavor spells for classes aren't being targeted as removals, as their need to be on buttons is less mandatory.

Weapon Chains won't be relevant anymore due to the change of disarm effects being removed.

Actually what I got from the Shadow Blades part is that they are getting rid of the ability by rolling it into the abilities everybody always uses it with. So for instance Shadow Blades and Vendetta will be combined into one ability for Assassination Rogues.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Nah shadow blades is cut. It's adrenaline rush and killing spree that are being rolled together. Don't ask me how that's going to work

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Nah shadow blades is cut. It's adrenaline rush and killing spree that are being rolled together. Don't ask me how that's going to work

What?

How do you roll together two skills that are fairly contradictory?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular

I wonder if that is a hint, that they'll do a slight re-work of enhancement, to not only have less buttons, but to also make more of the abilities feel significant.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »

I wonder if that is a hint, that they'll do a slight re-work of enhancement, to not only have less buttons, but to also make more of the abilities feel significant.

We're gonna lose searing totem I bet. I won't miss it necessarily. Playing with totems became lame when they took most of them away.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Nobody wrote: »

Having not done PVP in a long time now, I have to wonder: Does it still make more sense to completely ignore map mechanics to earn more honor if you queue individually? (Depending on the match, it used to make more sense in as an individual participant to roam the middle of maps rather than defend capture points that never got hit by the opponent.)

I think it's more in sorting out the disparity in honor gain in say, AV and to a lesser extent IoC, compared to all the others, something that really should have been sorted out a while ago.

Anyway, with regards to your question, the quickest way to get honor is to

a) Kill the elites in Krassang Wilds
    b) Run heroics (get or be a tank/ healer) and convert JP to honor
    c) Do the dailies near Venture bay
    d) Try win TB and WG at least once
    e) Do the (sorry got this wrong first time) Isle of Thunder pvp quests.

As you'll note, none of the above involves going into an actual BG.

Going around and ignoring map mechanics? They extended the range at which you'll receive honor. For example in AB, I'm pretty sure you gain credit for stuff nearly everywhere on the map, if you stand at the BS flag.

There might be a bit of disparity that is sadly in favour of the idiots not doing the objectives but it isn't much in the grand scheme of things when you have to grind out 27k (I don't know the exact number) worth of honor. I'd rather try do the objective and win with a little less honor, than fight somewhere pointless with the crowd and more likely lose.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    There might be a bit of disparity that is sadly in favour of the idiots not doing the objectives but it isn't much in the grand scheme of things when you have to grind out 27k (I don't know the exact number) worth of honor. I'd rather try do the objective and win with a little less honor, than fight somewhere pointless with the crowd and more likely lose.

This kind of gets to what I was wondering about Bliz's honor update. For the longest time they did not emphasize objectives over random stupidity. Hence why I am sometimes skeptical if their adjustments actually target better play or slamming your head against a wall until the match ends.

In the grand scheme it likely does not matter. Some folks have no interest in objectives anyway. But I did enough PVP back in the day to have strong opinions on how Bliz could improve things. Since returning to WoW, I think a big reason for my avoidance of battlegrounds is the fear that little has changed from the mindless waves of crowd-vs-crowd of the past*.

(By the way, thanks for the informative breakdown!)

* - Mind you, crowd-vs-crowd was fantastic in the right context, like the previous incarnations of AV or in Tarren Mill/Southshore of the past. Just not in AB or EOTS.

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Well, *that* was a stupid amount of loot karma used in LFR last night.

Took my paladin in, who was 2/5 of the set (pants from Celestials and normal LFR gloves). Got a shoulder token from Blackfuse, got a universal token from Garrosh (used for chest), and a helm token from Thok.

D:

I think this is the first time I've completed a tier set in... like, forever. Even my priest, who's my main, hasn't gotten the chest yet.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    With the upcoming stat squish and Blizzard's promise that we'll still be able to solo everything we can today (though I'm still not convinced they'll succeed at that), I decided to see exactly what I could solo over this past weekend so I'd have a point of reference.

So I took on all the WotLK raids (10-man normal mode) as a Combat Rogue geared in Timeless Isle items, ToT/SoO LFR gear, and some Leatherworking epics with no legendary cloak.
    Vault of Archavon: Easily solo the entire thing. I'd never even fought the ice one before and had no idea what he could do, I just went in and beat him to death anyways.

Naxxramas: Easily solo the entire thing. Including most (all?) of the achievements.

Eye of Eternity: You need to know what you are doing during the final phase, and it takes forever, but other than that it's easy to solo (side note: He actually dropped the Azure Drake! Hooray!).

Onyxia's Lair: Easy solo.

Obsidian Sanctum: Okay, I forgot about this one, probably because I already have the mount from it. I did duo it like a year or two ago, so I assume soloing should be possible if your dps is high enough. One of the drakes is impossible to solo since you can't go into the portal without despawning the boss. However, that doesn't matter since they don't have loot so just go kill Sartharion with all drakes up. If your DPS is high enough, you can kill him before he calls the second drake (at which point you lose) and then Vanish to lose the drakes so you can loot your mount off of Sartharion.

Ulduar: The first four bosses are easy (I used a Demolisher on the Flame Leviathan). Assembly of Iron was easy but I did the simplest route of Steelbreaker>Molgeim>Brundir. Killing Molgeim last (for the Algalon disc) should be rather simple too, but saving Steelbreaker for last may be a little rough for a rogue.
    For Kologarn I just beat him to death while ignoring his arms. Same with Auriaya and ignoring her guardians. For Freya I killed all the Elders first and she was simple but took forever. Hodir was easy (even his "hard mode"), but Thorim was impossible (I later read online you can exploit the encounter with some speed boosts and split second timing, but messing up the timing results in instant death). Mimiron's first three phases were simple, but his final phase was annoying to the point I gave up since I couldn't get past Thorim anyways (it should be doable though).

Trial of the Crusader: Easily solo'd the entire thing. I thought Faction Champions might be troublesome, but they all have less health than regular Pandaria mobs and die quickly.

Icecrown Citadel: Easily solo'd until I reached Valithria at which point it was impossible to progress as a rogue, so I couldn't fight Sindragosa or the Lich King.

Ruby Sanctum: I'd never been here before and just kind of winged it. Easily solo'd the whole thing without dying (though my health got pretty low on the first boss, the guy guarding the quest giver). I'm not entirely clear on the final boss's mechanics, but when he faded enough I would just click on a portal and keep hitting him and eventually he died.

I'm definitely going to try and add Vault of Archavon (Grand Black War Mammoth), Onyxia's Lair (Onyxian Drake), and Eye of Eternity (Blue Drake) to my mount farming rotation now that I know I can easily do all of them.

tl;dr: A rogue can solo every WotLK raid boss except for Thorim in Ulduar (and thus the bosses that require him to be defeated) and Valithria in ICC (and thus the bosses after her). Though apparently there is a highly risky method of beating the former, and other classes could probably handle the latter.

I may try and bump it up to 25-man and/or Heroic for some of them the next time I have enough free time to see how that goes.

Is the raid group requirement gone for Cataclysm raids too, or did that just go up to WotLK? Though I imagine pretty much any boss from Cata raids will kill a rogue easily.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Depending on one's classes threshold for AoE (number of targets needed, to over take single target DPS). It might be quicker to kill Kologarn with AoE, since the main body looses HP equal to the arms, when ever they are destroyed. I know the spawns from the adds can leave a debuff, but I'm pretty sure most classes have AoE's that will wipe them out fairly quickly.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

This kind of gets to what I was wondering about Bliz's honor update. For the longest time they did not emphasize objectives over random stupidity. Hence why I am sometimes skeptical if their adjustments actually target better play or slamming your head against a wall until the match ends.

In the grand scheme it likely does not matter. Some folks have no interest in objectives anyway. But I did enough PVP back in the day to have strong opinions on how Bliz could improve things. Since returning to WoW, I think a big reason for my avoidance of battlegrounds is the fear that little has changed from the mindless waves of crowd-vs-crowd of the past*.

(By the way, thanks for the informative breakdown!)

* - Mind you, crowd-vs-crowd was fantastic in the right context, like the previous incarnations of AV or in Tarren Mill/Southshore of the past. Just not in AB or EOTS.

The disparity is not as big as it was. I generally try to do the objectives, and discounting the bonus some people get for it being the first win of the day, outside of IoC or AV (these two being massive BG's), we're talking +/- 10 points.

That isn't to say there aren't issues in PvP atm, but once gear, I've manage to have a reasonable time, although I do find it is best to try go in with someone else you can at least laugh with.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Does the Timeless Isle drop rate change based on your ilvl or something?

Came back to WoW about two weeks, got my Warrior to 90, went to TI, started rolling in loot....now I don't get any drops, not even for other classes. If I'm lucky I might get one token a day. I was sometimes getting two off of one boss when I first got there.

I still need gloves, a ring and a neck. I know the rings and neck are super rare, so I'm saving VP for those...but I sure would love a glove token (that I would use an Endless on since I have five of them just sitting here).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I ask this every now and then but is there an active PA guild on any EU servers? I have high level characters on Silvermoon and Saurfang but I'm always willing to start new characters.

• Options
    TPSou wrote: »
    I ask this every now and then but is there an active PA guild on any EU servers? I have high level characters on Silvermoon and Saurfang but I'm always willing to start new characters.

No need to start new characters. You can guild, group and raid with characters from other servers now. They may have to be in your Battle Group (or whatever it's called)...but my roommate is in a guild that isn't based on our home server, so it's definitely possible.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    That only works for connected realms, not battlegroup. There's not very many of them right now, but they're connecting more all the time.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Whee, massive guild drama.

I'm too old for this shit.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I think everyone is too old for guild drama. Shit is seriously fucking stupid.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Guild drama is one of the primary reasons I jumped off the progression raiding train in the middle of Cata. I'm actually really glad LFR exists now. I can stay in my little friends-only guild and still see the new raid content in a less stressful setting. It's nice.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Whee, massive guild drama.

I'm too old for this shit.
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I think everyone is too old for guild drama. Shit is seriously fucking stupid.
    It's never fun. I had my fair share of guild drama in a previous guild. I was an officer, which made it even worse since I was right in the middle of it all. I had realized that I wasn't really enjoying raiding with this guild anymore, so I decided to leave. The GM blew up at me. They lost their shit. I was in vent and they were yelling at me and all kinds of garbage and I was just like "Yeah, haha, no. I'm done. Seeya." I had offered to stay and finish out the raid week with them (since I was a tank and all, and those aren't easy to come by) but after that I lost all interest.

It was really strange since the GM never blew up at anyone who left previously. But me, for some reason, I got the brunt of it all. I got a ton of mud slung my way by the GM and other people in the guild for really no reason. I was one of three officers, and a tank, so maybe that was partly why? The weirdest part was that I left a post on their forum explaining it all, and they posted back and it all seemed fine. Then I log in the next day and, well, yeah. And prior to that we had two really toxic raid members cause a scene and blow up and leave, and then later we had our other tank blow up and cause a scene and leave... So the one time someone decides to leave and NOT cause a scene and blow up... Man, I dunno.

Fortunately the guild I'm in now is super chill and our GM has a zero tolerance policy on drama bullshit. We... really haven't had any drama since I've joined up with them. Been pretty cool so far.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Yeah, guild drama is the pits. My friend and I run our own guild now, so we can avoid all that craziness.

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Does the Timeless Isle drop rate change based on your ilvl or something?

Came back to WoW about two weeks, got my Warrior to 90, went to TI, started rolling in loot....now I don't get any drops, not even for other classes. If I'm lucky I might get one token a day. I was sometimes getting two off of one boss when I first got there.

I still need gloves, a ring and a neck. I know the rings and neck are super rare, so I'm saving VP for those...but I sure would love a glove token (that I would use an Endless on since I have five of them just sitting here).
    I think rares drop an extra token the first time you kill them, or something along those lines.

This discussion has been closed.