As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pinny Pal Community Thread 2.0 - Please read the first post :)

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I think the minimum number for vendors is something that does need to be looked at, probably for the larger vendors at first. The restrictive distribution has caused ebay pricing to go nuts.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I think the minimum number for vendors is something that does need to be looked at, probably for the larger vendors at first. The restrictive distribution has caused ebay pricing to go nuts.

• Options
    MozleronMozleron WotC Build engineer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's Day 3 and my Pin Pals will be happy to know their sets are complete.

For the Order pin, find someone with a truly epic Mustache. Mine may not work because they know mine now, but they really dig that sort of thing. I went through that booth twice and left with four pins and two gold shirts. I don't know what their fascination with well coiffed facial hair is all about, but it seems to work. I have to say, this whole PITA pseudo-random chance thing is SUCH a Sony thing to do (they are the publisher, and i'm pretty sure they have a hand in how the promotional materials are prepared and delivered, so it makes them an easy target). At least Blizzard and Wizards gives everyone that waits through the line the blasted pin.

For the Tiamat Pin, down at Motif, there is D&D being played on the 4th floor. From what I understand, there's supposedly a 4 hour session going on where everyone at the table gets a pin and a 1 hour intro session where the high roll at the end of the game gets the pin, and it's only one per 1 hour intro table.

• Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    So, my portmortem from PAX Prime:

I've always loved PAX, but after a couple years of pin trading, the dynamic of PAX is even more fun for me. At any given point, you're no more than a few minutes from a new conversation with someone you instantly have something in common with. The regulars were all there, joined by a large group of new folks to the hobby. It's just such a pleasure to see the community grow, PAX by PAX.

As far as the pins themselves, I think there was a nice mix of pins for purchase and pins to find. I'm thrilled that there wasn't a Leeroy Jenkins-esque pin that involved sprinting around and being repeatedly disappointed. But The Order pin came close to giving me that sense of dread. I made my way through the line, which took a solid hour, and left without a pin. It took a lucky trade to get one, which I suppose is the point of this whole hobby, but I wish I was able to grab a pin coming out of that demo. Mercifully, the game itself was a lot of fun and I certainly didn't feel like I wasted my time.

The Order and Tiamat were the hardest, in terms of "hours of waiting." The Next Level was also a time investment, though not nearly as long as I had feared. The playtest for Shadow of Mordor was the only component of the scavenger hunt that was tough, given the consistent line length.

Overall, I walked out with all but four staff pins (Erika, Jamie, Mike, Kenneth). Not too bad. My sincere hope is that PAX Aus has plenty of repeats. My goal was to have a complete 2012/2013 set (which I do), and a complete 2014 set (which I'm four staff pins and a PAX Aus away form getting). I'm going to reassess after that, but so far, I'm thrilled with what I've seen. Both at PAX Prime and over the history of this delightful hobby.

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying pin trading as well, even as a "filthy casual." The ONLY part I didn't like was overhearing some people in line during the pin trading Sunday event talking about how they screwed some people over on trades for The Order pins since they didn't know how much they were really worth. That being said, it was 2 people in a line of a few hundred, so definitely a minority that I'm not concerned about. In the end, I spent $55 on pins (Tearaway pin for Child's Play put me over, but totally worth it for charity. Here was my haul for Prime: http://i.imgur.com/FjjD9sY.jpg

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Hingo wrote: »
    I'm enjoying pin trading as well, even as a "filthy casual." The ONLY part I didn't like was overhearing some people in line during the pin trading Sunday event talking about how they screwed some people over on trades for The Order pins since they didn't know how much they were really worth. That being said, it was 2 people in a line of a few hundred, so definitely a minority that I'm not concerned about. In the end, I spent $55 on pins (Tearaway pin for Child's Play put me over, but totally worth it for charity. Here was my haul for Prime: http://i.imgur.com/FjjD9sY.jpg

Awesome haul, man! Good job on getting 3 of the Iron Horde!

As for your original post; it's probably the only sad part about this community, is that when it comes to "rarer" (harder to get) pins, a lot of people go into "salesman" mode, where they try to hustle you for the pin you might have if you don't know it's true value. I'm guilty of it at one point or another, as I'm sure many are, but I've tried to stick to a motto of, if the trade makes both parties happy, then that's worth it based on the principal alone. Remember, at the end of the day it's about collecting pins you like.

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Agreed. I traded an East Chandra for 3 trade fodder pins, knowing it wasn't a great deal, but got Project Spark, Strip Search, and Zombie Gabe for them at the staff pin trading event, and those were all pins I wanted.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    mightyh0bbesmightyh0bbes Subterranean Arcadian SeattleRegistered User regular
    I was lucky I overheard a couple talking about how they could just buy the bear pin from triple town again if they needed to. It's the one pin I really wanted to get for my girlfriend, she's a huge fan and a badass at the game. Luckily the girl with the pin really wanted Christmas Kemper and I had him. I also managed to trade for a Finn pin for my girlfriends son. I got some pins for my collection, and that's fine, but I'm mostly glad I could get them pins they wanted.

www.paxsignaturegenerator.com:8080/signature.png
  • Options
    MetricalSkyMetricalSky Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    This is my haul for Prime: http://imgur.com/RbodtPt (plus Adventure Time, not depicted). Thanks to everybody who traded with me during Prime!

ItrVoTt.png
  • Options
    Manic2kManic2k Brotherhood of the Squirrel [AUS]Registered User regular
    Trading is so much fun~! :3

Pinny arcade - Pin Pals community page: www.facebook.com/pinnypals
    Community Pinny Arcade Trading web site: http://www.pinnypals.com
    Pinny Arcade - Pin Pals twitter: @PA_PinPals
    SubReddit:http://www.reddit.com/r/pinnypals
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pinnypals
  • Options
    There's actual value (i.e. "what I can get on ebay for this") and "personal value," when it comes to pins. If someone really wants to trade a PAX Aus pin that they lucked into for a less rare pin, they certainly can. So long as they're the ones in the driver's seat. They don't value the pin they have as much as the pin they're trading for, even if the pin they have is worth $40 to the other pin's $20.

All of that is entirely fine, so long as both people feel like they got something good out of the trade and approach the trade with the same general level of understanding. I traded a PAX East D&D 40th Anniversary pin for two staff heads and fodder, since I knew I would have trouble getting the pins. That was a good trade for me, even if ebay tells me otherwise. It would've been a bad trade if I didn't know anything about that D&D pin and someone came up to me, gave me the hard sell, and left me with a pair of cheap pins.

• Options
    akl3inakl3in Registered User regular
    I was looking to get some new fodder... besides the lookout pins, what other set would be ideal for trading e.g. what pin set do people look for to trade?

• Options
    BrewtiConBrewtiCon Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    At the beginning of PAX quite a few people who had a good amount of pins on them had no idea what the sketch set was, but loved how they looked. I don't know how informed people are now after Prime, but if your looking for extras to trade, those went fast for me so they may be a good idea because they seemed slightly less known.

BrewtiCon on
    Take a look at my pins
  • Options
    They're also just very cool looking. All the white is a nice contrast to the other pins.

• Options
    SerpicoBC wrote: »
    There's actual value (i.e. "what I can get on ebay for this") and "personal value," when it comes to pins. If someone really wants to trade a PAX Aus pin that they lucked into for a less rare pin, they certainly can. So long as they're the ones in the driver's seat. They don't value the pin they have as much as the pin they're trading for, even if the pin they have is worth $40 to the other pin's $20.

All of that is entirely fine, so long as both people feel like they got something good out of the trade and approach the trade with the same general level of understanding. I traded a PAX East D&D 40th Anniversary pin for two staff heads and fodder, since I knew I would have trouble getting the pins. That was a good trade for me, even if ebay tells me otherwise. It would've been a bad trade if I didn't know anything about that D&D pin and someone came up to me, gave me the hard sell, and left me with a pair of cheap pins.

Exactly. If both parties leave happy, it doesn't matter the content of the trades. However, if someone purposely is scamming people on bad trades, then that's just fucked up.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the only pin I didn't get through its intended means was the ETC pin for playing Heroes of the Storm, because fuck that line... and I somehow ended up with 3 of them.

• Options
    adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    Hmm, first version of this disappeared into the ether.

Just wanted to say how awesome it was meeting as many of you as I could at Prime. I'm super grateful for this community and for those of you who make it feel like a family.

Hope to see some new & returning faces at South and Prime 15!

ChMDm4Y.png
  • Options
    This is honestly a perfect time for pinnypals to be used. Lots of pins going up and lanyards being updated (just did mine), so instead of trying eBay, go for there first!

• Options
    creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    Mozleron wrote: »
    I have to say, this whole PITA pseudo-random chance thing is SUCH a Sony thing to do (they are the publisher, and i'm pretty sure they have a hand in how the promotional materials are prepared and delivered, so it makes them an easy target). At least Blizzard and Wizards gives everyone that waits through the line the blasted pin.
    I guess we'll have to see what Sony does next time - at East I think they handled Iota/Tearaway and Ellie very well, and giving Prime an unconventional 2nd chance at Iota was nice too.

• Options
    Spy112Spy112 VancouverRegistered User regular
    With another PAX prime come and gone, my brain squirrels have subsided for now. I had a great time the first 2 days of Prime, made some fun trades and bought my sets. Unfortunately on the Sunday I got the worst food poisoning of my life. Serves me right for eating a cream cheese hotdog at 3 am. That put me out of commission for some of the events I was looking forward to the most, mainly the pin trading event, where I had hoped to meet up with some of you fine gentlemen/women. By the sounds of it, everyone had fun and sorry I missed out trading with you guys.

Luckily, I was able to secure a good amount of pins the Saturday and Friday for my pinpals. Lesson leant, avoid hotdog vendors while drunk. Otherwise PAX turns into a 2 day event. Hopefully, I can make it to whatever event comes next instead.

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    I ..just..cream cheese...on a hot dog...wah... NO.

STOP RUINING FOOD YOU SILLY AMERICANS. :D

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular

French fries and gravy, nuff said.

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »

French fries and gravy, nuff said.

This combination has been approved by the Official Fitzian Council of Approved Consumables (tm)

• Options
    Spy112Spy112 VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

I am Canadian, and I still love them. I seem to only be able to find them in Seattle. Also I am well versed in poutine... Add some cheese and shredded beef to that fries and gravy.

Spy112 on
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    You're all nuts.

• Options
    Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
    Hi all - my wife and I go to prime every year and just got into pin trading more seriously. We are also going to pax south this year as it's an excuse to visit some old friends. I'd really like to find someone going to aus and east that would be interested in trading those core sets for south sets. I don't think we fit into either the enthusiast or hardcore levels really, because I don't want to commit to covering that many trading partners and letting anyone down.

If anyone is in the same boat and just wants to trade core sets (or would be willing to pick up extra and ship), let me know. Thanks!

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sammy.Sam wrote: »
    We are also going to pax south this year as it's an excuse to visit some old friends.

Dont you mean "visit some old friends as an excuse to GO TO PAX"

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »

Heh, yeah. We are also excited to check out the Alamo!

• Options
    Sammy.Sam wrote: »
    Ayefkay wrote: »

Heh, yeah. We are also excited to check out the Alamo!

Don't waste your time, highly unimpressive.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular

What if you are out walking the town drunk and need to urinate?

...even if it is the middle of the day...

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options

Then I assume you're Ozzy Osbourne and I would love an autograph.

• Options

What if I want to visit the Alamo not for its historical purpose, but because of that one episode of King of the Hill?

• Options
    edited September 2014

What if I want to visit the Alamo not for its historical purpose, but because of that one episode of King of the Hill?

Then you obviously have your priorities straight and I bid you enjoy what San Antonio has to offer.

Qumaden on
  • Options
    EvenstarEvenstar PAX Prime Princess Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I was encouraged to post here from the trading thread! I am a casual collector, my interest was sparked last Prime by the Kitty Kemper pin (dem sparkly eyes! *_*) but I didn't take the plunge until this years Prime. My collecting will be very focused/minimal. I would be looking for someone(s) to help me obtain a couple pins from the 3 expansion PAXen, either as a proxy buyer for me or I can be a Prime partner for you! I think the community that has sprung up around this hobby is pretty great, and I am somewhat relieved I have not chosen to go hardcore...you folks are crazy :D

• Options
    So, just for some fun, I decided to compare the two Cthulhu Dice pins once I got home. Surprisingly, they actually are very much different. For anyone interested: http://imgur.com/a/nhn9u

Excuse the blurriness. :(

• Options
    Manic2kManic2k Brotherhood of the Squirrel [AUS]Registered User regular
    So, just for some fun, I decided to compare the two Cthulhu Dice pins once I got home. Surprisingly, they actually are very much different. For anyone interested: http://imgur.com/a/nhn9u

Excuse the blurriness. :(

Wow they are arn't they :open_mouth:

you can kinda see the pinny arcade style right?

Pinny arcade - Pin Pals community page: www.facebook.com/pinnypals
    Community Pinny Arcade Trading web site: http://www.pinnypals.com
    Pinny Arcade - Pin Pals twitter: @PA_PinPals
    SubReddit:http://www.reddit.com/r/pinnypals
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pinnypals
  • Options
    I like the first pin better. I actually have it on my pin board.

• Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    Thanks for the comparison. I'm sad they removed the numbers from the dice, but not a big deal.

• Options
    EvenstarEvenstar PAX Prime Princess Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Did pins always have the merch shaped rubber back? If not, when did this switch occur? I haven't been able to figure this out :\

• Options
    CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Evenstar wrote: »
    Did pins always have the merch shaped rubber back? If not, when did this switch occur? I haven't been able to figure this out :\
    I think the Christmas set was the first set to use the Merch-shaped backs. But that's based on my nebulous memory, so I'm not 100% sure.

Cowpuppy on
    Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
This discussion has been closed.