As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bravely series] Bravely Default II coming to Nintendo Switch

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    If you input a command and get +bp it reduces the bp you will lose that turn. Do not worry about That. The problem only arises when you need the bp to act and the +bp comes second. @Enlong

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, I just kinda wrecked the boss of Chapter 6's
    Vampire Castle.

Basically, I had set up my usual method; defensive boons, Charybdis dart, Ammy mist, dark-weakness on the enemy, etc etc.

So, on a whim, I decided to see how much damage Edea could do, because I noticed that, after using Rage, Barrage would make any further attacks do 9999. I dropped two Rages and two basic attacks into a turn, building up both Adversity and Barrage in doing so, then popped a Bravely Second and attacked with Assault Mission.

Thirty-four thousand damage. It was glorious.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I've never used Bravely Second. I don't think I used the similar mechanic in the first game either.

Half the time I forget it exists.

Viskod on
  • Options
    I almost never use it for damage. Usually I use it if I'm in massive danger and need to heal and revive people now.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    What does it even do again? Stop time and give you a free turn?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    What does it even do again? Stop time and give you a free turn?

Yes. You get to have one person act NOW.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    And it removes the damage cap (9999 damage)

• Options
    Just so. I use it when I absolutely cannot take the chance that the enemy will act before my next action.

Or when I just want to see crazy damage numbers.

It also removes the healing cap, but that's not exactly ever relevant.

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    If you input a command and get +bp it reduces the bp you will lose that turn. Do not worry about That. The problem only arises when you need the bp to act and the +bp comes second. @Enlong

You sure? I could've sworn that it doesn't quite play out that way when I try it.

Just to clarify:

Say I have someone at +3BP, and they are taking actions that would reduce them to -4. However, another party member is taking actions that will grant them an extra 3 BP. Will the first party member end the turn with -1 BP, even if they recieved the extra BP before acting (while they were still at the maximum stocked value of +3 BP)?

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Bravely second is also useful for stringing out special music

What you really need to start doing is abuse friend summons. You get a damage boost if you summon a friend often enough

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm fighting Revenant right now. It turns out that the Exorcist job does deserve its title, considering what it just let me do to it.

Edit: And it looks like gravity spells would have been almost as nasty.

jothki on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »

You sure? I could've sworn that it doesn't quite play out that way when I try it.

Just to clarify:

Say I have someone at +3BP, and they are taking actions that would reduce them to -4. However, another party member is taking actions that will grant them an extra 3 BP. Will the first party member end the turn with -1 BP, even if they recieved the extra BP before acting (while they were still at the maximum stocked value of +3 BP)?

Exactly.

• Options
    Just checked in a fight. Seems you're super right. That's exciting.

• Options
    Does that also mean that if someone is hit with Undo BP, they'll end the turn with the full BP value rather than the full value minus the BP they spend after receiving it?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    My level 50+ ship, Le Bleu Cavalier, is at your service.

@GONG-00 Ooh, I'll add you next, because I'm hitting a wall with one of the bosses in Not-Japan.

My code is 5413-1311-3767

EDIT Might be a repeat message, I dont know, damn phone.

The pagent at Florem was fantastic.
    It finally shows that Alternis and Ringabel really are the same person. What a delight, seeing Alternis being a hammy bastard even with the helmet on.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    still slogging through chapter 5
    making this stuff not optional has made it so much worse. I'd rather mash X for a bit and be done with it than have to go through the quests again and make the choices I didn't want to make

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I mean,
    unless you need a particular job to complete your team, or are specifically gunning for 100% completion, it kind of is optional. I've only re-done three of the quests and have no real desire to do the others.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Just checked in a fight. Seems you're super right. That's exciting.

Wait no. Actually, that's wrong. I just tried it with an ally doing two Rages and a third action in a turn (going from +3 to -4), with someone tossing 3 BP their way, which happened before the Rager acted.

They still ended the turn with -3 BP.

• Options
    Something else must have happened.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Just tested it again. Rager at +4 BP. Used 2 Rages and 2 other actions. Total cost of 8 BP, in order to drop to -4. 4 extra BP coming from other party members who act before her. If the turn order doesn't matter, that should've resulted in the Rager ending the turn with 0 BP. All the enemies were paralyzed and no other party members were acting.

The enemies all died when the second Rage was used (on her third action). At that point, her BP was at -3.

Just to be sure, I tried again with just physical attacks, in case it had to do with Rage itself. 4 attacks from +4 BP, 4 BP coming my way. Ended the turn with 0 BP.

It actually doesn't work if the BP provider moves first, and the person acting has max BP.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Apparently possession is key to getting the 999,999 damage limit in this game

If you aren't familiar with how people reach those numbers (or at least did so in bravely default) you have to realize that these are not only done with extreme buffs, which you can check in the sent move info, but also enemy weaknesses. I use Thunderburst in Bravely Default not only because it has the highest damage multiplier, it also has a lightning property. So I pair it with any other property, which you get free from special move mods, and you have a dual element weapon, with also a race bonus that is rarely accounted for. Then I used salvemaker to give the enemy defense debuffs and weaknesses to both elements for max multipliers, in addition to the max + max (+ max + max) physical attack, the max + max (+ max) hit count, the max critical rate, the max elemental boost, and full leverage cause why not. It's all about stacking as many multipliers as you can.

So, when using a sent move, especially against a ba'al, it's helpful to know the properties of the move so you can prep the enemy with debuffs in the way that the sent move was actually prepared. I don't think your personal buffs when using a sent move, like Pierce Magic Defense, actually matter (though they do matter for the person sending - which is why it's a bad idea to use Speculate).

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Florem and beyond is getting pretty frustrating. Dungeon levels are in the red and enemies are not yielding experience to match their single turn power. I'm looking for a sweet spot to grind for XP.

• Options
    You doing the asterisk side quests? The dungeons associated with them tend to be the midway point between story dungeons.

• Options
    You doing the asterisk side quests? The dungeons associated with them tend to be the midway point between story dungeons.

I've completed them all so far, until now, in which I've hit a point where the Valkerie is doing too damn much damage with Crescent Moon and the creatures in the area slap me around.

• Options
    I'm in Chapter 5 now.
    I'm tempted to abort, do a non-Bravely Seconded run, and grab all of the alternate Asterisks much more easily. Can I do that?

• Options
    yes but it will still take longer

more on chapter 5
    having finally finished the sidequests now I am blowing through the main duo bosses. 3 ninjas with limit breaker, killing them both on turn 3. it's disappointing that they left a bunch of jobs past the point that you want to use them, like valkryie. that was a big time job in BD and here even if you pick it first it isn't any good.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    I'm in Chapter 5 now.
    I'm tempted to abort, do a non-Bravely Seconded run, and grab all of the alternate Asterisks much more easily. Can I do that?

I don't see why not. Also not sure why you would though.
    All the ch5 sidequest dungeons are the same level range, but different mobs. Find one that works nice and you can just grind your way to 60 easy. I think I had a whm with group cast master aeroga 1 shotting things.

• Options
    Does anyone know what happens if you possess someone, stop possessing them, and Undo HP them back to a time when they were still possessed?

• Options
    Valkyrie down. Damn that grind was torture.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Does Undo Action actually do anything? I never seem to get a result from it. Does it have to fire in the same turn?

• Options
    edited May 2016
    How do you make physical attacking, well, good? I have Valkyrie, Ninja, and Hunter classes, and I find my Summoner doing all the work. I'm trying to decide whether or not to get Pirate because of it.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Hawkeye is a good place to start. Harpoon grants a self-buff that makes your attacks ignore enemy physical defense, and Warhead lets you exploit elemental weaknesses. And the class's passive skill doubles accuracy. And I got quite a bit of mileage out of Fencer's stance-shifting attacks. I don't have Swordmaster, but I imagine the Frenetic Fighting/Multitask Combo is still a good one.

Of course, I'd say one of the biggest standouts among physical jobs is, as in the last game,
    Dark Knight.

• Options
    Fencer stance buffs, regular buffs, and special buffs all have separate caps on physical attack. High accuracy + high agility = obscene hit count, which is the true damage dealer. Also try using guns and bows if you don't want two handed.

Also, damage tends to be crap if your attack is below a certain number, and rapidly becomes great the more distance you put from that number. Try finding stat boosts and multipliers somewhere.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Cantido wrote: »
    How do you make physical attacking, well, good? I have Valkyrie, Ninja, and Hunter classes, and I find my Summoner doing all the work. I'm trying to decide whether or not to get Pirate because of it.

My Magnolia is a beast using Fencer skills and knuckles (mastered Catmancer, currently working on Monk). Auto-starting in Wolf stance and then alternating between the Wolf and Aurochs strikes just destroys things.

Edea mostly leans on Nothing Ventured (I took Blademaster over Summoner) to absorb damage for the team while dealing counterstrikes.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    There's bonus post-game content, right? My party has begun to hit that "too powerful for the story bosses" spot.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    ninja/hawkeye. physical boon mist, harpoon, warhead, ikkitusu attackx3. I'm in chapter 6 and it's still beating bosses on turn 3. in fact
    I killed the turtle dove with edea alone, tiz and magnolia didn't even have to attack

Jars on
  • Options
    Hmm, I wonder whether Undo HP works on bosses that regenerate to full health.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Should I play the first game before playing the second?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Hmm, I wonder whether Undo HP works on bosses that regenerate to full health.

I'm wondering that myself - like, one of the first bosses you fight after getting it can do that, and I'm wondering if it could reset to near-dead.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Should I play the first game before playing the second?

It would certainly give you a stronger understanding of the main and recurring characters than if you don't.

Even if you don't, though, the intro to Second contains a cliff notes version of Default's story.