As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bravely series] Bravely Default II coming to Nintendo Switch

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Jars wrote: »
    how exactly does phantom blade work?

Don't know about exactly, but it gives a big bonus to your magic attacks when you have a decent weapon. I did a few tests and...

1 - Two-handed works with phantom blade to give you a huge magic boost.
    2 - Physical Attack+ buffs will boost your magic damage while using phantom blade (so if you have both Physical and Magic Attack buffs, that's huge).
    3 - My phantom blade character was outdamaging my dual-wield rod magic user with the same spells even when the phantom blade character had a shield.

I'm still trying to think of a good build that could really take advantage of a character who has both high physical damage & the high magic damage since usually you just pick one and go for it.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    vampire would be the obvious one. they can even drain mana

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Are there any spells that hit multiple times? With all the magic power you can get from Phantom Blade, that seems like the way to go, otherwise you run into problems with the damage cap (unless you use Bravely Second).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Are there any spells that hit multiple times? With all the magic power you can get from Phantom Blade, that seems like the way to go, otherwise you run into problems with the damage cap (unless you use Bravely Second).

Uh, Meteor.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    yeah meteor. vampire+time mage with phantom weapon? could be good. I have both maxed on agnes but not spell fencer.

• Options
    yeah meteor. vampire+time mage with phantom weapon? could be good. I have both maxed on agnes but not spell fencer.

And 2h and a good lore, I guess.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    how exactly does phantom blade work?

Don't know about exactly, but it gives a big bonus to your magic attacks when you have a decent weapon. I did a few tests and...

1 - Two-handed works with phantom blade to give you a huge magic boost.
    2 - Physical Attack+ buffs will boost your magic damage while using phantom blade (so if you have both Physical and Magic Attack buffs, that's huge).
    3 - My phantom blade character was outdamaging my dual-wield rod magic user with the same spells even when the phantom blade character had a shield.

I'm still trying to think of a good build that could really take advantage of a character who has both high physical damage & the high magic damage since usually you just pick one and go for it.

The big question for me is does the Phantom Blade boost apply to Sword Magic?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    vampires have A shields as well if you want more defense. you could make do with a staff or sword, I think. your ninja will want the katanas.

sword magic is based off your magic so I'd assume yes. it's still not worth if it you are using a ninja/spell fencer

Jars on
  • Options
    I don't think Sword Magic is actually based on your magic attack stat.

• Options
    I kind of get a similar impression, but it's difficult to tell?

But even if it runs off your attack stat, the question is if the sword magic gets the same weapon-based boost as other magics

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Wondering if maybe a counter-based Phantom Blade build would work. Counters to take advantage of your high physical attack, time magic to take advantage of your high magic attack.

Also wondering what kind of damage Firewall does with a Phantom Blade build.

EDIT: As far as I can tell, Phantom Blade does not make your sword magic more powerful.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I always have a hard time filling out the passive ability list after the necessities. Too often I just end up throwing in...phys attack +20%...or mag attack +10%...I always feel like there must be something I'm forgetting.

Is a good lore really going to trump phys attack +10%?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mages certainly don't have that problem. I need about 15 ability slots on those

• Options
    Two-Handed and Hawkeye on a Pirate is one of life's simple pleasures

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I always have a hard time filling out the passive ability list after the necessities. Too often I just end up throwing in...phys attack +20%...or mag attack +10%...I always feel like there must be something I'm forgetting.

Yes. E rank uses base weapon stats. S rank is double weapon stats (and some unknown hit boost), and the ranks in between fill linearly (e.g. 180% for A).

Just for physical bonus... let's say you're at B rank. That's 160% base weapon stats. +10% puts you at 176% (+10% base phys attack, but this is usually another 5 points or so, so not considering it). Even at A rank, you end up 2% ahead (198% versus 200%). This is before you account for the hit count bonuses.

Also, you can then add phys up in battle fairly easily (Buff Up is one of the best 2-point supports, for instance - increasing both attack and defense stats by 5% per turn up to the 50% cap, and then keeping them there for the whole battle).

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I just realized that instead of defaulting when my Dark Knight needs BP, I'd be better off using Life or Death three times in a row.

Seriously, this class.

• Options
    every class has an S weapon though. it's just a matter of swords vs katanas and what not

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

I'm willing to take those slots off your hands, if they're bothering you.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    I just realized that instead of defaulting when my Dark Knight needs BP, I'd be better off using Life or Death three times in a row.

Seriously, this class.

....wait, Life or Death can stack?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    My playthrough has kind of faltered in chapter 4 because it's really tedious running through all the canyons. Also I got a sidequest at the locked castle but it gave absolutely no clue as to where I find all the stones to unlock it.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Wyborn wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

Seriously, this class.

....wait, Life or Death can stack?

It applies Doom, which procs Red Mage's BP Refresh, even if already Doomed.
    Rami wrote: »
    My playthrough has kind of faltered in chapter 4 because it's really tedious running through all the canyons. Also I got a sidequest at the locked castle but it gave absolutely no clue as to where I find all the stones to unlock it.

There's six stone obelisks scattered around the overworld. The fights can be rough or you can cheese them hard, your choice.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Buff Up is one of the best 2-point supports, for instance - increasing both attack and defense stats by 5% per turn up to the 50% cap, and then keeping them there for the whole battle

Buff Up is basically a 3 point support skill since Support Amp (a 1 point passive that you get before Buff Up) turns that +5%/turn into a +15%/turn.

It's a shame the max is 5 points because Buff Up, Support Amp, and Phantom Blade would be really good.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Buff Up is one of the best 2-point supports, for instance - increasing both attack and defense stats by 5% per turn up to the 50% cap, and then keeping them there for the whole battle

Buff Up is basically a 3 point support skill since Support Amp (a 1 point passive that you get before Buff Up) turns that +5%/turn into a +15%/turn.

Eh, if you need time for it to stack up just use Spiritmaster to turn off damage for a bit. If you're losing people easily even with it at 130%+, you probably need to adjust your strategy.

• Options
    at the same time those 3 points could be devoted to something like frantic fighting and hawkeye and simply using a performer

• Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    Thanks for the awesome sends @Viking you made it real easy for me to look at the Chapter 6 boss fight in the Fire Temple, go "I don't feel like dealing with this fight." and summoning you're well put together special and not having to deal with that fight at all.

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    Thanks for the awesome sends @Viking you made it real easy for me to look at the Chapter 6 boss fight in the Fire Temple, go "I don't feel like dealing with this fight." and summoning you're well put together special and not having to deal with that fight at all.

I assume you genomed from chapter 5 then.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    every class has an S weapon though. it's just a matter of swords vs katanas and what not

Yeah, that's what I'm asking. I guess it's just a matter of checking out the stats and seeing how they change.

Hmm, it looks like knives can't be wielded two handed, so vampires probably do want a weapon lore. A knife doesn't change their stance to be holding it two handed, and neither do rods. The best knife I have, the Falcon Knife, has my attack at 171. I actually have a hard time getting my attack that low when equipping a sword two handed, almost all swords are in the 200 range minimum. The Night Emperor is 261.

However, staves are also S rank for vampires, and can be wielded two handed. The best physical staff I have, the Diamond Pole, puts me at 251. With P. attack 10% up, it's at 276. However, with Katana Lore instead and the Mutsu-no-Kami equipped, I'm at 291.

I would question whether other classes that don't have S rank in swords or katana wouldn't be better off using what they are S ranked in, with P. attack 10% up.

Just made Tiz a Valkyrie instead. With Katana Lore and Mutsu-no-Kami, he's at 298. However, with P. attack 10% up and the Donnerschlag spear, he's at 301. He's almost at the same number with another spear, Silver Glaive is at 297 and it also raises M. def.

Guess it's just a matter of checking.

I'm just looking at the 2-Hand stat on the lower screen, not sure if anything else factors into it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Yes, if you have an S rank in a two-handable weapon (or bows) and all, 10% up starts to work better.

Just try both, really, since it shows in stats. For the record, Natural Talent,Knuckle Lore,Phys +30% is a little crazy.

And yeah, I would basically always run Silver Glaive over Donnerschlag.

• Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular

I assume you genomed from chapter 5 then.

luckily enough I'm running Genome draining on Ringabel, and the boss did energy burst prior to me summoning Viking, unless there's another Genome I can get from the boss, I should be covered for that Genome.

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    I use phantom weapon in my party

1x dark knight/salve maker with blood blade
    3x monk with summon substitute, see you in hell, phantom blade

nebula, res, nebula, res, etc. give Hermes shoes to the monks to put buffs and sing/Rez before the nebula

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Yes, if you have an S rank in a two-handable weapon (or bows) and all, 10% up starts to work better.

Just try both, really, since it shows in stats. For the record, Natural Talent,Knuckle Lore,Phys +30% is a little crazy.

And yeah, I would basically always run Silver Glaive over Donnerschlag.

And I would think as you increase your stats further using buns, P. attack +10% just gets better, as 10% of a higher number is going to get you more than a flat increase provided by equipping a katana over a spear or whatever.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I think I might have over leveled a bit...I beat the Summoner and Ranger accidentally while trying to set up a strategy to beat them...

Also, the names of the main bad guys are slowly killing me. It hurts.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

See You in Hell/Summon Substitute is always useful.

I also usually buff speed over anything else if I have an open slot too.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So like, Ninja/Spell Fencer is a pretty broken combination for Ringabel. If you put everyone else in a shield and keep the resident Valkyrie in the air, the AI seems to like to focus attacks on Ringabel since he doesn't have one. Which means some painful Utsusemi retaliations with magic sword.

He literally solo'd the mid path boss in chapter 4 after an unfortunate combination of charged rocket punch and assist attack on the immediate following turn. Comeback Kid + Transience + Utsusemi + Thundaga Sword + Speed priority = boss can't damage him, and he retaliates with a Thundaga swing for 6-9k. It also seemed to activate off of the cannon fire as well.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Just finished Vampire Castle. I was expecting some dialogue differences because it was Chapter 5 but I guess not. Or maybe he was immune to what happened. Either way now I know a whole lot more about the lore of the game, which I love, and have acquired Blue Mage.

P.S. Templar and Dark Knight pair extremely well together.

• Options
    So is Torrent as strong as it looks on paper or is there some kind of trick to it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    So, chapter 4 end timing questions
    I awakened the Earth Crystal and the pillar of light is over there being a pillar of light, but I want to unlock Vampire to get the various chapter 4 only genome abilities. So I'm wondering how much more story can I do before I accidentally wander into Chapter 5? Mostly wondering if you get Dark Knight in chapter 4, or should I keep working on killing these fucking dragons to finish getting Vampire and genome abilities before moving on.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I feel slightly dirty for using completing the vampire sub-quest with utsusemi + turn tables cheese.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I feel slightly dirty for using completing the vampire sub-quest with utsusemi + turn tables cheese.

Rampart will also do in a pinch if you don't want cheese on your hands

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Rampart will also do in a pinch if you don't want cheese on your hands

Sadly, my hands already are caked in layers of Cheetos dust.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png