Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Bitcoiners can't keep us down! 1440p or bust!

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Quical wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of building the Digital foundry PC. except replacing the 760 graphics card with the 750TI and the 500gb harddrive with a 1TB one (plan on doing some video stuff in the future so the extra space would be good).

I suppose my question is, will the 750TI fit in with the rest of the stuff? Is there a better card for the same money (I like the energy-saving stuff it does is the reason i want it more, plus it's £50 less)?
    And finally, how do i put windows ON TO the thing without a disc drive? I currently only have a chrome book.

The 760 is the best performer, but if you want $50 less I'd get an R7 265 probably. Unless you want the power saving over performance than yeah, the 750ti.

If you can the windows iso onto a thumb drive somehow you can install it off that. Otherwise i'd get a optical drive, even just an usb external one.

Yes, yes i guess i'll get an optical drive. Then if i ever need to install things from disc it'll be less of a hassle. Good point. Only an extra £13. Thanks for your help!

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    I'm still in the process of building my PC only really need a motherboard and graphics card now. Do computer parts tend to take part in the black friday/cyber Monday sales madness? Specifically I would like to get the asus GTX 970 somewhere below it's $400 CDN price it seems to have settled at. I depressing look at exchange rates shows that is actually more reasonable then I thought compared to the US prices but I wouldn't mind getting it cheaper.

Also, I don't think I would ever go the SLI route but... I want the option to be there. I've already got a processor that I can't overclock so I'm wondering if there is any compelling reason to get a Z97 board over a H97.

Oh and I guess I'm missing a power supply to. Anyone have any favorites in the 500W range? I guess that would limit my future SLI options as well but I think it would be unreasonable to go any higher with my current build.

What's your your parts list already look like, and what's your remaining budget?

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Dritz wrote: »
    I'm still in the process of building my PC only really need a motherboard and graphics card now. Do computer parts tend to take part in the black friday/cyber Monday sales madness? Specifically I would like to get the asus GTX 970 somewhere below it's $400 CDN price it seems to have settled at. I depressing look at exchange rates shows that is actually more reasonable then I thought compared to the US prices but I wouldn't mind getting it cheaper.

Also, I don't think I would ever go the SLI route but... I want the option to be there. I've already got a processor that I can't overclock so I'm wondering if there is any compelling reason to get a Z97 board over a H97.

Oh and I guess I'm missing a power supply to. Anyone have any favorites in the 500W range? I guess that would limit my future SLI options as well but I think it would be unreasonable to go any higher with my current build.

What's your your parts list already look like, and what's your remaining budget?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $206.83)
    Motherboard: *ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($85.19 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $94.48)
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($418.63 @ DirectCanada)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $89.99)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.39 @ TigerDirect Canada)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $99.99)
    Total: $1077.50

Was thinking around $1,200. Lower is of course better.

As for sales I guess I do see them and have seen posts here about them but it seems a lot less agressive in Canada and I'm not sure something newer like the 970 would go any lower in the coming weeks.

That particular corsair power supply has certainly been on my radar for quite awhile. The price on it for there is a little high now and I see it for about $65 pretty frequently.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Haven't done a low budget build in forever. Can you guys look this over and tell me if I'm missing anything? Point of this pc is for a friend's kid so he can play WoW.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Banzai5150/saved/ngLbt6

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Haven't done a low budget build in forever. Can you guys look this over and tell me if I'm missing anything? Point of this pc is for a friend's kid so he can play WoW.

Power supply!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hi thread! Do you guys reckon a 760 would be a worthy upgrade from a HD6950? I've had the HD for something like three years (I think?) and forget how much I paid for it - really liked the card, especially since I was able to flash it to a HD6970 without any problems, but I think it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

Folks here seem really positive about the 760, which is cool. I'm going to try to bring myself up to speed as far as current GPUs go; always feels like a bit of a mission getting familiar with new model numbers and all that.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    You can SLI 760s for crazy good performance with little issues from what I heard

Best GPU for your money right now is the GTX 970. For ~$300 it outperformed some of the Radeon cards (290 and 290x) in terms of price per performance by such a wide margin it caused Radeon's card prices to crash and burn. I highly, highly recommend getting one if you can float the extra $100 or so over a GTX 760

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Maybe you guys could help me? I've been looking everywhere for a mid-tower ATX with 9 5.25" drive bays. It seems like they made a bunch of models like this a couple of years ago, and then took them off the market. I just need a simple case, I don't need the ability to hold 5 radiators and 20 fans, and 40 R9 295s. I need a simple, inexpensive case. The primary feature is 9 5.25 drive bays.

I'm looking at upgrading my NAS. If I gotta spend the money on a Lian Li case, so be it; I would prefer this thing to cost me $60-$75.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I don't have any help for you, but why do you need 9 5.25" bays?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Delmain wrote: »

Yeah, you said it's for a NAS, do you mean 3.5in bays?

EDIT: If so, this guy has 8 3.5" bays, and three 5.25" bays you could convert, all for $40.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

EDIT: If so, this guy has 8 3.5" bays, and three 5.25" bays you could convert, all for $40.

Yeah, 9 5.25 bays. I'm going to use 2 x ICY DOCK FatCage 5x3.5" in 3x5.25" Hot Swap SATA HDD Cage (or similar), and 2 x ICY DOCK ToughArmor 4 x 2.5" in 1 x 5.25" Hot Swap SATA HDD Cage (or similar). That puts me at 8 bays, plus I would like to have one extra for future expansion of the 2.5" drives.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Power supply!

Doh!

Fixed that and added in an OS... Trying to keep it under $500 if possible but give it an option to actually play other games if he gets into them.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Yeah, 9 5.25 bays. I'm going to use 2 x ICY DOCK FatCage 5x3.5" in 3x5.25" Hot Swap SATA HDD Cage (or similar), and 2 x ICY DOCK ToughArmor 4 x 2.5" in 1 x 5.25" Hot Swap SATA HDD Cage (or similar). That puts me at 8 bays, plus I would like to have one extra for future expansion of the 2.5" drives.

Do you already have those HDD cages?

If you don't, I would say you're probably better off buying a purpose-built NAS case. Or even an all-in-one case/controller like Synology makes.

Otherwise, it doesn't look like there's much out there.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Maybe you guys could help me? I've been looking everywhere for a mid-tower ATX with 9 5.25" drive bays. It seems like they made a bunch of models like this a couple of years ago, and then took them off the market. I just need a simple case, I don't need the ability to hold 5 radiators and 20 fans, and 40 R9 295s. I need a simple, inexpensive case. The primary feature is 9 5.25 drive bays.

I'm looking at upgrading my NAS. If I gotta spend the money on a Lian Li case, so be it; I would prefer this thing to cost me $60-$75.

Using the Canadian PCPartpicker site, the only thing that appears is this Lian Li PC-P50. Everything else seems to be out of stock on both the CDN and US PCPartpicker sites.

On another note, what are my odds of finding a Core i5 4690k on a decent sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Like $200? I'm assuming probably pretty low.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    You can SLI 760s for crazy good performance with little issues from what I heard

Best GPU for your money right now is the GTX 970. For ~$300 it outperformed some of the Radeon cards (290 and 290x) in terms of price per performance by such a wide margin it caused Radeon's card prices to crash and burn. I highly, highly recommend getting one if you can float the extra $100 or so over a GTX 760

SLI is out, as my mobo doesn't support it. Will look into the 760 vs 970 - sounds like the extra cost might be worth it; thanks!

• Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular

Using the Canadian PCPartpicker site, the only thing that appears is this Lian Li PC-P50. Everything else seems to be out of stock on both the CDN and US PCPartpicker sites.

On another note, what are my odds of finding a Core i5 4690k on a decent sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Like $200? I'm assuming probably pretty low.

Do you live near a MicroCenter? You could find one for under $200 in store I'm sure. They are advertising the i7 4790K at $250 in store currently.

• Options
    edited November 2014

If you don't, I would say you're probably better off buying a purpose-built NAS case. Or even an all-in-one case/controller like Synology makes.

Not yet, I'm still in the planning stages right now. Anything Synology or QNAP makes in this range is way way more expensive. A 10-Bay NAS from QNAP is something like $2400 without drives. I get more for less if I do it myself. I was just hoping there wasn't something I missed.

Looks like Lian-Li may be my only option. I just wish it wouldn't cost me $300. Thanks guys.

Soggybiscuit on
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Do you live near a MicroCenter? You could find one for under $200 in store I'm sure. They are advertising the i7 4790K at $250 in store currently.

Crap. Stupid geography. I'm in Canada where there do not appear to be any Micro Centers, unfortunately. The going price on a 4690k in Canada is C$249.99 or more here which is about US$220. Black Friday is a relatively new phenomenon here so I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm just hoping that if it goes on sale in the US, it will also go on sale here.

EDIT: That's a pretty awesome price on the 4790k. It's still C$358 (approx. US$316) here

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular

SLI is out, as my mobo doesn't support it. Will look into the 760 vs 970 - sounds like the extra cost might be worth it; thanks!

Don't get the reference card. The STRIX is literally always sold out and for good reason. The thing is nearly dead quiet and barely consumes power and still can be overclocked. And it's roughly 100% better than the 760 for some games.

67884.png

Yeah, might want one.

• Options
    That's using the EVGA card, but most of them are comparable.

I do like my 290 at $200. I reallllly want to mod it so it's not so loud though.

• Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular

Crap. Stupid geography. I'm in Canada where there do not appear to be any Micro Centers, unfortunately. The going price on a 4690k in Canada is C$249.99 or more here which is about US$220. Black Friday is a relatively new phenomenon here so I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm just hoping that if it goes on sale in the US, it will also go on sale here.

EDIT: That's a pretty awesome price on the 4790k. It's still C$358 (approx. US$316) here

Bummer. Yeah I'm not anywhere near a Micro Center either. Closest one is about 500 miles away. I would imagine that if you have 4690Ks going for $250 up there then I don't see why you couldn't find one for close to $200 between now and the end of the month. Just keep a sharp eye on the look out. Do you guys have anything similar to Slick Deals for Canada?

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Thanks ZV, much appreciated. I sort of forgot that I also have to pick a brand on top of picking a model. Now to spend a day or two convincing myself to dish out the cash for it. I will say that graph is pretty dang convincing.

* Is this the one you're talking about? Free copy of Far Cry 4, which I was going to buy anyway, makes it real tempting.

firewaterword on
  • Options

Bummer. Yeah I'm not anywhere near a Micro Center either. Closest one is about 500 miles away. I would imagine that if you have 4690Ks going for $250 up there then I don't see why you couldn't find one for close to $200 between now and the end of the month. Just keep a sharp eye on the look out. Do you guys have anything similar to Slick Deals for Canada?

Yeah I we have RedFlagDeals up here. I've signed up for that and Slickdeals just in case it has any Canadian content. I'm checking CDN PC Part Picker daily so I'm pretty well covered, I think. I'm just torn because I probably can't afford a new CPU (because it will require a new Mobo and RAM) but if a good deal comes along, it might be too hard to resist.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Not yet, I'm still in the planning stages right now. Anything Synology or QNAP makes in this range is way way more expensive. A 10-Bay NAS from QNAP is something like $2400 without drives. I get more for less if I do it myself. I was just hoping there wasn't something I missed.

Looks like Lian-Li may be my only option. I just wish it wouldn't cost me $300. Thanks guys.

@Soggybiscuit‌ not sure of your motherboard setup but:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/826-silverstone-ds380-nas/

Also, 10 3.5" drives AND 8 2.5" drives? How much storage do you need?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks ZV, much appreciated. I sort of forgot that I also have to pick a brand on top of picking a model. Now to spend a day or two convincing myself to dish out the cash for it. I will say that graph is pretty dang convincing.

* Is this the one you're talking about? Free copy of Far Cry 4, which I was going to buy anyway, makes it real tempting.

Yes.

BTW it runs so fucking cool I hate it so much

I might seriously consider selling my 290 for a loss just to get one.

• Options
    Also you can sell the code to someone for like $40

Further reducing the price of the card

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    The STRIX is pretty boss, the video card went from being the loudest thing in my case to one of the quietest and it plays everything I throw at it without braking a sweat. I don't think I've seen it get above 63c and it's typically around 58ish (the fans don't start spinning till 60c).

This reminds me I need to follow up with Amazon on that free game dealie, I was supposed to get an email from some department but nothing yet...

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    The STRIX is pretty boss, the video card went from being the loudest thing in my case to one of the quietest and it plays everything I throw at it without braking a sweat. I don't think I've seen it get above 63c and it's typically around 58ish (the fans don't start spinning till 60c).

This reminds me I need to follow up with Amazon on that free game dealie, I was supposed to get an email from some department but nothing yet...

Did you buy your card right before the promotion started too?

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

Yeah I 'ordered' on 10/8 or so and it was in my hands on 10/29. The annoying thing is that I paid for overnight shipping because I didn't want it delivered on 10/31 which is when I would have received it if I just used my normal Amazon Prime shipping, but if I wasn't a prime member it would have arrived sometime the first week of November and then they almost certainly would have given me a code.

• Options
    My 290 can get up to 80C and sounds like a fucking jet engine

Needless to say I want to mod it

• Options
    Yeah, my 570 sounded like a blow drier. Quiet is so much nicer, hahaha.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    So I badly need a new pc, and I'm trying to build my own again. A big part of the reason for the purchase is just the need for a desktop pc in general since my ipad and shitty netbook don't cut it, but I figure 90% of my actual time spent on it will be gaming as a sideproduct of finally having a newer computer.

Does anyone have any thoughts or concerns about going the route of the Lifehacker $600 budget build?

I certainly read plenty of arguments to go with an intel i3 instead, but the difference seems neglible enough, especially if more and more games will start using multi-threading. Moreover, it probably won't make a huge difference and may just cost more money, since other than Elite:Dangerous, there's not really any particularly new games that I'd want to play on it.

What I'm struggling with most is whether to keep the cheaper hard-drive, or replace it with an SSD. I'd probably be willing to drop an extra $40 to get a 256 gb SSD, but I have no concept for how much storage is required these days for an OS, or games in general. I likely wouldn't keep any media on my computer other than ~15 gigs of music and a small selection of pictures.

@Septus‌ that build doesn't have an OS, keyboard, mouse, or monitor so keep that in mind. Personally I would only get the fx-6300 (or fx-8320 which is probably what I would recommend for amd) if you were planning on overclocking (which means you'd also need an aftermarket cpu cooler like the 212 evo or the noctua dh-14). If you do overclock I think either of those chips would do very well, but without the overclocking I think the per core speeds lag too far behind intel and the new architecture they are pushing hasn't been developed enough to really see huge benefits in multitasking or parallel processing (with some rare exceptions like video processing).

A nice i3 is a good middle ground for a budget gaming pc but if you can drop the extra $50 or so an i5 will hold out longer before needing to be replaced and seems to be the current sweet spot.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    the 212 is butt-cheeks for overclocking compared to some things that are $10 or $15 more. I can't see people recommending it anymore.

Don't skimp too much on a tower. Bad airflow is bad for your computer if you overclock.

Most games are GPU intensive. NOT processor intensive. A cheap i3 will handle your games just fine right now.

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Hey, first time poster in here!

My PC is starting to shit the bed so I'm looking to build a new one within the coming months. At the moment, I'm just trying to grab whatever parts I can for a decent price, it being black november/december at the moment, so I'm looking for some deals.

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130770 for the last couple of days, but I then saw http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130777 on the newegg best seller list, and was wondering if it was a good idea to pick up the cheaper one. It's 30% off at the moment, freakin 60$ cheaper, and it doesn't look like it's that much worse other than sound quality, though to be honest I'm not super savvy about building PC's. I'm not looking for super top of the line or anything, but I do want a solid mobo. Any suggestions?

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Is there a general consensus as to when the best time to order parts this time of year is? Black Friday? After xmas?

• Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

@Soggybiscuit‌ not sure of your motherboard setup but:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/826-silverstone-ds380-nas/

Also, 10 3.5" drives AND 8 2.5" drives? How much storage do you need?

It's more about consolidation and future expansion. I would like to add a seperate share for my media, hence the 2.5" hot swap bays. I've already got 6 3.5" drives in a RAIDZ2 array on my current NAS, so I would need more than one hotswap cage if move everything to one case. I would like to move the drives to actual server hardware (aka a Xeon and ECC RAM).

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Yeah I 'ordered' on 10/8 or so and it was in my hands on 10/29. The annoying thing is that I paid for overnight shipping because I didn't want it delivered on 10/31 which is when I would have received it if I just used my normal Amazon Prime shipping, but if I wasn't a prime member it would have arrived sometime the first week of November and then they almost certainly would have given me a code.

Hey @emp123, what magic words did you say to get Amazon feeling benevolent? I just had a chat with one of their customer service reps and he claims if Amazon had promo codes to give me, he'd give me one, but that Nvidia handles supplying the codes and I have to talk to them. So then I went and had a chat with an Nvidia rep and he says the opposite, that sending the codes is all the responsibility of the retailers. Since I bought my card before the promo officially started on November 4, I can understand if they say I'm SOL, but when they pass the buck like that I feel like I'm getting the runaround, or that one or both of these guys doesn't have a clue.

Gaslight on
  • Options

Hey @emp123, what magic words did you say to get Amazon feeling benevolent? I just had a chat with one of their customer service reps and he claims if Amazon had promo codes to give me, he'd give me one, but that Nvidia handles supplying the codes and I have to talk to them. So then I went and had a chat with an Nvidia rep and he says the opposite, that sending the codes is all the responsibility of the retailers. Since I bought my card before the promo officially started on November 4, I can understand if they say I'm SOL, but when they pass the buck like that I feel like I'm getting the runaround, or that one or both of these guys doesn't have a clue.

It's very possible I'm getting the runaround too; initially I hit up Amazon chat asking about their return policy and then asked I'd they would be willing to honor the Nvidia free game thing. This led to me being transferred to another chat person who asked me similar questions as the first and then decided it would be best if I talked to someone in the video games department. This led to me actually talking on the phone, which is unfortunate as now I don't have a record of what was said, but the person I spoke to said I should receive an email within two days from someone in their promo department. Two days was a week ago, but I've been too busy to follow up on it. I'm going to try again Wednesday since that'll be the next time I'm freeish after work.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    Hey, first time poster in here!

My PC is starting to shit the bed so I'm looking to build a new one within the coming months. At the moment, I'm just trying to grab whatever parts I can for a decent price, it being black november/december at the moment, so I'm looking for some deals.

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130770 for the last couple of days, but I then saw http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130777 on the newegg best seller list, and was wondering if it was a good idea to pick up the cheaper one. It's 30% off at the moment, freakin 60$ cheaper, and it doesn't look like it's that much worse other than sound quality, though to be honest I'm not super savvy about building PC's. I'm not looking for super top of the line or anything, but I do want a solid mobo. Any suggestions?

The cheaper one is fine, it even has more PCIE slots and USB ports if you care.