Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread is old, use the new thread!

2456798

Posts

  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    The period during which players are unaffected by curative magic after being revived has been reduced.

    This is a really nice change. It's so annoying trying to get someone's HP up after a death and wasting it by casting it on yourself.

    Also nice, under "New items have been added."
    Chocobo Suit Body Item Level: 1/Equipment Level: 1

    1e50acf08461e355e3e5d4736391ba3f787720f1_21.png

    Seems to be a reward for hitting rank 10 on your Chocobo.

    Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro / PSN: DocDaft
    Riokenn
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Brings a Magic Infused Gun to a Swordfight. Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Weee! Patch~

    vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // LoL: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    So, anyone have any opinions on my leveling plans? Should I hit 15 on Arcanist and swap to Thaum to 8 before switching over to Conjurer? I know ultimately to get all my cross class skills for White Mage I'll need to get Arcanist to 34 and Thaum to 26, Thaum seems more important though, as I haven't really noticed any mention of White Mages actually using Eye for an Eye in the healing guides I've looked at so far.

    Or should I get Arcanist to 20 first and get my mount immediately?

    I also have no idea when/if I should get involved in any of the crafting/gathering stuff. First character and all. I didn't really bother during the beta since it didn't really mean anything.

    Edit: Hmm, well checking out a guide related to leveling, it sort of seems like getting the chocobo isn't quite as straight forward as I thought... gotta choose a Grand Company first. I was thinking of just stopping at 15 and switching, though if I do go far enough to join the Grand Company at 20, and then switching, I'd at least be gaining seals for FATEs I did at really low level. Not sure.

    I'd start CNJ, honestly, if that is the one you plan to take. I don't remember when you can officially take a second class (maybe it's level 10? Or is it after all the starter dungeons? I can't remember). I'd take CNJ to 30 before worrying about anything else, so you have your mount and the such ready to go.

    ACN is a DPS class until level 30, not a healing class (even though they have a heal).

    As for crafting, do it if you want to. The FC has an absolute metric boatload fuckton (what other words can I use) of crafters, so anything you need, someone can make. If you want to do it because you like crafting, then go for it. If you are thinking about doing it so you can have crafted gear, someone else can probably help you out.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    The period during which players are unaffected by curative magic after being revived has been reduced.

    This is a really nice change. It's so annoying trying to get someone's HP up after a death and wasting it by casting it on yourself.

    Also nice, under "New items have been added."
    Chocobo Suit Body Item Level: 1/Equipment Level: 1

    1e50acf08461e355e3e5d4736391ba3f787720f1_21.png

    Seems to be a reward for hitting rank 10 on your Chocobo.

    Is the hat still available? Or is that only something for legacy players?

  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »
    So, anyone have any opinions on my leveling plans? Should I hit 15 on Arcanist and swap to Thaum to 8 before switching over to Conjurer? I know ultimately to get all my cross class skills for White Mage I'll need to get Arcanist to 34 and Thaum to 26, Thaum seems more important though, as I haven't really noticed any mention of White Mages actually using Eye for an Eye in the healing guides I've looked at so far.

    Or should I get Arcanist to 20 first and get my mount immediately?

    I also have no idea when/if I should get involved in any of the crafting/gathering stuff. First character and all. I didn't really bother during the beta since it didn't really mean anything.

    Edit: Hmm, well checking out a guide related to leveling, it sort of seems like getting the chocobo isn't quite as straight forward as I thought... gotta choose a Grand Company first. I was thinking of just stopping at 15 and switching, though if I do go far enough to join the Grand Company at 20, and then switching, I'd at least be gaining seals for FATEs I did at really low level. Not sure.

    I'd start CNJ, honestly, if that is the one you plan to take. I don't remember when you can officially take a second class (maybe it's level 10? Or is it after all the starter dungeons? I can't remember). I'd take CNJ to 30 before worrying about anything else, so you have your mount and the such ready to go.

    ACN is a DPS class until level 30, not a healing class (even though they have a heal).

    As for crafting, do it if you want to. The FC has an absolute metric boatload fuckton (what other words can I use) of crafters, so anything you need, someone can make. If you want to do it because you like crafting, then go for it. If you are thinking about doing it so you can have crafted gear, someone else can probably help you out.

    Well, you can technically switch classes at 10, but you can't leave your starting area until 15, which would still work alright if I was going to go ahead and get Thaum to 8, I suppose. Presently I'm figuring on swapping to Conjurer at 15 though. It really doesn't take long to hit 15 anyway.

    As for the crafting thing, I'm not actually on the PA server... My friends were on Cactuar, though one isn't currently playing and they're only about level 20 anyway...

  • ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    Just picked this up on sale from Steam, patching now! Heard nothing but good things about this and I've been dying to lose myself in a new MMO. Gonna try to join up on the PA server/linkshell wa

    X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    I'm glad Hydra and Chimera are finally in the DF.

    I'm sad that I only have 1 relic left to take advantage of this for. :rotate:

    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    And with that every CT run ever was filled with glowing letters placed by bored people :P

    What messages could we spell I wonder.

    Fart.

    CorehealerSkeith
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Sadly, I doubt it goes all the way to T (unless someone verified this?). My guess is we have maybe A-E?

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I'm glad Hydra and Chimera are finally in the DF.

    I'm sad that I only have 1 relic left to take advantage of this for. :rotate:

    I still have 3 to go, 1 of which I am starting soon, so I am quite happy about this. =P I still won't pug Titan, but could make getting to that point a lot easier.

  • Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    So, anyone have any opinions on my leveling plans? Should I hit 15 on Arcanist and swap to Thaum to 8 before switching over to Conjurer? I know ultimately to get all my cross class skills for White Mage I'll need to get Arcanist to 34 and Thaum to 26, Thaum seems more important though, as I haven't really noticed any mention of White Mages actually using Eye for an Eye in the healing guides I've looked at so far.

    Or should I get Arcanist to 20 first and get my mount immediately?

    I also have no idea when/if I should get involved in any of the crafting/gathering stuff. First character and all. I didn't really bother during the beta since it didn't really mean anything.

    Edit: Hmm, well checking out a guide related to leveling, it sort of seems like getting the chocobo isn't quite as straight forward as I thought... gotta choose a Grand Company first. I was thinking of just stopping at 15 and switching, though if I do go far enough to join the Grand Company at 20, and then switching, I'd at least be gaining seals for FATEs I did at really low level. Not sure.

    Take your first class past 20 for freedom. WHMs definitely use Eye for an Eye, it's a great cooldown. Virus as well, though that's earlier. Swiftcast is a must, but not really till 50. Scholar is linked to Arcanist, and requires WHM sub. So if you take ACN to 34, then take CNJ to 34, you'll have two healers to try out (Which I advise, Scholar is pretty fun, though I prefer WHM now that I have both at 50). With THM at 26, you'll also have all the cross class skills. Don't worry about taking a little longer to try out different jobs, there's plenty to do lategame, it's not going anywhere.

    Once you hit 20, you'll get access to the Grand Company Hunting Log, which nets seals, as well as Halatali, which gets you some GC Log kills worth quite a bit. It's very easy to get the needed seals.

  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    It sounds like Bard was far from a little lazy he's detrimentally lazy and is basically not using 50% of his basic skills. Trash mobs have a lot of health and not using all of the skills available to you to kill them is wasting the rest of the groups time because he couldn't be bothered to hit two keys on his keyboard.

    I have a very full plate IRL with work, wife, kid, newborn and other stuff. This gives me a limited play window. I have totally kicked people that clearly have no clue at all about their job (not talking suboptimal play, but like blms that were only spammimg something stupid like freeze). Im all about helping new or confused players but if you cant be bothered to read a tooltip then without a doubt my time is of greater value than a random guys entertainment.

    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »
    It sounds like Bard was far from a little lazy he's detrimentally lazy and is basically not using 50% of his basic skills. Trash mobs have a lot of health and not using all of the skills available to you to kill them is wasting the rest of the groups time because he couldn't be bothered to hit two keys on his keyboard.

    I have a very full plate IRL with work, wife, kid, newborn and other stuff. This gives me a limited play window. I have totally kicked people that clearly have no clue at all about their job (not talking suboptimal play, but like blms that were only spammimg something stupid like freeze). Im all about helping new or confused players but if you cant be bothered to read a tooltip then without a doubt my time is of greater value than a random guys entertainment.

    This is the type of attitude I would try to avoid when it comes to building a strong and friendly community in an MMO.

    I remember running Garuda Hard Mode with you many times, where you were unable to line of sight her big attacks and died 3-4 times a fight. We never kicked you and went out of our way to help you still get the fight done. Not being able to line of sight on Garuda is about the same type of thing as a BLM only spamming freeze.

    Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »
    It sounds like Bard was far from a little lazy he's detrimentally lazy and is basically not using 50% of his basic skills. Trash mobs have a lot of health and not using all of the skills available to you to kill them is wasting the rest of the groups time because he couldn't be bothered to hit two keys on his keyboard.

    I have a very full plate IRL with work, wife, kid, newborn and other stuff. This gives me a limited play window. I have totally kicked people that clearly have no clue at all about their job (not talking suboptimal play, but like blms that were only spammimg something stupid like freeze). Im all about helping new or confused players but if you cant be bothered to read a tooltip then without a doubt my time is of greater value than a random guys entertainment.

    This is the type of attitude I would try to avoid when it comes to building a strong and friendly community in an MMO.

    I remember running Garuda Hard Mode with you many times, where you were unable to line of sight her big attacks and died 3-4 times a fight. We never kicked you and went out of our way to help you still get the fight done. Not being able to line of sight on Garuda is about the same type of thing as a BLM only spamming freeze.

    I ran Garuda with you exactly once and it was my first run. In fact i can count on one hand the times i ever did anything with you, but its ok its not really important.

    Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Oh wow, they changed how /wait can work in macros. No more cutting crafting macros into 2 buttons.

    With the addition of market boards, I don't think I'm ever leaving the housing area again. Although is there a way to repair yet? On that note, I think now my biggest QoL wishlist item would be improving the way repairs via crafting work; Have a similar interface to the vendor repair and let it verify if you have the appropriate crafting level and dark matter. I don't bother with it at all since it's a hassle now.

    "The moogle letter box furnishing will now light up when mail arrives." OK, that's adorable.

    "The Sic and Obey pet commands can now be activated without a target present. Furthermore, pets will remain set to either command even when re-summoned." and "Eos and Selene will now continue to follow their owners even when switching between the Sic and Obey commands." makes me weep with joy. I had a macro that did all that, but mashing it before the barrier goes down or forgetting = yay everything's on cooldown for 1-2 minutes, way to suck Eos.

    "Players can now receive periodic notifications of the number of parties recruiting members via the log window. To activate this function, select Display Periodic Recruitment Notifications in the Party Finder interface." That's neat.

    I'm going to need a bigger jewelry box for all these rings though, wow.

    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »
    It sounds like Bard was far from a little lazy he's detrimentally lazy and is basically not using 50% of his basic skills. Trash mobs have a lot of health and not using all of the skills available to you to kill them is wasting the rest of the groups time because he couldn't be bothered to hit two keys on his keyboard.

    I have a very full plate IRL with work, wife, kid, newborn and other stuff. This gives me a limited play window. I have totally kicked people that clearly have no clue at all about their job (not talking suboptimal play, but like blms that were only spammimg something stupid like freeze). Im all about helping new or confused players but if you cant be bothered to read a tooltip then without a doubt my time is of greater value than a random guys entertainment.

    This is the type of attitude I would try to avoid when it comes to building a strong and friendly community in an MMO.

    I remember running Garuda Hard Mode with you many times, where you were unable to line of sight her big attacks and died 3-4 times a fight. We never kicked you and went out of our way to help you still get the fight done. Not being able to line of sight on Garuda is about the same type of thing as a BLM only spamming freeze.

    I ran Garuda with you exactly once and it was my first run. In fact i can count on one hand the times i ever did anything with you, but its ok its not really important.

    My point wasn't about how many things I've ran with you. It was about kicking players from groups.

    For the record, your first Garuda Hard mode was with me and you were the second tank. We did great and 1 shotted her. I was talking about the third time I ran her with you and you were not a tank, but a BLM... not being a tank meant you died when you didn't dodge behind the rocks. Since you were a tank before, you not dodging didn't matter.

    But like you said, that's not important. What's important is building community in MMOs and if we had booted YOU from our groups because you couldn't dodge behind rocks, then we would be sharing the same attitude you have towards people who do things like "spam freeze" to much. Now if someone spamming freeze meant it was impossible for the group to complete the dungeon, then yes I would politely tell the person we can't finish this with them. Same with killing Garuda HM, we still completed the fight when you died 3-4 times. No biggie, if we had booted you then you would miss out on the chance to learn the mechanics. However if it became impossible to finish the fight, then we would have had to replace you. It just would be nice if you were able to show the same courtesy that others have shown you in the past, and "kicking a mage for spamming freeze" is not.

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Then again I'm of the opinion that none of the 50 myth tome dungeons are really all that difficult. Pharoh Sirius kind of? But even that's really just rough on the healer for the final fight. Virtually everything else in those dungeons is easy if people just do their job in a given boss fight or are willing to ask questions if they aren't familiar with a given fight.

    The bolded/italicized bit is why I kicked him. If he can't be relied on to use his full rotation in the easiest parts of the dungeon, what's he going to do at the bosses? I don't have time for that. If he had been like, "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm kinda new to this and not good with rotations yet." I woulda coached him through it (my other toon is a Bard), but he was just flat out refusing to do his job, which is to maximize DPS in an effective manner, so off the island he went.

    Unless he is paying your sub i think you gave him enough slack. :p

    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Lag, slow reaction time, invisible bosses, or just bein new? Sure, don't kick them. Work around it, teach, be friendly.

    Intentionally slacking off or screwing around because the content is beneath you? Be it trash or bosses, get out. Go be a burden on someone else.

    The latter harms the community just as much as kicking someone for making a single mistake. So far the complaints have been because of people being the latter, not the former.

    CormacBadwrongEshCorehealerSionnach RuaTridus1x
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    The <wait> change means that I can now include Protect into my group buff macro.

  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Yukira wrote: »
    Lag, slow reaction time, invisible bosses, or just bein new? Sure, don't kick them. Work around it, teach, be friendly.

    Intentionally slacking off or screwing around because the content is beneath you? Be it trash or bosses, get out. Go be a burden on someone else.

    The latter harms the community just as much as kicking someone for making a single mistake. So far the complaints have been because of people being the latter, not the former.

    I totally agree, someone just playing poorly on purpose like the guy who wouldn't "use dots" after obviously knowing he could use them.... ya probably would just boot them. Hell @Delphinidaes ' first time with Chimera was before he used Pingzapper, and much to my amusement he got hit by that debuff death ball Every. Single. Time. Swearing very much about how he never saw the thing. Not his fault though, we all know the latency issues that this game has.

    But then you have cases like the following, where the person actually did change what they were doing when the group asked them... but were still booted because although he improved his rotation, it wasn't upto whatever elitist standards that people thought it should be:
    We had the unfortunate oppertunity to try out vote abandon last night. Had a blackmage in the party that thought freeze was his killer skill and was spamming it. We corrected him nicely and suggested he use his Astral/Umbral rotation. To his credit he did! Except he was spamming blizzard and tossing in the occasional fire.
    Moments later, the dungeon ended

    Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Expecting someone to read the information provided in the game isn't elitist. Even the class quests help explain how to be your class.

    The tool tips contained within the game do a pretty good job of explaining how the abilities work and mesh together.

    Spamming blizzard with the occasional fire isn't playing the class suboptimally, it's not playing the class right at all.

    Suboptimal would be messing up your umbral/astral switch, forgetting a DPS cooldown or not having all available cross class skills.

    Greg USN
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Expecting someone to read the information provided in the game isn't elitist. Even the class quests help explain how to be your class.

    The tool tips contained within the game do a pretty good job of explaining how the abilities work and mesh together.

    Spamming blizzard with the occasional fire isn't playing the class suboptimally, it's not playing the class right at all.

    Suboptimal would be messing up your umbral/astral switch, forgetting a DPS cooldown or not having all available cross class skills.

    The group suggested how he could change, and then it says "To his credit he did!". I don't know any other meaning that might have.

    But he was obviously not good at the game or his class and so his DPS rotation was still wrong. However because he changed what he was doing when the group suggested, that meant he was open to improve and try to do things right.

    This is a very different case from the BRD who was asked "please use DOT's" and he answered "No".

    Answering "No" != "To his credit he did!"

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    Expecting someone to read the information provided in the game isn't elitist. Even the class quests help explain how to be your class.

    The tool tips contained within the game do a pretty good job of explaining how the abilities work and mesh together.

    Spamming blizzard with the occasional fire isn't playing the class suboptimally, it's not playing the class right at all.

    Suboptimal would be messing up your umbral/astral switch, forgetting a DPS cooldown or not having all available cross class skills.

    The group suggested how he could change, and then it says "To his credit he did!". I don't know any other meaning that might have.

    But he was obviously not good at the game or his class and so his DPS rotation was still wrong. However because he changed what he was doing when the group suggested, that meant he was open to improve and try to do things right.

    This is a very different case from the BRD who was asked "please use DOT's" and he answered "No".

    Answering "No" != "To his credit he did!"

    I think you're missing the obvious sarcasm implied in 'to his credit he did' when the result was them spamming blizzard.

    Also I think there's a fairly reasonable cap on 'teaching' people basic rotations by the time you're doing hard mode dungeons. If you're in brayflox and the smn isn't doing a good job of keeping DoT's up, that's a fine time to toss a few pointers and have some patience.

    But by the time you're in haukke HM if you're having to teach a BLM their bare basic rotation a little less patience is compltely understandable, in situations where one person actively playing poorly can waste everyone elses time.

    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

    YukiraGreg USNPsionikubiCorehealer
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    I think you're missing the obvious sarcasm implied in 'to his credit he did' when the result was them spamming blizzard.

    Also I think there's a fairly reasonable cap on 'teaching' people basic rotations by the time you're doing hard mode dungeons. If you're in brayflox and the smn isn't doing a good job of keeping DoT's up, that's a fine time to toss a few pointers and have some patience.

    But by the time you're in haukke HM if you're having to teach a BLM their bare basic rotation a little less patience is compltely understandable, in situations where one person actively playing poorly can waste everyone elses time.

    I read it with the meaning of "the player was open to suggestion". If someone is open to learning and changing how they play that's not the same as straight up refusing in order to waste peoples time.

    If the guy kept spamming freeze the entire time and blatantly ignored what they suggested, then sure hes just being a troll or something.

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Pretty much. Astral/umbral is the core of being a black mage. It you get to 40 and don't understand it then you reeeeeeally were not paying attention. It not even a case of not maximizing time in astral before a switch or keeping thunder up or any myriad of things to push out every last bit of DPs. It's a case of being 40 levels deep into a class and not understanding its core mechanic at all. To a point where each pull is taking at least twice as long because you are doing almost zero DPS. At that point its effecting the enjoyment of three other people.

    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Pretty much. Astral/umbral is the core of being a black mage. It you get to 40 and don't understand it then you reeeeeeally were not paying attention. It not even a case of not maximizing time in astral before a switch or keeping thunder up or any myriad of things to push out every last bit of DPs. It's a case of being 40 levels deep into a class and not understanding its core mechanic at all. To a point where each pull is taking at least twice as long because you are doing almost zero DPS. At that point its effecting the enjoyment of three other people.

    It sounded like he was willing to learn the core mechanics though, you just didn't have the patience to teach him.

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    when I did chimera for scholar the dps died like 4 times each

    while bad, I thought it was pretty funny. but we still won, if we didn't I probably would have been pretty annoyed.

  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Pretty much. Astral/umbral is the core of being a black mage. It you get to 40 and don't understand it then you reeeeeeally were not paying attention. It not even a case of not maximizing time in astral before a switch or keeping thunder up or any myriad of things to push out every last bit of DPs. It's a case of being 40 levels deep into a class and not understanding its core mechanic at all. To a point where each pull is taking at least twice as long because you are doing almost zero DPS. At that point its effecting the enjoyment of three other people.

    That would be a good opportunity to stop, and take a few moments to politely explain to the guy how the class works and what he should be doing. Especially since you saw him change after the first suggestion. Turning it from a poor experience for all around to a very positive experience instead.

    Shoot I've done that exact thing multiple times for random people I've played with and they are almost always incredibly appreciative that someone took the time to help them out instead of just kicking them to the curb. Is it irritating when someone clearly didn't learn their class? Of course. Is the appropriate response "Fuck this guy I pay good money to play this game I shouldn't have to deal with people who didn't learn it properly"

    Eh....probably not. At the very least it doesn't come across as FFXIV having a very good community.. I would vastly prefer to be part of a game that spends a little bit of extra time and helps people who don't know what to do, get better so they can also enjoy the game more.

    Now if the guy just tells you to piss off, and refuses to take any advice whatsoever? Well yeah feel free to kick him to the curb. But it sounds like the guy tried to change and just didn't get it right. Which to me is a prime opportunity to take a break from the dungeon and turn the run into a "Let's teach the Black Mage to be a badass" run. Should he have learned how to play properly via the in game quests? Sure, but not everyone picks things up the same way, and despite the game being very good at teaching players sometimes it gets missed. Hell the guy could have ground FATEs the entire time and never properly learned his class.

    I'm just adverse to the idea that poor players are "just a burden" or that somehow my time is more valuable or important than theirs. I don't think it's conducive of building a positive community. Most of the time it just takes a little bit of coaching and people can do really well. On top of that they get an amazing experience and they get to feel really good about the FFXIV community because some random person in the Duty finder took some extra time to make sure they got it right. Sure it slows down my day a bit and working 10 hour days means I don't get as much play time as I'd like, but since I know the content pretty well already I think it's worth the extra time it takes me to help others out.

    Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    BadwrongGroveSionnach RuaPrjctD_Captain
  • StericaSterica Wow! That was shit.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2014
    I am utterly sick to death of this Badwrong/Greg USN thing.

    Badwrong: stop messing with Greg USN. He's been trying to leave it be, but you keep needling him. I don't want either of you talking to you each other because it always ends poorly for the thread as whole.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    GroveBadwrongDelphinidaesPsionikubiam0nGreg USNCorehealerCormacIshtaarPrjctD_CaptainJust_Bri_ThanksWicked Uncle ErnieElucida
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Anyone able to try out the patch yet?

  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Yukira wrote: »
    Anyone able to try out the patch yet?

    Logged in for a few minutes this morning and verified the Mount roulette and Minion Roulette are functioning properly. Was there supposed to be some other change? ;)

    On a more serious note these possible (but unconfirmed) stealth changes may have happened:
    • Turn 2 enrage now ticks in the 3000 damage range, and 33% more frequently
    • On Turn 5, the MT loses all threat upon entering conflag. (possibly debunked)
    • Conflags have less HP
    • Snakes have less HP
    • The green Divebomb indicator is larger

    If true that will make Twintania interesting. The Tank will need to eat Death sentence, but conflags will up down quicker, which means more DPS on Twintania, which means less chance of running into enrage. It also means we don't need to try and sync up Death Sentence with conflag, which means faster runs as well.

    Harder on healers, but maybe better overall. Very interesting.

    Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    Sionnach Rua
  • Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    I wonder what those rings will do to bis crafting?

    FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

    I just make random noises... mreh
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Why is it always the healers that get the burden? We walk on water enough as it is. :P

    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

    76561197990097905.png
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Well, looks like my raid group is SoL for turn 2 now! =P

  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Well, looks like my raid group is SoL for turn 2 now! =P

    You are joking right?

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    am0n wrote: »
    Well, looks like my raid group is SoL for turn 2 now! =P

    Nah the early reports say that it's still doable, you just need more healing now (People were saying they typically bring 3 WHM? ). People are still doing the enrage method.

    Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of yay that they made the enrage harder. But that's just me

    FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

    I just make random noises... mreh
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Damn it, now I might end Turn 2 with less than 90% mana. This is BULLSHIT.

    Scholars are cheaters. o:)

    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Damn it, now I might end Turn 2 with less than 90% mana. This is BULLSHIT.

    Scholars are cheaters. o:)

    Dunno man, early reports say people couldn't do it with 2WHM and 1 SCH, they had to get 3 WHM to still do enrage mode.

    You might be out of a job ;)

    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Well, looks like my raid group is SoL for turn 2 now! =P

    we'll 3 heal it!

Sign In or Register to comment.