As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying a .45

VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Oh good a gun thread. I have a question, Im trying to look into getting a handgun and I want some kind of .45 but m not sure about the specs of different companies, what are some good choices?

Therman Murman?......Jesus.
VBakes on

• ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    VBakes wrote: »
    Oh good a gun thread. I have a question, Im trying to look into getting a handgun and I want some kind of .45 but m not sure about the specs of different companies, what are some good choices?

The one I hear the most loyalty to is Kimber.

Ruger P89 apparently is reputed to be pretty much indestructible, but I don't think it comes in .45.

ViolentChemistry on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007

What price range?

Doc on
  • VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Doc wrote: »

What price range?

ehh, maybe $600-$800

VBakes on
    edited April 2007
    Doc wrote: »

What price range?

ehh, maybe $600-$800

There is a wide, wide variety of pieces in that price range. Go to a shooting range and rent a bunch of .45 ACP handguns and decide what you want.

Doc on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My brother, who already owns an HK P7(which I like, but it's a bit small) and a .45 revolver, has done a lot of research about another pistol he wants to purchase, and he raves about the Kimber 1911.

I was only able to hold one, but I have to say I do love the safety mechanisms at least.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited April 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    My brother, who already owns an HK P7(which I like, but it's a bit small) and a .45 revolver, has done a lot of research about another pistol he wants to purchase, and he raves about the Kimber 1911.

I was only able to hold one, but I have to say I do love the safety mechanisms at least.

I was going to suggest the 1911, but I wanted him to go find out how awesome they are on his own. I own a Kimber Custom 2 1911, and it is right in the middle of that price range he mentioned.

I give it two thumbs up.

Doc on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ruger P89 apparently is reputed to be pretty much indestructible, but I don't think it comes in .45.

It does, it's called the P90.

Like everyone else said, you can't beat a 1911. If for some reason you don't like them, though, the SIG P220 is an outstanding pistol as well.

Fats on
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    My Para is a pretty nice piece of work.

Generally, the rule of thumb I've heard with guns is to a point, you get what you pay for, but after a certain limit you're pretty much buying the name.

siliconenhanced on
  • VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanks, Im looking at this kimber website and like the look of the Kimber 2 .45 ACP.

VBakes on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You'll definitely want to spend some time renting guns first. More modern designs that use .45 ACP tend to use double stack magazines which can be too big for a lot of hands depending on how it's done. Glock's .45s are known for this. H&K's USP line also can buck that line (the compact models are a lot better about it though). Both are still fine firearms if they're comfortable though.

In addition to the Rugers (which are damn good values for the money) and Sigs mentioned, Springfield Armory's XD series has gotten a lot of good feedback since they introduced them back a little while ago. They've made the only double stack .45 that felt comfortable in my hand. Like many others, I wound up going with a 1911 though.

A lot of companies make 1911s and even the ones on the lower side of the price spectrum make a good product.

In the price range you specified, you can find some good stuff from Kimber, Springfield Armory, and STI off the top of my head. Kimber has the most market share (you'll hear more complaints about them too, but that's just because that there's more of them out there that might have slipped QC just by percentages). Springfield Armory has lifetime warranties. STI normally makes higher end models, but their new Spartan model is supposed to be very high quality in your price range. Your local shops might not have them readily available though.

One thing to be aware of is that 1911s can require a break in period, especially as you go up in price. A lot of modern 1911s are constructed with tighter tolerances than the WWI era design which can improve accuracy but lead to an occasional misfeed until you put a few boxes of ammo through it.

For the record, I have a black stainless Springfield Armory since the warranty appealed to me.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    .45's between $600 and $800...

Glock 21/30/36
    H&K USP45

Something different than your run-of-the-mill 1911.

msuitepyon on
  • JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Here is the thing, if you want a .45, realize that almost everuy handgun that uses that liberally borrows from the Colt M1911 handgun, which is still in production as well.

I would reccomend for you a 1911 A2 longslide. not only is it great for target shooting because of the weight (countering recoil) but it is also increadably safe. The Grip safty requires a significant amount of pull before you can fire, the trigger is nice and tight. The gun is also all metal, so you will only need to repalce parts every so often.

I have a shortslide 1911, and I love it, 8 rounds in the box is more then enough, and avoids the double stacking issues mentioned above. I also made a lot of after market modifacations to it, which I will go into if asked.

my point is there is no subtitute for the Colt 1911, except maybe a SAA reproduction

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
    edited April 2007
    JPArbiter wrote: »
    Here is the thing, if you want a .45, realize that almost everuy handgun that uses that liberally borrows from the Colt M1911 handgun, which is still in production as well.

I would reccomend for you a 1911 A2 longslide. not only is it great for target shooting because of the weight (countering recoil) but it is also increadably safe. The Grip safty requires a significant amount of pull before you can fire, the trigger is nice and tight. The gun is also all metal, so you will only need to repalce parts every so often.

I have a shortslide 1911, and I love it, 8 rounds in the box is more then enough, and avoids the double stacking issues mentioned above. I also made a lot of after market modifacations to it, which I will go into if asked.

my point is there is no subtitute for the Colt 1911, except maybe a SAA reproduction

Colt has had various quality control issues over the years. If you look at a 1911, be aware that just because they invented the design ~100 years ago doesn't mean that they are currently the best manufacturer of it.

Doc on