As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bravely series] Bravely Default II coming to Nintendo Switch

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    It's like 75% puns and 25% names that are either just names, or have some sort of meaning (not always a meaning that's relevant to the character, mind) if you squint and turn your head.

Truthfully all the names should have been puns. Puns all day, every day. In fact, the characters should have been speaking in puns.

This checks out, the entire game is literally one giant "Final Fantasy" pun.

Think about it.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    That's dumb. We should just remove the FF from the title.

Enlong on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    That's dumb. We should just remove the FF from the title.

i stared at this for a minute longer than i should have.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Okay, people, I asked the localization company about Tiz's name. Answer is in the tweet below:

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Seriously, guys, I don't even know why we were argueing this.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ah. See? The first name was just a name. That's why we got so confused.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i'm rolling my eyes so hard at you now that I'm almost turning into a slots machine

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    You do that.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I've been pondering whether there would have been better ways to handle the second half of the game, budget permitting.
    Maybe send the characters through a world where the Orthodoxy was never overthrown. Everything still kind of sucks, but in entirely different ways. Without Khamer and Profiteur's influence, the windmills were never built, leaving the desert as a depopulated wasteland where the only source of water is the increasingly overtaxed oasis. Without the Bloodrose Legion's tampering, Florem is a misandrist shithole where the male inhabitants have no rights whatsoever. The Shieldbearers have taken over Eisenberg and cut off all communication with the rest of the world. Eternia is ruled by the Orthodoxy, which is more interested in maintaining its own glory and power than in using its influence to actually help the world.

The end result is that Braev's actions become far more obviously ambiguous. His actions caused much suffering, but they also broke things that needed to be broken. He needed to be stopped, but he left behind a world that could be built into something far better than what it was before, rather than one trapped in an oppressive stasis. The question asked is whether it is better to chose the option that risks great suffering but has the chance to change the world for the better, or to choose the option that minimizes risk but prevents things from becoming better. Brave, or Default?

After that, there could be a chapter or two of boss teamup silliness.

It's kind of interesting how the game handles Florem.
    As initially presented, it runs solely on video game logic. A city populated solely by women obviously wouldn't work, but you ignore that because it's just a poorly developed video game town with only two screens and you have things that you need to kill. Everything that the Bloodrose Legion is doing is bad because blahblahblahwhatever, and they're going way too far while doing it.

And then you find out that Alternis grew up there, and all the video game logic falls away. Of course there are plenty of men there, and they're treated like total shit. In order to maintain a facade of being only populated by women, the city would need to strongly restrict the ability of men to do anything where they could ever been seen by visitors, which would require something between a slums and a prison camps. Officially all of this would have to be denied, leaving a large group of people who the law refuses to acknowledge even exist. The female half of Florem would have to all be aware of something on that scale, meaning that their culture wouldn't just exalt femininity, it would claim that men are so inferior that they don't deserve to have rights.

What's happening in Florem isn't political manipulation, it's a grudge. Braev and Alternis want to rip Florem's culture to shreds, and feel no obligation to be nice about doing so. They might not approve of the extent to which the Bloodrose Legion has gone in harming civilians, but they sent them there in the first place with a mandate to do nasty things to Florem.

And the game mentions none of this, leaving it up to the player to infer.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Without Khamer and Profiteur's influence, the windmills were never built, leaving the desert as a depopulated wasteland where the only source of water is the increasingly overtaxed oasis.
    Weren't the windmills already there before they took power? That region did have the Wind Crystal after all. Their influence was the use of over-the-top, mandatory physical labour to turn the mills when the wind stopped.

• Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    So I finally finished this a week or two ago.
    Holy shit you guys weren't kidding. I wasn't ready. It just keeps going... and going... My main complaint is that there's pretty much nothing new after chapter 4 or 5. At least they start condensing the number of sidequest battles though.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    symbolsor wrote: »
    So I finally finished this a week or two ago.
    Holy shit you guys weren't kidding. I wasn't ready. It just keeps going... and going... My main complaint is that there's pretty much nothing new after chapter 4 or 5. At least they start condensing the number of sidequest battles though.
    Actually there's the whole getting to know the asterisk holders and finding out that things aren't quite black and white as they would seem from first glance. And also mixing things up and showing what all the various job combos are like and give you hints on how to tackle the later challenges

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Well yeah, but the first and second times you go through are not terribly different. You could just skip the first time through and go straight to the second time through. First time through was the game really trying to be coy about there being parallel worlds.

Although honestly the game would find amazing results in one of the cycles keeping the world exactly as it was in the original world of the protagonists, but because the protagonists respond to these situation differently they play out differently. It becomes less a message of these people being less scumlords and more the immaturity of the protagonists not being able to see past the surface.

The world where Til goes off and becomes the protagonist would have also been boss, the loved ones of each party member in a sort of mirror party. All I got for it is Til and Olivia though.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I think they would have been better serviced condensing chapters 5 & 6 down into a single one. They're the most similar (well 6 is where larger departures happen from the original timeline)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    My main issue is that
    the story's logical endpoint is around the end of chapter 6, but the game uses a pair of big plot holes to get it to continue to chapter 8, and still have a "big reveal" moment there.

Otherwise I'm okay with it, mostly.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    in 6 they could have
    had the countdown be at 1 or 3 whatever the right number was and also had the meeting with the sage be mandatory to unlock the final class. have the unique group ups with the "enemy" and call it a day. Have a final chapter that is playing around before the final confrontation but doesn't retread the same stuff. Really my burnout was the material reward from those chapters was pretty non-existent. i'm not a 100% completionist so i didn't get all the vampire genomes but killing the tougher named mobs and not getting newer drops was kind of disappointing.

• Options
    Yeah
    More new weapons and stuff would be great. Like, take that second Ise-No-Kami, and have beating Kamiizumi merge the two into some ultimate weapon for Edea. Take out Einheria one final time and have her gift you her spear. Stuff like that.

and if you must continue past 6, give them a reason to do so. They kind of did, but they made it require info they couldn't have, such as there being a bigger bad behnd the Evil One. Have them learn that informaiton somehow. A message from the Angel pendent. A mysterious new entry in D's Journal. Tiz hearing a mysterious voice from within. Something. You know? Because otherwise, 6 is just the logical endpoint, and having a chaper 8 requires that they know more, and then less, than they should.

I'm perhaps too worked up about that.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    there's a specific reason ominous drops that second ise no kami

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    there's a specific reason ominous drops that second ise no kami
    I know! And they never follow it up! The party comes up with an alternate explanation and never find out the truth. Which is weird, because the next chapter involves her being dead. 5 and 6 could've been folded into each other

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    So, just started out, got the first three party members, and wandered into the ruins to try and thwart this Black Mage. Getting absolutely ROFLstomped by packs of orcs. Granted, I put it on Hard difficulty, but I've got Officers doing over 100 damage every turn to me and me barely making dents in them. Am I missing something? My characters are all around level 5.

• Options
    not much to say beyond grinding a little bit. Go through the dungeon as far as you can, turn encounters down to 0% when you run out of magic for healing and run back to town

that specific dungeon is an odd little encounter difficulty hump before a less punishing bit

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    For all its virtues, Bravely Default is still a level-grinding game. One of its virtues is that it helps you automate the grind significantly (especially since you can usually wipe an enemy party in a turn of 4x Braves, and if you can't, you're underlevelled anyhow). But if you're getting ROFLstomped where you are, you probably just need to go back to where you were before and get more levels. (You are probably a bit too early for your party composition to be the problem, because you've got all of, what, two Asterisks?)

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Monk and White Mage, neither of which has amazing skills within the first five or so job levels you will get in this time period

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Monk and White Mage, neither of which has amazing skills within the first five or so job levels you will get in this time period

Switched a character to monk and got him the Simian Staff from Norende and got the the Carving Knife for my Freelancer. Absolutely tearing through those orcs now.

Took my 3DS XL New to work today and left it open in my bag while I tended bar so I could periodically switch my villagers around to build up the various shops. I forgot to periodically save the game, and when the system ran out of batteries, all my progress on the town went *poof*. : P

• Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    You know you don't have to keep it open for the villagers to build stuff, right? They'll continue building straight through sleep mode. (Just close the lid. They will stop if you exit the game, though. EDIT: Or, uh, even if you turn it off completely.)

Ark Evensong on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    no they keep building. the 3ds needs to be left on for bravely seconds to recharge

• Options
    They keep on going at it, said from a person who only ever had one dude building up Norende

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    The best things you can get from Norene are the upgrades to the healing special move, and the Falcon Knives/Fox Tails.

• Options
    Also the healing shield

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    They keep on going at it, said from a person who only ever had one dude building up Norende

And 100 villagers really get things built quick!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Also the healing shield

Oh damn! The blessed shield! I totally forgot!

Yeah, that thing's amazing. i went through like all the game without White Mages because of that.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Frankly, the village kinda wrecks the equipment progression curve, and nothing you find in chests is ever worth a damn as a result. Don't worry too much about building it super fast.

• Options
    Frankly, the village kinda wrecks the equipment progression curve, and nothing you find in chests is ever worth a damn as a result. Don't worry too much about building it super fast.

Unless I grind like a madman, a lot of that stuff'll be out of my price range anyway.

• Options
    So, apparently the EU version of Bravely Second has change the Tomahawk class's outfit from one based on native Americans to one based on cowboy gunslingers.

So that's a thing.

• Options
    So, apparently the EU version of Bravely Second has change the Tomahawk class's outfit from one based on native Americans to one based on cowboy gunslingers.

So that's a thing.

It has also transitioned from a bikini to pants

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I thank Bravely Default for the Abilink feature, which has enabled me to perform the Big Pharma trick in Chapter 1. I'm currently whacking a golem in the Wind Temple and most of the Norende stuff is already built because my playtime of video games for the past month can best be described as glacial.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

So that's a thing.

Good. Releasing a game where white characters dress up as Native Americans in a class called "Tomahawk" is fucking dumb. I'm not sure "Cowboy" is a good replacement though.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    i'm not sure how to feel about it. On the one hand, the class as it originally is is pretty dumb, design-wise (on top of the potential racism, why did you name a gun-wielding class after a kind of axe?). On the other hand, removing a native american design and replacing it with a cowboy one seems kind of uncomfortably on-the-nose, historically speaking.

Enlong on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    i'm not sure how to feel about it. On the one hand, the class as it originally is is pretty dumb, design-wise (on top of the potential racism, why did you name a gun-wielding class after a kind of axe?). On the other hand, removing a native american design and replacing it with a cowboy one seems kind of uncomfortably on-the-nose, historically speaking.

Well one is a stereotyped profession while the other was a racial stereotype so yeah, one of them people choose to associate with and one is something people get associated with by the color of their skin. That choice makes a difference.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm going to regret asking this but

What do the two versions of the class look like?

dN0T6ur.png